WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Max 5

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Whos running one? What are you running it on? Did you go down a pitch? Was it worth the money!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Me idk i put it on this am but haven’t tested yet, hear a lot of good about them.

Mcchevy69ss

Reaction score
I purchased a 30 Max5 this year and i like it alot more than the 28 maximus i took off. It accelerates harder, the boat feels more agile ( might be because the max5 has a short diffuser with no ring). This is on a F26 with SCX/SC with 1.35 lower.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I purchased a 30 Max5 this year and i like it alot more than the 28 maximus i took off. It accelerates harder, the boat feels more agile ( might be because the max5 has a short diffuser with no ring). This is on a F26 with SCX/SC with 1.35 lower.

Does the max 5 turn the same rpm the maximus did even though its a taller pitch or did you loose rpm?

Mcchevy69ss

Reaction score
Hard to say exactly how much it dropped, its still on the limiter with this prop as well, but takes full throttle now to get there.

kiethco

Reaction score
I bought a couple 5 blade props from Hill. I'd never go back to anything less for my application. I have a 26' Sleekcraft Enforcer. Bravo 1. The older anemic 330 hp set up. But, the 5 blade is so smooth and a much better holeshot. I think the 5 blade props are better for mid performance/speed boats. After a certain speed those 5 blades become too much drag, maybe above 65 mph? My boat tops out in the low 60's so I love 'em. I have a 21 and a 23 pitch I believe. In performance they run like a 23 and a 26 or so. I run the 23 on long runs from Laughlin to Havasu or the Dam run, kinda acts like overdrive.

Sandbarhoppen

Reaction score
Just bought a set of Max5 15.25x30s for our DCB M28r. with 400s and we love them. 2 seconds of cavitation then pops on plane. Mid range is fast. Turns great. Runs much better than the last set of 15x32s that were Mercury Labbed. Not sure of top end as we had the top up, 4 people, and 100gal fuel but ran 92 at 5800. Max RPM is 7000.
Talked to Ron Hill and he said he didn't have anything that can do what I needed for our boat but did offer to send me some "new" props and have me test them for free. I do have set of his 32 Clevers and they run very good.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Just bought a set of Max5 15.25x30s for our DCB M28r. with 400s and we love them. 2 seconds of cavitation then pops on plane. Mid range is fast. Turns great. Runs much better than the last set of 15x32s that were Mercury Labbed. Not sure of top end as we had the top up, 4 people, and 100gal fuel but ran 92 at 5800. Max RPM is 7000.
Talked to Ron Hill and he said he didn't have anything that can do what I needed for our boat but did offer to send me some "new" props and have me test them for free. I do have set of his 32 Clevers and they run very good.

Thanks for the feedback. When selecting the max 5 how did you select the correct pitch? Teague said to run the same pitch as i would in a stock bravo. All other 5 blades your suppose to drop a pitch. There expensive and id rather order the right pitch the first time.

farmo83

Reaction score
Teague gave one of his "Teague Talks" on props and he heavily pitched(no pun intended) the Max5. He mentions dropping a pitch or two in selection. It has tons of good info and is available on his facebook page or youtube channel.

In all fairness I later talked BBlades about getting one for my boat and he said they don't work well on boats that already have a lower slip( I have a Schiada RT and the slip is around 9%). From what he said they really shine through on bigger boats with a high slip. This made sense as all the boats teague mentions in his talk were bigger boats. I decided based on this not to go with one.

parker guy

Reaction score
What power do you have?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Teague gave one of his "Teague Talks" on props and he heavily pitched(no pun intended) the Max5. He mentions dropping a pitch or two in selection. It has tons of good info and is available on his facebook page or youtube channel.

