WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Microchip shortage in vehicles. The next 'whats next'

riverroyal

Reaction score
This has been in the news about a month. Factories are closing or running short weeks
The trucks and cars are built but cant be shipped until the chips show up.
Good luck getting a truck if you are in the market.

I know of a nice 2019 F150 hitting a lot soon 😀

LowRiver2

Reaction score
1BC06BB7-8F76-492A-BFAD-21D376CA6BDE.jpeg
0364A03A-3F3F-4F35-8580-FED933FAF5D7.jpeg

riverroyal

Reaction score
My new f150 showed up last week. I screwed up on the build sheet. I clicked 6 1/2 foot bed. Not the 5 1/2.
I also tried to change the color at the last minute and it was too late.
My 1st thought was no big deal, just wait for another truck.
Then i went a saw it and drove it. Looks perfect. Actually think its better.
Theres no ordering or waiting right now
If you want a new truck or car this summer you better start shopping.

This is a big deal. Factory workers are home

Reactions: Rye

JB in so cal

Reaction score
My new f150 showed up last week. I screwed up on the build sheet. I clicked 6 1/2 foot bed. Not the 5 1/2.

Relearn backing the boat into the site. Extra foot will be noticed

LowRiver2

Reaction score

We were told by a friend who owns a so cal Chevy dealer in March that this was coming. Wife is going to wait on a new tahoe, she wants low interest finance deal...
I did all I could not to bust out laughing.
Going to be a year or more for that.

pkbullet

Reaction score
I normally have 500+ new units in stock, have 135 currently. Based on sales rate on incoming will be under 100 in three weeks. If nothing changes we would be selling incoming units only by end of June. This is more difficult to manage than the BS COVID shutdowns in our state.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Like it or not its the Covid aftermath and reality. More than just cars, telecom, datacenters and infrastructure are all going to see a shortage in Q3/4 at least. South East Asia Covid is spiking and that is where many of the chip foundries and chemical producers are.

cofooter

Reaction score
I am in Supply Chain Ops for a big tech company. Its brutal right now getting enough of almost everything - plastics, fabricated metal, electronics. Suppliers are saying it will go into next year.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Been trying to get a ps5. Same deal zero inventory due.to chip shortages. Hoping the ps4 can last a little longer but its.on its last legs. I have up in trying to get an f150 until this bs is over.

boatpi

Reaction score
This is NO JOKE, Ford estimates ALL production will be 50% soon, F 150 shut down.

boatpi

Reaction score
A high-volume Fiat Chrysler Automobiles salesman in suburban Detroit has been charged with defrauding the automaker out of $8.7 million by giving employee discounts on vehicles to customers who weren't eligible.

Apollon Nimo, 34, a salesman at Parkway Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram, illegally used discount codes meant for family members of FCA employees in sales and leases to nonqualified buyers thousands of times from 2014 to the present, a federal investigator wrote in an affidavit filed Friday in U.S. District Court. Nimo closed more deals using employee discounts than any other FCA salesperson in Michigan, and at times was No. 1 nationwide, according to the affidavit.

Officials at the dealership in Clinton Township, Mich., did not immediately return a message seeking comment. Nimo has been removed from the staff listing on the store's website.

FCA US is committed to preserving the integrity of our employee purchase programs and is cooperating with the U.S. Attorney’s Office," the automaker said in a statement. "We note that dealers are independent businesses and are solely responsible for their conduct and operations. As the matter is ongoing, we cannot discuss it further at this time.”

In the majority of transactions that prosecutors allege were fraudulent, buyers claimed to be the brother-in-law or sister-in-law of an FCA employee to get a 5 percent discount. The discount codes, known as Employee Purchase Control Numbers, were often bought and sold through private Facebook groups.

FCA's losses from the scheme were compounded by bonuses he received for selling its vehicles, Homeland Security Investigations Special Agent Joseph Kunnummyalil wrote. From 2010 to 2019, Nimo received $700,000 in rewards directly from FCA, in addition to his compensation from the dealership.

Authorities started investigating Nimo after FCA employees began complaining that their personal discount codes were being applied to sales without their consent, with many saying the numbers were used at Parkway. In the summer of 2019, FCA sent Kunnummyalil a list of 268 employee numbers that were reported as unauthorized by its employees. All of them were linked to sales made by Nimo from Feb. 21, 2016 to June 18, 2018.

Nimo was arrested Friday morning. He appeared in front of U.S. Magistrate Judge Anthony P. Patti today and was released on bond. A preliminary exam was set for May 21.

The case was investigated by special agents from Homeland Security Investigations and the Clinton Township Police Department. FCA corporate investigators provided assistance.

“Automobile sales play a major role in our state’s economy,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Saima Mohsin, in a statement. “Corruption of the sort alleged in today’s complaint imposes costs on automotive manufacturers that are ultimately passed to consumers. The charges announced today are serious and reflect my office’s commitment to ensuring the integrity of this market.”

A manager at a nearby FCA dealership told investigators that Nimo sold about 250 vehicles in January 2020 alone, an unusually high number. The manager said Nimo frequently sold more vehicles himself than entire sales departments at most FCA dealerships.

In 2014, Nimo’s father, Salim, leased at least three vehicles through his son at Parkway, investigators found. Apollon Nimo falsely indicated that his father was the brother-in-law of three different FCA employees, the filing said.

Nimo’s name came up in Facebook groups discussing the buying and selling of employee discount codes. According to screenshots included in the government’s case, one group member asked for recommendations on leases, for example, and another responded: “Come on Peter I’ve told you about Apollo 1000 times plus everyone else in here uses him.”

