WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Midwest Farm Tour 2.0

charlyox

Reaction score
Tractorsdon’tfloat , I hope your farm doesn’t look like this.
3D15DDB0-216C-48E3-9560-C3793834B88B.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Tractorsdon’tfloat , I hope your farm doesn’t look like this. View attachment 910062
Thankfully, no. All is good here thankfully, but the photos I’ve seen are a solemn reminder that we all take a little faith that any storm will spare us. Unfortunately, not all are always safe. This is a serious issue that will be very difficult to overcome. Hopefully everyone is safe and the farmers will persevere. Praying for those affected.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Glad you all are safe and the farm escaped the carnage. The Farm news here just covered the damage up In Iowa. The dollar figure of the damage to crops is staggering, as is the widespread area affected.

I can remember only a handful of times that weather prevented working, and never did it destroy any of my Tile installations over the last 40+ years.

Farming 🚜 is a labor of Love and a roll of the dice every single year. Now, I enjoy a good adventure, but You Farmers have some giant Balls of Steel in my book. Every Year!
Stay Strong TDF! Love yer show!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

Spent what I had hoped would be a nice relaxing day with friends having a cookout. Unfortunately, kidney bean harvest had other plans today. Just nice got started this morning, and spent the rest of the day replacing a clean grain chain and doing a major clean out on the combine to get back up and running. All is good now and harvest is back on track. Time for a cold adult beverage .

Wedgy

Reaction score
Beautiful day up there for the harvesting for sure. Good job TDF!

I l Iove talking with the older Farmers I happen to meet here. Days of old, before AC cabs, when the cotton strippers were pulled as implements, 8 row monsters now!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
County fair was canceled this year, but a group of dedicated people were able to put together a sale for the steer pig and lamb exhibitors. I was blessed to be a part of that group. The sale was an online auction, and brought some good prices for the kids.

I wasn’t able to buy any animals from the sale, but was able to get some purchased after the sale and a couple from a college buddies kids from a different county. Needless to say, four pigs and two steers later, I have a family with full freezers.

Highly recommend finding a county fair and taking in the local animal sale to fill your freezer with some of the highest quality meat you can get. Maybe not the cheapest, but still cheaper than hitting the grocery store for your protein.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
It looks pretty dried out. Is that normal? I am just a city slicker.
Yes, for the start of the season, with no killing frost as of yet, this variety is in really good shape. We like to see the corn below 25% moisture any time during the season, and below 23 if we can get good drying weather. Last year we never got anything below 24 all year. This variety was at 21.5 and is running a modest 220 bushels per acre.

charlyox

Reaction score
And you want it dry for ethanol use right?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Good luck with the harvest. I hope God sees fit to keep your guys and equipment up and running, and the weather fair.
Stay safe sir, I hope everything runs smooth!

Wedgy

Reaction score
Good luck with the harvest. I hope God sees fit to keep your guys and equipment up and running, and the weather fair.
Stay safe sir, I hope everything runs smooth!
Yes! Was thinking of you last night, and I wish you a good harvest as well TDS. Fair weather and Godspeed! Love yer show!

Wedgy

Reaction score
Cool! Is the equipment driving itself down the rows Harvesting by GPS?
Do the enclosed cabs have heat and AC?

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Cool! Is the equipment driving itself down the rows Harvesting by GPS?
Do the enclosed cabs have heat and AC?

Yes, yes, and yes. I think he might even have leather seats and satellite radio in there too if I recall correctly.

Mark, from the little bit I've learned about farming the past year those look like really good numbers in yield and in moisture, I hope it stays that way for you!

BlowMe

Reaction score
Yes, yes, and yes. I think he might even have leather seats and satellite radio in there too if I recall correctly.

Mark, from the little bit I've learned about farming the past year those look like really good numbers in yield and in moisture, I hope it stays that way for you!

I was wondering if that was the moisture 👍

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score

Thanks Kota. Yes those numbers are really good. Unfortunately, the yield numbers are a bit inflated due to my yield monitor being stubborn, even though I calibrated. Cool to watch though.

Oh, and BTW, no leather in my combine, but the other one and my tractors as well do. Just like vehicles, almost cheaper with leather than to go with cloth anymore.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Thanks TDF, Inmates!

Our most popular vehicle inspection guy here in Levelland, Danny, always has Truckers and Farmers, young and old coming in. Over the past several years its been cool to meet them and hear their stories. Open tractors pulling the first cotton strippers as implements, my favorite. 2 row, I believe.

