WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Midwest Farm tour

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Chasing each other around the field today.

D9F76721-BCFA-49F0-B5B5-4544139A2AE5.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
We haven’t been able to harvest for a couple days now, with the likelihood of going tomorrow being kinda slight.

This was the scene on Wednesday morning, November 6th. We ended up with about three inches of this crap.
66548DD3-AE98-47F4-B04C-B05C5A25335C.jpeg

The problem now is getting the snow off the plants. I got up this morning to 9 degrees—9 fu@#$#$ degrees. We need warmer weather! This is what the plants look like this afternoon. Note the amount of snow here and there on the plants. This snow, if we tried to harvest now, with time would, if we were lucky, plug the sieves, not allowing the cleaning portion of the machine to do its job and corn would blow out the back onto the ground.
100ACB45-23A7-42BB-87C8-4317CCBA1B04.jpeg

If we’re aren’t lucky, this snow plugs sieves, builds up on the shoe augers, and ultimately can implode the cleaning fan. Voice of a very unpleasant experience there. Plugging sieves in this weather is bad enough, because the only way to fix that is to park the machine in where it’s warm, open it up, set up fans and get warm air movement into the inner workings to thaw it out..

Guys can harvest with snow on the ground, but it’s gotta be off the plants, and preferably stay out of the snow, but if they can’t, it’s gotta be cold enough the whole time to keep any snow from melting inside the machine. And combining when it’s that cold sucks in its own right.

So here we sit, three weeks behind. We are at the half way point with our crop, and 800 acres to do for the neighbor. Total still to do is in the 26-2700 acres yet. It’s gonna be a late season! And I’m getting more grumpy by the day the Mrs. says.

brownsuger

Reaction score
One of the guys that works for me helps his dad on the family farm.... Certainly challenging at times battling the weather.

Hang in there and best of luck

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
This has become the harvest from hell. Here it is the end of November and we still have 300 acres to harvest of our own and some 600 of custom. Our bins are almost full. Probably half of the 300 will fit, the rest will have to go somewhere. Most of ours is still in the low to mid 20s on moisture. That’s bad enough, but most of the neighbors is in the high 20s to low 30s. Drying and shrink on that is going to be expensive. And this weekends rain/snow crap weather is yet another delay.

brownsuger

Reaction score
I'm not a farmer, but live in a farming community and have a farmer (small farm) that works for me. I feel for you... being self employed is not all it's cracked up to be...

Changing the subject... Have you looked into growing Hemp? Couple farmer buddies of mine are doing a little research on it now.... Looks like it could be very profitable...

infield

Reaction score
I finally got done cutting my crops 2 weeks ago here in South Central Kansas. There is still some corn here unharvested due to it being replanted in late June because of flooding along the river. Luckily it is drying down on its own. Some people still have some beans to cut.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid, coming from a guy that can't grow a few trees, let alone acres of corn...but the bright side: You have crops to harvest, and a tractor or two running. It sounds like a constant balance between cost and profit, so I hope you come out ahead. I hope you had down time enough for Thanksgiving dinner with your family;)

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thing in full but browsed the whole thread...my hats off to you brotha...I'm in southwest Michigan and grew up grain farming 250 or so acres with my grandpa...miss it every day but my dad had no interest in taking the torch when grandpa was done so its all now leased out. I do however square bale about 200 acres of hay with my girlfriends dad so it fills my desire to farm for now haha. I would love to have a fraction of the operation you have and do it full time but I just don't have the backing to start up something like that unfortunately. I'm used to old equipment and sweating your balls off as only one of grandpas tractors had AC and it wasn't the combine lol. Again very impressive man extremely jealous!! Very very nice operation and equipment!!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I'm not a farmer, but live in a farming community and have a farmer (small farm) that works for me. I feel for you... being self employed is not all it's cracked up to be...

Changing the subject... Have you looked into growing Hemp? Couple farmer buddies of mine are doing a little research on it now.... Looks like it could be very profitable...
There are a few guys around growing a little hemp around. As in traditional farmer fashion, anything that looks like it could be profitable, I have to look at it. But I also see it as another short lived profit. As with every crop, once the supply exceeds the demand, profit level diminishes. My understanding is it’s high cost, high profit. Once profit is gone, you’re left with high cost, no profit. I’ll stick to what I know, I guess.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Hey, TDF, belated Happy Thanksgiving!

