WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercrusier 502 advice

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
You mean 220 degree oil temp? Have seen quite a few ZZ502's live long healthy lives even with the stock cam. I think a cam change and they would be solid performers in a boat for the money. Some ZZ572's also. Agree with you though.

Correct. No car engine is set up intending to run 120F oil temps like some boats do. So you either have to run lighter oil or an oil thermostat.

humvkev

Reaction score
also . something to think about... merc has a great reman program with a great warranty , and this is what I would do if it was a boat I would keep,..
shop rebuild seem to alway be the start of problems for me,.. always some reason why they leak oil and blow up,... you ran it too hard and such....
with a merc motor you can run it on pin all the way to china,... if it blows, they give you another one...
Cool, I will have to look into this as a viable option because I would like to replace with a new engine that would give me many years of trouble free performance.

rrrr

Reaction score
Looking for advice. I just received the results of an engine inspection; the boat has a 502 with just under 800 hours. The leak down test results are as follows from cylinder 1-8: 14%, 15%, 20% 74%, 57%, 38%, 20%, 25%. I understand that 10-15 is good and normal and 74% is less than ideal (bad). I guess my question to you all is this something that could get a top end refresh for a few more years of use or is this really the end of life and in need or a rebuild. The engine starts and idles well, seems to get up from say 2,000-4,000 rpms, and the boat seemed to get to 4,600 rpms on the water without hesitation.

Thanks!

I ran across this ad on the Dallas Craigslist. Dunno anything about the company, but for $6,450 with a core exchange you can get a new 502 short block rated at 500 HP. The long block is $9,680, no core exchange.

Judging from the ad, they build a lot of engines. It's worth a phone call.