WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mid Bunk fifth wheels.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Anyone have a mid bunk fifth wheel? How do you like it?
Anyone double tow small fifth wheel with a small enclosed?

Wife likes the more plush interior of travel trailer fifth wheels. I like that they are lighter and will make our longer trips more enjoyable.

The only concern I have about the non toy hauler fifth wheels is the tiny tank capacities. Do any models have decent sized tanks?

Wife really likes the Keystone Cougar 29MBS. Anyone know of similar floor plans would like to stay under 60k.

For our riding trips I will double tow with my 12’ enclosed. I think the DMV still has all o my endorsements current would just have to go get my non commercial class A. My double tow trips will be right here at Stoddard so only 15min from my house.

4798DFA9-2711-43B6-B90A-19221D531935.jpeg

Ct5

Reaction score
I have a Columbus (Forest River) 377 mid bunk and we love it. Ill never have another rear bunk house trailer. With a mid bunk you get the two large opposing slides in the kitchen/living area where you spend the majority of your time, and the bonus of an extra bedroom. It heats and cools much more even and efficient than a rear bunk room layout also. We don’t do any boondocking so I’m not sure how it would be with storage tanks and no onboard generator.

I’ve had two keystones that were nothing but trouble. On one of them some of the wiring was ran between the frame and floor. It was a nightmare when it started to rub through and random electrical problems started occurring. The forest River has been solid.

Ct5

Reaction score
I don’t think I’d feel good about double towing behind a lightweight fifth wheel. It depends on the size of the frame, but generally a lot of the weight savings come from a much smaller frame.

Ladsm

Reaction score
I Tow a 28' 5th wheel and have towed my 22' box trailer behind and it was no issue but I was 70'. I bought a 16' flatbed trailer now and that will put me under the legal length. Brian (Ocotillo Boy) used that type of setup for years. We only take rzr out a couple times a year and we like the 5th wheel with the full interior for other camping trips

Riverryder

Reaction score
i wouldn't tandem. mine has the hitch but i only use it for bike rack or tray for generator. if its 15 min just have the wife tow it? dont you have a 4 door jeep?
i went travel trailer as i had TH before and it was junk i love my new one.

I drive the trailer she drives the boat.
9B0FEE6C-B75C-4D18-BE42-964205A05979.jpeg

CLdrinker

Reaction score
i wouldn't tandem. mine has the hitch but i only use it for bike rack or tray for generator. if its 15 min just have the wife tow it? dont you have a 4 door jeep?
i went travel trailer as i had TH before and it was junk i love my new one.

I drive the trailer she drives the boat. View attachment 1101030

Jeep is getting sold as soon as I get my new truck. The second trailer would be under 3000lbs. But I would beef up the hitch.

This is something I’m kicking around for our next setup. A small Genesis 5th wheel toy hauler is an option. But pulling 11k fifth wheel on longer trips kinda sucks.

I like the Genesis 27F bumper pull but wifey wants a bit more comfort.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I like this except small tanks and single AC.

DDF6D06A-E777-4C0A-B52E-66CCCCE9B3B6.jpeg

Riverryder

Reaction score
Unless you order it. There was one under 30 that had duals when I got mine that someone ordered and didn’t want.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Most non-toyhaulers have small tanks. Not sure if you could add another tank or a bigger tank. My last trailer only held 50g, I carried 4 6g jugs and topped off as needed. That would last several days.

As RR said, very few of the 30’ and smaller trailers have 2 ACs, but you can add one in place of a roof vent. If the 15k isn’t enough in mine, I figure I’ll add a portable as needed. I don’t usually camp when it’s 100+ out, so I don’t know if I’ll actually need one.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Most non-toyhaulers have small tanks. Not sure if you could add another tank or a bigger tank. My last trailer only held 50g, I carried 4 6g jugs and topped off as needed. That would last several days.

As RR said, very few of the 30’ and smaller trailers have 2 ACs, but you can add one in place of a roof vent. If the 15k isn’t enough in mine, I figure I’ll add a portable as needed. I don’t usually camp when it’s 100+ out, so I don’t know if I’ll actually need one.
My stealth had 140 gallons a d I carried 2 5 gallon cans. After 5 days we were dry and shitter was full.

So I think we have to go toy hauler as much as we would like the travel trailer for our beach trips.

Riverryder

Reaction score
mine has 2 but I use it where it’s hot. So I have a snail fan and a portable ac unit aswell. Haven’t had to use the portable yet. But we shall see I have it in case. Rated for 800 sqft so it should be enough with the 2 units.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well I think we are going to go with a fifth wheel non toy hauler.
Our riding trips are 30 minutes from home. So the small tanks and towing doubles isn’t the end of the world. The majority of our trips are in RV parks. So the having more comfortable living space shines.

We are looking at rear bunk models. Mid bunks are a bit big for towing doubles and a bit more money. Going to try to keep this program less than 50k and the more towards 40k the better.

Looked at a Keystone Hyperlite 308 yesterday. Loved the floor plan but I caught the guy in some lies so I will pass.

I like this allot. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2022-Dutchmen-Astoria+2943BHF-5019845272

This is getting up there in price.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I know trailers are made cheaply, but those look like they take the cake. You going to be happy with that? I could see post starting now.

Why not something older and somewhat better made?

Joe mama

Reaction score
There should be some smoking deals coming soon on some slightly used trailers.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I know trailers are made cheaply, but those look like they take the cake. You going to be happy with that? I could see post starting now.

Why not something older and somewhat better made?

What do you see that is cheap? I haven’t been able to find any nearby to go see in person.

The used ones are still just as much as new ones.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What do you see that is cheap? I haven’t been able to find any nearby to go see in person.

The used ones are still just as much as new ones.

Looking at the picks with the furniture, walls, to me looks very "budget" done, more than typical. Like a Carson toyhauler

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Looking at the picks with the furniture, walls, to me looks very "budget" done, more than typical. Like a Carson toyhauler

Hmm I don’t see anything different than any other trailer.
I would prefer to buy something used. We went and look at a trailer Wednesday. Guy told me he was super anal about his trailer and he took great care of it. Indoor storage it’s whole life.

Faded to shit, siding coming off below the door, cabinet glass fell out, bathroom door scratched to hell. All the plastic faded to yellow.

We aren’t in a hurry. But I’m looking.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Hmm I don’t see anything different than any other trailer.
I would prefer to buy something used. We went and look at a trailer Wednesday. Guy told me he was super anal about his trailer and he took great care of it. Indoor storage it’s whole life.

Faded to shit, siding coming off below the door, cabinet glass fell out, bathroom door scratched to hell. All the plastic faded to yellow.

We aren’t in a hurry. But I’m looking.
Was just my observation, perhaps I'm wrong.

On my recent RV trip the most seen trailer was the Reflection, it was has down the most popular trailer...

I would go for used as well, with that issue is no one keeps it clean like you would and the prices is damn near what new is...

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Was just my observation, perhaps I'm wrong.

On my recent RV trip the most seen trailer was the Reflection, it was has down the most popular trailer...

I would go for used as well, with that issue is no one keeps it clean like you would and the prices is damn near what new is...

I like the Reflections. Only a coupe in my price range and I don’t want to drive to BFE to see a used one best to shit.
BTW used trailers a few years old are all brown.
I want white to match the truck and my white enclosed🤪

Riverryder

Reaction score
most seen trailer was the Reflection, it was has down the most popular trailer..
i have one. i love the dam thing. when i was shopping i went reflection because it felt way better quality in its class.
other companys have similar floor plans, but stuff looked and felt cheaper.

amberkiza

Reaction score