WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mini split reco for garage conversion

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
After 6 months of jumping thru hoops, permits have finally been approved and we’re converting our garage into a unit for my in-laws.

Looking for recos on a ductless mini split setup with two heads - one for the bedroom, one for the living area.

Total square footage is around 700.
Any insight into this plan would be awesome, including what specs I should be looking at for this project.

I have access to 110 or 220, I’m assuming 220 is best.

Plans are below so you can see the layout.
E3310390-D2E6-478E-B5EF-B9056EBDC06A.jpeg

pronstar

Reaction score
If you are buying your own parts look at Mitsubishi. I have 3 of them and they run flawlessly.

Yeah I’ve been leaning toward them.
Unsure what specs I need…how many BTU?

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score
Looking like 18k BTUbia what I need. Now to figure out where to buy…

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
First find out what your local trustworthy AC guy services, you don't want to be scrambling IF there is an issue. They are pretty bulletproof but occasionally a sensor or something can fail and you want one that your tech is familiar with and has parts for 👍.

I have fujitsus for going on 7 years now. Had one sensor fail on the outdoor unit about 2 years in. Other than that flawless.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I have installed four Mitsubishi units myself. The one in my house has two head units and works great. Go online to E Comfort, I have purchased all of them there. They have everything needed for the install. They carry many brands also Dakin etc. I have stuck with Mitsubishi as I had good luck with the first one.

pronstar

Reaction score
I have installed four Mitsubishi units myself. The one in my house has two head units and works great. Go online to E Comfort, I have purchased all of them there. They have everything needed for the install. They carry many brands also Dakin etc. I have stuck with Mitsubishi as I had good luck with the first one.
I saw the unit below at Home Depot…thanks for the E Comfort reco, I’ll check them out.
View attachment 1174871

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I just saw that exact same one…great minds think alike
The problem I found with Home Depot, Lowes etc. is that they wanted to sell the unit through one of their installers. The price of the installed product was no where near the low sales price. By the time they add in line sets, electrical disconnects, through wall fittings, condensation drain tubes, line set covers etc. you could purchase a name brand from a local HVAC dealer.

pronstar

Reaction score
Mitsubishi units are pricey!

How do y’all think these compare to the Home Depot unit posted above?

11AD7A0B-8685-4957-B52D-5E600EFF1D29.png

pronstar

Reaction score
The problem I found with Home Depot, Lowes etc. is that they wanted to sell the unit through one of their installers. The price of the installed product was no where near the low sales price. By the time they add in line sets, electrical disconnects, through wall fittings, condensation drain tubes, line set covers etc. you could purchase a name brand from a local HVAC dealer.
Got it, thanks.
My contractor is licensed for AC so I’m trying to save a few bucks of markup by buying it myself.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We have been installing a BUNCH of Samsung equipment lately. I am very impressed with them. Is it very humid where you are in Texas? If it is, I'd say go 24k with 2 12k head units and if it's not, probably 18k with 2 9k heads. Try to locate the heads on an exterior wall so the drains can go right out through the wall. You do NOT want to have to install a condensate pump. They are garbage or you have a giant pump which is ugly as sin in a house.

pronstar

Reaction score
We have been installing a BUNCH of Samsung equipment lately. I am very impressed with them. Is it very humid where you are in Texas? If it is, I'd say go 24k with 2 12k head units and if it's not, probably 18k with 2 9k heads. Try to locate the heads on an exterior wall so the drains can go right out through the wall. You do NOT want to have to install a condensate pump. They are garbage or you have a giant pump which is ugly as sin in a house.
Samsung owns the company I work for, and sadly I don’t get employee discounts on minisplits . I
’m not really seeing the brand for sale at the box stores or E Comfort website…?

hallett21

Reaction score
Our HVAC subs have told us Daikin is the best but not the cheapest.

I’ve done a few Daikin kit installs on really small projects. You can order through Amazon.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Samsung owns the company I work for, and sadly I don’t get employee discounts on minisplits . I
’m not really seeing the brand for sale at the box stores or E Comfort website…?
I haven't looked to see of they are available to the public anywhere, but just for a reference, a 2 ton ductless Samsung system costs me about 60% LESS than the comparable Mitsubishi system and about 40 to 50% less than Daikin.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
After 6 months of jumping thru hoops, permits have finally been approved and we’re converting our garage into a unit for my in-laws.

Looking for recos on a ductless mini split setup with two heads - one for the bedroom, one for the living area.

