WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Meanwhile California DMV will get even worse...

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
California’s Department of Motor Vehicles is dealing with an abundance of problems ranging from long wait times to outdated technology and poor customer service., according to a new report Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office released Tuesday,

The 18-page report largely focuses on the DMV’s challenges with implementing Real ID — a program mandated by federal law that requires people to get an updated ID card by Oct. 1, 2020 if they want to board airplanes or enter other federal facilities without a passport.

As many as 28.2 million Californians could request a Real ID between March 2019 and October 2020, raising the possibility of long wait times for customers.

“The DMV is not out of the woods yet,” the report said. “Significant challenges remain between now and October of 2020, and these strains may continue to mean frustrating wait times for customers.”

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I did my real ID last summer. Recently got a letter from dmv it wouldn't be valid due to their F up lacking 2 forms of verification......they did make it easy though. Your signature on that letter and returned in prepaid envelope qualified as 2nd verification.
Who knew the dmv would make an error?? LOL:p:D

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I did my real ID last summer. Recently got a letter from dmv it wouldn't be valid due to their F up lacking 2 forms of verification......they did make it easy though. Your signature on that letter and returned in prepaid envelope qualified as 2nd verification.

Holy shit are you serious?? Your signature on a letter to a mailing address you jotted down counts as a form of identity verification?? That can't be easily falsified.. Solid work California.

dezrtracer

Reaction score

Same thing happened to me .. Since you sign and return letter means it got to the right address .. Works for me

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Holy shit are you serious?? Your signature on a letter to a mailing address you jotted down counts as a form of identity verification?? That can't be easily falsified.. Solid work California.
See below
Same thing happened to me .. Since you sign and return letter means it got to the right address .. Works for me
Exactly, you are verifying the address they have on file.
I did bring in all the required docs initially but they did not do a secondary at the office.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
You're right but we took our CA tax dollars with us. That's 2 fewer CA taxpayers.
My buddy and his wife moved back to CA. from AZ. They both have high paying jobs, seems like a fair trade for you 2. lol :D

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
See below

Exactly, you are verifying the address they have on file.
I did bring in all the required docs initially but they did not do a secondary at the office.

I get it, but it is you providing the on file address. In the end you could just falsify some other document to accomplish the same thing, it is just a state employee checking a box that you provided 2 different documents confirming residency.

Wavemaker

Reaction score

I had the same experience last December. I tried to get an appointment for renewal of drivers license. They gave me an appointment time of 9:15 am. When I arrived, they had an employee telling those of us lined up that every other person was being redirected to the Van Nuys location of the CA Department of Motor Vehicle’s. Drove over there, had to wait for a parking place to open up, get in a line twice as long as previously encountered. I had my California D/L and six other bills (as utility bills, bank statements, as the DMV now requires as proof of I.D., and verification of your real address. Last week I received a registered letter from the DMV again seeking further verification of Identification and proof of a real California residential address. Unbelievable! I visited the Auto Club of Southern California, (I am a long-time member), they handled the mess while I was there, and said I can expect another letter from the DMV soon. About two weeks later, I received a letter request I sign the letter, and include photocopies of two utility bills as proof of residency. I did as requested and I sent it registered mail with a return verification of receipt. It worked! California DMV is really screwed up.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I get it, but it is you providing the on file address. In the end you could just falsify some other document to accomplish the same thing, it is just a state employee checking a box that you provided 2 different documents confirming residency.
Initially you have utility bills or the equivalent. They did not accept copies, it had to be an original document from the source.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I had the same experience last December. I tried to get an appointment for renewal of drivers license. They gave me an appointment time of 9:15 am. When I arrived, they had an employee telling those of us lined up that every other person was being redirected to the Van Nuys location of the CA Department of Motor Vehicle’s. Drove over there, had to wait for a parking place to open up, get in a line twice as long as previously encountered. I had my California D/L and six other bills (as utility bills, bank statements, as the DMV now requires as proof of I.D., and verification of your real address. Last week I received a registered letter from the DMV again seeking further verification of Identification and proof of a real California residential address. Unbelievable! I visited the Auto Club of Southern California, (I am a long-time member), they handled the mess while I was there, and said I can expect another letter from the DMV soon. About two weeks later, I received a letter request I sign the letter, and include photocopies of two utility bills as proof of residency. I did as requested and I sent it registered mail with a return verification of receipt. It worked! California DMV is really screwed up.
More than anything, this is costing them(us) a shit ton of extra money to back track, mail, paper, etc.....which we all(tax paying citizens) end up paying for because some dumbfook in a cubicle couldn't interpret the federal regulations correctly.

BajaMike

Reaction score
California’s Department of Motor Vehicles is dealing with an abundance of problems ranging from long wait times to outdated technology and poor customer service., according to a new report Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office released Tuesday,

The 18-page report largely focuses on the DMV’s challenges with implementing Real ID — a program mandated by federal law that requires people to get an updated ID card by Oct. 1, 2020 if they want to board airplanes or enter other federal facilities without a passport.

As many as 28.2 million Californians could request a Real ID between March 2019 and October 2020, raising the possibility of long wait times for customers.

“The DMV is not out of the woods yet,” the report said. “Significant challenges remain between now and October of 2020, and these strains may continue to mean frustrating wait times for customers.”

