WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mike Mack Skiing

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I was wearing a Mike Mack shirt yesterday and someone asked me who he was. So I'm searching the net for a video of him and I came across my buddies pulling him in their Schiada. Nice little dock start too. Not a lot going on in the video really but I thought some of you guys might appreciate the start. [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I remember the billboard coming into Parker as a kid. It's an icon to Parker as much as the Ken Tuff painted on the railroad bridge.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I remember the billboard coming into Parker as a kid. It's an icon to Parker as much as the Ken Tuff painted on the railroad bridge.

I think that Ken Tuff was actually cleaned into the soot on the bridge.. Lol. And it remains to this day? Don't quote me on it but that's what it always looked like to me.

HBCraig

Reaction score
He makes that start look easy. It isnt. Well done.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
He is amazing to watch on a water ski...he taught me to dock start like in the begning of the video.....the learning curve on that is STEEEEP.....lol

I miss skiing with him, we used to ski every morning and in HS I used to work for him as a driver during the summers. Great times...... I need to get my fat ass skiing again.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I think that Ken Tuff was actually cleaned into the soot on the bridge.. Lol. And it remains to this day? Don't quote me on it but that's what it always looked like to me.

I always thought it was some crazy 1950's lead based super toxic type paint lol.

This picture I took was a few months ago. Hasn't changed a bit in the 37 years I've been alive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458318586.133279.jpg

RodnJen

Reaction score
I remember seeing that video before and thinking not only how smooth the start was but the timing of the driver as well.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Nothing against Mike Mack...but those starts are 80% timing on the drivers part...you have to know your boat well. He is the guy who controls how good the skier looks...my Dad was a pro at that..driving part.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Very cool video :thumbsup

Never done a dock start, the National Park Service (Lake Mead) is a real buzz kill... Some 'rule' about no Skiing in a No Wake zone :p

But I have shore started and the way I was initially taught (throw the last 2 coils of rope, yell hit it, jump and hope for the best) I never got up.

Eventually in college I learned another (boat idles out, line get taunt, yell hit it, jump and hope for the best) and got up on the first try.

So how does one dock start?

AFUEL7067

Reaction score

Close it was done with a grinder / disc sander ..

Hammer

Reaction score
He is amazing to watch on a water ski...he taught me to dock start like in the begning of the video.....the learning curve on that is STEEEEP.....lol

I miss skiing with him, we used to ski every morning and in HS I used to work for him as a driver during the summers. Great times...... I need to get my fat ass skiing again.

I need to become a decent skier again. I wouldn't mind taking a few lessons this summer to brush up. Whole reason I bought a new slalom ski last summer was to get my fat ass off the bar stool and on a ski. Maybe we can ski to Road runner for Bloodys every morning. :D

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I need to become a decent skier again. I wouldn't mind taking a few lessons this summer to brush up. Whole reason I bought a new slalom ski last summer was to get my fat ass off the bar stool and on a ski. Maybe we can ski to Road runner for Bloodys every morning. :D

From pirates? Lol.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Very cool video :thumbsup

Never done a dock start, the National Park Service (Lake Mead) is a real buzz kill... Some 'rule' about no Skiing in a No Wake zone :p

But I have shore started and the way I was initially taught (throw the last 2 coils of rope, yell hit it, jump and hope for the best) I never got up.

Eventually in college I learned another (boat idles out, line get taunt, yell hit it, jump and hope for the best) and got up on the first try.

So how does one dock start?

It's pretty close to as stated above but 4 coils and impeccable timing between the driver and skier.

A lot of "hoping for the best". Lol

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
It's pretty close to as stated above but 4 coils and impeccable timing between the driver and skier.

A lot of "hoping for the best". Lol

Lol. Mike can probably do that start in his sleep.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Very cool, I watched the entire thing. Mike is the only one that has gotten me up on a ski a couple of years ago. I'd love to just get up and hang behind the boat for a few. I was serious about a ski club in my thread a couple weeks ago.

thetub

Reaction score
wasnt there a picture of him skiing and basically laying flat on the water while cutting at the Badenochs Bar?

Would love to get a hold of that picture.

fmo24

Reaction score
We had to beach start to get the four of us going behind my stoker
imagejpeg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I remember taking a lesson from him behind his old Natique with the wood swim step about 25 years ago...good times for sure, except for the 6 in the morning part.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I remember taking a lesson from him behind his old Natique with the wood swim step about 25 years ago...good times for sure, except for the 6 in the morning part.

Great vid.

I remember waking up at 6 for skiing in my younger days. It was too hot to sleep anyhow.

TCHB

Reaction score
I remember mike teaching mike

Parker Dreamin

Can I get a what what ???
Reaction score
Taught me about 30 years ago. First with two skis then to one.