This weather isn’t helping you out at all, hopefully this next week of clear weather and near 30° temps gets you back on track.

I took these pics in central IL while driving back from FL a couple of weeks ago. It looked like there was a fire from miles away, but steam and city lighting played its trickery.

57571790-3F48-47E2-A2E6-29E128B58287.jpeg

A99B3FCD-9307-4138-87A9-997BFEA19B78.jpeg

9C0AD6C4-CA1C-4E48-9BF0-5BCB76CE78B7.jpeg

Do you have any cool pics of steam rolling off the driers?

brownsuger

Reaction score
There are a few guys around growing a little hemp around. As in traditional farmer fashion, anything that looks like it could be profitable, I have to look at it. But I also see it as another short lived profit. As with every crop, once the supply exceeds the demand, profit level diminishes. My understanding is it’s high cost, high profit. Once profit is gone, you’re left with high cost, no profit. I’ll stick to what I know, I guess.

Good point.... yeah it took my about 50 years to figure out that I need to do what I do best, and let others do what they do best....

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Thankfully, this is not my dryer, but one from southern Wisconsin that burned recently. I borrowed the pic from a Facebook post. Puts into perspective what can happen if we aren’t careful. My BIL shuts ours down daily for about an hour while he cleans it out in the burner area. Not that it can’t happen, just helps to be careful when dealing with burners and flammable contents.

5BFE8090-B317-4DFB-9DE6-646200725361.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
A very challenging harvest season finally came to an end this morning. Still have a few custom harvest acres to work on, with a couple good days to finish.

It was slow. It was challenging. It was long. But!!! 1000 acres of beans, 3600 acres of corn, some 1200 acres of custom work, and a few snow storms later, we are done.

Thank the good Lord for a bountiful, and successful harvest. Every acre got harvested. All the machinery is fully enact and in working order. There may have been a few repairs needed during the season, but that’s why we carry parts in stock. And most importantly, everyone is going home safe and healthy. Amen!

1895B90B-9948-4C3B-AEBB-919B22C10995.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I am so frustrated with the ads and comments from Mike Bloomberg about the intelligence required to be a farmer. Am I the smartest person alive? Hell no! But, I can assure you the mental toughness and ability to multitask, along with needing to know what you are doing and what the regulations are requires more than a remedial education.

This is exactly why I started this thread. Not to brag. Not to talk down on anyone. Absolutely nothing more than to tell my story and help someone who doesn’t understand what farming is learn a little about it.

I know I haven’t posted much on this thread lately. Kinda the slower time for me. That doesn’t mean I’m doing nothing. Lots of planning, meetings, and prep work for this spring.

I will say as a farmer, the current farm economy is not good. Prices have remained below break even for several months— into a few years now. Tough times. As we continue to find ways to reduce costs in times when there is no place to add revenue, we persevere. Unfortunately, with incomes low, stress levels become very high, and farmer suicide rates are at an all time high. Add to it a political picture that paints a picture of misinformation, and things continue to look bleak.

I will continue to tell my story, and purvey a positive image for the American Farmer. And I hope you will continue to enjoy this thread and learn along the way. I will continue to answer questions, and interact with you here as time allows.

Please do not take this post as, or make this thread a political one. I just wanted to make my voice heard from the front lines.
4348FA35-B506-4BBB-AFCC-2F7D3BBA4CBF.jpeg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I am so frustrated with the ads and comments from Mike Bloomberg about the intelligence required to be a farmer. Am I the smartest person alive? Hell no! But, I can assure you the mental toughness and ability to multitask, along with needing to know what you are doing and what the regulations are requires more than a remedial education.

This is exactly why I started this thread. Not to brag. Not to talk down on anyone. Absolutely nothing more than to tell my story and help someone who doesn’t understand what farming is learn a little about it.

I know I haven’t posted much on this thread lately. Kinda the slower time for me. That doesn’t mean I’m doing nothing. Lots of planning, meetings, and prep work for this spring.

I will say as a farmer, the current farm economy is not good. Prices have remained below break even for several months— into a few years now. Tough times. As we continue to find ways to reduce costs in times when there is no place to add revenue, we persevere. Unfortunately, with incomes low, stress levels become very high, and farmer suicide rates are at an all time high. Add to it a political picture that paints a picture of misinformation, and things continue to look bleak.