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Well what do you expect when all the microprocessor chips are manufactured in CHINA? Maybe if we had some sort of tax breaks to bring the manufacturing of these item back to this country we wouldn't have that problem. Wait, we did, but Sleepy Joe thought that was bad because it worked for the other administration and reversed all the policies that worked in the US's interests. Also when the other side creates a pandemic from a cold that has a 99.4% chance of survival and nobody questions it, this is what you get.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Not just limited to automotive uC applications. All kinds of chips are shooting up in price and getting hard to get. A few I bought a year ago (pretty garden variety) are now 5x the price and in very limited supply. Not just those made in China but Malasia, Mexico, here in the US, etc.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Ford dealer here has 2 F150's and 4 Rangers. I didn't pay too much attention to the suv's but the lot looks about 20% full.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I buy PCBA for our batteries and chip shortages are coming hard!!! Luckily I bought a year stock a year ago. I will be ok for a while. End of calendar year I will start feeling it. I am the materials manager for a battery company

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I’m experiencing it differently... everyone here knows I was truck shopping a month or 2 back. Couldn’t really find what I Wanted. I have at least 5 dealers a day calling me telling me they have the perfect truck on the lot. They two too missed calls are from hemburg Ford in norco and browning dodge in norco. It’s an everyday thing, i don’t even answer anymore.
FA2296B2-68F5-40DC-ADD5-C1451FEC12B6.png

Ricks raft

Reaction score

As the owner o a 5,5’, if you use it as a pickup the 6.5’ will be appreciated. Wish mine was.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Shortages of everything. A/V receivers, I’ve received 2 in 9 months. The investment firm that bought Onkyo/Pioneer ended the brands because of no product. Can’t get above ground pool liners .
Ford may have cut production but I read Chevy is using a different chip than normal and expects mileage in their trucks to be down...

squeezer

Reaction score
The chip shortages are the result of a lack of silicon wafer production. There are five (soon to be four) top tier wafer manufactures. They have been bumping up against capacity redlines for years now. Margins have been driven down by the major consumers (Intel/Samsung/TSMC) in the attempt to treat a highly specialized product like a simple commodity. This business dynamic has prevented any of the producers from investing the 1.5-2B$ into a new Fab.

This situation is not going to change anytime soon...

As an aside TSMC produces roughy 75% of the ASICS used in automotive applications.

rickym20

Reaction score
The chip shortages are the result of a lack of silicon wafer production. There are five (soon to be four) top tier wafer manufactures. They have been bumping up against capacity redlines for years now. Margins have been driven down by the major consumers (Intel/Samsung/TSMC) in the attempt to treat a highly specialized product like a simple commodity. This business dynamic has prevented any of the producers from investing the 1.5-2B$ into a new Fab.

As an aside TSMC produces roughy 75% of the ASICS used in automotive applications.

the TSMC project in north Phoenix won’t be built fast enough. Company I work for has a part in the project and should start in few months. We get projects across the country and typically don’t go into areas until it’s the worst time to build weather wise ,haha. Sounds like it will help the situation but way down the road once it opens in 2024😬.
Happy to be part of it though.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
This has been in the news about a month. Factories are closing or running short weeks
The trucks and cars are built but cant be shipped until the chips show up.
Good luck getting a truck if you are in the market.

I know of a nice 2019 F150 hitting a lot soon 😀

Carburetors don't need computer chips.

Just sayin.....

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Every cloud has a silver lining….I now is the time to buy a Chevy/GM 5.3 [emoji4]

They’re building some trucks without AFM due to the chip shortage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Well what do you expect when all the microprocessor chips are manufactured in CHINA? Maybe if we had some sort of tax breaks to bring the manufacturing of these item back to this country we wouldn't have that problem. Wait, we did, but Sleepy Joe thought that was bad because it worked for the other administration and reversed all the policies that worked in the US's interests. Also when the other side creates a pandemic from a cold that has a 99.4% chance of survival and nobody questions it, this is what you get.

FYI - Half a million Americans died “with” Covid out of 370 Million. Only 30K died “of” Covid. Either way it is way less than a 99.4% death rate. The overall death rate of 500K is less than a normal flu year. Guess how many people have died of the flu in the last year? Not many......We’ve been had!!! I agree with you 100%

The Communist Left Wing of the Democratic Party has parlayed this CCP Labratory Disease into a U.S. government takeover. When we as a nation open our eyes and realize that Jao is in bed with the CCP then maybe we can take our country back? Be prepared for 3+ more years of man made shortages to artificially drive up prices of Chinese Goods to incentivize Jao’s leadership!

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score

Lack of silicon wafer production? Sand is silicon dioxide - it's everywhere! This shortage is BS. Maybe we should start producing processor chips here and tell China to FO!

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Now is the time to buy stock in US superconductor manufacturer companies.

530RL

Reaction score
Here is a thirteen minute video on the chip shortage and some of the reasons for it.

MSum661

Reaction score
Now is the time to buy stock in US superconductor manufacturer companies.

Its coming soon.....watching day to day for the best entry point.
What's crazy is when component supply starts to improve, there could be factors that will drive even more demand.
Its a interesting conundrum.

squeezer

Reaction score
Lack of silicon wafer production? Sand is silicon dioxide - it's everywhere! This shortage is BS. Maybe we should start producing processor chips here and tell China to FO!

Well. SiO2 may be plentiful but it takes a few Billion dollars worth of capex before you can start pulling crystals, sawing wafers, and applying the right epi layers. Class 10K clean rooms plus a set of QC tools that most people can’t even fathom.

Chip production is another few orders of magnitude more costly/complex than wafers...

I can assure you the wafer shortage is not only real but has been predicted for years now.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
some of this stuff is hurting our competitors, quoting 3-5 months to get gear deployed. Thankfully we have all US production so are good for now.