WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mini - Split AC

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
What's the best and cheapest mini-split ac system for garage ? I was thinking 24k BTU ? They all seem to be made in China . What about Mr Cool ? They come pre-charged. Is Amazon / E bay the best place to get one ?

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I bought a York and installed it in a trailer I had. Worked amazing! I think they are being made in Mexico though.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The saying you get what you pay for is relevant here. No repair parts for cheap units.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
If harbor freight doesn't carry any then ebay is definitely where you want to get it. 😉

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Call Carrie, he can install the high dollar ones or the cheapo MR. cools, we did a 4 ton MR cool in our storage condo but used 3 Mitsubishi’s in our garages at home.

DLC

Reaction score
get the one boat pi posted - Daikin

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
This is what I got, it is flawless, now three friends in Vegas got the same. 24,000 BTU Daikin 17 SEER Mini Split Inverter Heat Pump Set 230V | eBay
[/QUOT
This is what I got, it is flawless, now three friends in Vegas got the same. 24,000 BTU Daikin 17 SEER Mini Split Inverter Heat Pump Set 230V | eBay

Is this a DIY? I would rather have it professionally installed, but can't get any companies out here to even return a call.

Is the Mr. Cool units junk?

On a side note: Here in the mid west we get a lot of humidity. Would adding a separate dehumidifier to the shop help with the cooling?

boatpi

Reaction score
Have a pro do it, needs to be pumped down and a correct charge. Running in my Vegas garage now, maintains 77 degrees in the Summer.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Have a pro do it, needs to be pumped down and a correct charge. Running in my Vegas garage now, maintains 77 degrees in the Summer.

Thanks, but like I said I can't get anyone to return my call. Maybe I shouldn't tell them it is for a mini split install on the voice mail.

charlyox

Reaction score
Remember, you get what you pay for. Going cheap isn’t always the cheapest way to go.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’ve had a pioneer unit in my office for 5 years now.. excellent.

Turnup

Reaction score
Thanks, but like I said I can't get anyone to return my call. Maybe I shouldn't tell them it is for a mini split install on the voice mail.
Exactly this. Everyone is ridic right now so to call back on a 3k mini job or go for the 15k job. Your almost better off educating yourself, read up, watch YouTube vids, figure out which one you want and buy it on Amazon. Start mounting things here and there, do as much as you can, then get a tech on the phone live and tell them you just need a quick pump and charge job. It's a pretty easy install minus that stuff.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I am not trying to go “cheap”. I want a quality system. I have know problem installing myself. I just not sure how good the DIY systems are. I may try what turnip is suggesting.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
As a simple option those big Motel style through the wall units are easy to put in and also do heat if you need it. PTAC units, I think they are called.

This AMANA one is $860 for 14,700 btu. I don't know how much it costs to run, but they are easy to install.

Amana PTC153G35AXXX

240Hallett

Reaction score
As a simple option those big Motel style through the wall units are easy to put in and also do heat if you need it. PTAC units, I think they are called.

This AMANA one is $860 for 14,700 btu. I don't know how much it costs to run, but they are easy to install.

Amana PTC153G35AXXX

How many BTUs are needed per cubic/square foot?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The Internet says:
The Rules for Keeping Cool
As a rule of thumb, an air conditioner needs 20 Btu for each square foot of living space. But other considerations, such as the ceiling height and the size of your windows and doorways, might call for more cooling power

So maybe more that 20 if it is a big garage or in a hot location. At 20 per sf then a 14,000 unit should do a 600 sf garage.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas about the dehumidifier? My reasoning behind that is for when I am not using the shop. If the dehumidifier is running through the night would it make it easier/quicker to cool down in the morning when I want to work in the shop?

Another question. Would it be better to have 2- 12k systems. 1 on each side of the shop? Would it even out the cooling for a large space?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas about the dehumidifier? My reasoning behind that is for when I am not using the shop. If the dehumidifier is running through the night would it make it easier/quicker to cool down in the morning when I want to work in the shop?

Another question. Would it be better to have 2- 12k systems. 1 on each side of the shop? Would it even out the cooling for a large space?

