WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercury 525 EFI w/ XR drive longevity

Terry G

Reaction score
Anyone know what I should expect on maintenance cost for a Mercury 525 EFI w/ XR drive (200 hours)? 27’ v bottom boat. I’ve heard $10k+ rebuild @ 250 hours, but idk. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
they used to say you should do the valve springs at about 250 hours, dont know if that still holds true I would think a rebuild would be at least 500 hours, does depend on how you run it and how you mantain it, did springs on mine at 250 hours has around 430 hours now still seems fine of course I do run snake oil( amsoil dominator] and dont really run it that hard and change fluids frequently. valve spring change not that pricey and if oil,pressure is good compression and leak down good should be good for a few more seasons . mine is 2003 in a 29 fountain. oh as for the drive change oil every 25 hours and have somebody good check it out xr drive is a weak link even with the 525 had mine gone through about 275 hour replaced top gear set put heaver top cap on and added drive shower, still doing good no mechanic just personal experince hope its usefull

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Anyone know what I should expect on maintenance cost for a Mercury 525 EFI w/ XR drive (200 hours)? 27’ v bottom boat. I’ve heard $10k+ rebuild @ 250 hours, but idk. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I recently bought a 255 Hallett with a 525/XR combo and talked to my buddy Dustin (Menace Marine) about it. I bought with 272 hours on mine and have 297 on it now.

They say the top end needs a refresh at AROUND 300 hours. I was half paying attention when we talked and I thought he said around $4k for the top end or maybe $8k, not sure.

My plan is to run this season and then get a leak down done during my full service to determine what we do before next season.

I am super easy on the drive but know that they do need a rebuild at some point. I will just lean on my mechanic as to when the time for that is.

Depending on how the engine was ran, can really skew the hour threshold on the top end re build. I know guys well over 400 hours and the motors are still sealed.

We are already saving to add a small Whipple once the top end needs to be done so hoping that we get at least one more season out of it before going down that road.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
they used to say you should do the valve springs at about 250 hours, dont know if that still holds true I would think a rebuild would be at least 500 hours, does depend on how you run it and how you mantain it, did springs on mine at 250 hours has around 430 hours now still seems fine of course I do run snake oil( amsoil dominator] and dont really run it that hard and change fluids frequently. valve spring change not that pricey and if oil,pressure is good compression and leak down good should be good for a few more seasons . mine is 2003 in a 29 fountain. oh as for the drive change oil every 25 hours and have somebody good check it out xr drive is a weak link even with the 525 had mine gone through about 275 hour replaced top gear set put heaver top cap on and added drive shower, still doing good no mechanic just personal experince hope its usefull
Good info on the drive. I replaced the oil in my 400r every 10 hours. Changing the oil is good insurance because you can see at that time if there is any metal there.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Top end, from what I’ve been told isn’t quite the right wording. It needs new valve springs and roller rockers. Something about the bearings in the stock rockers just aren’t all that and the springs start to get soft around there.
But seems the 250 hour thing is nominal as some peoples 250 are all over 3000 rpm and some have 187 hours at idle to 1500.
A scan of hours and a good leak down and compression check seems more ideal to me before anything.

My boat got the scorpion roller rockers and valves done at 258 hours, but I’m planning still this off season to upgrade to the Crane rockers that Teague recommends and doing a full leak down etc. with the added boost i need to pay a little closer attention to mine to keep her alive.
The 525 is a low compression motor built with a lot of great parts tho I’d say a well maintained 525 shouldn’t have any issues with 5-600 hours as long as they aren’t neck rung out hours.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
ive had a few 525's with Bravos and as mentioned above, valve springs at 250 hours, at 600 do a leak down and decide then if a rebuild is needed,( probably not)
the down side is the headers, have them tested every year, very easy to lose a motor because of leaking header,
i run the ocean a lot so get air time, with bravos you never know when they will let go, my last cig i just sold the bravos and got imco scx drives, ended up costing the same as doing rebuild of the bravo and never had an issue

port austin pirate

Reaction score
right about the headers mine is on a trailer so I just pull the blue plugs en drain them when she sits, I beleive they improved them but not sure what year they changed. you can pressure test them yourself or send them in mine are original and no issues

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Top end, from what I’ve been told isn’t quite the right wording. It needs new valve springs and roller rockers. Something about the bearings in the stock rockers just aren’t all that and the springs start to get soft around there.
But seems the 250 hour thing is nominal as some peoples 250 are all over 3000 rpm and some have 187 hours at idle to 1500.
A scan of hours and a good leak down and compression check seems more ideal to me before anything.