I will continue to tell my story, and purvey a positive image for the American Farmer. And I hope you will continue to enjoy this thread and learn along the way. I will continue to answer questions, and interact with you here as time allows.

Please do not take this post as, or make this thread a political one. I just wanted to make my voice heard from the front lines.
View attachment 846131

You’ll get nothing but RESPECT from me, sir [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blue Oval

Reaction score
Over 30 years of selling trucks. Sold a lot of trucks to farmers. Sadly lost several of them. Hard working honest people. And yes, smart people. Sold my personal truck to a Farmer by the name of Jim back in the 80’s. Jim and his brother never married. Still running the original family farm in Petoskey. Just sold him another new truck this past year. Hard working people. One of my dairy farmers has let his boys finally take over the farm. Not much of that happening these days. Great respect for these people.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Would we expect anything less from a pompous jack-ass from NYC?
Went to breakfast early at our local spot where many current and retired Business Men who grow our food hang out.
I will just say the comments were epic, loud and proud. It was more of a roast. Usually the place is fairly quite, This morning the laughter and conversations made me smile.

buck35

Reaction score
I'll get a picture of my food safety manuals ifor this year in the morning . I run a whopping 9 acres of fresh fruit production.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Over 30 years of selling trucks. Sold a lot of trucks to farmers. Sadly lost several of them. Hard working honest people. And yes, smart people. Sold my personal truck to a Farmer by the name of Jim back in the 80’s. Jim and his brother never married. Still running the original family farm in Petoskey. Just sold him another new truck this past year. Hard working people. One of my dairy farmers has let his boys finally take over the farm. Not much of that happening these days. Great respect for these people.

Petosky as in Michigan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nokomis

Nobody
Reaction score

View attachment 846131

What Bloomberg said is idiotic and offensive. All of us non-elites are morons I guess. I'm glad he's been so open about his disdain for hard-working Americans who he believes will vote to make him President.

Who the fuck does he think he is?

He deserves zero respect and needs to get dragged.

Fuck him and anyone who supports him.

charlyox

Reaction score
Thank you for the tutorial. I just finished reading the entire thread. Very impressive. I love the technology involved and your knowledge of it. You guys work your ass off. I was amazed at the speed the taters were flying into those trucks. And the harvesting of the corn with efficiency, holy shit! Thank you and all farmers for feeding America and the world.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Thank you for the tutorial. I just finished reading the entire thread. Very impressive. I love the technology involved and your knowledge of it. You guys work your ass off. I was amazed at the speed the taters were flying into those trucks. And the harvesting of the corn with efficiency, holy shit! Thank you and all farmers for feeding America and the world.
Thanks. Hope it was informative, and you learned a little along the way.

charlyox

Reaction score
Thankfully, this is not my dryer, but one from southern Wisconsin that burned recently. I borrowed the pic from a Facebook post. Puts into perspective what can happen if we aren’t careful. My BIL shuts ours down daily for about an hour while he cleans it out in the burner area. Not that it can’t happen, just helps to be careful when dealing with burners and flammable contents.

View attachment 822901
Those dryers look like cracking towers in oil refineries that I used to work in.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Farmers...

Farmers grow almost everything we have in our lives. Cotton, corn, soybeans, wheat, rice .... The list continues.

Look at a great boating weekend specifically. You pack the boat.
Cotton towel for the lovely wife to lay on on the bow getting a tan.
A picnic basket full of snacks and food for lunch--all farmer grown and most likely processed. An added ag economic benefit.
A cooler full of beverages for the day. Soda for the kids filled with corn syrup and sugar-- gotta keep them awake so they can stare at their phones conversing with the kid in the next boat five feet away, Coors, Budweiser, Miller, Corona... all the beers brands you can think of, all made with the rice, wheat or corn, hops, and the like for that refreshing feel and numbness that keeps you from arguing with the wife all day.
Then there's the wife's beverage... White claw! all the....................well, farmers don't make the water, so no help here. Sorry Guess I'll move along.

Have a great day and a great adventure on the water! Sarcasm only folks.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I really enjoy the fact this post has gotten so much interest, and I hope at least someone has learned a little along the way. I have Been asked to continue this thread by starting a new season , or start a new one. I have decided to continue the story by starting a new thread, Midwest Farm Tour 2.0, in the midwest chapter section. Feel free to follow the story over there, and enjoy the process. Thanks.