In all fairness I later talked BBlades about getting one for my boat and he said they don't work well on boats that already have a lower slip( I have a Schiada RT and the slip is around 9%). From what he said they really shine through on bigger boats with a high slip. This made sense as all the boats teague mentions in his talk were bigger boats. I decided based on this not to go with one.
Pretty hard to beat 9%. My Slip at wot isnt horrible. My slip at 4k rpm is about 18% and I would like to knock that down. I have no clue what the slip should be at in that rpm range, mostly it seems its measured at WOT.

farmo83

Reaction score
Pretty hard to beat 9%. My Slip at wot isnt horrible. My slip at 4k rpm is about 18% and I would like to knock that down. I have no clue what the slip should be at in that rpm range, mostly it seems its measured at WOT.

That's right in the range BBlades said would do well with a Max 5.

Magic1

Reaction score
I run the Max 5 30p on a 27' Daytona, my X is 1/8" below and a Bravo blows out. I also have a speed master shorty 1.35 I did run the Maximus for a short while and it worked better then the bravo but nothing like a max 5, The Maximus I felt was great in mid range but really dropped off on top where the Max 5 keeps pulling. Its expensive but it works for me big time.

Sandbarhoppen

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. When selecting the max 5 how did you select the correct pitch? Teague said to run the same pitch as i would in a stock bravo. All other 5 blades your suppose to drop a pitch. There expensive and id rather order the right pitch the first time.

Lucky for me Tony at DCB knows what their boats like so there was no guess work for me..

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Lucky for me Tony at DCB knows what their boats like so there was no guess work for me..

That helps lol. I think i have it dialed in on what to get.

tx-19

Reaction score
Is the 5 blade harder on your drive?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Is the 5 blade harder on your drive?

Depends how you treat your stuff! I think if you hammer the throttle it could be a little harder on the drive then a 4 blade because your suppose to have less slip.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I'm really interested in trying a Max 5 for the improved mid range slip. My current 30p Bravo 1 on a Lavey 29 seems to really feel like its not hooked up around 4-5k RPM. The question is to use the 15" or 15.25", any thoughts on prop diameter?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I'm really interested in trying a Max 5 for the improved mid range slip. My current 30p Bravo 1 on a Lavey 29 seems to really feel like its not hooked up around 4-5k RPM. The question is to use the 15" or 15.25", any thoughts on prop diameter?

15.25. Its a big boat and that 1/4 will make a difference.

C08H18

Reaction score

I run a Maximus 30p, 15”, on a Heat with high Z dimension. I get some torque lean with the 5 blade until the aft lifts. I would recommend 15” on you V-hull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HBCraig

Reaction score
Really, really good info here. My Ultra 247 with 496 HO runs fairly well. I have a bravo 1 4 blade that is cut down 1/2" in diameter and the "cup" has been taken out. Its also worked up to a 27P from a 26P. When I put my stock 26P Bravo on I feel lots of vibration and it all feels mushy to me

If i am hearing you guys on the Max 5 I would go down a pitch?

I am super interested in trying one of these out. Even if I have to pay for a demo of the prop I will. Does anyone do this?

C08H18

Reaction score
Really, really good info here. My Ultra 247 with 496 HO runs fairly well. I have a bravo 1 4 blade that is cut down 1/2" in diameter and the "cup" has been taken out. Its also worked up to a 27P from a 26P. When I put my stock 26P Bravo on I feel lots of vibration and it all feels mushy to me

Do you know your Z dimension? IMHO, a 5 blade prop reduces slip and cavitation with high Z configurations (only half the prop is biting the water). Should also reduce slip in lower Z configs, but to a lesser extent. You should see reduced slip versus the bravo1, therefore smaller pitch. If you buy from Teague, they will work with you to get the right prop.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

If i am hearing you guys on the Max 5 I would go down a pitch?

I am super interested in trying one of these out. Even if I have to pay for a demo of the prop I will. Does anyone do this?

Whats the max RPM with the stock 26?...