I'd do 2 12k systems if it were me. The smaller units like a 1 ton are very very efficient and have seer ratings into the 30's. Also you can run them independently as demand is needed. Typically I run my 1.5 ton unit which has a 25.4 seer rating when I'm not home set at 88 degrees and turn the 2.5 ton (16 seer) unit off. That 1.5 ton unit keeps the garage about 90 in the hottest of days, more importantly directly over where my boat is. I just like it so my interior doesn't rot out in 120 degree heat during the summer.

The mini split units will work as a dehumidifier, so it will definitely make the work easier and quicker to cool down as one of the functions is to remove moisture. The less moisture in the air the unit has less work to do. The more moisture the harder the unit has to work.

Boat 405

Reaction score

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Can I throw a stupid question out: what are you guys doing to seal the gaps around the garage door(s)? I have no window or exterior door (just the door into the house), but the garage doors are not exactly sealed at sides near concrete. The doors are insulated.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
LG dual inverter window mount is what I’m installing. 22k btu for 699 at Home Depot and look at that energy bill
732C342B-64B4-493A-B6E9-EB65B28317CE.png

joecfd1

Reaction score
I purchased this unit last year and installed it myself. I had to buy a small vacuum pump and gauge set to evac the line set but wasn't a big deal.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I had Carey install a 3 Ton Mitsubishi unit in garage, very happy . Didn’t know he was sick , him and his Son did the install , both very nice / personable guys .
2467C94C-4585-409E-9542-0AA50CFABE9D.jpeg

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I bought a York off of OfferUp for $550. It was made in Mexico and I bought it from a middle eastern AC guy in El Cajon. He said he buys a container full of them at the beginning of the year and sells them all by the end of summer. It was an easy install and worked great. I since sold the trailer and the new buyer to this day absolutely loves it and recommends them to everyone. Mine wasn't 24k, but I'm sure they have them. I would probably try Carrier on my next one.

2Driver

Reaction score
I have a question of distance between condenser and compressor.

The current AC relic ( 40 year old Fedders unit) in my garage has the compressor 40’ away from the blower condenser unit.

Can a mini split be seperated that far apart?

I watched “this old house” and they installed the blower up stairs and ran the lines down to the basement across the house then outside. I figure that was at least 35’

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'd do 2 12k systems if it were me. The smaller units like a 1 ton are very very efficient and have seer ratings into the 30's. Also you can run them independently as demand is needed. Typically I run my 1.5 ton unit which has a 25.4 seer rating when I'm not home set at 88 degrees and turn the 2.5 ton (16 seer) unit off. That 1.5 ton unit keeps the garage about 90 in the hottest of days, more importantly directly over where my boat is. I just like it so my interior doesn't rot out in 120 degree heat during the summer.

The mini split units will work as a dehumidifier, so it will definitely make the work easier and quicker to cool down as one of the functions is to remove moisture. The less moisture in the air the unit has less work to do. The more moisture the harder the unit has to work.

Most dehumidification systems are just A/C with added systems to temper the air. That is until you go to very large spaces where they will have dedicated dehumidification air handlers that have very large desiccant wheels to passively remove moisture. Most Mini splits have a dehumidification setting as well.

Not quite in topic, but it is a mini split! Saw this when I was camping in Colorado a couple weeks ago. Guy said it worked awesome. Not quite the look I’m going for with a big dollar bus but to each his own.

View attachment 1030838 View attachment 1030838
I would not trust a mini split in a mobile application for extended life. These systems are packed in there and are not designed for vibration mitigation originating from somewhere other than the minimal vibrations coming from the compressor.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

The current AC relic ( 40 year old Fedders unit) in my garage has the compressor 40’ away from the blower condenser unit.

I watched “this old house” and they installed the blower up stairs and ran the lines down to the basement across the house then outside. I figure that was at least 35’
Different systems have different line length limitations. Usually Mitsubishi tends to have the longest limits to line length. Most all have no issue up to 50 feet or so.

cofooter

Reaction score
I just put in a Mr Cool dual zone 27K unit. Works awesome and really easy to install myself. Super quiet and cold. < $2500 with everything. I have only heard good things about them, but will let you guys know if it craps out..........

Last edited:

Boat 405

Reaction score
Not quite in topic, but it is a mini split! Saw this when I was camping in Colorado a couple weeks ago. Guy said it worked awesome. Not quite the look I’m going for with a big dollar bus but to each his own.

