WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mid cabins....

Rondog4405

Reaction score
For those of you that have a mid cabin boat.. Sure having a few extra seats below is awesome and handy.. But is it a pain in the ass docking and so on...having to duck under to go back and forth. Or does the extra available seating advantages outway the inconvenience part of it? Im looking at a smaller mid cabin (22" lavey) and could use some first hand opinions. Thnx

rvrrun

Reaction score
One of the reasons I went with our tremor was the height and ease of getting though the mid.there is a cleat next to the helm so docking is never a huge problem other than the location of the cleats means I have to reverse in. I'm planning on adding another pair further up near the bow seating. More often than not the space is used for storage. Things like hats, towels and clothes get stuffed in there and out of the way. My wife likes to wakeboard and that ends up in there too since we have a belly tank and no ski locker. Even with it in there it's not a pain to get up to the front.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have a 23 foot Cobra mid cabin. Overall I like it. There is a little more prep and hustle you might need to do when docking however it is not a pain once you do it a couple times. Typically I don't have to go all the way to the front to dock, there is a cleat in front of the helm I can tie a fender off to, and then have some buffer to do whatever else I need to do.

Yes you have to get over or through the cabin to get to the front, so if you are a bigger guy or have people that are not as mobile in your crew, that might be a factor.

The area out of the sun is really nice sometimes. If you have kids, they can take a nap or rest down there during the day. I have a seat on one side, and a built in cooler on the other, so it is a great area to prep snacks or meals, make drinks, etc. I also have a fan in my mid cabin to circulate some air. It blocks enough of the sound that I can work in there on my laptop or take a sales call if needed.

Everyone is different, but I am a fan.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I have a 23 foot Cobra mid cabin. Overall I like it. There is a little more prep and hustle you might need to do when docking however it is not a pain once you do it a couple times. Typically I don't have to go all the way to the front to dock, there is a cleat in front of the helm I can tie a fender off to, and then have some buffer to do whatever else I need to do.

Yes you have to get over or through the cabin to get to the front, so if you are a bigger guy or have people that are not as mobile in your crew, that might be a factor.

The area out of the sun is really nice sometimes. If you have kids, they can take a nap or rest down there during the day. I have a seat on one side, and a built in cooler on the other, so it is a great area to prep snacks or meals, make drinks, etc. I also have a fan in my mid cabin to circulate some air. It blocks enough of the sound that I can work in there on my laptop or take a sales call if needed.

I have always wanted one. Eapecially like u said for the kids sake. To get them out of the sun for a bit and nap too. And also for extra storage. Gonna look at it monday.. So we will see. Thanks for the imput!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
You just need to train your crew to know how to loop a dock cleat with a dock line and hold on until you or they get up there to tie it off properly.

I would say that a 22" Lavey is pretty small. You could just set it on the dock or keep it in a back pocket. LOL

3.Slow

Reaction score
Mid cabin was a must for us, ours is very easy to get through, however, the same cant be said for my brothers 24 Lavey, very difficult to get through. I would try going from the drivers seat through a few times and see how it suits you.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
You just need to train your crew to know how to loop a dock cleat with a dock line and hold on until you or they get up there to tie it off properly.

I would say that a 22" Lavey is pretty small. You could just set it on the dock or keep it in a back pocket. LOL
Oh shit ur right! Or throw it it the cooler out of sight. 22footlavey*

Ultra247

Reaction score
We had the 247XS with a "walk through" mid cuddy. There were two seats tucked into the sides that nobody ever wanted to use. They were really small.
I ended up taking out the side seats and converting it into a storage area.
My wife didn't want a crawl through so i went with the walk through. 20/20 hindsight, I should have gone with the crawl through for the covered area.
At the end of the day, we went to a deck boat for more space.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Mid cabin was a must for us, ours is very easy to get through, however, the same cant be said for my brothers 24 Lavey, very difficult to get through. I would try going from the drivers seat through a few times and see how it suits you.
Its a xtski and the more i look at that entry it looks like its will be a bitch passing thru it..

HBCraig

Reaction score
We had the 247XS with a "walk through" mid cuddy. There were two seats tucked into the sides that nobody ever wanted to use. They were really small.
I ended up taking out the side seats and converting it into a storage area.
My wife didn't want a crawl through so i went with the walk through. 20/20 hindsight, I should have gone with the crawl through for the covered area.
At the end of the day, we went to a deck boat for more space.

