WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Midwest Post Hor Thread

BlowMe

Reaction score
Good morning yall. Happy hump day. Gonna be starting off my day pouring a basement then moving on to the porch and patio after that. Hopefully the day goes by quick. I'm wore out already lol

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
08E3548D-4855-49E0-961A-205AE56A4742.jpeg

Won’t be long now, boys! Unfortunately we’re having a lot of wind and I’m guessing the other side of Lake Winnebago will have shoves on it today. The west side of Door County in the bay of Green Bay had ice over the road this morning.

I told my buddy Monday that it’s the season where dumbass ice fishermen go out in Green Bay ice fishing right next to the shipping channel and the ice breaks off and they need to be rescued. Sure enough, yesterday the Coast Guard had to take their airboat out there to rescue those dumbasses. What a waste of resources.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Fishing off of your own personal Island, Every fisherman's dream. LOL :D

jb600

Highly unusual
Reaction score
That happens up here from time to time. Lol. Two years ago I came into work on a Saturday and noticed a bunch people ice fishing in the bay, came in later that afternoon, and it was all open water. Where’d they go? lol Coast guard was busy that afternoon.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
E4028A8B-22DD-4B94-8412-A659466B91C6.jpeg

Cool sight at the end of a wild week.

I must be living right as I met my youngest daughter at the outlet mall to check out a noise and check engine light on her car. Apparently my checkbook must’ve fell onto my running board in the dark and I didn’t notice it. I got a phone call while I’m eating supper at home (45 minutes away) from a fella asking if I’m missing my checkbook...about blew me away!

He’s got property about 25 minutes south of me and I’m meeting him there tomorrow afternoon. There is some hope for humanity! I’m certainly appreciative and lucky!

HST4ME

Reaction score
Walleye idiots are out in droves. Two big tournaments in town this weekend, If it wasn't so damn cold I'd grab a cooler and head to the ramp.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Walleye idiots are out in droves. Two big tournaments in town this weekend, If it wasn't so damn cold I'd grab a cooler and head to the ramp.

Pardon my ignorance and laziness to do research, but what makes it such a walleye frenzy, do they spawn right now?

A8934426-25D2-42FF-9893-4FD6DAAAA823.jpeg

This chunk of river will be wall to wall boats, and shoulder to shoulder on the remaining old bridge left for fishing in Winneconne (Winnie-Connie). It’s crazy, and I don’t know how they don’t tangle lines, especially when the bridge guys and boat guys are fishing the exact same spot.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
7762EF45-C087-4291-A45C-E23F19BBB242.jpeg

Went to the boneyard to pick up front and rear calipers and brackets from a 2005 Mustang to get some cores to work on adapting to my wife’s ‘68 Corvair budget pro-touring restomod. (Semi-pro touring??🤓)

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Mornin gang. Off to a meeting at my school with the teachers this morning. Two hour delay for the kids, meeting of staff and administrators to set our plan in place, kids for today and tomorrow, then extended spring break through fri next week, then home instruction electronically till April 3 at least.

As a School board member iI’ve seen some strange stuff, but this is completely new territory for me. I understand the reasoning, just not the way the government waited till Friday at 5 pm to declare closures effective Wednesday afternoon. It has been a busy weekend building a plan to educate, and feed these kids during this time.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I really feel blessed to live in small town America. We may not have a lot of fancy stuff In our little school, but our staff is truly the greatest. In one short day they have worked out a way to provide at home education for our kids. We are a very high free and reduced district, and many don’t have home computers or even internet. (Don’t get me started on the number of these kids with fancy smart phones). The staff has stepped up big, and the administration has figured out a way to make sure every student in the district will receive meals at home as well.

God I love living in a community that cares!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
;)
I really feel blessed to live in small town America. We may not have a lot of fancy stuff In our little school, but our staff is truly the greatest. In one short day they have worked out a way to provide at home education for our kids. We are a very high free and reduced district, and many don’t have home computers or even internet. (Don’t get me started on the number of these kids with fancy smart phones). The staff has stepped up big, and the administration has figured out a way to make sure every student in the district will receive meals at home as well.