View attachment 1030838 View attachment 1030838
Looks like a 2 zone unit. I bet it works killer. The problem with most RV's is the shitty air roof top air conditioning. I bet he has plenty of generator/solar panels and inverter by the looks of it and the mini splits are just some much quieter to run than the roof top a/c units. Kind of an eye sore, but function is key if he is off grid for long times.

Judging by the panels on the roof I bet he has a big enough inverter to run it on batteries. Couldn't do that with a roof top a/c

Boat 405

Reaction score

50' line set no problem with most. Some as much as 75'. Generally they will say in the instructions how long of line set max

2Driver

Reaction score
The guy that quoted me said 10'. He was trying to find a place in my outside entrance way to put it.

Lazy ass just didn't want to trench. Quoted $6K for a 400 Sq ft room I think it was an LG. Electrical and drains are in place from old unit.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I purchased this unit last year and installed it myself. I had to buy a small vacuum pump and gauge set to evac the line set but wasn't a big deal.

There is a dual head Gree at the cabin in WA..works fine in terms of AC. Heating its one head or the other...if you try both it errors and shuts down. 2 different ac guys couldn't figure it out. Idk if its just something with this unit or that brand.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The guy that quoted me said 10'. He was trying to find a place in my outside entrance way to put it.

Lazy ass just didn't want to trench. Quoted $6K for a 400 Sq ft room I think it was an LG. Electrical and drains are in place from old unit.
Most require a 15' minimum lineset before adjustments to the factory charge are required.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There is a dual head Gree at the cabin in WA..works fine in terms of AC. Heating its one head or the other...if you try both it errors and shuts down. 2 different ac guys couldn't figure it out. Idk if its just something with this unit or that brand.
My money would be a charge issue. Was likely never charged correctly from the start.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
My money would be a charge issue. Was likely never charged correctly from the start.

Pre-existing unit from when they bought the cabin last year. I don't think anyone is going back there until maybe December, ill toss that on my list to check.

joecfd1

Reaction score
Honestly, I havent tried the heater yet...

2Driver

Reaction score
Most require a 15' minimum lineset before adjustments to the factory charge are required.

Thanks, I need to bite the bullet and upgrade.

Meanwhile my 40 year old Fedders unit continues to make a 20 degree differential.

Kbach

Reaction score
Looks like a 2 zone unit. I bet it works killer. The problem with most RV's is the shitty air roof top air conditioning. I bet he has plenty of generator/solar panels and inverter by the looks of it and the mini splits are just some much quieter to run than the roof top a/c units. Kind of an eye sore, but function is key if he is off grid for long times.

Judging by the panels on the roof I bet he has a big enough inverter to run it on batteries. Couldn't do that with a roof top a/c

Yep, basically what you said. Shit ton of solar and inverters along with lithium batt banks so he can run it off the sun for weeks at a time. Guy was super nice, out of Vegas. When we saw him he was headed to Moab, where we were the day before and it was 106. He was planning on staying at a BLM campsite w/o hookups and didn’t bat an eye when I said how hot it had been. I was at a site with hookups in Moab, running 2 15k units nonstop during the day in my 40’ pusher and was only able to keep it at 79/80 during the heat of the day.

I tried going to the site he had listed on his rig but it wasn’t any good. Kinda wish I got his contact info, would have liked to pick his brain a little more.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

100 feet for most iirc, they actually dont like having too short of a line set from memory. But the minimum was like 10'

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I did the Hessair from Home Depot in my garage as well have done three others for buddy’s this year all using the 18,000btu system.
I call it the greatest worst thing I’ve done to my house. As it’s amazing working in garage at 75° but I’ve became a tyrant about keeping the doors shut now, and having 2” behind and less than one in front of my boat in the garage it’s a real pain getting to and from my tools etc.
I’m on solar and this summer shows to be a bit hotter than last year and here two months i. It’s not costing me crap for power to run it.
i also insulated all three garage does at the same time FYI so I’m sure that helped a ton.

Attachments

• FDC46622-8D91-4FF4-8374-3AD8C9865EEF.jpeg
    FDC46622-8D91-4FF4-8374-3AD8C9865EEF.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 120