My boat got the scorpion roller rockers and valves done at 258 hours, but I’m planning still this off season to upgrade to the Crane rockers that Teague recommends and doing a full leak down etc. with the added boost i need to pay a little closer attention to mine to keep her alive.
The 525 is a low compression motor built with a lot of great parts tho I’d say a well maintained 525 shouldn’t have any issues with 5-600 hours as long as they aren’t neck rung out hours.

Lifters too from what i understand.

If i was gonna do it i would probably ditch the heads completely and just throw aluminum heads on it, especially if it's a lake boat.

This does mean changing the exhaust manifolds too as the 525 has a funky exhaust flange pattern.

It's getting harder and harder to find anyone that can do valve seats in iron heads properly.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
the 525 does have aluminun heads they are edlebrock I believe, Merc had them do a funky bolt pattern on the exhaust so cmi merc headers have a different bolt pattern than std chevy, you can ugrade to a better alum head I think Brodecks but not sure

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Lifters too from what i understand.

If i was gonna do it i would probably ditch the heads completely and just throw aluminum heads on it, especially if it's a lake boat.

This does mean changing the exhaust manifolds too as the 525 has a funky exhaust flange pattern.

It's getting harder and harder to find anyone that can do valve seats in iron heads properly.
Yea as said the 05 and newer for sure runs an aluminum head already. As well yes lifters are part of the 250 hour ordeal i did forget that part.

the 525 does have aluminun heads they are edlebrock I believe, Merc had them do a funky bolt pattern on the exhaust so cmi merc headers have a different bolt pattern than std chevy, you can ugrade to a better alum head I think Brodecks but not sure

I wonder what Teague uses on the 525/625 upgrade. There’s a handful of great flowing heads out there but yea seems hard to beat a good set of Brodix heads.

relaxalot

Reaction score
I have a 600 sci.. rebuilt the motor at 425 hours.. still ran fine with no problems.. I did it out if caution. Had a leak down done and it was perfect before rebuild.. Just saying that stock heads worked fine for me for 425 hours plus. Do a leak down every year after 250 hours.. Rebuild when it shows degradation.
The motors are stout.. the drives are another story.. change drive oil every 25 hours

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Just turned 300 hours on mine this weekend. I’ll finish out this season then have the valve springs & rockers replaced.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I just picked up my HP500 EFI from JGM Motorsports in Valencia and it was ~$9K for a full rebuild.

Its been almost a year in the making due to supply chain and Covid staffing issues.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Can you hint on where you got those drives for same as rebuild? I'm in need of a preemptive upgrade.
I went to Mario at So Cal marine and he sold my bravos ( do that before you break them) So with what i got for my drives and buying the imcos i was right at the same as what it would have cost to do rebuilds on the bravos.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Can you hint on where you got those drives for same as rebuild? I'm in need of a preemptive upgrade.
Is the cheapest I have seen but they are on the east coast. Maybe they would be willing to dropship so it goes straight to you. Also D1 Performance in Havasu is an Imco Distributor from what I have heard so you might be able to get a deal from him. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I’m looking for this combined with my SC lower on mine at some point.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Is the cheapest I have seen but they are on the east coast. Maybe they would be willing to dropship so it goes straight to you. Also D1 Performance in Havasu is an Imco Distributor from what I have heard so you might be able to get a deal from him. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I’m looking for this combined with my SC lower on mine at some point.
Yea and now understandable what was meant by similar price as a rebuild.
My MMW Worx upper was 7500$ Plus figure the cost of the housing, should be able to get 6500-7000$ for said upper specially as the gears are nearly impossible to get these days. Than your 7k out of pocket to step to the SCX…. Now I’m thinking who’s looking for a swept worx upper lol…..