WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Midwest Farm tour

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Very cool. That is a whole lot of monkey motion on that harvester. You all have to really make sure stuffs good to go before harvest time...one busted hydraulic line and you're parked losing money.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Went scouting fields this afternoon with one of my seed dealers. The couple varieties we were in were huge. Stuff was some fourteen feet tall and like walking in a jungle. Stuff is looking good.

This is basically a shot looking up from eye level. I’m 6 nutn, and it’s way up to the top.
A0AB4545-88A2-4D66-885E-76E16EF6BFBE.jpeg

Ear development looks good. Getting to what is called dry silk stage. This is the point where all kernels that are gonna get pollinated are . Still plenty of pollen falling in the canopy.
75538B56-8230-4803-A413-9E849EAD3E8D.jpeg

35C98CBD-F41D-42F9-9CFC-F4D6F181A98E.jpeg

The guy on the right is basically my height and notice the ears at head height. A lot of them are roughly 6+ feet off the ground. This is nice at harvest time.
BE1BF2F9-3E27-4785-869B-7C071C8C853B.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Calm before the storm? How long until harvest time? I showed my kids the 4th of July pics, and this weeks:eek:
Kidney bean harvest will be starting in around a week. We don’t have too many acres and they were planted in a series of four different plantings over about 10 days so will go fairly slow. Pea harvest has been wrapped up for a couple weeks, snap bean harvest is still full swing, and sweet corn is starting to come off and will be until mid September as will beans. Potato harvest has started with green dig and direct run. Storage will start early September.

Our corn and soybean harvest won’t fire up until around the start of October, and run rough mid to late November. I hope to be done before December. Hope this helps.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Kidney bean harvest will be starting in around a week. We don’t have too many acres and they were planted in a series of four different plantings over about 10 days so will go fairly slow. Pea harvest has been wrapped up for a couple weeks, snap bean harvest is still full swing, and sweet corn is starting to come off and will be until mid September as will beans. Potato harvest has started with green dig and direct run. Storage will start early September.

Our corn and soybean harvest won’t fire up until around the start of October, and run rough mid to late November. I hope to be done before December. Hope this helps.
Wow, lots happening on the farms. All this, and it happens at the beginning of the school year as well.
The corn stalks have grown huge! What I liked about construction was seeing what you have done. There is a sense of accomplishment when seeing physical proof of your work. For farmers, in your case, you go from miles of dirt, to a forrest. Lots of work to get it there, but no denying the work was put in when looking out the window.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Pulled a few kidney bean plants to check maturity and make the determination as to when we need to start desiccation. We desiccate to bring the whole plant to equal maturity and aid in harvest.

Here’s what the plants looked like. Pods are mostly to the tan stage. They are long semi flat pods that turn from green to white to tan once fully ripe and the seeds start to dry down.
0B83FDFD-CEC3-459D-8B62-3C888DFF74B5.jpeg

A closer look at a couple pods
ADB8DD00-9947-4F3B-B5A1-2C48309A2FB3.jpeg

Here’s what the beans in the driest pods look like.
3F3A6F64-8E6A-4C82-BAFA-1C635C36FEB8.jpeg

By the way, we sprayed the first planting to desiccate them today, so harvest will start late next week pending weather.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
FA4BDD0B-104B-4118-95C0-CE06F034E08E.jpeg

I’ve been meaning to ask you this and have forgotten about it until this weekend when I saw this.

Do you use crop duster services at all on your crops or do you do everything from the ground?

I’ve been seeing these guys in the morning on my way to work and saw this on my way to the water yesterday and told my wife to cue up her phone for it. I thought she did a great job, and I’m wondering what the camper ahead of us was thinking because one second before this was taken the camper dude and the pilot were eye to eye!:eek::eek::D

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
View attachment 788702

I’ve been meaning to ask you this and have forgotten about it until this weekend when I saw this.

Do you use crop duster services at all on your crops or do you do everything from the ground?

I’ve been seeing these guys in the morning on my way to work and saw this on my way to the water yesterday and told my wife to cue up her phone for it. I thought she did a great job, and I’m wondering what the camper ahead of us was thinking because one second before this was taken the camper dude and the pilot were eye to eye!:eek::eek::D
Great shot cred to the Mrs. That’s a pretty cool shot. I often wonder what some of the tourists think while traveling through the area and see a plane angling toward the ground the first time. A few tense moments for some I’d bet.

