WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mike Finnegan’s new 21 Daytona!!

Duramax

Reaction score
Great video! I need some work on my trailer and that place looks amazing! I am going to give him a call since I am just down the road.

Where on the river was this? Was this Needles?

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Cool vid. I really want to start checking out the big River area

cyclone

My name is Mike and I have a boating problem.
Reaction score
did some maintenance on the boat today and discovered a few things; had a blown silicone hose coupler resulting in a massive boost leak during the first water test and during our river trip. Also, turned on the boost controller and with 10 psi on the waste gates it ran 103 mph today. turned it up to 15 psi and it went 110 mph. The boat leaves hard. zero cavitation during the holeshot. It pulls hard, has one small hop around 70 mph and then it drives right past that and keeps pulling until I lifted at 110. Tomorrow we'll drop the shoe and feed the pump more water, turn the boost up again and let her eat.

TexasJet

Reaction score
TOPLESS made the video also. Your boat is beautiful but the word that came to mind when I looked at it is "complicated". It is very impressive though.

cyclone

Reaction score
TOPLESS made the video also. Your boat is beautiful but the word that came to mind when I looked at it is "complicated". It is very impressive though.
its definitely complicated. the complexity is something I've always disliked on turbo setups and there's so many small things that can go wrong. My roots are in Big Block Chevy's with big shots of nitrous. But I like learning about new things and this one has taught me a lot. Plus, its really good on gas if you can keep your foot off the floor. lol

TexasJet

Reaction score
Thankfully, you have the knowledge, resources and contacts to make something like that work. Simplicity is the key for most of us. In the four weekends I've been is Arizona my little carburetor 496 has not missed a beat in 300 boating miles.

Duramax

Reaction score
did some maintenance on the boat today and discovered a few things; had a blown silicone hose coupler resulting in a massive boost leak during the first water test and during our river trip. Also, turned on the boost controller and with 10 psi on the waste gates it ran 103 mph today. turned it up to 15 psi and it went 110 mph. The boat leaves hard. zero cavitation during the holeshot. It pulls hard, has one small hop around 70 mph and then it drives right past that and keeps pulling until I lifted at 110. Tomorrow we'll drop the shoe and feed the pump more water, turn the boost up again and let her eat.
How does the boat feel at 110? Mine is planted and solid.

Great build! I am for sure going to hook up with your trailer place, that dude had some skills.

Duramax

Reaction score
Great video. I kept yelling at the screen, “keep in it, you will pull thru the porpoise!” Lol

cyclone

Reaction score
Great video. I kept yelling at the screen, “keep in it, you will pull thru the porpoise!” Lol
with three people in the boat It didn't stop. with just me in the boat it drove right through it. boat is very sensitive. lol

cyclone

Reaction score
Is kevin as nice and as good at this stuff as it appears?

I enjoy watching him build stuff.:cool:

Beautiful Daytona turned out sick!!
Kevin is a rennaissance man; Dude is an excellent tuner, driver and fabricator. Doesn't drink or curse either. Genuinely nice guy and a lot of fun to be around.

cyclone

Reaction score

here's a little update on both boats. The twin-turbo 711ci Hemi-powered Placecraft jet boat is back on the water and my wife's 21ft Eliminator Daytona went faster than it has before. was a good couple of days of water testing.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

here's a little update on both boats. The twin-turbo 711ci Hemi-powered Placecraft jet boat is back on the water and my wife's 21ft Eliminator Daytona went faster than it has before. was a good couple of days of water testing.
Did the rerouting of the water lines help? What did it get the pressure too. What kind of regulator did you try to run first and what issues did you get

Also congrats on 111 mph. Fucking impressive

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Did the rerouting of the water lines help? What did it get the pressure too. What kind of regulator did you try to run first and what issues did you get

In the video, he rerouted them 3 different ways -

1. Pump to engine to intercooler, managed to push 80 psi water pressure.

2. Pump to intercooler to engine. Still was running engine a little warm. Regulator was installed too.

3. Pump to engine and overboard.
With a second line from pump to intercooler and overboard.
Better intercooler temps as well as engine temps. I think the regulator for the engine cooling side only.
-16 overboard out of the intercooler.

Dan'l

cyclone

Reaction score

The water pressure on both the engine and intercooler is OK now. However, the intercooler doesn't work very well. I'm seeing 116F air inlet temp at the beginning of a pass and 172F at the end of the pass, which is preventing me from turning the boost up any more. Its current making 19 psi boost. I've spoken to the intake manifold manufacturer and they've allegedly tested the intercoolers to 100 psi water pressure in the core. They are recommending I restrict the water outlet from the intercooler from a -16 line down to a -12 and run the boat again. They believe slowing the water down will help. I'm questioning the location of the water inlet and outlet fittings on the intercooler; I believe the entire core of the intercooler is not being covered in water. There are a few other LS brick-style intercoolers out there and at least one of them is having this same issue. I've spoken to the owner/driver of a boat that has the same problem I have. I'm going to run another test an restrict the water outlet on my intercooler and if that doesn't solve the issue then I'm going to look at redesigning the water inlet and outlet of my deal. if that doesn't work then I'm going to look at a larger intercooler.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
The water pressure on both the engine and intercooler is OK now. However, the intercooler doesn't work very well. I'm seeing 116F air inlet temp at the beginning of a pass and 172F at the end of the pass, which is preventing me from turning the boost up any more. Its current making 19 psi boost. I've spoken to the intake manifold manufacturer and they've allegedly tested the intercoolers to 100 psi water pressure in the core. They are recommending I restrict the water outlet from the intercooler from a -16 line down to a -12 and run the boat again. They believe slowing the water down will help. I'm questioning the location of the water inlet and outlet fittings on the intercooler; I believe the entire core of the intercooler is not being covered in water. There are a few other LS brick-style intercoolers out there and at least one of them is having this same issue. I've spoken to the owner/driver of a boat that has the same problem I have. I'm going to run another test an restrict the water outlet on my intercooler and if that doesn't solve the issue then I'm going to look at redesigning the water inlet and outlet of my deal. if that doesn't work then I'm going to look at a larger intercooler.
Have you considered doing meth injection on it? I run it on my 6-71 setup from aem.

