WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Miller Millermatic

Backlash

Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I've been looking around for some time, but I wasn't thrilled about the newer imported machines and the chance of getting something that wasn't easily serviceable. I wanted something reputable, so it was basically a choice between red or blue. While scouring Craigslist, I stumbled into this Millermatic 200. It looked promising, so I reached out to the seller. He had this MM in his shop along with a slew of other Miller products. His other machines were newer, so this one had been pushed into the corner of his shop where it sat unused.

We agreed upon a time, and I met him at his shop. We moved several items out of the way, rolled this baby out and plugged it in to a giant Miller Bobcat he just happened to have sitting nearby. It fired right up and laid down a nice bead.

He was offering the welder, the gun, an almost full tank of 75/25, and a giant spool of wire for less than what I could have bought a newer lesser quality machine for. I didn't even try to haggle him about the pricing.

167996.jpeg

We unplugged the power, disconnected the gas line and I unloaded the tank. Then we loaded everything up and I was off and running! 😁

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
I got it home and had to use an engine hoist to unload it. They don't make them like they used to! Or maybe I'm just getting old and didn't feel like throwing my back out trying to muscle it to the ground. 😁

The machine works as it sits, but I still felt like I needed to tinker around with it. It's in my DNA.

20220131_100001.jpg

The plug needed some attention, but it wasn't anything that prevented the machine from working. I just didn't like the fact the sheathing was cut short, the wires were frayed and long and the black wire was secured with a chrome socket screw facing the center of the plug.

20220202_144726.jpg

I trimmed back the wire a bit, left the sheath long so it could be clamped inside the base of the plug and switched out the set screws. I also positioned the leads correctly inside the plug. Now that that part is wrapped up, it's on to the next "Fix."

Reactions: DLC

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Nice pick up, I just left the welding shop, I owe my pop a roll of wire, I have always used his big machine but man I need one at home but have never pulled the trigger,. The miller 211 is up to $1700 right now, Craigs List here I come :)

Backlash

Reaction score
I really like the features of the new Millers, but man the pricing was just too much for me at this point in my life. I wanted a Tig welder because it would allow me to get into some aluminum projects I have squirreled away, but for now, this MM 200 will work out just fine. All of my aluminum projects will just have to wait. 😁

Backlash

Reaction score
Whats the duty cycle?
If you're asking me, I wanna say it's rated at 60%, but I could absolutely be wrong about that. I'm no expert here, just a weekend hack! 😁 I'll check in the morning and get back to you. It's too chilly to go out in the garage to look at it.

Backlash

Reaction score
The front swivel caster is broken, and does a swell job of simply holding the machine upright, but it doesn't swivel or roll properly. So I put this baby up on blocks and pulled the caster to see if I can find a replacement.

I also started to notice different fasteners used on the exterior panels of the welder. For shits and giggles, I started removing some "Just because."

20220201_142300.jpg

Two out of the five are the same, but only one of these looks like it came from the Miller factory. The one on the top in the above picture. So, I'll be replacing these with new hardware later on down the road. I found it slightly humerous and it makes me believe that someone has probably been inside this machine at one time or another.

The seller was kind enough to sell this machine with a mig gun that actually works, so I won't complain about that. It is fairly long; I'm guessing it may be 12-15'. But the ground clamp is considerably shorter. That is something that I also plan to replace. The ground clamp itself has a really good feeling, and is as sturdy as you can imagine. But it and the cable need some love....

20220201_132142.jpg

😁

I also checked with a local welder service facility, and they can service this machine and are able to still obtain parts for it. That's another reason why I jumped on this machine when I saw the for sale ad.

Backlash

Reaction score
Hey! Don't muddy up my thread with your mugshots! 🤣👍

What are your machines used for Vic? It looks like a power source with an external wire feeder. I'm curious as I honestly don't know.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Hey! Don't muddy up my thread with your mugshots! 🤣👍

What are your machines used for Vic? It looks like a power source with an external wire feeder. I'm curious as I honestly don't know.
These were production welders the pile drivers were using. I’m actually putting them on a pallet now and shipping them out as I don’t really have a use for them.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I really like the features of the new Millers, but man the pricing was just too much for me at this point in my life. I wanted a Tig welder because it would allow me to get into some aluminum projects I have squirreled away, but for now, this MM 200 will work out just fine. All of my aluminum projects will just have to wait. 😁

I cant yell you how many blue tig machines ive seen sitting dead in a corner because "a circuit board went out" and the board only costs $2k 🤣

If the quality was better they may justify the price, but having a $7k power source broke down for a $2k circuit board makes Machines like Everlast really attractive.

I have a 325 Everlast, bought it in 2015, been an awesome machine and kicks ass on aluminum, basically matches all the features you'd use on a blue box. It was 3k all in with torches, cooler, etc.

Wire feed machines, blue all day, I don't think ive ever seen a broken one, i have that almost identical millermatic

Backlash

Reaction score
Once I finish going over this machine and cleaning things up, I'm looking forward to getting back on some old projects. Baby steps! 😁

Backlash

Reaction score
Whats the duty cycle?
Your ad here, I snapped a quick pic of the duty cycle for you.

20220207_151149.jpg

I found a set of swivel casters that were the same size as the original, but the new ones were not a single post type caster. These mounted with four nuts/bolts and are rated at 200lbs. each. Both of the original casters were shot.

20220207_143140.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
I removed the lower cross bar and drilled a few extra holes. I slapped some new bolts in and tightened everything down. Much better!

20220207_151053.jpg

Next on the agenda was disassembling the ground clamp from the cable. The nut was tacked to the clamp, so it took a little convincing to get it removed. The size of the bolt securing the ground cable to the clamp was much smaller than the lug opening on the end of the cable. It did provide the ground when the seller demonstrated the welder for me, but it still needs to be cleaned up.

20220207_152841.jpg

That's it for today, thank you for following along! Have a great night!