WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercury 525 Question

Mikes56

Reaction score
Long time lurker, new member and I have a question about my boat. Hope someone can help me.

I've got a Mercury 525 in my 2008 Topcat I, and a very reputable shop told me that as part of the maintenance I need to change the gear oil in the fuel pump or some kind of pump. Apparently there is a small housing that has two meshing gears that has gear oil in the reservoir.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't find it. It's supposed to be on top of the engine somewhere.

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Long time lurker, new member and I have a question about my boat. Hope someone can help me.

I've got a Mercury 525 in my 2008 Topcat I, and a very reputable shop told me that as part of the maintenance I need to change the gear oil in the fuel pump or some kind of pump. Apparently there is a small housing that has two meshing gears that has gear oil in the reservoir.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't find it. It's supposed to be on top of the engine somewhere.

Yup 100% true. It’s on the sea water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Sea pump. Impeller and change gear oil in it. Bottom left of motor. Hard to drain and fill while installed.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replys. I recently changed the rubber impeller because I sucked up some sand. When I was changing that, I didn't see anything that looked like a reservoir that would hold oil. Did I just miss it?

Mikes56

Reaction score
As far as the photos, I'll try. My wife is a good sport. We get to Havasu 3-4 times a year, and have a Timeshare at The Nautical.
We're actually thinking about moving there in a few years when my wife retires. Each time we go, we get a little closer to moving there.
Spent New Years there at a buddy's house and drove the CanAm all over town for the 3 days. I think we had more fun on the CanAm than we've had on the boat :)

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replys. I recently changed the rubber impeller because I sucked up some sand. When I was changing that, I didn't see anything that looked like a reservoir that would hold oil. Did I just miss it?

You probably just pulled the impeller housing off. It is attached to the actual sea pump. You will see mechanical fuel attached to it. Has a fill plug on the side, but no drain plug.
Easy way is to remove the complete assembly and take it to your bench.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I have removed the fuel pump, and sucked the gear oil ( contaminated with fuel ) out with a turkey baster and replaced mid season, rather than remove the whole assembly.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I have removed the fuel pump, and sucked the gear oil ( contaminated with fuel ) out with a turkey baster and replaced mid season, rather than remove the whole assembly.

Fuel pump? I thought it was the sea pump?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
There is no reservoir, look at the front housing of the waterpump where the fuel pump is attached, you will see 1 or 2 straight blade screwdriver plugs, the one oriented at the top is the fill level, take it out with a screw driver and use a squirt bottle to fill to that level

Waterpump.png

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Leave it to Racey mcracerson to make it plain as day. Good man.

There is no reservoir, look at the front housing of the waterpump where the fuel pump is attached, you will see 1 or 2 straight blade screwdriver plugs, the one oriented at the top is the fill level, take it out with a screw driver and use a squirt bottle to fill to that level

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Fuel pump? I thought it was the sea pump?

So the deal is when GM migrated from the Mark IV to the Gen V big block they eliminated the mechanical fuel pump boss from the block casting, so no more camshaft driven fuel pumps, Mercury put a cam inside the waterpump body to drive a standard style cam diaphragm fuel pump to solve this. It also has the added benefit (though rare) that if you throw the waterpump belt, you kill the fuel supply and the motor shuts down)