WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Migraines F^*+ing suck!!

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with Migraines?

I rarely have health issues but for the past few months I have been getting migraines.

Used to be 1 a week, twice a week, and now it’s been almost everyday. Yesterday had three episodes.

It’s fucking debilitating!!

I have an appointment with urgent care today to see if they can give me something.

Also have an appointment with my optometrist to see if my glasses prescription changed causing me to get migraines.

Set up another appointment with my primary to get a full physical and blood screening.

I’m missing hours of work, luckily I’m salary, but still falling behind.

Shit this might be a sign to clean up my eating habits and stop drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Have you changed your diet? MSG, aged cheeses, and artificial sweeteners trigger mine

Stress and lack of sufficient sleep also.

Nothing out of the ordinary in my eating habits.

I don’t drink coffee or caffeine.

I do have a stressful job but nothing out of the ordinary lately.

My wife did notice lately that i might have sleep apnea.

RCDave

Reaction score
Do you get an Aura before they kick off? I do as I get ocular migranes. If I pound 3 advil asap, it helps me. But mine tend to recur in strings lasting up to 3 days.

MIGRANES SUCK

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I used to get them 2-3 times a week.
went on Fioricet... helped for awhile.
I found Excedrin Migraine helped pretty good. popped 3-4 if needed.
I feel your pain, used to make physically ill.

KMH

Reaction score
I have been talking CBD for sleeping. It seems to be helping but only on my second week (Deep Sleep @ Kactus Kush)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I get them, my main trigger is lack of sleep. And we have a 4-month old…FML

Dehydration is also a trigger for me, especially when combined with a lack of sleep.

Imagine someone grabbing your optic nerve - from behind your eyeball and all the way back into your brain - and squeezing the shit out of it…that’s my migraine.

I never got diagnosed until one was so bad, it sent me to the ER…they diagnosed it as a cluster headache, gave me a shot of something that worked for a bit, then I got a rebound migraine.

Saw a neurosurgeon soon after, classic migraine. The only thing that helps are triptans. I take sumatriptan (generic imitrex) literally everywhere I go, and it’s a lifesaver.

If I feel a slight aura, and I catch it in time, then a single dose will kill it.
But sometimes it takes two doses.

The best advice I can give:
Find your trigger(s).
Then avoid them at all costs.
Get a diagnosis and find what works to relieve the pain.
Don’t be caught without your meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

Reaction score
Oh, and I just started taking this.
Not sure if it’s effective, but I haven’t have one since I started taking it.

IMG_7187.png

Joe mama

Reaction score
For a couple years I was getting them maybe 2 times a month and would last like 3 days as RCDave said. I stopped drinking wheat beers and cut out the wine. Now it’s rare for me to get one. I really think it diet related. They do suck and even now if I feel anything head wise I throw down Motrin just in case. I definitely know how you feel. Hope you get it figured out. I lucked out
Somehow.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Do you have any back pain at all? Spine problems, slipped discs, spinal fluid leakage? will all cause migraines.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I get them, my main trigger is lack of sleep. And we have a 4-month old…FML

Dehydration is also a trigger for me, especially when combined with a lack of sleep.

Imagine someone grabbing your optic nerve - from behind your eyeball and all the way back into your brain - and squeezing the shit out of it…that’s my migraine.

I never got diagnosed until one was so bad, it sent me to the ER…they diagnosed it as a cluster headache, gave me a shot of something that worked for a bit, then I got a rebound migraine.

Saw a neurosurgeon soon after, classic migraine. The only thing that helps are triptans. I take sumatriptan (generic imitrex) literally everywhere I go, and it’s a lifesaver.

If I feel a slight aura, and I catch it in time, then a single dose will kill it.
But sometimes it takes two doses.

The best advice I can give:
Find your trigger(s).
Then avoid them at all costs.
Get a diagnosis and find what works to relieve the pain.
Don’t be caught without your meds.

