WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Metal Working. Again. Well, trying to. How do I do this?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I have a LED Light Bar that I need a bracket for.

This bracket needs to be similar to this design but the dimensions are, of course, different.

1615854784885.jpeg

I figured I could bend a flat bar stock purchased at Home Depot, drill the holes in the sides and along the length for mounting it to my truck (after painting it).

Flat bar from HD...

LED Light & Flat Steel Bar 1%22 x ⅛%22 - 3.jpeg

Of course my thinking was based on bending it nicely, square and with fairly sharp bends.

How the hell am I going to do this? I have no vice, no metal working tools. Not even a drill press so I drill everything by hand.

Any suggestions?

More info: The bracket needs to go over the top of the light (not much different than underneath but the mounting holes are not in the center of the sides so it matters only when drilling the 2 holes on each side. The LED light is below (pics) and it's about 13 ¼" long approx.

Thanks in advance

LED Light & Flat Steel Bar 1%22 x ⅛%22 - 1.jpeg

LED Light & Flat Steel Bar 1%22 x ⅛%22 - 2.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Somebody has to make a bracket for that light Dan.. you are gonna he miles ahead buying the factory one. Just google the part number.

If you had a vice into at least make the bends I would say give it a go.. but no vice and it’s gonna be pretty out of the box on how you are gonna do this..

hallett21

Reaction score
Would having an “L” help at all? Home Depot sells that.

Not sure if you have an equivalent but Industrial Metal supply here in CA has all kinds of different pre bent steel and aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I believe this uses the same mounting hardware judging by the two holes in the side. They have two brackets you can pick from.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I believe this uses the same mounting hardware judging by the two holes in the side. They have two brackets you can pick from.

You're good Dave. That's where these high performance lights came from...Australia. I didn't get that particular bracket but it won't fit in the space I have in the front opening of the truck.

And from what I've seen LED lights are all pretty different in size and I need a bracket for this light o_O

Would having an “L” help at all? Home Depot sells that.

Not sure if you have an equivalent but Industrial Metal supply here in CA has all kinds of different pre bent steel and aluminum.

I've already used 2 - 4" angle brackets and they almost worked but I really need a 1-piece bracket.

Larger C clamp and the edge if a strong bench could work.

Yup, I've got clamps. And a wood bench made of 2x6's so it's not ideal.

So I've been thinking about clamping a thicker, larger piece of flat steel bar to this ⅛" thick bar and using it to bend it. But I'm also thinking, how do I hold the piece of bar I'm bending so I have a chance at bending it into a sharp corner?

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Lower opening in front of truck is where this LED light bar is going - dark rectangular area between tow hooks...

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 5.57.04 PM.png

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Mine is an older model, looks like the same size opening. They do have those brackets made already. I’ll see if I can dig up where I bought them.

5528AD45-1835-49D8-92E9-C155E15249D6.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
To make a sharp 90 you may relieve the back/inside of the angle with a cutoff wheel...score it basically. You can also heat with a small propane torch or mapp if you don't have a oxy/ac torch. Anything is better than cold...the outer will get small cracks. To clamp it, use a C-clamp and your tow hitch...sturdy for what you need, and sharper angle than a 2x4.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Do you have any tools? Your not going to control that bend with out a press brake. Easiest would be cut then weld.
Do you have a bottle jack? How about 2 pieces of angle iron? How’s the hitch on that truck? Score the metal outside to start the bend. Then make a press brake. With heat.

WYRD

Reaction score
No advice on bending without a vice but please for the love of God, don't be one of those dick's that thinks it's ok to drive around town with led bars on as normal driving lights

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Reaction score
To make a sharp 90 you may relieve the back/inside of the angle with a cutoff wheel...score it basically. You can also heat with a small propane torch or mapp if you don't have a oxy/ac torch. Anything is better than cold...the outer will get small cracks. To clamp it, use a C-clamp and your tow hitch...sturdy for what you need, and sharper angle than a 2x4.

I like this idea - didn't think about that. I could score a straight, square cut using a hacksaw - think that would work?

I'm a woodworking guy that never learned metal working, welding, etc. I know my way with tools but metalworking is not something I'm set up to do.

Do you have any tools? Your not going to control that bend with out a press brake. Easiest would be cut then weld.
Do you have a bottle jack? How about 2 pieces of angle iron? How’s the hitch on that truck? Score the metal outside to start the bend. Then make a press brake. With heat.

Lots of tools but not for metal :rolleyes:o_O and certainly no press brake 😁😁 I have a bottle jack (or 2) but no angle iron (I can buy it). Hitch is 3" with nothing in it yet (got a fifth wheel hitch in the bed though). I can't bend steel and you expect me to "make a press brake" 😂😂😂

No advice on bending without a vice but please for the love of God, don't be one of those dick's that thinks it's ok to drive around town with led bars on as normal driving lights

Good advice...
s-l1600.jpg

My lights don't get used on the road (unless no one's around 😁 😁 😁 )

Gladiator Lights 03 - 4.jpeg

cofooter

Reaction score
You need a vice at least, and a bit of heavy persuasion, like a small sledgehammer, for a decent bend!!!

