WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mean As $&:/! Take 2

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Akita’s?
Great dogs. The one I had was protective of the family and property, super good with my daughter but as a male he usually wouldn't pick a fight but if the other male dog did he'd end it fast. That dog could brawl. Hated cats. Great with female dogs.

Like my Southern Black mouth Curs I have at present, they were raised for hunting so it's in there blood for that type of dog. Both of these Breeds have a unique trait of sifting out dirt bags from good people. If any of my shady buds would try to enter the house they didn't get in, The good could walk right in. Both breeds, no matter how tight him-her and I were, if I were to play fight with the family he was always on there side. I suggest a female if you have the choice.

I'm no dog whisper but I think to be successful if your trying to make a family dog you need to get a puppy and start from scratch.

You and the Fam are great people to try and make a rescue work, pat yourself on the back.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If we are being honest that’s exactly what they do.. The humane society is closed because of covid... so they take a group of dogs out to pet smart or yesterday down to the KAWS building on McCullough and you walk up, pick out your dog, sign some papers and you are on your way..

when we went to pet smart we spent about 30 minutes hanging out with the dog, and I had the kids playing with it to see how it would behave..

Dog was fine, I bought some toys for the dog and brought her home.. She growled at my son when he got some what close.. Then growled at my daughter when she was walking by.. got a little snippy.. Then growled at Stacy.

I took all the toys away.. Then it got weird about the food bowl.. and I couldn’t help but think what happens when my daughter comes out with a stuffed animal and it decides it is a toy etc..

People are making it sound like there is some big attachment here.. That dog wasn’t here for a couple of hours before all that happened.

I have six to eight neighborhood kids over here daily. I think it would be unwise to keep a dog here that has shown aggression towards kids in the first few hours of being here.. but that’s just me.
Had there been no signs of aggression right off the bat it would still be here..

You did the right thing, and you know this.

There's one in every crowd...

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Our Newfoundland used to hang with a Corgi. I'm positive, in that Corgi's mind he was as big as our Newf. They were great playmates.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@RiverDave

If you want the Smartest dog ever, get a Boarder Collie. I'm watching a friends McCallum right now. He is a trip!

His bark sounds like he will rip your arm off and beat you with it. He hates the gardener when he has a leaf blower in his hand!!!!! lol He barks when UPS or any stranger comes to the door, but he figures out real quick if the stranger is friend of foe.

He was totally cool around everyone (strangers and kids included) when we were out in the desert. He would chase after the SxS's when they took off, and easily kept up with them! He would disappear, and then come trotting back to camp awhile later. He just wants to play and play. He very seldom runs out of bullets. Super athletic dogs. He will run and play catch all day. Catch, not fetch. He very seldom lets anything I throw to him hit the ground. He will jump 2 or 3 feet in the air to get it. He's bad azz.

They are attention whores. The don't like to be left alone! With your house and activity level, he will be right at home. Oh yeah, this dude LOVES the water too. ;)

I had another friend who had a regular boarder collie up at Avilla Beach. We would go down to the beach with a tennis ball. I would throw the ball as hard as I could into a breaking wave. He would dive into the wave after the ball, and come up with it every time. People would stop to watch. I have no clue how he did that!!!

Awesome dogs. 👍

@OCMerrill

Last edited:

j21black

Reaction score
We have a poodle that is the best dog ever.

He is headed towards 2 and around the year mark he has started growling at the kids, but only when he is laying by me on the couch or on the bed. They usually try to come and get him (they are 15 &17 so not small children) to take him to their room and he doesn't want to move. I tell them to leave him alone as he is warning them and I will not be upset if he bites at them. Behavior goes both ways.

He has growled at me one time and it was a couple weeks ago when our Golden Doodle was in heat. He has quickly learned that growling is not acceptable.

I wouldn't trade him for the world.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We have a poodle that is the best dog ever.

He is headed towards 2 and around the year mark he has started growling at the kids, but only when he is laying by me on the couch or on the bed. They usually try to come and get him (they are 15 &17 so not small children) to take him to their room and he doesn't want to move. I tell them to leave him alone as he is warning them and I will not be upset if he bites at them. Behavior goes both ways.

He has growled at me one time and it was a couple weeks ago when our Golden Doodle was in heat. He has quickly learned that growling is not acceptable.

I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Lol
1711A9BD-F66F-4DFA-90B7-3025EF2C9F0D.jpeg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
@RiverDave

If you want the Smartest dog ever, get a Boarder Collie. I'm watching a friends McCallum right now. He is a trip!

His bark sounds like he will rip your arm off and beat you with it. He hates the gardener when he has a leaf blower in his hand!!!!! lol He barks when UPS or any stranger comes to the door, but he figures out real quick if the stranger is friend of foe.

He was totally cool around everyone (strangers and kids included) when we were out in the desert. He would chase after the SxS's when they took off, and easily kept up with them! He would disappear, and then come trotting back to camp awhile later. He just wants to play and play. He very seldom runs out of bullets. Super athletic dogs. He will run and play catch all day. Catch, not fetch. He very seldom lets anything I throw to him hit the ground. He will jump 2 or 3 feet in the air to get it. He's bad azz.

They are attention whores. The don't like to be left alone! With your house and activity level, he will be right at home. Oh yeah, this dude LOVES the water too. ;)

I had another friend who had a regular boarder collie up at Avilla Beach. We would go down to the beach with a tennis ball. I would throw the ball as hard as I could into a breaking wave. He would dive into the wave after the ball, and come up with it every time. People would stop to watch. I have no clue how he did that!!!