Thanks just got some sumatriptan!

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Wifey changed her diet and started getting them bad , went back to regular and they went away

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Migraines run in my family. Grandmother, mother sister and my daughter all get them on a regular basis. My mom and sister get Botox shots every three months and they now have zero migraines.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Migraines run in my family. Grandmother, mother sister and my daughter all get them on a regular basis. My mom and sister get Botox shots every three months and they now have zero migraines.
Where do they get the Botox shots? On the head?

gqchris

Reaction score
Do you have any fluorescent lights around you? I swear, some particular flavor of those set me off. First time it happened I was at a car dealership, i got the Aura. My vision kinda started flickering. No headache, but then it stopped and holy shit. Optics nerve pain like no other. It almost gives me a “blind” spot in middle of my vision also for the duration. Buddy whonis eye dr says its the classic optic nerve migraine. Have not had one in 2 years or so, but I can only imagine the pain you guys go thru with daily ones!

Last edited:

RCDave

Reaction score
Do you have any fluorescent lights around you? I swear, some particular flavor of thos set me off. First time it happened I was at a car dealership, i got the Aura. My vision kinda started flickering. No headache, but then it stopped and holy shit. Optics nerve pain like no other. It almost gives me a “blind” spot in middle of my vision also for the duration. Buddy whonis eye dr says its the classic optic nerve migraine. Have not had one in 2 years or so, but I can only imagine the pain you guys go thru with daily ones!
I think it's some of the led lights. I get that too

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I have tried a dozen meds... This works well for me...

I have ocular migraines.... Once I get a blind spot I have 30 mins to try to get a head of the pain....

Excedrin and Frovatriptan gives me pretty good results.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Smells kick them off for me. Old lady perfumes trigger them almost instantly. Sometimes smelling exhaust fumes from something running rich will do it. Dehydration will also kick them off. Only thing that helps is a hand full of Advil and a cool dark room.

gqchris

Reaction score

I have ocular migraines.... Once I get a blind spot I have 30 mins to try to get a head of the pain....

Thats exactly me also, no pain with the blindspot but I know in about 30 mins all hell is going to break loose! Glad im not the only one with that weird symptom.

pronstar

Reaction score

Triptans are awesome [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
My neighbor’s wife takes this.... he works for the company and currently traveling the USA in this motor home.
Drastically reduced her migraines.
3CA4A155-4F72-40C5-B71D-18B0CFFD3EB5.jpeg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I get the vision aura with blind spot 2 days in a row once a year. If I can pop 600 mg of Ibuprofren during the aura I can avert the headache.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I guess mine are aura. Often starts with poor vision then looks like tearing jagged lines with colors both eyes identical. Usually 10-20 mins later pain starts in. When I was younger pain was horrible, light was painful. Didn't have hardly any for several years, last year they came back, not as severe, once or twice a month, sometimes a couple in a week. As soon as I notice it, 2 Excedrin migraine and it dulls the pain enough to function.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I get migraines a couple a month. When I realize one is coming my go to is 2 excedrin aspirin 500 mg and a 12 oz Coca Cola. Usually snap out of it in less then 30 mins. If I miss the window to stop it. I’m fucked. It’s debilitating might as well go to sleep and turn off the lights.

badgas

Reaction score
I'm 52 and used to get them like once or twice a year from age 27-40. For some reason they tapered off ? I think for me surrounding weather triggers sinus issues that lead to migriane. When I go from hot dry to cold damp my nose pluggs up and I know it's on. I get a pounding headache that leads to Nausea then I puke and after a hot shower I pass out for long nap. When I get up I have a crazy craving for a McDonalds cheeseburger and coke, two things I never eat. It sounds crazy but it is what it is and yes I eat it along with super salty fries.

It has been at least 5-7 years since I have had one but last weekend after being in the dry havasu air I was visiting family in HB sitting outside in the damp air at night combined with second hand cigar and cig smoke from my brother I felt one coming on. My nose started pluggin up head pouding etc. I took two alieve and statrted spraying Afrin in my schnoze to open up the air flow.

