WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Merc 525 Whipple ecu

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Anyone here have any real world experience with doing the ecu upgrade through Whipple for a 525? I know a lot of people claim no power and a lot of soot on the transom with the upgrade for the 496, but i actually noticed a decent difference on my last 496 not on top but midrange and i wipe the boat like crazy regardless.

But I’m looking for an honest reason to or not to do the upgrade on my 525 as I’m bored and can’t afford right now to go any crazier yet. Still waiting to see what happens with my deal at ProCharger.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Peter I think Mark @SFV2RVR 525 has been reflashed but he bought the float that way, maybe he has some input.

Yes, i bought a conquest Top Cat 2 with a 525 and realized it’s been flashed after my rpm’s top out at 58-5900. I’m told stock 525’s are normally in the 5200 range. I’m not sure though if it was sent to Whipple or who did what to it. After i found this out i have always ran 91 octane and have zero soot on the transom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springfield

Reaction score
Yes, i bought a conquest Top Cat 2 with a 525 and realized it’s been flashed after my rpm’s top out at 58-5900. I’m told stock 525’s are normally in the 5200 range. I’m not sure though if it was sent to Whipple or who did what to it. After i found this out i have always ran 91 octane and have zero soot on the transom.

My stock 525 taps out at 5200, I can run any grade fuel and seems to run the same.

575cat

Reaction score
Look on the back of the ECU for markings and info by Whipple .

hallett3

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the same but I heard not much gains. Maybe 3 mph I, plus prop change also . Don’t know if true. Like to hear also who’s done this and see if it’s worth it also.

Last edited:

farmo83

Reaction score
My Dad asked Boostpower about the ECU tune he had and they said you feel it more in the mid range then on the big end. Not sure how it relates to they whipple but can't think they would be that different.

spark2678

Reaction score
Following.....

I know CPPerfomance has stage 1, 2 and 3 upgrades. Stage 1 and 2 seem minimal as far as work and price, stage 3 is more work an da lot pricier.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the same but I heard not much gains. Maybe 3 mph I, plus prop change also . Don’t know if true. Like to hear also who’s done this and see if it’s worth it also.
The advantage I’m looking is able to run a little bigger prop for a better cruise speed. I have a 26p Max5 28p bravo and a 29p Bravo. To be able to run that 29 in the summer for trips to havasu or on the lake would be ideal, vs top end. I’ve seen a tick over 84 already so I’m plenty happy there but that was dancing on the limiter in May.

Magic1

Reaction score
The advantage I’m looking is able to run a little bigger prop for a better cruise speed. I have a 26p Max5 28p bravo and a 29p Bravo. To be able to run that 29 in the summer for trips to havasu or on the lake would be ideal, vs top end. I’ve seen a tick over 84 already so I’m plenty happy there but that was dancing on the limiter in May.

I had a stock 525 for some time. I did the flash before my current motor so I really know the difference if you want my 2c. you will not spin a bigger prop I tried. The motor will rev higher but does not go much past 5600. You need to run 91 so think about that also. After the flash I ran the exact same RPM and speed. What I did do was lab my prop and with the flash it ran a few hundred more RPM and maybe picked up 1-2 mph max. hard to tell because every day on a boat is a different temperature , different weight and different water. OH and the back of boat sooted more with the tune and 91.

parker guy

Reaction score

I had Boostpower flash mine, he put a sticker on the outside of it. You couldn’t see it unless you removed it.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I had Boostpower flash mine, he put a sticker on the outside of it. You couldn’t see it unless you removed it.

I haven’t removed anything. I’ll have to look on the back of it

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I haven’t removed anything. I’ll have to look on the back of it

Yea BoostPower just puts his sticker on the back, Whipple uses their own but everyone I’ve seen also included the date and what rpm

Last edited:

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
For 1-2 mph I wouldn't touch a factory Mercury motor.

MoreyMcC

Reaction score
Anyone here have any real world experience with doing the ecu upgrade through Whipple for a 525? I know a lot of people claim no power and a lot of soot on the transom with the upgrade for the 496, but i actually noticed a decent difference on my last 496 not on top but midrange and i wipe the boat like crazy regardless.

But I’m looking for an honest reason to or not to do the upgrade on my 525 as I’m bored and can’t afford right now to go any crazier yet. Still waiting to see what happens with my deal at ProCharger.
I have stock 525s and with Bravo 1 30P lab props I can run 100mph, but midrange sucks and burns a lot of fuel! With factory Bravo 1 I can run 85 mph but at 55 and 60 it’s almost half the fuel consumption as the lab props. If you want to go faster just go with Mercury Lab props but don’t get to far away from the gas station.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I have stock 525s and with Bravo 1 30P lab props I can run 100mph, but midrange sucks and burns a lot of fuel! With factory Bravo 1 I can run 85 mph but at 55 and 60 it’s almost half the fuel consumption as the lab props. If you want to go faster just go with Mercury Lab props but don’t get to far away from the gas station.
I’m just bored and realistically not looking for more speed just more in the middle. I’m bored and for 800$ I’m thinking why not.