We typically do most all our own spraying early in the season, but the aerial application service sprays a lot of our ground for the vegetable companies and for our potato partners. We do use them too for late season things like fungicides on tasseled corn.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Kidney bean harvest has commenced. Based on maturity after examining the plants we pulled (a few posts ago if you’re wondering), we sprayed a desiccant on the first couple plantings last week. After the pre harvest window expired (7 days) we started harvest. We have taken about 150 acres off so far, with the rest sprayed to be taken off later this week.

The plants from the seat of the combine. They aren’t planted very thick relatively.
9B7F4158-5355-4C5B-9CEC-734BCE552051.jpeg

F602BB61-F3DC-44D6-823B-7E8E5DDA42DF.jpeg

The silver tube on the head is an air reel. The tubes point down to the cutter bar and blow air at the sickle to push seeds up onto the head.

It’s the time of year that most potato fields start to go from green to a very even shade of dead too. The killing of the plants helps the tuber skins set and they don’t skin during the harvest process. This field had been sprayed about 48 hours prior to the pic.
51A05D74-36D8-4410-98DE-9BD3B6B45720.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Seeing pictures of harvest make me think of fall coming soon...First chill of the mornings...but most importantly

Thanksgiving!
Lots of food, family...good stuff coming! About the only time big city kids hear about harvest. They really should learn from things like this thread.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Today’s project. Ripping the low areas to soften the ground in the kidney bean fields in the areas that drown out from the heavy rains earlier this summer. Hopefully this will help the water drain through the soil better and we won’t have so many problems next year. This ripper is running about 18-21 inches deep.
F793F69A-D243-4A02-8A54-69248645CB1E.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
As promised back in the spring, I am gonna give an update on the potato harvest that is currently in full swing. Unfortunately, Mother Nature has been giving the potato guys some major heartburn with inches of rain most of last week and hot weather this week. Makes for excellent boating, but not good for tater harvest. A lot of waiting for ground to dry, and temperatures to cool as harvesting taters warmer than 65* tuber temps don’t store well if they can’t be cooled down fast enough. This also hasn’t allowed me to get any shots of the equipment actually running, but here’s one crew the neighbors are running.

One Lenco self propelled 4-row harvester, one pull type 4-row harvester, two 4-row windrowers, and a pull tractor. The windrowers run ahead of the harvesters and lay the taters on the ground between the rows that the harvesters then dig those back up along with the rows they are on, essentially digging either 4, 8, or 12 rows at a time. The harvesters load direct into belt bottom bulk trucks. Notice the wide spacers on the pull type harvester to be able to straddle the rows and not drive on the windrows.
6EBCDE76-D7AA-4476-9C4C-F3A527411569.jpeg

Closer look at the spacers
22FCFE72-1FE1-4421-9B79-41135666CFB6.jpeg

The pull harvester. This is a harvester this farm moth balled a number of years ago, but resurrected last year to help during slow digging conditions.
E56F02B5-922C-481E-B66D-18CC8488F526.jpeg

46A04FF0-0E49-4A37-BFDB-8FEE57706804.jpeg

The self propelled harvester
34C6386D-DC8F-4D67-A53B-9D16DC6AF8D3.jpeg

The air separator. This unit lifts the potatoes off the lower belt as they come up from lower right to top left. The upper belt stops under the blower unit and as the taters are lifted off the lower belt, they hug the upper belt, and ultimately are deposited on the upper belt and carried up to the right in this picture, hen transfer to the boom belt and into the truck.
4051211D-0136-474E-B65A-A8B968893E2E.jpeg

This is a shot of the blade and chains of The windrowers, but both machines start the same. Simple concept. Blade goes some 12-14 inches deep in the ground, the chains carry the dirt and taters up and dirt falls through chains as taters continue.
79B390C9-0278-4280-A2C0-0E5078BC219E.jpeg

This is a shot from the back. The wide spaced chain (vine chains) lets the spuds fall through onto the second set of chains (secondary’s), and the vines carry over the back and deposit on the ground.The chains right behind the blades are the primary’s. The finger roll in the middle is behind the secondary’s and help with dirt removal. The cross chain on bottom is what goes to the side elevator by the airhead. On the windrowers, this cross chain is what drops the taters back into the harvester rows.
702D153D-E78B-44CA-BDE3-A218D367D8F8.jpeg

