WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercruiser 150 Fourstroke

X Hoser

Reaction score
So, I’ve never owned an outboard before but that may change here real soon. Looking at a 2019 Bently Pontoon boat with a Mercruiser 150 Fourstorke. Regular maintenance and annual oil changes. No hour meter and have not scanned it but owner says it has about 600 hours. It’s been a rental on a Tennessee lake and looks pretty darn good…like it’s been taken care of and not abused. It’s a Trip-toon. Any red flags? Good motor?? TIA

Xring01

Reaction score
The newer outboards are alot more reliable than I/O’s. Alot less moving parts. Better fuel economy, Lighter weight.

I had a pair of Yamaha 250’s 4strokes with over 2400 hrs when I sold that boat.
I had a pair of Yamaha 200 hpdis with 750ish hours when I replaced them with the 250s, for fuel economy reasons.
Pair of 150s, pair of 115 yamahas.
Pair of Honda 130s.
I have never had an outboard leave me stranded on the water. I used to fish offshore. All of the above engines where on my offshore fishing boats.

If the motors are used regularly and normal maintenence, then I would expect 6000 hours out of modern day outboards.
I have seen some guys go over 10,000 hours.
Knew a guy who bought a set of outboard from an auction that sold Gov Supplus stuff. Set of Yamahas had over 12000 hours and where still running, but they needed alot of work. We wanted them for the parts.

So, Hopefully this shows what I think about outboards.

BTW. My Hurricane Deckboat, has 2007 Yamaha 150 stroke with 139hours… I expect it to last me a very very long time, if I dont sell it.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Neighbor has a '18 toon with a Merc 150. Roughly 500hrs. No issues. Pushes his 22' toon 42mph solo, but drops into the mid 20's with 6 people. Stupid quiet, and able to interface with a Simrad GPS for digital gauges.

X Hoser

Reaction score
The newer outboards are alot more reliable than I/O’s. Alot less moving parts. Better fuel economy, Lighter weight.

I had a pair of Yamaha 250’s 4strokes with over 2400 hrs when I sold that boat.
I had a pair of Yamaha 200 hpdis with 750ish hours when I replaced them with the 250s, for fuel economy reasons.
Pair of 150s, pair of 115 yamahas.
Pair of Honda 130s.
I have never had an outboard leave me stranded on the water. I used to fish offshore. All of the above engines where on my offshore fishing boats.

If the motors are used regularly and normal maintenence, then I would expect 6000 hours out of modern day outboards.
I have seen some guys go over 10,000 hours.
Knew a guy who bought a set of outboard from an auction that sold Gov Supplus stuff. Set of Yamahas had over 12000 hours and where still running, but they needed alot of work. We wanted them for the parts.

So, Hopefully this shows what I think about outboards.

BTW. My Hurricane Deckboat, has 2007 Yamaha 150 stroke with 139hours… I expect it to last me a very very long time, if I dont sell it.
Info on the Hurricane if you want to sell it? PM me please