Thats why I made my 247 with closed in storage on one side and a cooler holder on the other.

the510

Reaction score
the bullet has a very nice mid cuddy. The design allows for easy passage. I am a very nimble 6' 240lbs.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
25 or smaller should be a walk through. 27 and up mid cabin is great.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I have a 25' Eagle XP MCOB, it's nice to have the covered space for the young kids and females that want to change clothes or have to use use the portalet / bucket. More times than not though, it is the closet on the boat, everything gets tossed in it when we get ready to boat and it takes 15 minutes once launched to stash everything away so a person could crawl through it. The cooler always seems to be on the floor in the cabin so only the kids can crawl through. I would prefer no open bow or walk through, but that's me. For a 22' boat I would say a mid cuddy cabin is just a waste of space. But, if your smaller in stature, maybe it works? My family members are tall and find the 25' boat a tight fit.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Our cuddy in 25' Advantage is nice. Easy to get through. But honestly, we never just sit in it. Ends up used for storage.

GOPR0148 (1).JPG

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
When a buddy of mine got his nice mid cabin, he wanted to name it "just More Head Room". His wife wasn't going for it. The name that is.

MrCally

Reaction score

Recently bought an Ultra 247Xs and have been browsing around for some insight on Mid cuddy modifications. (Cooler holder, storage) any pictures would help out a lot.
Thanks- i know this is an old ass thread.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Recently bought an Ultra 247Xs and have been browsing around for some insight on Mid cuddy modifications. (Cooler holder, storage) any pictures would help out a lot.

2361BF6F-E707-4748-A63B-6021C22F1D29.jpeg

There is mine, cooler isn’t in there at the moment though. Mine uses a 54 quart Igloo Marine cooler.

If you didn’t want one or both seats, I’d say making a carpeted “box” to replace a seat and you could throw your soft coolers there.

Having the seat across from the cooler is nice, you can prepare food, make drinks, or whatever within reach of the hard cooler.

MrCally

Reaction score
View attachment 884765

There is mine, cooler isn’t in there at the moment though. Mine uses a 54 quart Igloo Marine cooler.

If you didn’t want one or both seats, I’d say making a carpeted “box” to replace a seat and you could throw your soft coolers there.

Having the seat across from the cooler is nice, you can prepare food, make drinks, or whatever within reach of the hard cooler.

wow looks great. I would like to keep one of the benches- Side question. is that fan hard wired or battery operated?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
wow looks great. I would like to keep one of the benches- Side question. is that fan hard wired or battery operated?

Thanks.

It is hard wired. It is a Hella Marine Turbofan. All the power for the helm is directly above it so it was very good say to wire up. I attached it to the interior light circuit.

HBCraig

Reaction score
View attachment 884765

@MrCally
I have this carpeted box to drop your collar into. I only use soft side coolers now. The box is yours if you want it.

USClb41

Reaction score
I'm a bigger guy so I wanted my Tremor to be a walk-through so I wouldn't have to duck under all the time, very glad I did.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

I just run a yeti hopper2 in mine. Fits right on top of the seat perfectly

AJ13

Reaction score
We have the Nordic Heat with the Mid Cabin, There is a ton of room down there. We have two little kids so it works really nice if they fall a sleep to lay them down there so they can be out of the sun. As for docking its easy with our boat because the cabin is so big getting in and out is easy. For us the Mid cabin is a must but some day when the kids are old we might go to a deck boat.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Had a Hallett 255 MCOB. No prblems. Nice area with built in cooler( I hate having my coolers sitting on floor). Lots of storage, and place for kids to get out of sun or to go if it gets cold in the evening. In my 50's and no problem docking by myself, not quite as easy as walk thru but not a big deal.

Riverhound

Reaction score
My Cole 250s is a mid cabin and find it pretty easy to move through and I'm 6' 260ish... Because of where my cleats are located it takes a little more planning if your doing docking by yourself. It gives us a place to store lesser used items and get out of the sun if needed. A walk-though would certainly be easier but i think the benefit of having it outweighs the negatives.

JD D05

Reaction score
I like my mid cabin for all the reasons listed but I would prefer it was a closed bow.