WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Merry Christmas

jonnyd

Reaction score
Here we are again with another Christmas season upon us. I think back to my childhood and all of the things we did as a family to celebrate the Christmas season. Our church put together a program each year called the "Singing Christmas Tree" which was a big deal in our community. They actually built a large stand for the choir to stand on and they would sing Christmas songs for an hour or so. Boy do I miss those times, especially this year with covid restrictions and such.

What are some of your favorite Christmas memories? What did your family do or maybe still do to celebrate the season? What do you wish you could do to make this your family's best Christmas ever?

Merry Christmas to all of the RDP family!

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Today we got a Christmas card from a soldier of Desert Storm. We get one from him every year. The timing couldn't have been any better. the wife has been baking cookies all day. I was out working in the shop when I saw the mailman come by. Grabbing the mail I went into a house, I could smell gingerbread boys coming out of the oven and we both started to laugh when I showed her the card. December of 2003, a good friend was in a forward unit in Iraq. They were air dropping the mail in and you could only send a certain size box. The wife decided to send cookies, flea collars and envelops with perfume on them to all the men he was with. I can't remember how many boxes we did. I doubled vacuumed sealed the flea collars and envelops, she baked cookies. Then we hand wrapped every cookie and layered them in thin foam sheets until the box was packed tight. Labeled each one and sent them off in the morning. The cookies got there mostly in one piece. I was told soon after the boxes arrived they went 30 days without a shower. They treated the collars and envelops like gold and the cookies were gone the first day. It was a small things that made a big difference. Merry Christmas.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Today we got a Christmas card from a soldier of Desert Storm. We get one from him every year. The timing couldn't have been any better. the wife has been baking cookies all day. I was out working in the shop when I saw the mailman come by. Grabbing the mail I went into a house, I could smell gingerbread boys coming out of the oven and we both started to laugh when I showed her the card. December of 2003, a good friend was in a forward unit in Iraq. They were air dropping the mail in and you could only send a certain size box. The wife decided to send cookies, flea collars and envelops with perfume on them to all the men he was with. I can't remember how many boxes we did. I doubled vacuumed sealed the flea collars and envelops, she baked cookies. Then we hand wrapped every cookie and layered them in thin foam sheets until the box was packed tight. Labeled each one and sent them off in the morning. The cookies got there mostly in one piece. I was told soon after the boxes arrived they went 30 days without a shower. They treated the collars and envelops like gold and the cookies were gone the first day. It was a small things that made a big difference. Merry Christmas.
Post up how we can join in and send , we want to do this but don’t know the bs from real 🤬

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Post up how we can join in and send , we want to do this but don’t know the bs from real 🤬
It was a one shot deal for us 17 years ago. They did their job and came home the next summer. When they came home we went to the Portland airport in a group of some 200. Had a group of bagpipe players to welcome them off the plane.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Best memories...probably how happy Pops was when us kids were opening presents from Santa. Didn't really understand it then, but now having kids, I think it was pride and accomplishment.

This being the year of covid, elections and riots, doesn't change a damn thing for me and my wife. Christmas is still Christmas. There'll still be readings, music, a tree and gifts. The family is smaller than it was, but stronger. The seasons change, the tides change....this year will end, and the bad political BS will eventually subside. I'll worry about that stuff after Christmas.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Lot’s of great memories as a young boy, how my mom could stretch a dollar for everyone. Also seeing our son so excited and now the pure joy of watching my grandsons 12 and 10. Here is a picture of our youngest last year at my sons house. Check out his boots.
153177B2-D9FC-4229-92F1-80B141AA3AF2.jpeg

wzuber

Reaction score
Here we are again with another Christmas season upon us. I think back to my childhood and all of the things we did as a family to celebrate the Christmas season. Our church put together a program each year called the "Singing Christmas Tree" which was a big deal in our community. They actually built a large stand for the choir to stand on and they would sing Christmas songs for an hour or so. Boy do I miss those times, especially this year with covid restrictions and such.

What are some of your favorite Christmas memories? What did your family do or maybe still do to celebrate the season? What do you wish you could do to make this your family's best Christmas ever?

Merry Christmas to all of the RDP family!

Was the singing christmas tree in Downey Ca?
The 1st. Baptist church in Downey did a annual program like that. My aunt Rochelle used to sing in it. It was always a nice program that the community looked forward to.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Boy did I screw up that date. We lived in Santa Clara at the time and that was 1990 so, it was December of 90. Now if I could just remember who I owe that million dollars to.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Boy did I screw up that date. We lived in Santa Clara at the time and that was 1990 so, it was December of 90. Now if I could just remember who I owe that million dollars to.
I believe that would be me...
:D

jonnyd

Reaction score
Was the singing christmas tree in Downey Ca?
The 1st. Baptist church in Downey did a annual program like that. My aunt Rochelle used to sing in it. It was always a nice program that the community looked forward to.
No it was in Santa Rosa, CA