WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Martial Arts

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Hand to hand combat and martial arts training is good stuff to know.

With that said I just walked out of the house to take my boys to school and an Aisian neighbor is in all his garb doing katas in the middle of the street. As I stood there waiting for my garage door to close with my 45 in my 5.11 shirt I couldn't help but think that if he were a bad guy then all that crap wouldn't mean jack at the moment because I'd give him some lead poisoning.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
No offense. But you really sound like you're dying to shoot someone. Probably not the attitude you want going into law enforcement. [emoji15]

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
No offense. But you really sound like you're dying to shoot someone. Probably not the attitude you want going into law enforcement. [emoji15]

Or ur gonna fit right in. Guns and racism. Jk

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score

Tough crowd. Lol.

Just thought it would be a funny story. I never want to shoot someone but I do train. I said if it were a bad guy. Same as he was training. Just saying one seems like the easier method. Carrying you have to have the mindset and figure out what ifs. My what ifs are always to get out if I can.

Working in a prison might be different if on tower duty but I'll make sure not to use the same tactics carrying off duty. Get out if I can. It's funny but somehow my feet can usually be faster than bullets.

Of course without training and the 21 foot rule I'd be toast.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Lol don't fall for it......

I know huh. I've already been tossed to the lions.

Relax guys. I'm going prison guard. I'll be doing the job you all want done. Keep those murderers and rapists behind bars.

Mondorally

Reaction score
I can't help but think of this! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431532145.662204.jpg

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I've shot with you. Keep training. Lol

One time. And I've trained extensively since then. I had an off day and I used to have major trigger jerk issues.

I'm no Chris Costa but I can hold my own in a defensive situation.

Thanks for trolling.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
One time. And I've trained extensively since then. I had an off day and I used to have major trigger jerk issues.

I'm no Chris Costa but I can hold my own in a defensive situation.

Thanks for trolling.

Trolling. Lol

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Poor analogy. In Utah if you pull your .45 on an unarmed person (who isn't in your home) you better have a damn good lawyer cuz you're headed for jail, and you will lose your right to carry. Happened to a local idiot here Dale Shanze a few years ago. Said he felt threatened by residence after he sped through their neighborhood and they confronted him. Point being you can't always hide behind your weapon.

Maybe I should have put it in the gun forum. Just was trying to liven up the story. Couldn't snap a picture of the guy without him seeing.

Isn't something you see everyday. Guy doing Kata's in some sort of Asian silk outfit right in the middle of a residential street.

My gun is for defensive purposes only and if I can rumor somehow otherwise not use it out in public then I'll look for that way. Kind of alluded to that in the original post. Even though I was trying to be funny I mentioned that IF it were a BAD guy. Yep some ninja I'd run and if I had to use it is articulate being scared poopless because that ninja stuff would kill me.

<---- not Billy Bad Ass just trying to be funny an obviously failed.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Poor analogy. In Utah if you pull your .45 on an unarmed person (who isn't in your home) you better have a damn good lawyer cuz you're headed for jail, and you will lose your right to carry. Happened to a local idiot here Dale Shanze a few years ago. Said he felt threatened by residence after he sped through their neighborhood and they confronted him. Point being you can't always hide behind your weapon.

It's actually a good analogy. Unless of course you only think people who possess big scary weapons are capable of killing someone.

On another note... it's funny to me the reaction to what I read as a joke, is aparently being taken seriously. The Indiana Jones reference is exactly how I read it from the get go, and I'm pretty sure that was Vdmm's intent.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
It's actually a good analogy. Unless of course you only think people who possess big scary weapons are capable of killing someone.

On another note... it's funny to me the reaction to what I read as a joke, is aparently being taken seriously. The Indiana Jones reference is exactly how I read it from the get go, and I'm pretty sure that was Vdmm's intent.

I thought he'd take my replies as a joke cause we've joked about this before together. Some people can be so sensitive. [emoji16][emoji16]

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I practice jiu jitsu never had to use it against someone because walking away and diffusing a situation should always be your first instinct.

Thank you exactly what I'm saying now that my joke seems to be taken seriously.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I practice jiu jitsu never had to use it against someone because walking away and diffusing a situation should always be your first instinct.

Absolutely. So what happens when that doesn't work. You think your jiu jitsu is going to be enough?

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I thought he'd take my replies as a joke cause we've joked about this before together. Some people can be so sensitive. [emoji16][emoji16]

Hey man it's Internet. You didn't use smilies. Would be different if you were in person and just ribbing me.

If your intent is just ribbing me and not trolling I apologize for taking offense.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Absolutely. So what happens when that doesn't work. You think your jiu jitsu is going to be enough?