The windrowers discharge.
5FD8D38A-80D3-41A8-91A7-53BB263FBA17.jpeg

These finger rollers spread the taters from the rear cross to the full width of the side elevator.
A4B58D78-54DC-4DC6-BA9A-6F7518E2B0E4.jpeg

The engine compartment on the back of the Lenco.
31C7F080-6099-4F75-81C7-64619409121F.jpeg

The tool used to pull stuck trucks through the field.
4FEE530F-A768-4468-94CB-A24BA52C1CE3.jpeg

I’m sure I caused more questions than answers here, but ask away. I’ll try to answer and explain where I can. The storage portion will be coming in the next few days.

X-rated

Reaction score
Holy fak.....Makes my John Deere grain combines look pretty simple!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Whole lot of things happening, as you're moving down the field.

I feel sorry for the guy that has to put those wheel spacers on! On the big trucks, My buddy taught me to reach in and keep your head out of the rim...the impact gun is loud! Those spacers, you'd have to head in:eek:

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Getting ready to fire up the harvest season. Most years, we would already be started with the corn crop harvest, but due to the crop being a little behind and crappy weather for the past two weeks, we are running a little behind.

The new paint hit the farm yesterday morning. This and the two grain cart tractors all are in the yard, ready and waiting on the weather. Pretty sweet machine with lots of nice upgrades. Even has heated and cooled leather seat and in cab refrigerator.

6963044F-2240-44A4-9458-FEF40B496814.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Congratulations! Beautiful new combine!

How much bigger is this one than the 680s?
Same. The 7 series is the newer, updated version of the 6’s. Cosmetically, there are very few changes, but the cab interior is a bit different. The controls and the layout of the monitoring are the biggest changes.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Ah, it looked bigger when you have a person next to it for scale :D
Note the 8 steps to get to the cab platform. These machines go through my 13’6” tall shop door by less than two inches. Actually have to squat the tires most of the time, but they do fit. With the grain hopper open, the overall height reaches upward of 18 feet to the top.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Forgot to post this here. Visited the middle daughter down in southern IL a few weeks back celebrating our birthdays and took this for you in traffic.

View attachment 804438

Sorry it was on a Dodge...:D
I like it. Might need to get myself one of them. And put it on my truck right next to this one.
6F46EA6C-6855-4999-B70A-4D7E8F1A72FD.jpeg

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
And congratulations on your new rig. Now if you could just convince Ma Nature to turn off the shower head!!

Sheesh! It’s been ridiculous this month. Wettest year in history here. Hopefully you can first: get your crops off and second: have minimal drying. This weather ain’t helping it dry at all.

If you’re picking at night I might need to ride a few laps with you. I haven’t picked corn in 30 years!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Come on out man! You know your always welcome.

Yeah, the weather hasn’t helped anything dry at all. I’m guessing the dryer gas bill is gonna be big.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
It’s official. Harvest 2019 is underway. Got the combines and carts all set up and opened up the first field. Loaded a quick five loads.

F78CFAC6-B069-4D38-9AA6-8B18895023C2.jpeg

With the addition of the new 7 series combine, I added some updated technology in the cab. The combines are both running 4000 series John Deere processors as well as the two cart tractors for gps screens. With a little effort and a small antennae we are able to control the cart tractor from the combines. The cart operator pulls near the combine and activates their gps steering, which then the combine takes over and brings it to a designated spot relative to the combine. With a touch of a button I can move the cart forward or back and in or out from that spot as it fills.

Only about eight to ten weeks more to go.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Stopped by the farm quick before heading home tonight. The neighbor is working on filling our potato storage sheds and I took a couple quick pics before I headed home.

