WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

metal building

wallnutz

Reaction score
Has anyone here built metal building from a kit? Also, has anyone stuccoed or put faux stone on one to hide the metal appearance?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
My neighbor put a 40x60 up by himself. He had a big forklift he used. He worked off-and-on, about 3 weeks.

@monkeyswrench did one himself a while back, using an old boom truck, I believe.

Dan'l

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Yes, I used a rolling scaffold for the purlins, and a boom for the heavy red iron. The panels were done with a scissor lift. I think there is a thread in the mancave section...good for pics. It took me about a month, dealing with snow and wind, and just me...worst employee to have.

To stucco one, I haven't done, but seen...the 2 I have seen done were sheeted with 1/2 inch ply, then had lattice/mesh attached. They both looked great when done, one the guy added foam accents for trimming out around windows and doors before stucco. I would assume there would be some extra bs for the engineering stamp, but no difference in the structure itself.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Yes, I used a rolling scaffold for the purlins, and a boom for the heavy red iron. The panels were done with a scissor lift. I think there is a thread in the mancave section...good for pics. It took me about a month, dealing with snow and wind, and just me...worst employee to have.

To stucco one, I haven't done, but seen...the 2 I have seen done were sheeted with 1/2 inch ply, then had lattice/mesh attached. They both looked great when done, one the guy added foam accents for trimming out around windows and doors before stucco. I would assume there would be some extra bs for the engineering stamp, but no difference in the structure itself.
I have seen them stuccoed, just not sure if you could just attach mesh to the metal. Trying to save a few bucks on the garage. The metal buildings are fairly cheap. Trying to get a framer to even give me a ballpark price is getting ridiculous, and I'm even friends with a couple.lol

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
You can attach an eifs type finish to the metal wall panels. An easier option is to order the building with insulated panels that looks like stucco/eifs. Either way, the building needs to be ordered with it in mind for design/loads.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
You can attach an eifs type finish to the metal wall panels. An easier option is to order the building with insulated panels that looks like stucco/eifs. Either way, the building needs to be ordered with it in mind for design/loads.
Years ago I screwed 1 .75 metal lath to one - 2 layers of paper behind the 1.75 it turned out very nice

wallnutz

Reaction score
I saw one years ago that had a real rough primed finish that was later stuccoed, but for the life of me I can’t remember where I saw it. I have an appointment with a steel guy on Wednesday.

wallnutz

Reaction score
After it’s up and inspected, we are going to wire and spray foam insulate it. We will do the ceiling right away. That is if we go metal.
That and also talking the architectural board that it will be aesthetically ok and blend with the house. We have no HOA, just the architect board.

Keymyster

Reaction score
We put the fiberglass insulation in. Wow what a difference when you insulate them.

wallnutz

Reaction score
We put the fiberglass insulation in. Wow what a difference when you insulate them.
Ya I’m hoping to get away with a swamp cooler got a year or two. We will just use it for RV storage for now, then turn it into some shop space.

Keymyster

Reaction score
Don't think I'd put any money into a swamp cooler. Mini split systems are reasonably inexpensive and preform so much better.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Don't think I'd put any money into a swamp cooler. Mini split systems are reasonably inexpensive and preform so much better.
Already own a big one, so cost is low. Once we turn into a shop we will go mini splits.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I would think cooling ability would be a byproduct of the insulation quality. Up where I am, we have to worry about heating in the winter more than cooling in the summer. I think the highest temp I've seen here was 103...when I left Topock this afternoon it was 120ish. My home shop is 2000sqft, but 17ft sidewalls. Cooling in river-temps would require way better insulation than I have, and some monster commercial swamp cooler.