WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercury Smartcraft Vessel View Mobile Kit

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Anyone use this?
It's plug n play for my Verado 300 outboard.
It has quite a few more systems to monitor than just my typical gauges like fuel consumption, engine temp, fault codes, maintenance records, etc.
Seems like a nice set up for $225
Mercury Vessel View

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I have one, its still in the box. I need to look into putting it on the motors.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I have it and it's pretty nice to be able to look at specific engine functions. If you have one engine, it's a pretty easy install. If you have two engines, it's more complicated and more parts are required (at least in my case).

Englewood

Reaction score
I've had 2 and cant get them to work. Tried 2 engines also.

H2O

Reaction score
Works fine on my 300xs....kinda fun to mess around with. Can't comment on accuracy of fuel consumption yet, but seems worth the $$.

PlanB

Reaction score
My toon came with Smart Craft gauges for the Verado, so I can scroll through the various screens and get a lot of info. It seems that the Vessel View would be easier to look at, but I have been thinking about hard mounting a Vessel View screen instead. I have heard mixed reviews in on phone app.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I put one on my spectra with a 496 HO and it works great. The fuel computer is really accurate. It was about a 5 minute install.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
My Nordic is a 2004 - where’s the engine serial# so I can make sure it works before I buy it? I’m going to do it, if I can make sure it will work on mine - I’ll probably never put it down once I get it connected - paranoia/ worry / too many sensors

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Just looked. Mfg Oct 2003-no end cap that looks anything like that - i'm SOL

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
My IO serial number was on my air cleaner
I think the main thing is to find the purple connector that has the end cap on it then you should be fine
View attachment 875720

If it isn’t on the plastic engine cover, there should be a label with a bar code and the serial number on it toward the back of the engine. I think both of mine had that label somewhere near the bell housing. I have pictures of them, but I zoomed in so close I can’t tell exactly where the labels were, but it’s definitely toward the back.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Just looked. Mfg Oct 2003-no end cap that looks anything like that - i'm SOL

2003 should be capable. There could be 3 different caps on your harness. Could be a yellow termination resistor like 185EZ posted, a purple weather cap, or a red termination resistor. It’ll be in the harness somewhere along the topside of the engine. You might have to remove the plastic engine cover to get to it.

I went through all sorts of BS getting mine to work on a twin engine setup, so I’ve gotten pretty good at it.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I took the cover off and did find one with a purple end connector, but i was looking for one like posted. I'm going to call Merc tomorrow and ask directly

MeCasa16

Reaction score
My engine cover said smartcraft right on it. 496 HO

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I took the cover off and did find one with a purple end connector, but i was looking for one like posted. I'm going to call Merc tomorrow and ask directly

That’ll be the one. The Vessel View Mobile module has two connectors. One has a purple weather cap on it. You’ll remove that cap from the Vessel View Mobile and set it aside. Then take the cap that is on your engine harness and put it on the Vessel View Mobile where the purple cap was. Then you’ll take the other connector on the Vessel View Mobile and plug it into your engine harness where you removed the cap that you transferred to the Vessel View Mobile. That’s all it takes from a wiring standpoint on a single engine setup. Secure the module where it won’t be damaged by any moving or hot parts, and you should be good to go.

Since the cap on your engine is purple, it’s probably the same weather cap that comes on the module and not a termination resistor, but switch it from your engine to the module just in case. If it were red or yellow, then it is a termination resistor, but I don’t think the purple ones are. You never know though. If it doesn’t work after doing that, then you may need a termination resistor and Merc can advise you on which one.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We run it on our 300xs. Useful for sure

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

Englewood

Reaction score

tankman

Reaction score
I had one on my boat for a couple months. I took it off before i sold the boat to put on a different one and never did.
I'll sell it for $100. Havasu pick up only No shipping.
Brian

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Do I need to buy this?

Is there a cap on your engine harness already where you would plug the Vessel View Mobile module in? If so, take that cap off of the harness and put it on the connector on the Vessel View Mobile module that does not plug into the boat harness. Take the other connector on the Vessel View Mobile module and plug it into the engine harness. If it still does not work, then you will need the termination resistor, which is what you posted in your link above. Seems like some boats need that termination resistor and some don't. Kind of weird.

Are you a single or dual engine? That makes a big difference too. I had to have one of my engines reprogrammed to identify itself as a port engine so the module could tell which engine was which. They were both programmed as starboard, so the module wasn't able to read the data accurately.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I had one on my boat for a couple months. I took it off before i sold the boat to put on a different one and never did.
I'll sell it for $100. Havasu pick up only No shipping.
Brian
I'll take it if it's compatible with the 496HO.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Do I need to buy this?

Is there a cap on your engine harness already where you would plug the Vessel View Mobile module in? If so, take that cap off of the harness and put it on the connector on the Vessel View Mobile module that does not plug into the boat harness. Take the other connector on the Vessel View Mobile module and plug it into the engine harness. If it still does not work, then you will need the termination resistor, which is what you posted in your link above. Seems like some boats need that termination resistor and some don't. Kind of weird.

Are you a single or dual engine? That makes a big difference too. I had to have one of my engines reprogrammed to identify itself as a port engine so the module could tell which engine was which. They were both programmed as starboard, so the module wasn't able to read the data accurately.

^^^This, but if for some reason you do not have the cap, than yes that first amazon link is the one you should need.

Singleton

Reaction score
Installing 1 in Jan/Feb and moving away from a analog speedo and tach. Going glass screen in same spot as those gauges