WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercury’s Press release later today?? Possible sneak peek

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I don't follow the outboard market very closely, but my guess is that it's an electric or hybrid outboard.

I guess I missed that one by a mile..

Pretty cool release, although I still expect an electric/hybrid option at some point

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Yamaha's 425 looks pretty.stupid if this thing weighs under 1000 lbs. Still can't figure out why Volvo bought seven marine to do nothing with the motors.

that lower... I don't know... Pushing a big cc or a yacht at speed putting that much pressure on the down shaft seems risky.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
You know what also had independently steering lowers.... OMC Stringers! I wouldn't go as far as to say most innovative but 600hp under a 1,000lbs (if thats true) is very impressive

PlanB

Reaction score
There was a longer video on FB this morning (don't know how to post here) of them running four of these on a CC. Pretty impressive looking package...

Edit: Found it on Youtube.

Go to the 4:40 mark of this video.

Last edited:

McKay

Reaction score
2 speed sounds cool. Big fishing boats should love it. Don't see them going on any of the fast center consoles though.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
This is a game changer for big CCs and fishing boats now, notice there is a 500 hp SeaPro variant.

Yachts by Bob

Reaction score
The lower unit turns and the way it trims is different than anything I have ever seen as well! It’s definitely different!

pretty cool, yet weird at the same time. I like it!
The way the lowers work are similar to Volvos IPS pods, I bet Merc develops a forward facing lower later on like the Volvo pods, its amazing to see the difference between pulling the vessel vs pushing it, and makes you look like a pro backing in a boat to a slip with the joy stick.

680_A2009_1020.png

This is what these bad boys are designed for, Tiara is going to kill it with these.
2020-12-08_ke_refresh_600_rear_3-4.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Are these things 6 figures? Asking for a friend of mine.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The way the lowers work are similar to Volvos IPS pods, I bet Merc develops a forward facing lower later on like the Volvo pods, its amazing to see the difference between pulling the vessel vs pushing it, and makes you look like a pro backing in a boat to a slip with the joy stick.

View attachment 971897

This is what these bad boys are designed for, Tiara is going to kill it with these.
View attachment 971899

Well Merc did just release the fwd facing Bravo4. But their latest iteration of Zeus pods are still rear facing. With the props at the rear, they are somewhat protected by the hard stagnet nose of the bullet. Out in front, they perform better but are way more exposed and do take a beating.

You will see that medium and large cruisers are making the move back towards traditional shafts with a lot of the newer electronic controls (ie joysticks) being adapted towards running those. Pod boats require nearly 2x the engine room space and are 4x as costly just for maintenance not to mention the added cost of the boat build at the beginning.

I agree with what you say they are designed for. Not really my cup of tea boat wise but good for them for expanding the market into a newer type of boat

Now I want to see a speed master lower for this thing!

HST4ME

Reaction score
I bet that v 12 sounds heavenly all uncorked....shame.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Watched the video from start to finish. This bad boy has some pretty awesome features, beyond the unconventional steering and dual prop -
  • integral 2 speed transmission
  • 45 degree steering angles
  • 7.6 Litre - 464 cubic inch !

stingray11

Reaction score
Watched the video from start to finish. This bad boy has some pretty awesome features, beyond the unconventional steering and dual prop -
Yea and from What I saw 500 and 600 hp. Only thing they didn't say was the out of this world price tag. How thick of a transom do you need for 4 of them?

Yachts by Bob

Reaction score
Well Merc did just release the fwd facing Bravo4. But their latest iteration of Zeus pods are still rear facing. With the props at the rear, they are somewhat protected by the hard stagnet nose of the bullet. Out in front, they perform better but are way more exposed and do take a beating.

You will see that medium and large cruisers are making the move back towards traditional shafts with a lot of the newer electronic controls (ie joysticks) being adapted towards running those. Pod boats require nearly 2x the engine room space and are 4x as costly just for maintenance not to mention the added cost of the boat build at the beginning.

I agree with what you say they are designed for. Not really my cup of tea boat wise but good for them for expanding the market into a newer type of boat

I have to disagree with you on shaft boats coming back, they do have there place, but I work for a Tiara, Princess, and Cruisers, dealer for the west coast and ill tell you the only shaft boats being built are going to Mexico, and some shallow parts in Florida, pods are the future hands down, every boat we have on order is Volvos with pods, have you seen the size comparison of a cat vs a Volvo its not even close the cat is huge and takes up more room in the engine room.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you on shaft boats coming back, they do have there place, but I work for a Tiara, Princess, and Cruisers, dealer for the west coast and ill tell you the only shaft boats being built are going to Mexico, and some shallow parts in Florida, pods are the future hands down, every boat we have on order is Volvos with pods, have you seen the size comparison of a cat vs a Volvo its not even close the cat is huge and takes up more room in the engine room.

I have and have done final destination rigging on a couple Cruisers rigged with IPSs ive also seen the damage that a single minor ground strike does to these things and have been witness to the plethora of electronics control issues they have that are caused by seemingly minor things that don't bother most other boats.

There is a large group of buyers out their who want lower cost of ownership than an IPS can deliver. A joystick drivable shaft boat fits the bill. So do these new big outboard boats for that matter.

If you play with Princesses, im sure you are in a deeper water market with bigger boats than I am. The biggest things I play with aside from Summersets are in the 50-60ft range where priorities may be different than your customer base.