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Maybe this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that. Very cool.

Vice: nope
Eastwood 4 Inch Vise Press Metal Brake: nope
Heavy duty workbench: nope
Steel bar: $6.00
Cost of bending $6.00 bar: priceless 🤡 🤡 🤡

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 9.24.38 PM.png

WhatExit?

Reaction score

Seems like a ton of different options for cheap I'm sure you can find something that would work?

Thanks! I need to install the light I have but there are some brackets that might work.

This is what I'm trying to do...

71-Wgwh2zmL._SL1500_544x544.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Heat that bitch up...throw it in a vise to hammer the 90. Come on maaaan....you're acting like one of those lil girl millenial liberals you're always talking shit about....😂😂😂😂

The truth always comes out eventually don't it? Gotta give ok MMD credit though, seems he is Trying to (finally) change up his style.

👍

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Cut 2 pieces a few inches long off the end of that flat stock.

Score the inside of where you want bent.

Put one piece you cut off on your bench sticking out just a bit past the edge of the bench. Place flat stock on top then put the other cut piece on top of that

Use your c-clamp and clamp the flat stock to your bench(long side away from the bench). Basically sandwiched in between the 2 small pieces you cut.

Push down on the long side while using a hammer to hit the stock closest to the bend as possible.

Continue till you get to 90⁰

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
How come the light didn't come with some sort of mounting bracket?

rrrr

Reaction score
Good excuse buy a Vice you will use for years. 👍

I like that. Very cool.

Vice: nope

I don't have many vices since I quit smoking and drinking. But that hasn't affected my ability to use the vise mounted on my workbench.

😁

Last edited:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
everbilt-angles-800127-64

This will bend easier... Sturdy enough for a light.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Buy some tools

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I was actually thinking the same thing as I typed my reply above!!🤔🤣🍻🍺

Also I kinda stopped posting in there as its buried in a sub forum and its pretty evident traffic wise that no one browses outside of the lounge.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Also I kinda stopped posting in there as its buried in a sub forum and its pretty evident traffic wise that no one browses outside of the lounge.

Some of us just click on "what's new" which it shows up. I have been watching, just havent posted! So dont let that sub forum detour you! Some of us enjoy that shit!! I usually dont post in the build thread stuff unless I have input or suggestions. What you are doing is out of my realm, hence why I havent commented. But if that's what keeps you posting, I'm willing to be the guy sitting on the sidelines, drinking beer and making comments🤷🏻‍♂️😝🤣🤣

buck35

Reaction score
Some of us just click on "what's new" which it shows up. I have been watching, just havent posted! So dont let that sub forum detour you! Some of us enjoy that shit!! I usually dont post in the build thread stuff unless I have input or suggestions. What you are doing is out of my realm, hence why I havent commented. But if that's what keeps you posting, I'm willing to be the guy sitting on the sidelines, drinking beer and making comments🤷🏻‍♂️😝🤣🤣
Me as well! That's a huge undertaking few would have the guts to tackle including myself.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yup, go in there a couple times a week looking for updates

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Update...

Call me and give me the dimensions, I’ll make it and send it to you. You’ll have it by the week end to install. (661)549-0606 frank

Thanks to all you guys who posted suggestions. Special thanks to @monkeyswrench for the scoring suggestion and to @N of the rvr for his kind offer to make it for me

* So it turns out I could do this with the tools and stuff I have.
* The ⅛" thick bar actually is ideal and it not hard steel so it's been easy to bend, cut (hacksaw of course) and drill
* I scored the bar with the hacksaw, clamped to my workbench on top of a heavier, thicker piece of steel bar that has a straight edge and bent it quite easily and straight
* I drilled the holes for the light - for the "slotted hole" that allows the light to be adjusted, I drilled 2 holes adjacent to each other and "combined" them

Good thing I have some files as the slotted hole needed some fine tuning and the sharp edges of the holes and hacksaw cuts needed to be cleaned up

Need to locate/mark the mounting holes, drill them, do another test fit then rattle can spray this custom bracket and install it. Then run the wire from the Upfitter switch to the light and add a male Deutsch connector to plug into the light's female Deutsch connector.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. It's going to work just as intended and it will hold up on the truck so while it's not the highest quality work it's the best I could do with what I had and unless I run into any of you guys, no one else will even bother to look closely at it 😁

Scored and bent...

Custom Steel Light Bar Bracket - 3.jpeg

Bent - need to cut left side to length...

Custom Steel Light Bar Bracket - 1.jpeg

Cut and drilled...

Custom Steel Light Bar Bracket - 4.jpeg

Almost done...

Custom Steel Light Bar Bracket - 5.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
For the future, I have a 4” vise finger break on hand. It makes stuff like this a cinch. Just drop into your bench vise, measure twice, bend once.