Of great interest here was the new hemp production regulations allowing the crop. We lost out to Wichita Falls for the plant, which was a major blow to the area, but. Should grow good around here, if we ever get rain. 😆

A big change in the cotton harvest. Cotton strippers that build the round modules wrapped in plastic sheet, instead of dumping into buggies, and then into the big module builders.
Farm On!!

Wedgy

Reaction score
I know you have been busy.. How is the Harvest going up there?

Here, 30 to 40% of Texas cotton is rated poor. See some sad fields locally. Some sure is green, not a bloom in sight. Some dry land is barely a foot tall, bloomed out, leaves dropped. If looks like a stripper might not even pick it up.
Dry land is a tough business.

Hope your area has fared better. Between Oil, and the crazy weather we took a beating, but we're holding down the Fort.

Farm On!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I know you have been busy.. How is the Harvest going up there?

Here, 30 to 40% of Texas cotton is rated poor. See some sad fields locally. Some sure is green, not a bloom in sight. Some dry land is barely a foot tall, bloomed out, leaves dropped. If looks like a stripper might not even pick it up.
Dry land is a tough business.

Hope your area has fared better. Between Oil, and the crazy weather we took a beating, but we're holding down the Fort.

Farm On!
Thanks Wedgy. Harvest has been charging along well. Been battling weather a bit lately, with three inches of rain on Thursday, and a couple inches of that white crap today That will likely hold us up a day or two. Yields a re not too bad, but in some cases not quite to the level I hoped. All in all, harvest is Progressing. Safe and steady.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Not to bog down the thread but I'm a little disappointed at the corn for Ethanol deal. A man has to do what he has to do to make the bills and keep the Family afloat.
Still enjoy the thread. Thanks for posting. All respect to you Tractorsdontfloat.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Not to bog down the thread but I'm a little disappointed at the corn for Ethanol deal. A man has to do what he has to do to make the bills and keep the Family afloat.
Still enjoy the thread. Thanks for posting. All respect to you Tractorsdontfloat.
Not offended, just confused as to your disappointment in ethanol? Please explain.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Thanks Wedgy. Harvest has been charging along well. Been battling weather a bit lately, with three inches of rain on Thursday, and a couple inches of that white crap today That will likely hold us up a day or two. Yields a re not too bad, but in some cases not quite to the level I hoped. All in all, harvest is Progressing. Safe and steady.

Good deal TDF. Good to hear good farm news. Very mild ce storm here, lol, closed a few long overpasses in Lubbock. Hope it clears soon and all you Farm Boys can burn rubber!!

As CJ says, much respect Sir!

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
Not offended, just confused as to your disappointment in ethanol? Please explain.
Not a fan of the ethanol deleo. That statement does not for one second infer I don't respect you, what you do or why you do it. Just not a fan. I absolutely respect your hard work and enjoy you sharing.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Hey TDF, CJ,
I respectfully submit and invite discussing this on Farm Notes. I believe CJ, that TDF is just interested in the why. I respect that you may not wish to discuss it any further, and may not want to Bog down this thread, as indicated.

I opened Farm Notes with a medical subject, the ACA. But it affected Farmers.

We have an Ethanol plant here, I think the Ethanol subject is interesting and has a lot that is worthy of discussion. Mandated use. Pro or Con, History of, etc.
Cheers 'Mates!

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
I'm already considered a leppor on this forum as in my real life. I have few "real" friends and consider this group my outlet away from what my pathetic reality is.
Yes I have a boat. Yes I used to run the river as a kid with my dad. What I don't want to do at this point in my life is to alienate anyone from a form of contact I enjoy.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Not a fan of the ethanol deleo. That statement does not for one second infer I don't respect you, what you do or why you do it. Just not a fan. I absolutely respect your hard work and enjoy you sharing.
I respect your opinion on ethanol. As a farmer, and one who uses center pivot irrigation, I am also respectfully not a big fan of "green energy " sources like wind turbine and solar fields, as these take very good productive lands out of production, or minimalize the efficiencies of the land. As for the ethanol, yes it is viewed as harmful to engines, especially the "toys" like boats and atv's. My personal opinion is that "Big Oil" has done a fantastic job of utilizing this mentality to drive this fear of the ethanol and its harmful effects very successfully. No disrespect felt here, nor intended toward anyone here. If you choose not to utilize ethanol for whatever reason, I am not offended. The government sets the mandate, thus its a viable source of sale for me, so I do benefit.

