WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Milk

Hypnautic

Reaction score
When our twins and daughter were young our weekly trip to Costco included 5 to 6 boxes of milk. Two gallons per box. Almost every trip someone would ask us how long that lasted. We were just happy they drank milk, cause that’s a whole lot cheaper than a can of formula at $30 an can that only lasted for two and a half days.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
That's cheap, locally(small town) $3.49 gal. My wife insists on organic for my kids $5.99 1/2 gal.
Try and buy at Costco but closest at 40 miles away doesn't carry organic any more. Grocery outlets not bad at $5.99 gal. Average at least 2 gal a week.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I love Capt. Crunch. I could eat a whole box at one sitting and have.
81097591_2798981120137104_5251948119070867456_n.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score
When I was a teenager, my mom bought one of those refrigerated milk dispensers you might see in an old school diner. It was on top of a cabinet in our laundry room, next to the kitchen. It dispensed milk from 3 gallon bladders that were encased in a cardboard box, and held four of them at a time. Between my and my four brothers and our friends, we put away 10-15 gallons a week.

My mom was the best, she would do anything for us, and I miss her terribly.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I remember riding my bike to the local market to get milk with two one dollar bills. And get eleven cents back.

That was 1978ish.

Gas has probably quadrupled since then, or more.
And milk went up, what, sixty cents...??

Subsidized? You bet.

Dan'l

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I use to love milk as a kid. Between my brother and I we would go thru 6 gallons a week. One day my Mom trying to save from going bankrupt as a single mother brought home this Powdered Milk bullcrap. That might be the worst shit I’ve ever tasted :eek: lol

dave29

Reaction score
Two largest Dairies filed for bankruptcy. One of the, was Borden. Milk and cheese in a hurt. Turns out not as many people are buying milk. Dairy farmers are going down too. Really sad.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
As I have gotten older, about from my mid 20’s, milk would start to make me real gassy, it was fun then the gas gave way to diarrhea, not so much fun. Now if I have any milk, within 20-30 minutes I’m running for the bathroom. If I get anything from a coffeehouse I have to make sure they use a milk substitute like almond or coconut. Only one of my boys is affected, he uses lactaid milk if he has cereal or a glass, the other one it doesn’t bother him at all, but really spicy food gives him the hiccups, just like his pappy.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I use to love milk as a kid. Between my brother and I we would go thru 6 gallons a week. One day my Mom trying to save from going bankrupt as a single mother brought home this Powdered Milk bullcrap. That might be the worst shit I’ve ever tasted :eek: lol
As a youngin', we had that crap in the pantry. Pops did construction, no sun, no work. It was on the same shelf with canned cornbeef hash, Spam, salmon and the flour...to this day, I really like chipped beef on toast (SOS).
Come high school, I was consuming a gallon a day on my own. I'd usually skip lunches a few days a week, and buy milk to take home. Pops' health wasn't very good for a few years there. I was really aware of the cost of food at that point. I "subsidized" quite a bit...I ate like a damn cow.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I only buy one half gallon a week, for my morning mocha.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I don't buy milk, but know its expensive in Canada. My town and neighboring Surrey has a large South Asian population, mostly from India. They live in multi family homes, sometimes three families in one home. They love milk. Even in Canada their shopping carts are filled with it.

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Two largest Dairies filed for bankruptcy. One of the, was Borden. Milk and cheese in a hurt. Turns out not as many people are buying milk. Dairy farmers are going down too. Really sad.

Just to clarify, Deans and Borden’s are processors not dairies. Regular fluid milk consumption has been on a decline since the 80’s. Cheese, butter, yogurt and milk proteins have had great gains. But with two of the larger fluid milk processors in the nation filing BK, you have Coke purchasing the remaining stake of its partnership in Fairlife, which is primarily fluid milk. So does Coke know something Borden’s and a Deans doesn’t? Fairlife being a pretty new brand has a difference: it’s got more protein and calcium than “regular” milk. Fairlife has also been the fastest growing beverage brand to date. It brings more to the table though (pun intended) because you can get more of your daily nutritional value out of one glass than you can with regular milk, and I won’t even get started on the plant based shit that that has more chemicals than your unleaded gas.
My point is, that big processors saw a decline in sales and virtually did nothing. A new brand comes along using filters to make a bit more nutritionally valuable milk that is lactose free, and you have a winner. Milk just needed to step up with the times.

