WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercury 115 CT or Mercury 150

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Going to order a new toon tomorrow. It is a Sylvan 8522 LZ. Tri-toon They put the 115 CT on them. I am wonder if it would be better to just go with the 150. Not sure how much more the cost would be. When I casually asked back when I first started talking with them they said 'not very much".

Use of the boat will be mainly slow cruising and some fishing. When grand kids visit it will be tubing etc.. I am not a speed guy on a boat, I like to cruise and listen to music.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
They’re both great engines that basically run and get their 100 service.

You’re not going to see a huge speed difference, probably 2-3 mph, at the cost of ~4 more gallons of gas per hour at WOT.

The 150 would be better if you plan on pulling skiers and tubes a lot due to its extra torque. It’ll cost more to get into, about the same to service, and use more fuel. If you plan on turning it in a few years, it’ll probably also sell faster.

The 115 does everything it’s supposed to do, including sip fuel at idle and part throttle. The 115 is a bit lighter and will float a tick better as well.

Neither will disappoint you, you’re the only one that can justify the extra coin for the 150.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
They’re both great engines that basically run and get their 100 service.

You’re not going to see a huge speed difference, probably 2-3 mph, at the cost of ~4 more gallons of gas per hour at WOT.

The 150 would be better if you plan on pulling skiers and tubes a lot due to its extra torque. It’ll cost more to get into, about the same to service, and use more fuel. If you plan on turning it in a few years, it’ll probably also sell faster.

The 115 does everything it’s supposed to do, including sip fuel at idle and part throttle. The 115 is a bit lighter and will float a tick better as well.

Neither will disappoint you, you’re the only one that can justify the extra coin for the 150.

Thank you. What do you mean by "get their 100 service"?

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Oil change, belt replacement, thermostat check, impeller. Don’t quote me on that, but general maintenance and wear items.

I think spark plugs are at 300 hours.

I do know that there are bar codes on the engine to scan with your phone that direct you to informational videos on doing your own service, if you’re into that kind of thing.

YMMV

Xring01

Reaction score
For resale purposes, I tend to think the 150 hp would be in higher demand than the 115. Due to that, I would put the 150 on it, because it typically sell faster than the same boat with the smaller engine package.

Checkmate21

Reaction score
I have a 24' Party Barge Tritoon. It has a 150 Merc 4 stroke. The motor runs like a fine watch and hardly uses any fuel. I would go with the 150 just because of how smooth and nice they are. Crusing around about 15 mph, and 5 mph in and out of coves and the marine, it uses about 1.5 gph. It has 90 hours of run time and used 133 gallons of gas. This is at Big Bear Lake that has an elevation of 6750' It runs 28mph flat out which is good enough on a 35 mph speed limit lake.