WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Metal carport question.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Question:

If a carport like this is already built and standing tall at the side of a house in Havasu.
Can you enclose the back side and put a "roll-up" front door on these things, after the fact?
And
Would that be "illegal" for some reason?

Thank you

Screenshot_20230131-200923_Chrome.jpg

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
According to the city, no as it’s no longer a carport. Also believe the sides must be 3’ off the ground. But... do a lot of people do it here, yes, including myself. Just don’t live by a Karen or Kevin or on a lined street and you may be good.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
According to the city, no as it’s no longer a carport. Also believe the sides must be 3’ off the ground. But... do a lot of people do it here, yes, including myself. Just don’t live by a Karen or Kevin or on a lined street and you may be good.
Wasn’t there a guy that got busted by the city for having a carport that was to close to the property line and went around taking pictures of other carports that were out of code. 😝

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Wasn’t there a guy that got busted by the city for having a carport that was to close to the property line and went around taking pictures of other carports that were out of code. 😝
Something along those lines yes. Many were at the property line including a city councilman and one who had to take his down made it a mission to point out everyone else’s that was not legal. They sure cracked down on them for many years but have since relaxed again and are even allowing more varients of steel buildings.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Well crap!
There is a house I saw, that already has a carport on the side, just like the picture I showed. It's in full view of the street.

The garage door on the house is 7ft and my truck won't fit.
If I can't enclose the carport, then it's a non- starter for that house.

Just my luck, I'd buy the house, do the deed and get popped! 😑

NicPaus

Reaction score
Well crap!
There is a house I saw, that already has a carport on the side, just like the picture I showed. It's in full view of the street.

When code enforcement shows up. Send your wife out to talk to Him ;). Hopefully code enforcement is not a woman. Lol.

Good luck on the house search. The right 1 will come along.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Well crap!

they're everywhere in havasu,...99% are illegal....if it's already up. I personaly wouldn't worry about it.... the only time is if you piss the neighbor off and he calls code enforce ment... if the house is in the county you can do an as built permit,... and they also allow metal buildings... cith is a no... and they require engeneered plans , soil sample/ perk tests. grade and placement surveys, footings and such... most metal shade companys have quit installing in havasu because how hard it is to get a permit.... if you make it in to a garage, the exterior will have to match the house.... what ive done is to just put gates across the front, like barn doors...

Bajastu

Reaction score
Different city but when I bought my place in Parker, there was a shade structure on the property. I spoke to my neighbors and they don’t care about me adding a door, infact, one of them even said that I should add a door even before I was going to say something. It already had the three sides covered on it when I purchased the property. I think adding a slab is the big deal. But then again, you can get away with more in Parker than Havasu.

Attachments

• house -1.jpg
    house -1.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 59
  • House -2.jpg
    House -2.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 58

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I spoke to the city regarding carports. I want to put up a good size structure on the side of my pad. Got shot down due to the rediculous easements I have . He did say though, that they are not looking to go after any carports that are already up and existing..

240Hallett

Reaction score
I spoke to the city regarding carports. I want to put up a good size structure on the side of my pad. Got shot down due to the rediculous easements I have . He did say though, that they are not looking to go after any carports that are already up and existing..
Parker or Havasu?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
All good info.
Thank you all for your insight.
The bigger thing to find out is whether or not any portion of the shade covering is over the setback lines. If not, I think you may be able to do it and get away with it, I know that I have one on my street that they just recently enclosed, no problem so far. you could just go ask the city, I’ve also heard about only three sides are supposed to be in closed so who knows also heard the lower 3 feet wasn’t supposed to be closed, but I see that all over town. 🤷

I had one neighbor that had one corner of his pontoon shade, 1 foot into the setback, and he either had to modify it or tear it down. He tore it down and sold it, because the manufacture would not guarantee the wind shear load after modification, something like that.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I don't want the headache, if it all goes south.
This joint is off my list.
I just wish that damn garage door was 8ft.
😑

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
😑
Most of the older homes have 7' garage doors. I think around the 90's is when they went to 8'. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

bonesfab

Reaction score
When code enforcement shows up. Send your wife out to talk to Him ;). Hopefully code enforcement is not a woman. Lol.

Good luck on the house search. The right 1 will come along.
Putting the ass-ets to work??

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Most of the older homes have 7' doors. I think around the 90's is when they went to 8'. 🤷‍♂️
From what I'm seeing its going the other way. Multiple people I know have recenly bought new homes and several cannot get stock 4WD 3/4 ton trucks (sissy GM excluded 😁) inside. The doors are too short for stock. These are not super cheap builds either.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
From what I'm seeing its going the other way. Multiple people I know have recenly bought new homes and several cannot get stock 4WD 3/4 ton trucks (sissy GM excluded 😁) inside. The doors are too short for stock. These are not super cheap builds either.
I was referring to the garage doors. Not the trucks. :)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
😑
Most of the older homes have 7' garage doors. I think around the 90's is when they went to 8'. 🤷‍♂️
Back in the old days you didn’t need anything but 7 foot doors for a lower Dooley and a flat bottom.🤣🙄 I wish I had planned better.😒

floatn turd

Reaction score
While shopping around, I learnt me to count the "squares" on the garage doors in the pictures.
4 squares high = 7ft
5 squares = an 8ft-er

Screenshot_20230131-200042_Zillow.jpg
Screenshot_20230201_150702.jpg

bocco

Reaction score
Funny how real estate adds never list garage sizes. I guess our priorities are wrong.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Not in AZ but I have a 32X32 carport that I built a small shop and 20’ wide barn doors on the back so I could drive thru. Had to pull a permit for wok on the house and they tried to get me for a garage permit now that it had 3 walls. I opened the back doors, inspector rolled his eyes and said ok…