WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mini 10' Schiada motor selection

boat880

Reaction score
I just bought a mini Schiada and I'm looking to do a few upgrades. It currently has a 30hp Tohatsu 2-stroke. I'd love to put a 40 or 50 hp Tohatsu 4-stroke on it. I read somewhere I should stick with an engine below 165 lbs. Is this correct? If not, could this boat handle a 209 lb engine?

The previous owner told me that I should be looking for an engine with power trim and tilt. Do you agree with this? It seems every motor one I find with power trim and tilt is at least 185 lbs which may exceed my weight limit. Can you recommend an engine with power trim and tilt which would work well on my boat?

I also see transom plates advertised which suggest they have trim and tilt capability. Is anyone familiar with these?

Another question is whether the engine should be short shaft (15") or long shaft (20"). The engine I have measures roughly 18" and is mounted about 2" high on the transom. The transom is about 17". I'm guessing I should be looking at a long shaft engine. Is that correct?

Lastly is a question about props. From reading the various threads, it appear that a round ear prop under 11" and say 15" pitch would be a good starting point. I'd appreciate a recommendation for my current engine as well as what you all think might be my logical choice for an upgrade.

I thank-you in advance for your advice and recommendations.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Yes you don’t wanna go heavier than 165ish. The Tohatsu 40 3cyl is about the most you can do on the 10 footers, and you definitely wanna stick with the short shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m surprised with all the money that goes into schiadas that no one has done a custom motor. Like one of those aluminum motors the stand up guys use.

boat880

Reaction score
SFV2RVR, thanks for the advice. If I do not go with power trim/tilt, will Bennett tabs get me up on a plane in a reasonable amount of time? Also, if anyone has a good Tohatsu 40 3 cylinder, shoot me a PM. By the way, I'm located in Norcal.

sir.woody

Reaction score
I’m sad to say but I just sold a 40hp Nissan 3cyl for cheap like 6 days ago it the same exact thing as the tohatsu. Bought it 2 years ago and my Mini has been on the stand the whole time waiting for fiberglass work in my garage. I’m gonna pickup a older 40hp Mercury and put some money into it.

boat880

Reaction score
Sir Woody, good luck on your build. My mini is running with a 30hp tohatsu. It has a difficult time getting on a plane and tops out about 30mph. I'll be adding self adjusting tabs to see if that helps. At the moment I'm torn between a late model 30hp 4-stroke with power trim and tilt. Probably make for a 30-35 boat. The other extreme is a 40 or 50hp 2-stroke under 165 lbs. Then I assume I'll be up in the 40 mile an hour range. Too bad I missed out on your engine.

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
I jus missed out on one couple weeks ago in Walnut Creek. Guy was coming from Clearlake
Was waiting on the phone call to come and get it !!!!

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
SFV2RVR, thanks for the advice. If I do not go with power trim/tilt, will Bennett tabs get me up on a plane in a reasonable amount of time? Also, if anyone has a good Tohatsu 40 3 cylinder, shoot me a PM. By the way, I'm located in Norcal.

Not sure about the tabs. Never tried them before. I might have a set of tabs for a 10’ that I never used at my place in Parker.

rivergames

Reaction score
I have trim on mine and wouldn't build another without! It makes a huge difference to get rid of the porpoising. I also have to spring loaded tabs that help. I cut the springs down for less pressure.

I have a Tohatsu 40 and Nissan 40, both 2 cylinder 2 strokes. I wouldn't put anything with more weight than a 3 cylinder 40 2 stroke.

I mounted my gas tank up under the deck to help as well (which is does).

Here is the rebuild of my mini years back. Hope some of the info helps
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/the-dime-piece.44931/

boat880

Reaction score
Great Info Tom. Thank you! The guy I bought the boat from told me he tried a 5" set back but it didn't work for him. So I've temporarily abandoned that idea. Any suggestions for prop size?

boat880

Reaction score
I have this on mine and it works awesome. Easy to install too. Depending on the motor you get, this will a good option for power trim. Good luck on the motor search. Post a pic of the 10'er you got.

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collec...ducts/cmc-pt-35-tilt-and-trim-for-up-to-35-hp

I'm now thinking your suggestion for the CMC tilt/trim bracket may be my best option. My only concern is that it would limit my motor to 30hp. Are you running a 30 hp motor? If so could you let me know what you have, top speed and prop size. This would really help me dial in what I want to do next and probably save me some money too! Also, do you run Bennett or Smart tabs or does the CMC tilt trim take away the need for tabs? I really appreciate whatever info you can provide.

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
I'm now thinking your suggestion for the CMC tilt/trim bracket may be my best option. My only concern is that it would limit my motor to 30hp. Are you running a 30 hp motor? If so could you let me know what you have, top speed and prop size. This would really help me dial in what I want to do next and probably save me some money too! Also, do you run Bennett or Smart tabs or does the CMC tilt trim take away the need for tabs? I really appreciate whatever info you can provide.

I only have a 2002 Mercury 25HP motor on mine. I bought it and it was tough to get on plane. The CMC tilt/trim makes a world of difference. Can trim it in to get on plane and then trim it out to loosen it up. If your motor doesn't have power trim, then the CMC unit is a must. The boat is in Parker and I don't recall the prop size off the top of my head. By myself it will run high 30's. I've hit 41 with a strong current, ha ha. So obviously it isn't as fast as some of the ones that have 3 cylinder motors. But we can squeeze me, my Wife, and two kids (8 and 6) in it and still get on plane (typically have to lean on the bow) and then once on plane it works great. Not the most comfortable but we all love it anyway. I don't have any tabs, the power trim solves that but it would probably help us get on plane when there are two adults in it. As stated before, these things are so weight sensitive. My 6 gallon tank is in the back under the well. If I ever rerig it, I would put it under the bow for sure.