Probably not against an armed person, but an unarmed person I can at least defend myself and get away

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score

It very well may be. Back to the Utah thing and and my comments about ninja's. Same as if I shoot someone it's considered deadly force then someone who is highly trained in martial arts will be charged with deadly force.

Don't some formally highly trained "black belts" have to register as such?

Damn Indiana Jones joke got so serious!

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I'm not aware of anywhere that trained fighters have to register as if they were weapons.

To the point of force used during a fight and possible prosecution after the fact.... It all boils down to the reasonableness of the force that is used, not necessarily how, or with what, the force was applied.

At any rate... the link with the fights lead to some other funny martial arts fight scenes.... :D

Letsride22

Reaction score
OK I get your humor. Guess I just envisioned the "soldier of fortune" guy with his bad ass side arm when I first read your post. Google "Dale Shanze" from Utah and you'll see what I mean.

playdeep

Reaction score
Interesting thread...
The kid out practicing his skills in the street is obviously a tool.
Honestly tho...
In this day & age self defense skills are nice to have, just in case.
I've done muy thai/BJJ for a few years.Not for the badass aspect, but mainly for cardio, flexibility, range of motion as I've gotten older.
Seems like everywhere you go there's some punk ass mma wannabe acting hard.
It's nice be able to at least hold your own in the event that a confrontation takes place.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
OK I get your humor. Guess I just envisioned the "soldier of fortune" guy with his bad ass side arm when I first read your post. Google "Dale Shanze" from Utah and you'll see what I mean.

Oh yeah I'm aware.

Civilian carry (including if you are a cop or some sort of tactician but are not in theater or on duty and just living civilian life) is for defensive purposes. There is no duty to advance and arrest or take out a hostile etc etc.

Get away and be a good witness if you can. Utilizing deadly force whether from a firearm, edged weapon, blunt object, hands or any other type of deadly force should only be used as a last result for to protect from imminent threat to life or limb.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Interesting thread...
Honestly tho...
I've done muy thai/BJJ for a few years.Not for the badass aspect, but mainly for cardio, flexibility, range of motion as I've gotten older.
It's nice be able to at least hold your own in the event that a confrontation takes place.

This was an older guy. Neighbors are Asian and have some visitors over who I don't thin speak English. Think of a taller thinner Mr. Myagi.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I love jiu jitsu Chances of me using it in a street fight are very slim though

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I love jiu jitsu Chances of me using it in a street fight are very slim though

It's very effective against a lone attacker. But all bets are off if the guy's buddies jump in...you're too vulnerable when your busy grappling. That's when the "mixed" part of MMA needs to take over.

I'm not aware of anywhere that trained fighters have to register as if they were weapons.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431544345.930451.jpg

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Started in TaeKwonDo now mixed.

Also Olympic Style and other stuff my Daughter has been doing since she was 4. 10+years. I wouldn't want to fight her.

The main thing is you have something, other than just rolling over and becoming a victim.

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting thread...
Honestly tho...
This post.
"Seems like everywhere you go there's some punk ass mma wannabe acting hard." In a 5 day span? I was told "Im gonna throw you thru the window!" @ Malarkys. "Im going to break you in two!" by some dude@FreshNEasy. I think you are spot on with the MMA dealio,with the younger crowd.I dont ever recall seein so many dudes mouth overloading their ass.Its redic.

playdeep

Reaction score
It's very effective against a lone attacker. But all bets are off if the guy's buddies jump in...you're too vulnerable when your busy grappling. That's when the "mixed" part of MMA needs to take over.

Pretty much...
I've seen a rear naked choke applied in a bar fight...but that was after a series of strikes&kicks...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Here is my take...

As someone else said, the dude is a fucking tool. I have two kids in martial arts. NO WAY would their Grand Master allow such behavior. Our GM won't even allow the kids to wear their DoJo t-shirts in public! They only get to wear them at an event. Much less their Gee's and all that. Total fucking show off doing paterns in a public street. No reason for behavior like that. :thumbsdown

To the point of force used during a fight and possible prosecution after the fact.... It all boils down to the reasonableness of the force that is used, not necessarily how, or with what, the force was applied.

At any rate... the link with the fights lead to some other funny martial arts fight scenes.... :D

I think RD had to register his arms are lethal weapons. Have you seen the size of those things??? :D:yikes:D

Reactions: t&y

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Here is my take...

Total fucking show off doing paterns in a public street. No reason for behavior like that. :thumbsdown

2ff's cousing?:D

I think RD had to register his arms are lethal weapons. Have you seen the size of those things??? :D:yikes:D

You really should lighten up on 'ol Rd, Shorty! :p