A shot a little wider to kinda help show scale. Just for reference the pile is roughly 18 feet high, and wall to wall is 45 feet. Front to back is 180 feet long. This bin, when full will hold 65,000 bags (100 pounds per bag, or cwt) of spuds. This building has two bins equally sized on one air system. Our other building has four bins, two on each air system.
D5B55CDC-9FE3-40EE-881D-77120123EFDA.jpeg

This is a shot of the front end of the piler conveyor full of spuds as they go into the bin. The trucks haul the loads of spuds to the shed. They are rear unload, belt bottom bulk trucks that unload onto a collector system that allows some of the loose dirt to be separated, as well as allow a crew to hand pick any field trash from the load as it conveys to the bin.
E265B84A-9344-4525-BA4F-4DE2A784C8B8.jpeg

This is a little closer shot of the potatoes coming off the end of the piler boom. The boom is low in the pile currently, as layering a lower line helps limit the roll of the spuds in hopes to limit bruising.
C7B809C4-5B00-46D6-AAF7-28F178E08C22.jpeg

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I’m out side of Chicago ( Dekalb, Rochelle) harvest has started corn , soybeans I would love to be on hand but I go see wifey this weekend

Last edited:

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Stopped by the farm quick before heading home tonight. The neighbor is working on filling our potato storage sheds and I took a couple quick pics before I headed home.

A shot a little wider to kinda help show scale. Just for reference the pile is roughly 18 feet high, and wall to wall is 45 feet. Front to back is 180 feet long. This bin, when full will hold 65,000 bags (100 pounds per bag, or cwt) of spuds. This building has two bins equally sized on one air system. Our other building has four bins, two on each air system.
View attachment 805020

This is a shot of the front end of the piler conveyor full of spuds as they go into the bin. The trucks haul the loads of spuds to the shed. They are rear unload, belt bottom bulk trucks that unload onto a collector system that allows some of the loose dirt to be separated, as well as allow a crew to hand pick any field trash from the load as it conveys to the bin.
View attachment 805021

This is a little closer shot of the potatoes coming off the end of the piler boom. The boom is low in the pile currently, as layering a lower line helps limit the roll of the spuds in hopes to limit bruising.
View attachment 805022
Is that Bobby in the first pic?

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Here’s a video I took today while harvesting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I know I’ve mentioned the cab controls for the combine before, but I don’t know if I’ve ever given a decent layout. Here’s a few pics to help lay it all out.

Here is the joystick that does most of the work. I push the joystick forward to go forward, pull back from center to back up. The four buttons on top are the three heads settings. 1 raises the head, 2 and three are lowered settings with two being normal harvest height, and three set so the tips of the snouts are right on the ground. The lower left allows me to shift head speed and adjust deck plate spacing on the corn head, and raises and lowers as well as fore aft for the reel on a bean platform.
The middle button raises and lowers the head as well as tilts the head side to side to follow contours. These lead movements are also run by sensors while on the ground to keep the head floating at the proper level regardless of terrain. The far right black button is to swing the unload auger out and in. The little round yellow button turns the unload auger on and off. The yellow button on top is the oh shit button. You never touch the oh shit button. The e f button on the front of the stick allows me to tip the head forward and back.
A548F8D5-9FB2-416F-8291-36F293E21C56.jpeg

This is the control panel next to the joystick. The yellow switches are to turn the separator and the head on. The left three orange buttons are throttle. Idle, high idle, and run positions. Middle three are park break, and transmission high and low. Basically field and road settings. I can adjust each to different max settings to give the stick more or less speed at full stroke. Right three are differential lock and high and low four wheel drive. The two knobs are for adjusting the preset head button heights, and to adjust reel speed on a platform. The three black buttons are auto speed control on, road lock, and hopper open.
578471EA-EE23-4A51-8C5E-2869F01EE3DA.jpeg

This is the next panel right of the one in the pic above. The buttons left of the green ones are all quick set buttons to all the combine settings. Head, rotor speed, fan speed, chaff spreader, concave clearance, chaffer and sieve, all settings to adjust the combine for the crop. The buttons on the right are all for adding quick links to page options within the screen.
65356A16-B5BD-46CF-AEDF-3A770A0E1453.jpeg

This is the cornerpost display. It shows fuel gauge, temp gauge, power usage, engine rpm, speed, head settings, and loss monitoring for the separator.
51DC32B5-1CAE-469F-BDEC-48B6F05916ED.jpeg

This is the screen mounted directly to the armrest. In my combine, because I’m running multiple screens, this screen is to monitor combine settings, instant readings for grain moisture and yield, and I can monitor the three cameras on the machine.
52777844-9C47-41D0-A6B9-8FE02D1811F8.jpeg