As said above, if you have a passport, you don’t need a “Real ID”. A passport is a “Real ID”. Passports are good for 10 years. If you are getting a new passport, get the “Passport Card” for an extra $20. Its good for travel in the U.S., Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean, and it fits in your wallet.

AEA

Reaction score

How do you think it should be done?

TCHB

Reaction score

Come on this has not changed since I got my drivers license in 1971!!!!!! It was out of control then without a 18 page report.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
How do you think it should be done?

They cant have a million people going back to the DMV to show one more document to the state employee.

But my point is they don't let me sign a letter to verify my residency for any other personal document I have ever obtained in my life.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
They cant have a million people going back to the DMV to show one more document to the state employee.

But my point is they don't let me sign a letter to verify my residency for any other personal document I have ever obtained in my life.
Up until a few years ago fishing and hunting license did count as proof of residency to buy a gun in .ca. those were filled out and signed by you under pentailty of perjury. Why they changed that I have no clue.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me earlier this year. I got a letter from the DMV, signed it & returned it in their prepaid envelope. Were we supposed to get anything else in the mail after that? I was a little confused when I first got the letter thinking that my new ID wasn’t valid, but I guess the actual drivers ID is fine, it’s just the travel part that was the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be all we needed to do, so long as you sent it back by the deadline on that letter.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My opinion is this: It is not a "liberal" thing or "Right Wing" outlook, it's just pure bureaucratic BS. 100 people working in a government office, or 20 in a AAA office? Even here in Az I have only been in MVD to get my license swapped over.
CA is closed. Please shut the door behind you on your way out.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:
I did shut the door behind me, but some gardner left the front gate open:D I'd latch it for you, but I try not to make it past Needles!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Rule #1 about moving out of CA. Tell everyone how terrible CA is.

Still trying to decide if they are convincing us or themselves lol. [emoji23]

Denial is not a river in Egypt :D

I didn't make CA DMV the way it is. Nor do I write the news. I saw the article and shared it. If you don't like it complain to the liberal news media for their "spin" :rolleyes:

milkmoney

Reaction score
As said above, if you have a passport, you don’t need a “Real ID”. A passport is a “Real ID”. Passports are good for 10 years. If you are getting a new passport, get the “Passport Card” for an extra $20. Its good for travel in the U.S., Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean, and it fits in your wallet.
I have both

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
Denial is not a river in Egypt :D

I didn't make CA DMV the way it is. Nor do I write the news. I saw the article and shared it. If you don't like it complain to the liberal news media for their "spin" :rolleyes:

If I ever go to the DMV and have a good time I’m going to seriously rethink what I’m doing for fun [emoji16]

Wavemaker

Reaction score
More than anything, this is costing them(us) a shit ton of extra money to back track, mail, paper, etc.....which we all(tax paying citizens) end up paying for because some dumbfook in a cubicle couldn't interpret the federal regulations correctly.
Exactly! A bunch of dummies with a State Government job. Paper shufflers, that are just putting in their hours per day.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy but our family has had 3 very recent, very positive experiences with the DMV in San Bernardino (gasp). Because the location in Redlands is such a horror show we went to San Jacinto/Hemet to do the Real I.D. deal. My wife and I both took current passports and utility bills. I got mine, she didn't because her name wasn't on the bills. Said they would send paperwork to get around it so no need for a second visit. Papers never came. Then the letter like mentioned that we can just verify by returning the envelope.
Since then my son got his learner's permit easy on his own, and my wife and her friend finally got licensed.
Berdoo worker mentioned that he and others had worked in Redlands and hated it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Rule #1 about moving out of CA. Tell everyone how terrible CA is.

Still trying to decide if they are convincing us or themselves lol. [emoji23]

No, no, Cali is wonderful! The roads are great, the air is clean and everyone is very polite and relaxed:D

Arizona is full of gun toting, Trump fan, rednecks...oh wait, that's not really a bad thing...It's really hot here, cactus everywhere, and rattlesnakes, yep, lots of them;)

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I'm going to the Needles DMV.. I oppose this plan.
Get there early or set aside a couple of hours. I did mine in June there on a Friday heading for Laughlin and it wasn't the most pleasant experience I've had at a DMV.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Get there early or set aside a couple of hours. I did mine in June there on a Friday heading for Laughlin and it wasn't the most pleasant experience I've had at a DMV.

Because it was a Friday...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
The new "Real ID" is a Federal Law. Not a state law. :) Carry on with @WhatExit? weekly CA bashing thread. :D

I believe the CA DMV employees are union. I also believe they’re one of the few states that have union representation and consistently ranked amongst the worst [emoji16]

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I believe the CA DMV employees are union. I also believe they’re one of the few states that have union representation and consistently ranked amongst the worst [emoji16]
SEIU Local 1000. :D I don't know about the ranking. :rolleyes: :)

JBS

Reaction score
AZ is similar on the real Id front.

Why is it easier to get a passport than a state issued ID. I will just continue to use my passport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lf2

Reaction score
Because it was a Friday...

I went to Needles DMV tues of 4th of july week, line was out the door. I axed that plan and hit blythe DMV on monday morning going home, there was 2 people in there.