Total square footage is around 700.
Any insight into this plan would be awesome, including what specs I should be looking at for this project.

I have access to 110 or 220, I’m assuming 220 is best.

Plans are below so you can see the layout.
View attachment 1174783

Assuming you have 8’ ceilings and decent insulation.

You will need 7k head for the bed room and and an 18k head. For the large room.

This is slightly over sizing for those peak ambient heat/cold conditions.

This set up you will need a 24k outdoor unit.

Brands in order of manufacturers quality.
**the quality of product doesn’t mean shit compared to quality of install**

1- daikin
2-Mitsubishi.
3-gree made product. (Most of what’s out there with whatever “brand name printed on there)
4-midea made product. (Most Low end product t out there)

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
I changed out my Daikin heat pump in the shop office due to problems with the factory brazing of the evaporator coils causing leaks randomly after 3 years. Replaced with a Pioneer purchased at HD. No problems so far.

boatpi

Reaction score
I have a 24K BTU Dakin single fan unit, 3 years in garage, zero issues

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Yes, I was surprised that my Daikin failed. Definitely a factory defect.

pronstar

Reaction score

1- daikin
2-Mitsubishi.
3-gree made product. (Most of what’s out there with whatever “brand name printed on there)

Exactly the info I was looking for thanks. Bildo

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

1- daikin
2-Mitsubishi.
I didn't even look at his square footages. Lol! Work mode was turned off.

Have you guys used any Samsungs at all? The only draw back I've seen to them is that they require a 16/2 shielded Communication wire from indoor to outdoor. Otherwise, great units

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't even look at his square footages. Lol! Work mode was turned off.

Have you guys used any Samsungs at all? The only draw back I've seen to them is that they require a 16/2 shielded Communication wire from indoor to outdoor. Otherwise, great units
We used to use them a while ago. Only issue I had was they consistently change distributors and when stuff brim it was aka way an issue.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
You got lots of suggestions and I can’t add any to them.

I am curious why you don’t move the bathroom door to the other side making it closer to the Best regards, door or, put the door opening inside the BR and go with a pocket door? I know they’ll be the only ones in the space so just my suggestions

pronstar

Reaction score
You got lots of suggestions and I can’t add any to them.

I am curious why you don’t move the bathroom door to the other side making it closer to the Best regards, door or, put the door opening inside the BR and go with a pocket door? I know they’ll be the only ones in the space so just my suggestions

In-laws are paying for construction so they approved the plans.

I would have done the layout much differently.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
We have 3-9k on a 24 and a 18 and 9 on a 24. 18 is in my 18*19 living room along with the 9k for kitchen. Set up is great, cools it down quickly. All are Daiken.

pronstar

Reaction score
Last question:
Where should the head in the main living area be located?
That L-shaped bend seems like a slight challenge to me…

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

I bought mine last summer directly through HD on sale for the advertised price.

It was painless. Showed up at the store and picked up the unit and did the install work myself

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I bought mine last summer directly through HD on sale for the advertised price.

It was painless. Showed up at the store and picked up the unit and did the install work myself

When I tried a five years ago, they would let me buy the unit, but insisted that a licensed HVAC contractor take delivery. So instead of buying local in Havasu I purchased from E comfort on line. Just my Home Depot experience.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
When I tried a five years ago, they would let me buy the unit, but insisted that a licensed HVAC contractor take delivery. So instead of buying local in Havasu I purchased from E comfort on line. Just my Home Depot experience.

I could see them wanting to package the unit with their install contractor.

Definitely more flexibility today.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I haven’t had good luck with Home Depot installers. Not enough experienced staff.

Sharpy

Reaction score
Here’s the setup we’re gonna go with 👍

View attachment 1175091
Don't forget the line sets. I just did one for my Shop-dominium and thought I got a great deal online until I received my equipment and they were missing. Actually cost me more $$ in the long run VS HD/Lowes setups which included everything. :mad:

pronstar

Reaction score
Ok so plans have changed...

Since my downstairs R410a unit is over 15 years old and literally on it’s last legs,
we’re gonna replace it with a larger system, with damper for the garage so they can have some independent temp control.

Details:
5 ton
heat pump
19 seer
variable speed

I’ll be Into this setup for $14k.

We’re money ahead compared to installing a mini split for the garage and upgrading our old R410a unit.

And my summertime $800 power bill to maintain 82 degrees indoors should be over.