God I love living in a community that cares!
Can I ask what you've come up with, particularly fur the early grades? My wife is a kinder teacher, and also in a free/reduced school. Most of her kids don't have a computer at home, and have not spent time on them in school either. My wife almost reached her breaking point this morning, stressed about having enough for our kids if things get bad, as well as feeling as her other kids (students) are getting shafted. I don't like seeing her stressed, but "Skoolin' " isn't my strong suit.
If you don't want to put folks asleep here, you can PM me ;)

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
;)
Can I ask what you've come up with, particularly fur the early grades? My wife is a kinder teacher, and also in a free/reduced school. Most of her kids don't have a computer at home, and have not spent time on them in school either. My wife almost reached her breaking point this morning, stressed about having enough for our kids if things get bad, as well as feeling as her other kids (students) are getting shafted. I don't like seeing her stressed, but "Skoolin' " isn't my strong suit.
If you don't want to put folks asleep here, you can PM me ;)

Our school district has done something similar. My daughter brought her Chrome book home last week. The school has set up Google Classroom for each grade. It is largely self paced, but the teachers have twice daily WebEx sessions with the kids. It is pretty slick. Each week the teachers will upload a lesson plan and then we'll work through it.

There is a possibility that the kids won't go back to school this year, so I guess we all might end up homeschooling... LOL...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Our school district has done something similar. My daughter brought her Chrome book home last week. The school has set up Google Classroom for each grade. It is largely self paced, but the teachers have twice daily WebEx sessions with the kids. It is pretty slick. Each week the teachers will upload a lesson plan and then we'll work through it.

There is a possibility that the kids won't go back to school this year, so I guess we all might end up homeschooling... LOL...
I think the unofficial official is weekly packets for my wife's class. Online just doesn't work for teaching the basics of school. Aside from the lack of household PC's, and the kids not knowing how to use them, ABC's and basic arithmetic are the core concepts. The big issue I see is the lack of parental involvement. Some of these parents at my wife's school are in their early 20's, and not prepared for anything.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I agree that the absolute key here is parental buy in and involvement. Especially with the younger grades. Unfortunately, I see achievement gaps growing much larger in the have vs have not districts. Tech is great, as long as the student is able to use it. But when some parents put zero effort into their kids, and having kids who are second or third generation of "education isn't that important" mentality, or lack of respect for your elders mentality for that matter, those kids become relatively unengageable and it really comes down to lack of parent willingness.

I once had a principal in my school tell us, the board members, that she contacted a parent about an issue with their child. The parents response was "I don't care, he's your problem from 8-3, I have to deal with him the rest of the time." This was an elementary principal by the way. Tough situation there.

It is surprising how well many of the parents and teachers are handling these circumstances, and some kids will probably excel.

RichL

Reaction score
A buddy dropped his pontoon in the little lake we live on earlier this week.

This was in the water in front of the Ravenna Boat Club on Berlin Reservoir the weekend before last.
20200308_204903.jpg

J-Bonz

Reaction score
Holy cow Berlin is low! Is that normal for this time of the year? We used to boat there on the early mid 80s. There were always hot boats runnin out there

RichL

Reaction score
Holy cow Berlin is low! Is that normal for this time of the year? We used to boat there on the early mid 80s. There were always hot boats runnin out there
Yeah...They have finally started to bring it back up a little. Won't let it fill till closer to May depending on the weather and rainfall amounts. Anybody out there now must know the riverbed.

BlowMe

Reaction score
He got the 2 drains taken out and it's just stitches now and healing up as nicely as it can for the circumstances. And my buddies wedding was supposed to be on april 4th....but now its moved to October....

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
He got the 2 drains taken out and it's just stitches now and healing up as nicely as it can for the circumstances. And my buddies wedding was supposed to be on april 4th....but now its moved to October....
Good and bad, no one died, and the wedding will still happen. Just no second party!

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
He knows the lake perfectly- been on it for MANY years - new to him, first time in the water

BlowMe

Reaction score
Morning yall. Hope everyone has a good and safe week.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
About 3 inches of snow last night. Which means the kids are going to be cooped up today .

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Snowball fights for PE...?
We're expecting rain out here. Oh well, still a decent morning, got food and we all woke up ;)

There is about an inch of mud underneath the snow. It's hard enough to keep the house clean with all of us here all of the time. Kids are getting screen time today after their school work is done. :p