It knocked it down but the next day I was pretty foggy.

I KNOW it was from smelling the smoke and maybe the damp air.

So to @crzy2bealive , Do you ever have sinus issues ?

My father had bad migraines that stopped cold at age 45. He smoked heavily from his 20's- 40's I dont know if that had any impact on them.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Get on Bee Pollen for sinus/allergy issues. It works great. I was able to drop allergy meds because of this stuff.

A4D94DFE-0811-4334-8538-AEAF9B41B11C.jpeg

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Spent a longtime trying to manage debilitating migraines. Over the counter meds, caffeine, etc. Doctor turned me onto triptans as @pronstar said. Prescribed a few to find one that worked for me. Dissolving tablets were a must, my migraines usually made throw up. Then they put me on a preventive medication. A simple beta blocker usually used for high blood pressure but doubles at a preventative migraine medication for some. Worked great. Went from 1-2 a week to 1 every few months.

I can remember having a particular episode at work and sequestering myself in a conference room with the lights off - lying flat on the floor trying to ride it out before driving home in what could be two hour traffic.

Somebody came by and was fuming mad the door was blocked and lights were off. My boss busted in livid thinking I was napping. He looked down at me (I’m sure I liked like hell) and before he could speak, I quietly said I have a migraine. He slowly turned the lights back off and left. He even came back and left a soda outside the door. Good guy. Turned out he got migraines too.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I used to get them once twice a week. I had a prescription for Zomig. It’s the only thing that worked. I could eat 10 Excedrin Migraine and not make a dent. I’d have lay in my room, door closed, lights off.

Then one day they started to become less and less frequent. I probably have a handful a year now.

I also avoid the triggers. Certain foods, smells, etc will trigger it.

Good luck. There are prescriptions now that weren’t there when I was getting them 25 years ago.

Meaney77

Reaction score
No personal experience with Migraines. My wife gets them regularly but deals with it.

The company I work for makes a drug for Migraines and we would occasionally get patient guest speakers to come in and tell us about their stories during all staff meetings. I never really understood how debilitating these are until seeing and hearing some of these patient stories.

Might be worth looking into with your doctor.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
The wife has had them for years "dibiltating" doesnt even come close to describing , I can remember her laying for most of a day in the motor home loft or a dark bedroom all day , and a couple times with word aphasia (scary) , IMETREX was her salvation , works quickly to relieve symptoms , leaves her a bit dopey but worth the expense, rap on wood mine (so far) are only the aura which is fkin annoying

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I'm 52 and used to get them like once or twice a year from age 27-40. For some reason they tapered off ? I think for me surrounding weather triggers sinus issues that lead to migriane. When I go from hot dry to cold damp my nose pluggs up and I know it's on. I get a pounding headache that leads to Nausea then I puke and after a hot shower I pass out for long nap. When I get up I have a crazy craving for a McDonalds cheeseburger and coke, two things I never eat. It sounds crazy but it is what it is and yes I eat it along with super salty fries.

It has been at least 5-7 years since I have had one but last weekend after being in the dry havasu air I was visiting family in HB sitting outside in the damp air at night combined with second hand cigar and cig smoke from my brother I felt one coming on. My nose started pluggin up head pouding etc. I took two alieve and statrted spraying Afrin in my schnoze to open up the air flow.

It knocked it down but the next day I was pretty foggy.

I KNOW it was from smelling the smoke and maybe the damp air.

So to @crzy2bealive , Do you ever have sinus issues ?

My father had bad migraines that stopped cold at age 45. He smoked heavily from his 20's- 40's I dont know if that had any impact on them.

No sinus issues.

But I do know strong scents trigger my migraines.

Example - febreeze or any kind of bathroom spray.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
No sinus issues.