The vibration may come from an unbalanced prop, there not balanced from the factory and may have a different pitch on each blade or could have been dropped.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
@02HoWaRd26 what's the early report on the Max5
I still haven’t taken it out. I’ve had a real shit week, and really hoping it gets better. We are hoping to go out tomorrow after my boy gets out of school...... i mean done playing on the computer as that’s what kindergarten is as well now 🤦🏼

However i have a run from Jack Smith to the Gorge and back is all in the new boat so far, so i don’t have much for experience with it. I did swap drives today to my MMW with the SC lower sitting at -1 due to the spacer that worked best on old boat. So even though i have the Max 5 on there I’m contemplating putting the labbed 28 back on for the first run, for a real life feel of difference.

lavey jr

Reaction score

Here’s a little bit of testing figures I did on a 29 NuEra with Mercury Racing 600 SCi.
Overall the Max 5 handled the best, accelerated the best, came on plane the best.
All this testing was done back to back to back on the same day.

28 bravo stock
5200rpm 79mph. Trim drive 4.5 - left tab 4

27 Maximus
5200rpm 84mph. Trim drive 5 -left tab 5.5

28 max 5 15”
5150rpm 84mph. Trim drive5 - no tab

Last edited:

Boat 405

Reaction score
Here’s a little bit of testing figures I did on a 29 NuEra with Mercury Racing 600 SCi.
Overall the Max 5 handled the best, accelerated the best, came on plane the best

28 bravo stock

27 Maximus

28 max 5 15”
Great info right there! I can appreciate a good test! Thank You!

lavey jr

Reaction score
Great info right there! I can appreciate a good test! Thank You!

You’re welcome! Just trying to help and post real world testing with real life numbers!

I’ve edited the post to add; all that was done back to back to back on the same day

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Overall the Max 5 handled the best, accelerated the best, came on plane the best.

28 bravo stock

27 Maximus

28 max 5 15”
Wow, thats significant, and same boat pretty much, Why less tab (for lean?) What effect do you feel the 15.25" would have? Teague seems to promote this for a big boat like this from my understanding.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Whats the max RPM with the stock 26?...

The vibration may come from an unbalanced prop, there not balanced from the factory and may have a different pitch on each blade or could have been dropped.

I can get it to 4800 or so. My labbed I can get almost to 5000

HBCraig

Reaction score
Do you know your Z dimension? IMHO, a 5 blade prop reduces slip and cavitation with high Z configurations (only half the prop is biting the water). Should also reduce slip in lower Z configs, but to a lesser extent. You should see reduced slip versus the bravo1, therefore smaller pitch. If you buy from Teague, they will work with you to get the right prop.
Good news, I would live to try one. My Z dimension.....I dont know exactly but ots a stock setup with no shorty lower

HBCraig

Reaction score

28 bravo stock

27 Maximus

28 max 5 15”
No trim tabs with the Max 5?
Does your boat tend to walk a bit ans thats why yii need the trim tabs? Mine walks when I get going at high speeds and I absolutely need tabs

C08H18

Reaction score

28 bravo stock

27 Maximus

28 max 5 15”
@lavey jr Thanks for sharing!
Am I correct to assume that you're using the tabs to push down the bow to stabilize at speed? I'm thinking the diffuser ring on the Maximus creates stern lift and degrades handling, thus more trim tab to regain stability. Max5 has no diffuser, thus rides slightly lower in the stern, and stability is maintained w/o tab input. Again, thanks for sharing.

lavey jr

Reaction score
Wow, thats significant, and same boat pretty much, Why less tab (for lean?) What effect do you feel the 15.25" would have? Teague seems to promote this for a big boat like this from my understanding.

In my opinion from what I've tested and felt.
If cruise speed is what you're after and top priority. Maximus.
Best all around handling prop with good plane time, cruise speed, and top end. Max5.
The 15.25 Max5 might be just as good in the mid range cruise as the Maximus but I have not tested one yet. If you go with the 15.25 I'd say drop down 1 pitch, but again I can't say for sure.

I was using tab to counter the lean. The 29 NuEra does not require near as much tab as the 2750 does. With the Max5 in the cruise speed I did have to use a very tiny bit of tab to counter the lean but for some reason at top speed it was not needed with that prop.