Yachts by Bob

Reaction score
I have and have done final destination rigging on a couple Cruisers rigged with IPSs ive also seen the damage that a single minor ground strike does to these things and have been witness to the plethora of electronics control issues they have that are caused by seemingly minor things that don't bother most other boats.

There is a large group of buyers out their who want lower cost of ownership than an IPS can deliver. A joystick drivable shaft boat fits the bill. So do these new big outboard boats for that matter.

If you play with Princesses, im sure you are in a deeper water market with bigger boats than I am. The biggest things I play with aside from Summersets are in the 50-60ft range where priorities may be different than your customer base.

im still waiting to hear from someone saying they struck something, fingers still crossed lol. I really think these new outboards will give Volvo a run for there money, I see lots of people switching to these. I just sold a tiara 53 fly and that was part of the sale, he was going back and fourth on the pods because of a previous bad experience with first gen pods, but we got the deal done and he is as happy as can be. Yeah the Princesses are nothing short of amazing can't wait to see the new x95 that thing is insane.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
im still waiting to hear from someone saying they struck something, fingers still crossed lol. I really think these new outboards will give Volvo a run for there money, I see lots of people switching to these. I just sold a tiara 53 fly and that was part of the sale, he was going back and fourth on the pods because of a previous bad experience with first gen pods, but we got the deal done and he is as happy as can be. Yeah the Princesses are nothing short of amazing can't wait to see the new x95 that thing is insane.

Their performance is unrivaled. I will give you that. Just way too many electronics to go wrong that are way too sensitive IMHO.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Azpod applications have been very successfully used on deep water ships for years. Congrats to Merc. Looks like an awesome package.

Taboma

Reaction score

Just to be sure, did you say a customer just orderd a Tiara 53 Flybridge with outboards ? If so what and how many ?

Yachts by Bob

Reaction score
Just to be sure, did you say a customer just orderd a Tiara 53 Flybridge with outboards ? If so what and how many ?
Lol no its got Volvos and pods, it was a boat we had in inventory. so far the 48 LS is going to be the largest outboard boat tiara has built with those new Mercs

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Yamaha's 425 looks pretty.stupid if this thing weighs under 1000 lbs. Still can't figure out why Volvo bought seven marine to do nothing with the motors.

that lower... I don't know... Pushing a big cc or a yacht at speed putting that much pressure on the down shaft seems risky.
That's it for the Yamaha.
But,,, die hard Yamaha people.

Taboma

Reaction score
That's it for the Yamaha.
But,,, die hard Yamaha people.
Used to be they only spoke Yamaha south of the border 😂 But Yamaha and Honda were the blue water salty engines, seems Merc has made great strides in that market.

Reactions: TPC

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Don’t rule out Yamaha. Go to the far east , or many other areas of the world. They don’t even know what a Mercury is. Competition is GREAT for the consumer.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score

Shlbyntro is pretty much Saying the same thing that I also heard many times. In South Florida, the pods boats are just harder to sell, mainly because of the maint costs. But they also draft more, than straight shaft diesels. I’d rather have a protective keel, than a bullet head, as my first point of impact. He is correct, many manufacturers are backing away from pods.

On the other hand...... You won’t find an easier boat to drive as a pod driven boat. You can make that boat do things you never thought possible......... BUT.... Then came joystick controls, which did the same thing, without the need for pods.

Commercial Tugboats and commercial tow boats (not seatow) are pod driven.

The new 600’s with Pods style drive.......... The Boating Gods have answered many prayers! Amen Hallelujah

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Don’t rule out Yamaha. Go to the far east , or many other areas of the world. They don’t even know what a Mercury is. Competition is GREAT for the consumer.

Visiting family in NOLA it was all Suzuki like they cornered the market in Wee-Zee-Anna.
Rare as a bible in a whorehouse in So Cal.
Yep, duoprop:
6A9AC116-4C55-47E0-A9F5-617C7ED45D26.jpg

Last edited:

attitude

Reaction score
Cheaper than I guessed. I was thinking more in the range of 90k. I want one on a toon...
I still think 2 400s are a better option, they will weigh about the same have 200 more HP and have better maneuverability around the docks with twins. Now two on a 30ft+ toon would be bad ass!

Justfishing

Reaction score
Given the weight to hp rating how much untapped potential is there. Will it be tweaked or super charged getting it to 700-800 hp

PlanB

Reaction score
I still think 2 400s are a better option, they will weigh about the same have 200 more HP and have better maneuverability around the docks with twins. Now two on a 30ft+ toon would be bad ass!

I want to see performance numbers. The dual prop will definitely help at slow speeds and the way the gearbox actually rotates to steer will probably be much better as well. Twins might still be better. But if you could get 75 mph out of a single O/B toon it might be a cool package, especially for an existing boat that is not rigged for twins.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Visiting family in NOLA it was all Suzuki like they cornered the market in Wee-Zee-Anna.
Rare as a bible in a whorehouse in So Cal.
Yep, duoprop:
6A9AC116-4C55-47E0-A9F5-617C7ED45D26.jpg

That motor is supposed to be VERY efficient and reliable. Expect to see many more of them on new builds.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Seriously, who would have thought there would be a V12 outboard from Merc with 600 hp! If ya said this 10 years ago, people would say your nuts. Very cool to see them pushing the envelope.