WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercruiser 496 Mag/HO Coolant consumption Issue

Badold65

Reaction score
Hello Inmates, I'm looking for assistance in diagnosing a problem with a recent engine build. My boat is a 2007 Conquest Top Cat II which was originally equipped with a 496 Mag/HO. I recently built a new 540 cubic inch motor to replace the 496. Most all parts were purchased from Larry at Raylar Engineering. The Block is a Brand new P.S.I. Short-block with all forged internals and 10:1 compression. The heads are Raylar's aluminum heads. The head gaskets are Cometic M.L.S. at .040" The motor has approximately 10 hours of run time on it. I have noticed that when running the motor at between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm it looses approximately 24oz. of coolant every 2 hours or so. There is no water in the oil under these conditions so it appears it is entering the exhaust system and then exiting the boat. My original thought was that I had a leak in the heat exchanger, so I ran a test where with the boat on the trailer. I began by removing the end caps from the heat exchanger and then drying it out completely. Then I pressurized the coolant system and left it sitting for several hours. The first few times i did this I only pressurized it to 9 or 10 psi. I did not notice any loss of coolant. I then began pressurizing to 13 to 14 psi and noticed a loss of approximately 32 ounces of coolant over a period of several hours of continued pressurization. There was no evidence of coolant in the heat exchanger. I then checked the cylinder bores with a flexible scope and noticed evidence of water in the #4 and #5 cylinders. I then drained the oil and found the missing coolant in the pan. I don't believe it's a problem with the head gaskets because the engine has not gotten over 165 degrees ever. The only other issue which may have a bearing on this, is when I originally put the engine together I used ARP thread sealent on the head studs. After running the engine I noticed that the head studs were weaping coolant where the head stud nuts and washers contacted the heads. I pulled each stud individually and applied a new sealant (Permatex aviation sealer) and re-torqued each stud. I did not remove the valve covers and re-seal the studs under the covers, as I was not seeing any evidence of water/coolant in the oil. My next plan is to pull the valve covers and re-seal the studs under the cover, but I really can't see this being my problem. Another possibility is that I may have reversed the head gaskets which are right and left side specific. I was aware of this possibility during assembly, and really don't think this happened, but who knows.

Apparently when the motor is running the coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and immediately being forced out the exhaust, so no coolant in the engine oil. When pressurized and not running, the coolant is entering the combustion chambers and then leaking past the piston rings into the oil pan. I really don't want to pull the heads to replace the head gaskets, but if the re-sealing of the studs under the valve covers doesn't solve my problem, the head gaskets are my next option unless someone here can offer some other possibilities that I haven't thought of.

Thanks very much,

Any theories will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long winded thread.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
from what you describe, at a minimum you need to redo your head gaskets and straight edge the block and heads. theres no getting around it hopefully its just gaskets and not warps or cracks.

Last edited:

Badold65

Reaction score
Thanks, it just seems that they should have been straight/flat as both the heads and the block were brand new virgin pieces. But the truth be told, I assumed they were and didn't check them.

mattyc

Reaction score
I dont know that I would be as concerned about straightness as much as surface finish, especially on the block. Mls gaskets require a finer finish than the old school gaskets ( cant think of the composition ) Straight and proper finish with good mls and fasteners has very good resistance to gasket failure. Brand new blocks require final machining in various locations. Nice approach to diagnosing by the way
@Badold65

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
It's absolutely critical to have the correct surface Ra prep if you are using MLS gaskets.

Most modern MLS gaskets require at least 40-60 Ra , there should have been specifications included with the gaskets requirements. You can't trust manufacturers to always have assembly ready products, I always check everything myself as part of the build process.

Some other good tips I have found are here : https://auto.jepistons.com/blog/tips-to-properly-install-an-mls-headgasket

Also a good article on Ra and Rz definitions and general recommendations for installing aluminum heads : https://www.onallcylinders.com/2022...ecrets-to-installing-modern-mls-head-gaskets/

Hope you find your problem on the teardown, sucks to have something go wrong with a build.

4Waters

Reaction score
It's absolutely critical to have the correct surface Ra prep if you are using MLS gaskets.

Most modern MLS gaskets require at least 40-60 Ra , there should have been specifications included with the gaskets requirements. You can't trust manufacturers to always have assembly ready products, I always check everything myself as part of the build process.

Some other good tips I have found are here : https://auto.jepistons.com/blog/tips-to-properly-install-an-mls-headgasket

Also a good article on Ra and Rz definitions and general recommendations for installing aluminum heads : https://www.onallcylinders.com/2022...ecrets-to-installing-modern-mls-head-gaskets/

Hope you find your problem on the teardown, sucks to have something go wrong with a build.
^^^^this^^^^

And don't think because it's new it is straight. An old friend had a machine shop, when I got my Edlebrock Victor heads he put them in the mill to machine the correct finish for MLS gaskets and I was shocked how bad the heads were. They were not flat at all and he said it is common with every manufacturer, he remachined every head and block he got.

Badold65

Reaction score
Thanks, I hadn't really considered the intake gaskets.