Hot dogs for me. The smell or taste used to send me over the edge. I don’t eat them from stands or places they steam them anymore, so I’m not sure if they would still trigger it. I’m not about to find out.

Imitrex isn’t as strong as zomig. At least for me. Weird thing is, they don’t take the migraine away, they just relieve the symptoms. You still know the migraine is there if that makes sense. I’m just thankful they aren’t a regular thing for me anymore. It truly is miserable and I feel for anyone who lives with them.

badgas

Reaction score
No sinus issues.

Same here 95% of the soaps or candles etc that my wife brings home go in the trash.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Woke up and instantly had a migraine. Too late to take the medicine I was prescribed so I just rode it out.

Went to the zoo with the kids and started feeling one coming on. Took one pill and drank some coke and it was gone in 15 mins

pronstar

Reaction score
Woke up and instantly had a migraine. Too late to take the medicine I was prescribed so I just rode it out.

Why too late?

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Why too late?

I was told it’s only effective if taken right when the symptoms start not when it’s a full blown migraine already.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Dam back to back days waking up with a migraine!

I’m going to try sleeping propped up on a recliner tonight.

My wife thinks I might be developing sleep apnea as I passed out at the river last weekend and she was concerned with my breathing.

Who knows I’m willing to try anything.

IMG_2573.png

pronstar

Reaction score
I was told it’s only effective if taken right when the symptoms start not when it’s a full blown migraine already.

Huh, I hadn’t heard that from my doc.
But I also haven’t let one progress that far since my trip to the ER.

If I feel even a hint of one coming, I pop a sumatriptan.
If it’s still there 2 hours later, I pop another.

Seems to work for me…thank God I’ve never woken up with a full blown migraine…but I have woke up to auras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Went to the optometrist today and my prescription has significantly changed. This could be a trigger to my migraines as the last time I had migraines like this is when I first needed glasses. (Several years ago)

Still seeing my primary tomorrow for overall health screening.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Wrote down a migraine diary and determined that sunlight is my trigger.....fuck. Can’t stay indoors the rest of my life.

Have a follow up appointment with doctor after MRI.

7/20 - migraine driving to doctors appointment. Within 30 mins of being outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/21 - Migraine 5pm walking to CVS, within 30 mins going outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/22 - migraine 4pm went outside to work on water heater, within 30 mins going outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/23 - migraine driving kids to grandparents, within 30 mins going outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/24 - no migraine, didn’t go outside till night time

7/25 - woke up with migraine, 4am. Trigger over stimulated from staying out late Saturday

7/26 - 8am migraine after driving kids to school, within 30 mins of going outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/27 - mild headache all day

7/28 - 5pm went outside for 10 mins. Trigger - sunlight?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Wrote down a migraine diary and determined that sunlight is my trigger.....fuck. Can’t stay indoors the rest of my life.

Have a follow up appointment with doctor after MRI.

7/20 - migraine driving to doctors appointment. Within 30 mins of being outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/21 - Migraine 5pm walking to CVS, within 30 mins going outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/22 - migraine 4pm went outside to work on water heater, within 30 mins going outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/23 - migraine driving kids to grandparents, within 30 mins going outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/24 - no migraine, didn’t go outside till night time

7/25 - woke up with migraine, 4am. Trigger over stimulated from staying out late Saturday

7/26 - 8am migraine after driving kids to school, within 30 mins of going outside. Trigger - sunlight?

7/27 - mild headache all day

7/28 - 5pm went outside for 10 mins. Trigger - sunlight?

Ever tested your blood pressure or blood/sugar during these events?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I’ve dealt with what I thought was migraines since I was 10 or so years old.
They tested my sugar, b/p, visited a chiropractor many times before 12 years old.

I have figured out somewhere along my 50+ years of living I am sensitive to barometric change.
I’ll have a headache for a couple days, then it rains in So Cal. In July? As an example.

Cross country road trips, love em and hate em at the same time. Due to pressure change.
Might be worth taking note of for some of you.