Reaction score
It was the first place after the guard shack off 93

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
It was the first place after the guard shack off 93

Next time go to Temple Bar if you want to want seclusion and no fees, and no waits at the guardshack;)

Last edited:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Next time go to Temple Bar if you want to want seclusion and no guardshack;)

Was staying at green valley ranch resort so we went to what we thought was the closest launch ramp. Got in a great day of boarding and surfing. The water was unbelievably calm. Was gonna go back but ended up just staying at the pool the rest of the weekend.

How far is temple bar off of th 93?

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Was staying at green valley ranch resort so we went to what we thought was the closest launch ramp. Got in a great day of boarding and surfing. The water was unbelievably calm. Was gonna go back but ended up just staying at the pool the rest of the weekend.

How far is temple bar off of th 93?

26 miles of desolate 2-lane road

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
It's been there for a while but I've never seen anyone in it so I should have made that clear. Thx.
It opened last may just in time for the big weekend like I said times vary when there somebody in there,I really think it will be closed most the time
due to no funds to support it

Raycer

Reaction score
Sunday, went out today. Have not had much wind the last couple of weeks, what a great day, not that hot and the water is still warm.

ronfab1

Reaction score
Hello!
My son and I are partners in a 96 Cole 454 with trim tabs and all other goodies which we bought used in 2000. We are going to spend 1 day, 1 night and a morning on Mead Sat Nov 5th & Sunday just the 2 of us and his girl friend. Purpose of the trip is to try to catch some good POV (small GoPro type camera) footage on the lake. What I am hoping to get is some reasonably smaller and safer consistent swell patterns where we can find them, going with the wind and at various speeds and trying to keep as smooth as possible.

Obviously our boat is low profile and open bow and we have to be alert to the weather and changes. I picked up a good Marine portable radio to take too. Plan is to launch early Saturday out of Cauville and maybe if room find a spot in Rotary Cove to pull up for Saturday night, real simple basic beach camp with small barbeque and hot dogs. Them on cots me in boat on air mattress. Guessing it will be pretty cold at night and chilly even during day moving on the lake.

But that location is pretty central to take off from and get back to. I have only once gone exploring to any extent on Mead in an even lower profile 78 Witchcraft with 140HP Merc on it around 16 years ago in early October. Got lucky with the weather fortunately and made it all the way up past Iceberg Canyon and camped one night at that big sandy cove I guess not too awfully far from the Canyon. 10 miles? Less? Further?

Coming back though the following morning through Iceberg the wind was coming toward me and starting to kick some 2 foot patterned swells. I got a little nervous but finally when I got to where I could turn left and head toward the Narrows then the land blocked the swells blowing from the Overton arm.

Is there anything of great interest up the Overton arm? Any other tips about that time of the year and from what direction wind might more often be blowing from on the lake, or that is probably a stupid question? I'm excited to get out on it again but a little nervous as I know it can get big in a hurry and it's a low boat. Hopefully I can capture some of the great feeling of moving at speed across patterned textures generated by the wind, and if really lucky get some interesting clouds at well.

Not using the small internal card on this Replay XD HD camera but taking its direct feed from HDMI to a separate small Nanoflash recorder that can record at a magnitude of around 10 times higher bit rate to help with the color and motion.

Thanks for any thoughts

Ron

Attachments

• Boat Cam 1.jpg
    Boat Cam 1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Boat Cam 2.jpg
    Boat Cam 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 396

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Clean Cole:thumbsup

You may want to put a lanyard on that camera and connect it to the bow rail just in case it pops off. ;)

Welcome to RDP:thumbsup

ronfab1

Reaction score
Yep, thanks. I have several lanyards for that little camera & an expensive microphone (want mix of the 454 Chevy pushing us and one of the speakers toward rear of boat with good tunes playing through the sound system) that will be attached to make sure they don't take off from the boat, just in case.

ronfab1

Reaction score
So it is looking like there will be substantial wind forecast for Friday 11/4 and 30% or so chance of some rain. But maybe just reasonable wind at least for part of Saturday and partly cloudy. Then more chance of some rain on Sunday and heavier wind. Bleep! And high of 58 or so and low mid 30s.

I think staying on the lake Saturday night would be risking getting caught in some heavy wind coming back Sunday and maybe rained on with no tent.

It's worth it to me to still fly in Friday night to see how it looks Saturday morning and see if possibly we can't get the video footage and photos I want in maybe 4-5 hours Saturday in the lull. We're already prepared for the cold air on the water and at night, but not if camping is going to put us at risk on Sunday or for rain. My son had the boat out last Sunday out of Boulder since he had already towed it there and kept it in their Vegas shop while working a job, and it was great... around 75 degrees or so and not too much wind.

Only reason we are doing it this late in year was due to his schedule.

PrimeCut

Reaction score
So it is looking like there will be substantial wind forecast for Friday 11/4 and 30% or so chance of some rain. But maybe just reasonable wind at least for part of Saturday and partly cloudy. Then more chance of some rain on Sunday and heavier wind. Bleep! And high of 58 or so and low mid 30s.

I think staying on the lake Saturday night would be risking getting caught in some heavy wind coming back Sunday and maybe rained on with no tent.

It's worth it to me to still fly in Friday night to see how it looks Saturday morning and see if possibly we can't get the video footage and photos I want in maybe 4-5 hours Saturday in the lull. We're already prepared for the cold air on the water and at night, but not if camping is going to put us at risk on Sunday or for rain. My son had the boat out last Sunday out of Boulder since he had already towed it there and kept it in their Vegas shop while working a job, and it was great... around 75 degrees or so and not too much wind.

Only reason we are doing it this late in year was due to his schedule.

http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/lake_mead_crawdad_cove
Not to bad wind forcast.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ronfab1

Reaction score
Thanks PrimeCut. Yeah I have been following those type sites too and they seem to update frequently and all seem to point to Saturday being kind of a lull between fronts late today and around early Sunday.

Actually I definitely want some wind...just a bit though....not the scare the crap out of us stuff I can only imagine you get out there. I could also get super lucky and have some great clouds in the sky too that you get when a front is breaking up..... much better than just empty blue sky.

Keeping fingers crossed. We will probably pull into Cauville around 8:30AM tomorrow and find what's waiting for us. Would even stick around for a bit to see if it was dying down if needed.

FASTJTBT144

Reaction score
Water seems to be coming up fast I was @ temple bar today and came up
almost 16 inches in just 2 days.Stop by calville this afternoon to see a friend and they where moving docks in. Looks like we will have hi water all summer.