No trim tabs with the Max 5?
Does your boat tend to walk a bit ans thats why yii need the trim tabs? Mine walks when I get going at high speeds and I absolutely need tabs

At top speed I did not have to use any tab with the Max5. Cruise speed a very tiny bit on the left to counter the lean. I did not have to use any tab with any of those props I mentioned to control any chine walk, only for the lean.

@lavey jr Thanks for sharing!
Am I correct to assume that you're using the tabs to push down the bow to stabilize at speed? I'm thinking the diffuser ring on the Maximus creates stern lift and degrades handling, thus more trim tab to regain stability. Max5 has no diffuser, thus rides slightly lower in the stern, and stability is maintained w/o tab input. Again, thanks for sharing.

No. I only used the tabs to level the boats lean to the left side.

tx-19

Reaction score
I still haven’t taken it out. I’ve had a real shit week, and really hoping it gets better. We are hoping to go out tomorrow after my boy gets out of school...... i mean done playing on the computer as that’s what kindergarten is as well now 🤦🏼

However i have a run from Jack Smith to the Gorge and back is all in the new boat so far, so i don’t have much for experience with it. I did swap drives today to my MMW with the SC lower sitting at -1 due to the spacer that worked best on old boat. So even though i have the Max 5 on there I’m contemplating putting the labbed 28 back on for the first run, for a real life feel of difference.
Kinda interested in how this works for you.when I talked to tony at dcb he didn’t recommend going to a negative drive because the x demention is already high.i know mine with a couple people takes a little bit to get it on plane

She's Mine

Reaction score
I run the Max 5 30p on a 27' Daytona, my X is 1/8" below and a Bravo blows out. I also have a speed master shorty 1.35 I did run the Maximus for a short while and it worked better then the bravo but nothing like a max 5, The Maximus I felt was great in mid range but really dropped off on top where the Max 5 keeps pulling. Its expensive but it works for me big time.

What size is your Max 5, 15" or 15 1/4"? I have a 27' Daytona and this is good info. How much horsepower are you running and what drive setup do you have?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Kinda interested in how this works for you.when I talked to tony at dcb he didn’t recommend going to a negative drive because the x demention is already high.i know mine with a couple people takes a little bit to get it on plane

I’m still trying to get a real handle on the boat, but we saw 79 with the 26p Max 5 today at limiter, which at 5400 rpm that leaves me at 11% slip which seems extremely high to me.
With the 28p it seemed to get on plane the same as it did the other day with the stock drive, but i was also hauling 40 more gallons of fuel today.

Has anyone tried a Max 5 on a cat 25-27 foot?

I did today on my 26’, but in all honesty I’m still learning how to drive this one.

tx-19

Reaction score
I’m still trying to get a real handle on the boat, but we saw 79 with the 26p Max 5 today at limiter, which at 5400 rpm that leaves me at 11% slip which seems extremely high to me.
With the 28p it seemed to get on plane the same as it did the other day with the stock drive, but i was also hauling 40 more gallons of fuel today.

I did today on my 26’, but in all honesty I’m still learning how to drive this one.
did the hop settle down

farmo83

Reaction score

The 15 was developed for outboard applications. The MAX 5 was originally designed for the 400R. Teague requested/recommended Mercury come up with a 15.25 for big blocks/sterndrive applications(at least he claimed this in one of his podcast). I would try the 15.25 especially in a bigger boat.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Same here around 60
Ok that actually makes me feel a lot better. I spoke with Tony yesterday morning, great information but forgot to bring that part up to him.
love how the boat eats the chop compares to the other one for sure tho.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
The 15 was developed for outboard applications. The MAX 5 was originally designed for the 400R. Teague requested/recommended Mercury come up with a 15.25 for big blocks/sterndrive applications(at least he claimed this in one of his podcast). I would try the 15.25 especially in a bigger boat.

I would agree with that. In testing cutting edge props they sent out a 15” or 14 3/4 and it was like doing a burnout whenever you hit the throttle. But the 15 1/4 worked much better.