dave29

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification troostr.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Deans and Borden’s are processors not dairies. Regular fluid milk consumption has been on a decline since the 80’s. Cheese, butter, yogurt and milk proteins have had great gains. But with two of the larger fluid milk processors in the nation filing BK, you have Coke purchasing the remaining stake of its partnership in Fairlife, which is primarily fluid milk. So does Coke know something Borden’s and a Deans doesn’t? Fairlife being a pretty new brand has a difference: it’s got more protein and calcium than “regular” milk. Fairlife has also been the fastest growing beverage brand to date. It brings more to the table though (pun intended) because you can get more of your daily nutritional value out of one glass than you can with regular milk, and I won’t even get started on the plant based shit that that has more chemicals than your unleaded gas.
My point is, that big processors saw a decline in sales and virtually did nothing. A new brand comes along using filters to make a bit more nutritionally valuable milk that is lactose free, and you have a winner. Milk just needed to step up with the times.
A lot of people doing Almond milk too. My mom who’s 80 won’t touch anything but Fairlife.

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
Shit i can buy a quart and have it goe bad.

Try Fairlife, because of the Ultra-filtration and UHT pasteurization (both also unique to the brand) it typically has at least a 6 month shelf life. The UF and UHT remove the bacteria that makes milk "sour".

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
milk substitute like almond or coconut
I'm addicted to oat milk. Was using almond milk but oat milk tastes and has the consistency as close to real milk than any of the others. Good stuff but, $$$$ in the store for the organic Oatly brand. My honeypie makes it at home now with organic oats, cashews and good RO water for dirt cheap. Make as little or as much as you need. Love it! Check it out!

sirbob

Reaction score
$2.49 a gallon. Gas at Sams Club in Bullhead yesterday $2.41. The kid is going to have unleaded in his Capn Cruch soon. :confused:

MAN THATS CHEAP!

Prices in our neighborhood

Milk - 4.99 a gallon
Gas - 3.89

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I'm addicted to oat JUICE. Was using almond JUICE but oat JUICE tastes and has the consistency as close to real milk than any of the others. Good stuff but, $$$$ in the store for the organic Oatly brand. My honeypie makes it at home now with organic oats, cashews and good RO water for dirt cheap. Make as little or as much as you need. Love it! Check it out!

Fixed it for ya...

Dan'l

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
When our twins and daughter were young our weekly trip to Costco included 5 to 6 boxes of milk. Two gallons per box. Almost every trip someone would ask us how long that lasted. We were just happy they drank milk, cause that’s a whole lot cheaper than a can of formula at $30 an can that only lasted for two and a half days.

I have a weird love for milk. I put down almost a gallon a day myself. Plus the 3 boys. Our garage fridge has probably 15gallons stocked always. I drink whole milk. The two older boys organic 2% and the youngest organic whole. You don’t want to know what that costs :eek:

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
My boy and I both drink a lot of milk. Being he is 4 you would expect that but a surprising number of his classmates don't drink any in the morning with their breakfasts. I have some with most meals.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Try Fairlife, because of the Ultra-filtration and UHT pasteurization (both also unique to the brand) it typically has at least a 6 month shelf life. The UF and UHT remove the bacteria that makes milk "sour".

I purchase it exclusively to return the favor....never realized all the benefits.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
We had 2 members @ RDP involved major Dairy Production.Both gave impression Successful and totally up to date with all the upgrades in the dairy business.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I have a weird love for milk. I put down almost a gallon a day myself. Plus the 3 boys. Our garage fridge has probably 15gallons stocked always. I drink whole milk. The two older boys organic 2% and the youngest organic whole. You don’t want to know what that costs :eek:
I couldn’t F’ng imagine!!
I buy a quart of organic half and half...was over $6?!
My wife just kicked dairy, so I can start buying my Land o Lakes for less than half. :rolleyes:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

$30 a can..... I WISH my daughter's formula was that cheap. It's $50 for a normal sized can and it's mixed at twice the ratio (1 scoop per ounce versus 1 scoop per 2 ounces typical formula).

All my kids and my wife are allergic to dairy in one fashion or another. None can drink straight milk but all but the youngest can eat it when it's been processed in some way (cooking, etc). I used to drink milk like crazy. Now I've noticed it doesn't agree with me if I have more than 1 glass a day.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I couldn't find it but Howser visited another dairy where they generate their own power with decaying cow manure.