WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mike Finnegan’s new 21 Daytona!!

Sherpa

Reaction score
love your write ups Mike......... the lake you test and run at looks really nice..... living in the bay area, it's either the delta (great skiing) or a 3 hour drive to higher mountain lakes if you're looking for nicer climate. the valley lakes (McClure, Don Pedro, etc are so friggen hot.,.,. love the boat.!

DaveH

Reaction score
I learned a lot during the most recent water test of the 21 Daytona. Built a larger diameter charge tube from the turbos to the throttle body and it lowered the air inlet temp almost 40 degrees and added 300 rpm and 6 mph to the top end of the boat. it also builds boost faster, accelerates hard and I'm ready to turn the boost up again.
what was the turbo outlet temp?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I learned a lot during the most recent water test of the 21 Daytona. Built a larger diameter charge tube from the turbos to the throttle body and it lowered the air inlet temp almost 40 degrees and added 300 rpm and 6 mph to the top end of the boat. it also builds boost faster, accelerates hard and I'm ready to turn the boost up again.
Awesome results. With the timing bumped into 20s I would expect the botë to turn a 125 mph. I run it in my supercharged Kawasaki zh2 motorcycle and the wife’s Alfa Romeo 2.0 turbo.

Have you considering running BOOSTane marine addictive.

And dyno results of it

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Over mechanical fuel injection? Never realized that the turbo exhaust was twords the front of the boat, wonder if they were playing with weight?
Not sure if it was intentional but seems like a handy side benefit of mounted forward.

cyclone

My name is Mike and I have a boating problem.
Reaction score
Awesome results. With the timing bumped into 20s I would expect the botë to turn a 125 mph. I run it in my supercharged Kawasaki zh2 motorcycle and the wife’s Alfa Romeo 2.0 turbo.

Have you considering running BOOSTane marine addictive.

And dyno results of it

Currently, I'm running 93 octane in the primary fuel cell. This is what the engine runs on when I'm just cruising. As soon as the ECU sees 7psi of boost it turns off the 8 primary injectors and turns on a second set of 8 injectors, which are fed from a secondary fuel cell that's full of 120 octane race fuel.

DaveH

Reaction score
the intercooler was lowering the IAT 100 degrees. the air coming out of the turbos was about 236F.

236F coming out of the turbos, 136F below the intercooler, in the intake manifold.
and this is after the 40' drop from changing the intake plumbing? so previously you were like 276'?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Currently, I'm running 93 octane in the primary fuel cell. This is what the engine runs on when I'm just cruising. As soon as the ECU sees 7psi of boost it turns off the 8 primary injectors and turns on a second set of 8 injectors, which are fed from a secondary fuel cell that's full of 120 octane race fuel.
Ok now we are talking! Have you considered doing e85 for that as it will have a chemical intercooler effect

I run that BOOSTane on my jet for 95 octane base then use a aem meth water injection at 50/50 mix just below the Holley 2x4 super sniper efi but above the 6-71

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Ok now we are talking! Have you considered doing e85 for that as it will have a chemical intercooler effect

I run that BOOSTane on my jet for 95 octane base then use a aem meth water injection at 50/50 mix just below the Holley 2x4 super sniper efi but above the 6-71

Only problem with that is the misery of e85 killing the fuel system while it’s stored in the off season.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Only problem with that is the misery of e85 killing the fuel system while it’s stored in the off season.
shhhh the big kids are talking lol

It’s not hard to off load fuel for winter etc. dropping his intake temps even more might result in some serious power if he ups his boosted timing into the 20 degree realm.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
shhhh the big kids are talking lol

It’s not hard to off load fuel for winter etc. dropping his intake temps even more might result in some serious power if he ups his boosted timing into the 20 degree realm.
Does not take much of that e85 goo in an injector to really ruin your day.. especially in a dual fuel setup.

The adults know not to run e85 out of a pump anyway. 😉

DaveH

Reaction score
and it absorbs water in a marine environment, and the lack of range from the increased fuel demand.......

now that he has inlet temps in the 130 range...which is actually decent given the boost level and high ambient to start with, you wouldn't see a huge gain with e85 anyway.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
and it absorbs water in a marine environment, and the lack of range from the increased fuel demand.......

now that he has inlet temps in the 130 range...which is actually decent given the boost level and high ambient to start with, you wouldn't see a huge gain with e85 anyway.
He is spraying it over the top for octane boost while under boost. That goes a much longer way then just a single fuel tank

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I’m in agreement. He’s got a lake full of water as an icebox.

These dual fuel setups are the stuff of dreams just a handfull of years ago.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
He is spraying it over the top for octane boost while under boost. That goes a much longer way then just a single fuel tank

He can say for sure but I think he is spaying solely on the race fuel system while under boost, not both systems.

cyclone

My name is Mike and I have a boating problem.
Reaction score
He can say for sure but I think he is spaying solely on the race fuel system while under boost, not both systems.
correct. each fuel system has its own in-tank pump, regulator, injectors (16 total) and feed/return lines. at 7 psi of boost, the second set of injectors turns on and the primary injectors turn off. you can't even feel it switch over. it works really well. The Holley Dominator ECU handles the fueling, ignition, and data logging all in one box. its pretty cool.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
correct. each fuel system has its own in-tank pump, regulator, injectors (16 total) and feed/return lines. at 7 psi of boost, the second set of injectors turns on and the primary injectors turn off. you can't even feel it switch over. it works really well. The Holley Dominator ECU handles the fueling, ignition, and data logging all in one box. its pretty cool.

That whole setup is killer.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Very cool. What kind of water pressure are you seeing now