I have no issues discussing this further, either on this thread or on the farm notes thread. My whole goal with this thread when I started the original one was simply to inform and perhaps educate the readers of what farming for a living was all about here in my world. It hasn't been as heavily used this year as last, as I don't want it to get boring and redundant. But if it can be beneficial for helping educate or inform, I'm all for it.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Well said Gentlemen. Much respect Sirs.

I'm a Newby on RDP, and also to the Midwest. But my Family farm is here, and I love it here in Texas.. Boats too from an early age. IMO, you acquaint with many nice people here on the Boards, RDP being an successful anomaly among websites since the advent of Facebook. So we are fortunate to have this gathering place in this Era of illegal gathering. I agree,, It is much appreciated.

My Dad and Mom split up and Dad remarried. Mom was the one that took me boating/fishing. Stepmom here was Dad's HS sweetheart. And I visited Texas many times.

However different, We share a love of Boating and A positive impact as we all converse.
Cheers to the Future 'Mates!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Corn harvest 2020 is in the books. This is a pic of the official last pass of the season. Finished up at about 4 pm central this afternoon. Had a couple issues through the season, but there were no accidents and everyone came home safely every night.
9119D8AF-31C8-405A-8148-12E0E8BDD94A.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A trip into town for some obscure part for a broken machine is so much better than a trip to the ER! Glad you can park the combines in time for Thanksgiving, and hopefully the weather cooperated as well.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Good job TDF! Safety First! That was a big job. Enjoy your change of pace. Well done group effort.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Well they might not have tractors that don't float in your Hood! ... But around here there's far to many of them Fooking Wave Tractors that do! 😑

🤨:)

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Time will tell how it works. It’s a relatively new design that I think will be a great machine.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Is the biggest advantage to plow wet fields?
It’s more of a compaction prevention and ability to put footprint to ground. In theory, it should be able to pull harder with less slip and less overall footprint, but not compact the soil. In our soils, we see much higher wheel slip and in turn tire hop in hard pulls, and thus more fuel usage per hour accordingly.

For us personally, this was not the tractor we were really shopping for, for the duties we need it for, just from a cost perspective. I did not believe this style, as much as I think it fits as good as the one I was shopping for, was not going to be price competitive. My dealer had a couple in stock, and wanted to get a few out in our area, so they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. Not gonna complain.

Our soils are really sandy, so wet fields are usually not an issue, but I do think it will be decent in wet conditions though.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Green and clean! Ready for some snow eh!
Good Steed for the stable, good job on the deal. Good equipment supplier is good to find. The JD dealer in Escondido saved a moving to Texas trip when my trailer's seals failed, wet hubs. Ordered parts. R&R seals n bearings, swapped it over to BB's. Vroom.

Great people to deal with. Tractors aren't cheap. But its the people who add the true value of well run organizations. Carry On TDF. Love Yer Show

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
The new to me grain cart I bought a couple weeks ago finally got loaded on a truck and delivered today. This baby is a 1325 bushel cart, and is a few years old, but essentially a brand new cart as it has only had a few loads through it. Our hope is we can load a full semi when we head from the field to the load out. For reference, I added a pic of our other current cart, we have two of these and they are 875 bu carts.
16646D44-C740-44E4-875C-86BFF7CFB724.jpeg

6C94E743-FA1B-4BDC-A13C-B72B2454C48A.jpeg

Attachments

• A88F735A-3A92-4737-B5C3-1E7076EBC8B8.MOV
    15.3 MB

BlowMe

Reaction score
The new to me grain cart I bought a couple weeks ago finally got loaded on a truck and delivered today. This baby is a 1325 bushel cart, and is a few years old, but essentially a brand new cart as it has only had a few loads through it. Our hope is we can load a full semi when we head from the field to the load out. For reference, I added a pic of our other current cart, we have two of these and they are 875 bu carts.
View attachment 971601
View attachment 971604

Damn that is huge. Should hopefully make things a little easier for yall

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Your machine shop is yuuge!!

Do you heat with LP or used motor oil?
Thanks @snowhammer . Not as big as it looks. Back in ‘81 when it was built it was state of the art, but today it should be half again as big with sidewalls 6 feet taller and bigger doors. 66x100 does well though

Lp radiant heaters. You can see the reflectors on the top of the photo with the new cart. Heating the concrete floors with those, even in weather conditions like we currently have, opening the doors to get equipment in and out, moments after the doors are closed, you can’t tell they were ever opened.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That is a massive "cart"! I'm thinking about the size of the tractor in relation...cool!