Awesome dogs. 👍

@OCMerrill

Boarder Collies are amazing dogs. And like you said they demand alot of attention. They are working dogs so always on the move!

My dog that just past a few months ago was a Boarder Healer( boarder collie/blue healer) best dog ever!! Amazingly smart and super friendly!! Always wanted to be with me no matter what I was doing! Had better boat manners than most people!

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Dogo agentino I’m not sure if you can find a real one but my buddy has whats supposed to be one and it’s a super cool dog.

My niece had one, champion breed out of Florida, great dog until it was inside by itself and decided to protect the lake house. Someone the dog had grown up around for 2 years since he was a puppy entered the house alone, went to wash dishes and he stood up and bit her ear, he wasn’t playing with her, he wanted her out, she didn’t even know he was inside at the time. He lives on a big ranch now and the ranch owner says he is the best hog hunting dog he’s ever had, and he’s had many. Big, fast, strong and fearless. He lives outside now, full time, while other dogs get to go inside.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
We Dog sit for a family member. Full Breed Full Size Poodle. We have had Goldens our entire lives. But this Poodle is smart, fast as hell, a bark that will scare you to death and very trainable. Probably one of the smartest dogs i have seen. I know Border Collies are smart but these poodles are real close. Great with kids if you raise them from Pups.

poodle sit.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We Dog sit for a family member. Full Breed Full Size Poodle. We have had Goldens our entire lives. But this Poodle is smart, fast as hell, a bark that will scare you to death and very trainable. Probably one of the smartest dogs i have seen. I know Border Collies are smart but these poodles are real close. Great with kids if you raise them from Pups.

View attachment 963137

Had a couple of toy poodles growing up. You can just talk to them and they understand, crazy smart

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Get a Malamute. If I had to guess I'd bet Sasha had some in her. They love kids and are less hyper and more loyal than a Husky. Only negative I can think of is their hair. If you ever consider one make sure it's not a Husky mix. For those Husky lovers out there I'm not against them, I had one from birth till death and loved him dearly, just not sure he loved me as much.😅 They're just more independent and not quite as good of family dog IMHO.

j21black

Reaction score

Seriously - The best dog I've ever had, and we are dog people. Never considered myself a poodle person, now I won't be without one. Smart as hell to.

When it's bedtime he will start nudging me with nose saying let's go lay down dad.

We studded him out last fall. Made some pretty cool Phantom Golden Doodles.

IMG_3982.jpg
IMG_4130.jpg
IMG_4626.jpg
IMG_4625.jpg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I never understood 'pet weirdos' who feel the need to chastise people online over their decisions with dogs/ cats whatever.
I have a neighbor who has spent close to $20K in vet bills trying to keep this ancient mutt alive. It can barely walk, it's blind, deaf, shit's itself etc. But they love him and it makes them feel good to do what they feel is the right thing. That's totally fine . . . I'm of the school of thought that his quality of life is terrible and it would be more humane to put him down. But do I tell them that ??? HELL NO, none of my business . . . keep your self righteous opinions to yourself. I have always had dogs, usually 2 at a time, currently I have an australian shepherd that's 12 . . . for some reason he'll do the 'herding thing' every once in a great while where he nips at only CERTAIN peoples feet, ankles, like they do with sheep. It's not an aggressive "bite", he's doing the shepherd thing.
He's out front a lot, and recently did it to a little girl . . . didn't break the skin, startled her, but she didn't cry. LUCKY.
Since then he's on a leash when out front and I won't let him out of my site especially with kids around. If the fucker would've actually bit the girl , I would've felt HORRIBLE. . . and then off to vet for a trip to doggy heaven. Not to mention a potential lawsuit from the parents.
Spare me all the 'Pet Savior' jargon.

DWC

Reaction score
I never understood 'pet weirdos' who feel the need to chastise people online over their decisions with dogs/ cats whatever.
I have a neighbor who has spent close to $20K in vet bills trying to keep this ancient mutt alive. It can barely walk, it's blind, deaf, shit's itself etc. But they love him and it makes them feel good to do what they feel is the right thing. That's totally fine . . . I'm of the school of thought that his quality of life is terrible and it would be more humane to put him down. But do I tell them that ??? HELL NO, none of my business . . . keep your self righteous opinions to yourself. I have always had dogs, usually 2 at a time, currently I have an australian shepherd that's 12 . . . for some reason he'll do the 'herding thing' every once in a great while where he nips at only CERTAIN peoples feet, ankles, like they do with sheep. It's not an aggressive "bite", he's doing the shepherd thing.
He's out front a lot, and recently did it to a little girl . . . didn't break the skin, startled her, but she didn't cry. LUCKY.
Since then he's on a leash when out front and I won't let him out of my site especially with kids around. If the fucker would've actually bit the girl , I would've felt HORRIBLE. . . and then off to vet for a trip to doggy heaven. Not to mention a potential lawsuit from the parents.
Spare me all the 'Pet Savior' jargon.
Well said.

KMH

Reaction score
Best $1,200.00 I ever spent Labs are great with kids and they hunt if your into hunting. My granddaughter crawls all over him. He is 1 year old in this picture.

Attachments

• Hank.jpg
    Hank.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 70

bbrownster

Reaction score
Corgi.

Because my neighbor has one and it never fails to make me laugh when I see it.
We have a Corgi and will probably not have any other kind of dog. And yes, they do make you laugh and smile all the time...