This is the second screen. It is mounted on the ceiling above the other one. This one is running guidance, yield monitoring, and controls the connection with the cart. When the cart is beside the combine, and connected with each other, it locks onto a fixed preset location in relation to the combine, always going back to the home spot as it connects. The grey box on the right side of this screen with the arrows allows me to move the cart forward, back, in and out a preset distance with each touch.
3D5FC93C-66B9-4D55-B495-858DE0F48739.jpeg

This is a bad shot, but it’s the screen running on the iPad. It is just another instant read of yield and moisture with additional info.
8741304E-A84D-488A-96B0-8B2BE84F16EC.jpeg

Needless to say, there is a lot of stuff going on in the cab at any given time, but mostly just data processing. It’s mostly kinda boring. Lots to watch.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I don’t see your RDP screen anywhere...:D

That’s beyond cool. Whole lotta technology to pick corn, man. Impressive!

What’s also impressive is how fast your ground speed is and how fast you’re processing stalks. How often do you have to stop and unplug the entire mess; once in a blue moon, once a field, once an hour? Or is that pretty well sorted out?

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I don’t see your RDP screen anywhere...:D

That’s beyond cool. Whole lotta technology to pick corn, man. Impressive!

What’s also impressive is how fast your ground speed is and how fast you’re processing stalks. How often do you have to stop and unplug the entire mess; once in a blue moon, once a field, once an hour? Or is that pretty well sorted out?
I find it interesting that you picked up on the speed. Most of the time I run about this or slightly faster. As for plugging, occasionally I have a row plug. But the head can be run backwards and generally will clear itself without me ever having to leave the cab. In extremely difficult down corn situations, however, it can get frustrating when the stalks lay on the snouts and ball up. Then it’s get out, pull it off and throw it back up on the head to help it feed.

All in all, it’s a once in a blue moon deal when all works correctly. Thousands upon thousands of stalks per row per hour, and most days never have a plug even once.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
With the crappy weather we have been having, corn isn’t drying well, and beans are too wet to harvest, so I took a few minutes today to gather trail camera cards from my cameras. Not much for impressive antler development, but I did get a few pics of this guy. I’m guessing we will be seeing him again when we harvest the corn on this field. Oh, by the way, this pic was taken on the south end of the field across the street from my house.
6E95A206-0BDA-4263-AA67-CA996E94892A.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
The taters out behind the house are getting harvested today. Took some photos and videos to show how the whole field operations process works.

a shot from behind the windrowers. Four rows each side being harvested and laid in the four rows the harvester will dig.
8D3B49FC-CA36-48D6-BCCA-20EF94150051.jpeg

a quick video as the spuds get dug by the harvester.

X-rated

Reaction score
Where do you source your help? With the oil patch booming next door I would think good help is hard to find?

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Where do you source your help? With the oil patch booming next door I would think good help is hard to find?
You are correct in the fact that help is hard to find. Good help is even harder to find.

I only employ about three people seasonally. That does not count my family as my wife, two sister in law’s, and my father all help during harvest, and I have struggled to find those three people. Often times I end up replacing at least one in season because they left because of one reason or another.

Trying to find the 80-100 seasonals that the farm that grows potatoes on our ground hires during harvest each year has been an absolute nightmare for the last few years.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
That is a fuck load of potatoes, too cool :D
Kinda starts to put it into perspective a little doesn’t it. There’s a lot of moving parts when it comes to raising crops and especially during harvest season.

Consider this. The trucks they are filling hold roughly 42000 pounds or 420 cwt of potatoes and in good digging conditions, they load a truck in about three minutes. In a fourteen hour day, each harvester loading 12 trucks an hour (conservative number), that crew puts away a pretty healthy pile of spuds a day.

Now keep in mind this farm runs 7 harvest crews. That’s a lot of tater chips!

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Kinda starts to put it into perspective a little doesn’t it. There’s a lot of moving parts when it comes to raising crops and especially during harvest season.

Consider this. The trucks they are filling hold roughly 42000 pounds or 420 cwt of potatoes and in good digging conditions, they load a truck in about three minutes. In a fourteen hour day, each harvester loading 12 trucks an hour (conservative number), that crew puts away a pretty healthy pile of spuds a day.

Now keep in mind this farm runs 7 harvest crews. That’s a lot of tater chips!
Absolutely... Looking at the pictures of the storage of the potatoes was very eye opening earlier in this thread. And to think that is one farm... Pretty impressive and such an under-appreciated part of our infrastructure.