WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercury 600sci Whipple Upgrade

rchelm19

Reaction score
Wondering if a whipple upgrade to my 600sci would lower reliability, anyone have a 600 with a whipple on it?

JD Dearden

Reaction score
I know a lot of people have done this. I did it on my last boat and loved it. Not sure I have ever read someone regretting it...You should be just fine.

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
I hear great things about the upgrade......

rchelm19

Reaction score
I know a lot of people have done this. I did it on my last boat and loved it. Not sure I have ever read someone regretting it...You should be just fine.
How much more horsepower did you get out of it?

JD Dearden

Reaction score
How much more horsepower did you get out of it?
I don't know exactly but I think the numbers that are posted on the Whipple site are pretty accurate. The boat had a very noticeable difference.

relaxalot

Reaction score
IMG_3820_zpsvw5hiyur.jpg Use the search on RDP and you can find a lot of info. I had a stage 2 for over 300 of the 405 hours I have on my boat with no problems. Loved it... Now I have the stage 4.. I don't know how much hp it actually is but I know it is a bunch... I had Aaron at Absolute Speed and Marine do mine. He can tell you all about it!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
View attachment 480481 Use the search on RDP and you can find a lot of info. I had a stage 2 for over 300 of the 405 hours I have on my boat with no problems. Loved it... Now I have the stage 4.. I don't know how much hp it actually is but I know it is a bunch... I had Aaron at Absolute Speed and Marine do mine. He can tell you all about it!
With the cam upgrade does it sound more "lumpy" at idle?

relaxalot

Reaction score
With the cam upgrade does it sound more "lumpy" at idle?
I think it sounds the same. I can tell it is slightly richer and it has a different "feel" while it warms up. After about 5 mins it settles down and acts like it always has. Sounds the same. Very good dock manners. No problems.

Stayin'ontop

Reaction score
I think it sounds the same. I can tell it is slightly richer and it has a different "feel" while it warms up. After about 5 mins it settles down and acts like it always has. Sounds the same. Very good dock manners. No problems.
relaxalot
What prop are you running to get that 100 mph? I have an '08 sportdeck with a Merc 600 and a stage II whipple upgrade. I can get about 91 with a 5 blade 28". I think for the time being I am going to invest in a 4 blade 32" and maybe when its time for a motor refresh, upgrade to the stage IV.

I have spoken with Aaron at Absolute and he is familiar with the boat and its previous owner. I am second owner and still learning the ins and outs of the boat.

Thanks!!
-Curt

Stayin'ontop

Reaction score
Also, what drive are you running? I've got a stock XR for the 750HP we have now, but that stage IV upgrade puts the motor up in the 850-900HP range. I would imagine the drive needed some love to????

thanks for the info!!

relaxalot

Reaction score
Also, what drive are you running? I've got a stock XR for the 750HP we have now, but that stage IV upgrade puts the motor up in the 850-900HP range. I would imagine the drive needed some love to????

thanks for the info!!
I run a max machine XR drive. Hydromotive P5X 30 pitch prop. Or you can run a Maximus 30 pitch. Both props or five blades. I believe you are talking about a Howard sportdeck?

Stayin'ontop

Reaction score
I run a max machine XR drive. Hydromotive P5X 30 pitch prop. Or you can run a Maximus 30 pitch. Both props or five blades. I believe you are talking about a Howard sportdeck?
Yes its an '08 Howard Sport Deck. We have the stage 2 upgrade on the 600. Love it but am interested in the stage 4 upgrade when i get a motor refresh at 300 hours or so. At 190 hours now. Just not sure how beefy i need to make the drive to handle that. Running an XR now