WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Messed Up World, Violence & Someone You Knew

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Just found out my sister's ex-husband was murdered early Saturday morning. In all honesty, I don't believe I had seen him in 25+ years. He skipped out on my sister and 3 kids...and she wasn't a Saint or mother of the year either.

Over the past few years, he'd been in contact with the kids. I heard he had some more kids...which was a hurdle for my nieces and nephew, but they'd kind of been okay with it now. My sister was 17 when she got pregnant, and I think they got married a year or so later...I was 9 or 10. He was nice to me early on, but as their lives went to hell, so did my family's. By the time I was 15, I saw the drug use, and the crappy side.

I like to think he "grew out of it". He'd been driving a truck, commercial stuff, for the past 10 years or so. Late Friday night/early Saturday morning, he was headed down the 5, outside of Bakersfield. It appears that he past a wrecked car, and saw a guy walking down the highway. He picked up the guy to give him a ride. The 21 year old kid stabbed and killed him.

Turns out, the kid had car jacked someone in Oakland, robbed a place on the way to Bakersfield, then stabbed another person and took their car. Shortly after, he wrecked that car...and that's where Joe picked him up.

He obviously wasn't close anymore. Hell, at times I hated him. At times he was pretty cool though. He grew up 6 houses down the road...
He may have become a good father, I don't know. It seems he was trying to be a good grandfather. I'm pretty torn on this, I don't know if I'm sad because it was him, or the state of the world we're in...or both.
No matter the case, I don't think he deserved this :(

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
The personal connection makes death a hard thing at times regardless of your current dealing with him. Sucks for his children either way. I'm assuming they got the guy responsible for it all?

calkid

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Regardless of past history, he was someone that you were once close to and the father of your Nieces and Nephew. Without getting politics involved, it's sad to see what a large part of society has become. Your ex-BIL was apparently trying to do something good and it got him killed.
And no, he didn't deserve this.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of this horrible news. Sounds like it has been a rough ride For him and the family. I hope that you are able to forgive him and get to a point that the reminding family is at peace. I agree with you on the erosion of society.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The personal connection makes death a hard thing at times regardless of your current dealing with him. Sucks for his children either way. I'm assuming they got the guy responsible for it all?
They did get the kid. Apparently, he remained at the scene. Part of me wonders if he meant to steal the semi, but couldn't drive it. He's being held on 1 million bond in Fresno County Jail, already pressed murder charges and something else...may be more when they get it sorted.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Its odd how something you wouldnt expect can sometimes affect you in such a profound way. Im in a similar situation myself at the moment and I can tell you it come and goes. But when it comes, it hits me like a f*cking brick that just flew out of left field. But there is good that can come out of it. For me, it brought me back closer to several persons I had previously grown somewhat distant from. All I can say is lean into it, let the cards fall as they will.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
I'd found several stories last night. As with everything, they all seem to differ a little bit too. Was going to post links, but from my phone I couldn't.
Kind of funny, that one has him listed as "Jose", another had him listed as "Joe". I knew him as "Joey", and none of those match his birth certificate. My nephew was a "Jr"...but also goes by "Joey".
you have definitely lived a life. There is no replacement for actual experience.

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
That is horrible. Sympathies for your loss. I'm sure you mourn for it all. You mourn for the loss of a brother-in-law you once had, mourn the loss for your sister and your nieces and nephew and mourn the loss of a decent society that we once knew that is decaying before our eyes. And now how many people will have second thoughts about stopping to help someone?

You obviously don't mourn who he was but mourn who you hope he was trying to be. We've all made mistakes. Prayers for you and your family. 🙏

"Mrs. Lucky"

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
you have definitely lived a life. There is no replacement for actual experience.
Life is an interesting ride we're all on. At least it's still going, but at times it's pretty messed up, and I'm glad others aren't on the same ride.
That is horrible. Sympathies for your loss. I'm sure you mourn for it all. You mourn for the loss of a brother-in-law you once had, mourn the loss for your sister and your nieces and nephew and mourn the loss of a decent society that we once knew that is decaying before our eyes. And now how many people will have second thoughts about stopping to help someone?

You obviously don't mourn who he was but mourn who you hope he was trying to be. We've all made mistakes. Prayers for you and your family. 🙏

"Mrs. Lucky"
I'm a strong believer in "second chances". If it weren't for major changes in my own life and actions, I don't think I'd be here, and I know I wouldn't have the life or family I do. We do all make mistakes, but we can learn from them if we survive.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Sympathy for your Families loss. Godspeed Uncle Joey. Good Samaritan. Prayers for strength for the Fam and Kids.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I am about to do that drive tomorrow. All those same stops too. Shit I ain’t stopping…… damn it, I just lost all my firearms in a terrible boating accident too. SOB

Condolences BTW

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When I was about 17 I picked someone up off Rancho Santa Fe Jist up the hill from
Melrose. As soon as he got in the car I knew that was a real bad idea..

He was super stressed out and shaking.. He smelled like a brush fire. He wanted to goto Encinitas and I was kinda headed that way so I took him.. you ever get that feeling like your life is in legit danger?

When I got home later that night it was on the news that some guy had murdered some people and stole their car and had attempted to burn the car with brush / leaves etc..

RD

DLC

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss!

try to remember / elevate the good times even if they are only a few of them…

Life is way to short to hold onto the hate and negativity ! I believe that eats away the good that is out there, opportunity is around every corner people need to look for those corners!

RVRKID

Reaction score
I am about to do that drive tomorrow. All those same stops too. Shit I ain’t stopping…… damn it, I just lost all my firearms in a terrible boating accident too. SOB

Condolences BTW
that sucks how did that happen?

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
My how times have changed , When I was a early teen I used to "thumb it" to town to the beach always got rides never felt uncomfortable , sometime was even a cute chick ;)