WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Merc 220 Laser Fix or repower

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
Guy's,

I have a Merc 220 Laser XRI , this was the first year FI for Merc. they only ran them for 1987 and 1988.
so I have this motor in great shape except for the computer we "think"... everything else checks out , Good compression ,Spark and fuel. it runs but doesn't seem to know what it wants to do sometimes it idles , sometimes she takes off to the moon.... any body know anyone that is the Guru for old 2 stroke mercs??? the other option is scrap this one and repower with new or newer used.

any info would be great!!!

Mike

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Guy's,

I have a Merc 220 Laser XRI , this was the first year FI for Merc. they only ran them for 1987 and 1988.
so I have this motor in great shape except for the computer we "think"... everything else checks out , Good compression ,Spark and fuel. it runs but doesn't seem to know what it wants to do sometimes it idles , sometimes she takes off to the moon.... any body know anyone that is the Guru for old 2 stroke mercs??? the other option is scrap this one and repower with new or newer used.

any info would be great!!!

Mike

I have a buddy with a Mariner version of that motor with 2 bad holes but complete otherwise he's looking to unload. PM me if you'd like his info.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Honestly, I've found the stator on the old 2.4 Mercs do all kinds of weird things when they're going bad. When my uncle's went bad this last time, it wouldn't even start. It would intermittently short out the kill switch wore which would prevent the engine from firing.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
I have the same motor on my 21 Eliminator sport cruiser. I got it not running ?? And had to change all the ign system. Sent the ecu to Brucato and they checked it out for like $85 bucks and had injectors cleaned and flowed

Good running motor now. But nothing like a newer 2.5. 250/280 hp!!!!

Nielmcque

Reaction score
I have a bunch of the electronic parts for your motor cheap if you are interested.