Hope it’s not as bad as it looks.
22DB3E93-926C-46A1-9E28-25CABA07786F.jpeg
ED72BA9F-55C8-4B81-97E7-FF5427C88010.jpeg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
My bet is a sink hole underneath opened up
Sad deal for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are saying that the new place that went up to the right of that picture caused cracks in the 40 year old place that collapsed Crazy

azsunfun

Reaction score
not good, thats for sure! looks like bagdad.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
If it's been there for 40 years multiple hurricanes have hit it. I think it's gotta be a sinkhole.

Reactions: DWC

cakemoto

Reaction score
Looks like the duct work on the roof is still standing 😁

4Waters

Reaction score
Apparently they were in the process of resertifying the building and doing roof repairs, the extent of the repairs are unknown at this time. I don't think it was the roof repair that caused this, I believe it was a sinkhole. It also appears there is subterranean parking so as of right now I wouldn't rule out foul play.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Its going to be interesting to hear what the final is on this. Things like this don't just happen randomly. Was it designed wrong? Built wrong? material issues? Damage?

Sandlord

Reaction score
Just saw some close up pics.

not much rebar

Nordie

Reaction score
40 years...they used to use salt water to mix concrete in Florida back in the day. There's a ton of concrete restoration jobs that happen there because of it. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it was pretty common practice back then.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
It’s on every news channel right now. Continuous coverage.

As a condo owner in South Florida........ this is very alarming. I am guessing the South Florida condo market also collapsed last night........

I will update this thread as I know more. Currently only 1 dead. That number is definitely going to rise...... significantly.

My prayers to those affected!

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
WTF? How does that happen with all of the building codes and inspections? There were no signs of the building weakening?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
My money is on dewatering pumps from nearby buildings
This and the fact Miami’s water level has been rising for awhile now.
Water is involved, one way or another. Water, in mass and with time, does all kinds of damage/change to elements around it.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Sad deal for sure. Sending prayers to all involved. Hopefully, more people are found alive.

Reactions: DWC

Singleton

Reaction score
Not sure but bet it ends up getting spun as “global warming” sooner rather than later.

This is terrible. Way more deaths will be reported (people were sleeping).

Nightly news tonight = cause due to global warming. With increased temp, the underground water table was sucked dry causing huge sink hole that building fell into. President then declares national emergency associated with drought due to global warming

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
There is a lot of speculation. LowRiver2 is on the right track, as far as my guess goes. Water has something to do with it.

My neighbor speculated that the Navy tested an aircraft carriers ability to take a shock blast, so it detonated a huge bomb off the coast, about a week ago. I seriously doubt that scenario.

My guess is sinkhole...... but that’s just guessing, with a full anal pullout.

But as an update, many families are missing loved ones. Approx 50 unaccounted for according to the local ABC affiliate. 50 units were in the actual collapse. Building is known to have full time residents. The collapse started on pool deck, which is above parking garage. Then mid building collapsed. Building was in process of 40 year recertification.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There is a lot of speculation. LowRiver2 is on the right track, as far as my guess goes. Water has something to do with it.

My neighbor speculated that the Navy tested an aircraft carriers ability to take a shock blast, so it detonated a huge bomb off the coast, about a week ago. I seriously doubt that scenario.

My guess is sinkhole...... but that’s just guessing, with a full anal pullout.

But as an update, many families are missing loved ones. Approx 50 unaccounted for according to the local ABC affiliate. 50 units were in the actual collapse. Building is known to have full time residents. The collapse started on pool deck, which is above parking garage. Then mid building collapsed. Building was in process of 40 year recertification.
There is some key info right there.... pool deck above 0arking garage so... likely "ground" floor. A pool leak there can cause havoc over years of deferment.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
My cynical paranoia says the list of people who died will show WHY it fell.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I read that this building was constructed on reclaimed wetlands. FIU (Florida International University) did a study in 2020 that showed a 2mm drop in the foundations every year since construction. Once the Professor heard about the collapse he instantly knew which building it was. Wow.

Every 40 years in that area they have to file a report on construction, and this would have been the year to do that inspection.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Update....... Miami-Dade Police Director. 53 accounted for. 99 unaccounted for.

Saw the same and haven't been able to figure out what it means. Does that translate to 53 bodies found? Or 53 people rescued alive.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Here is a listing in bldg. it shows decent pics before collapse.

The brand new building to the South, Solara, has been evacuated (also hotel to north). Solara condos are priced from 2 mill to 12 mill. I don’t know if I would feel comfortable buying next door to this incident.

Here is a listing in The Champlain bldg, the one that collapsed.

petie6464

Reaction score
That's terrible.

Also why they used that swamp to hold prisoners until someone told someone else "Hey Florida is a great place."

People will drink any flavor of kool-aid.