cyclone

Reaction score
Have you considered doing meth injection on it? I run it on my 6-71 setup from aem.
Ive considered switching to E85 but since I have port injection the benefit of cooling the air through latent heat vaporization isn't as good as it would be if I was injecting it before the throttle body. Before I go redesigning the fuel system I'm going to keep on trying to make this intercooler (or another one) work properly.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Slowing the water down may help. Years ago my friends dad was having cooling issues with a muscle car. Said the coolant was flowing to fast for all of it to cool in the radiator. Your case may be flowing to fast to grab any heat. Something like only the center of the radiator had flow. Said think of it like a river. When its flowing too fast, the center flows more than the shoreline. Heat needs to dissipate or be grabbed from the shoreline as well. The middle of the river isn't enough area. You want all the water to flow evenly so you get an even cool. Slow down the flow of the river. Anyways they switched water pumps to a slower flow and it helped.

Last edited:

gottaminute?

Reaction score
Ive considered switching to E85 but since I have port injection the benefit of cooling the air through latent heat vaporization isn't as good as it would be if I was injecting it before the throttle body. Before I go redesigning the fuel system I'm going to keep on trying to make this intercooler (or another one) work properly.
add a center section to the intake and put another cooler core in. plumb the cold water into the lower one and then through the upper and out.
IMG_0139-2.jpg
_gn30_02-2.jpg
IMG_0139-2.jpg
_gn30_02-2.jpg

575cat

Reaction score
Windshield washer bottle with squirter,s in front of each turbo :p

DaveH

Reaction score
do you have an air temp sensor BEFORE the intercooler?

before making any changes, I would want to know the turbo outlet temps by placing a temp sensor post turbo and your IAT sensor after the intercooler. that's the only way to really gauge intercooler effectiveness. also keep in mind you are starting with 110' ambient temps and relatively warm water temps.

sure 172 after the intercooler is high but if you are seeing 250+ before it......your intercooler isn't the problem........ and at 19psi I would bet you are in the 250+ range.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
It's the easiest driving boat I've wheeled yet. I dont really have to steer it and it pulls really hard. I like it a lot.
I have been 130 in a 21 Daytona, and 115 to 120 frequently with 2-4 people in the boat. It was a great riding hull and felt solid at any speed. This one had a shorty outdrive and not a jet, so not exactly the same thing. Just talking about the hull at speed.

Love the build. Came out killer.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Probably the best bet to see how well or not the intercooler is truly working would be to measure the inlet and outlet water temp. Do you have any kind of thermal performance chart from the manufacturer for the intercooler? This is hydronic cooling and is in my wheel house. Happy to lend some input or info if you'd like.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Put a suitable size ball valve on the outlet and monitor your IAT accordingly.

Nordie

Reaction score
Watching the videos, my first thought was e85, there was also a thought on where exactly that you're taking the temps from. I do like what @DaveH has to say as well.

DaveH

Reaction score
i'll say it louder this time.....what kind of temps do you think come out of the turbine at 19psi?

I've seen 220F at 15psi in 75' air. he is starting well into the 100's. ill bet he is WELL over 250F, closer to 275 in which case he is seeing about a 100 drop.....meaning the only way he is going to get lower temps is to put a LOT bigger intercooler on it or find a more efficient turbo that isn't making so much heat. this isn't a water problem.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Also made consider making ram air tubes that would suck air away from the header/manifold might help as well.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
May not be an issue but it could be possible that you have gotten debris stuck in your intercooler. I would do a back flush of your system and see if any contaminants come out.

Also I would recommend running a strainer before it hits anything of the engine for this reason.

cyclone

Reaction score
I'm gonna go test again on Wednesday. The only changes I"m making are install a temp sensor into the charge pipe before the throttle body. I'll be able to see temps post-turbo and post-intercooler. Also built a new 4.0" OD charge tube that will be less-restrictive than the previous version. The first go-round I didnt have any tubing to build it properly so I merged both 2.5" OD outlets from the turbos into a 2.5" OD tube that then tapered up to 4.0" at the throttlebody. The new setup should flow better. Maybe it will be less restrictive and lower IAT as well? who knows? I'm gonna try it regardless.
IMG_0126.jpeg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I love your life. once I "finish" something, I rarely have time to go back and tweak on it.

for instance, it took me 3 months to put a new head unit in the Ultra after it decided it was a submarine 😅

Last edited:

cyclone

Reaction score
I love your life. once I "finish" something, I rarely have time to go back and tweak on it.

for instance, it took me 3 months to put a new head unit in the Ultra after it decided it was a submarine 😅
most things I rarely go back and improve but I have a rare window of free time right now and so I'm gonna see if I can make this thing run better.

cyclone

Reaction score
I learned a lot during the most recent water test of the 21 Daytona. Built a larger diameter charge tube from the turbos to the throttle body and it lowered the air inlet temp almost 40 degrees and added 300 rpm and 6 mph to the top end of the boat. it also builds boost faster, accelerates hard and I'm ready to turn the boost up again.