WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Minimum wage my ass.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So my wife is picking up dinner and she sends me this.

Decent living for a kid effing off at a fast food job.
26B5FF33-51B9-4CF9-8E75-EDF30BDDFA35.jpeg

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
My first job was all All American Home Center in Downey, I was 16 but lied about my age because you had to be at least 17 to work there, even was able to fake my work permit thanks to a friend who worked in the office at school. I believe it was $3.25 an hour but I loved working there, who would have figured I would still be working in Hardware.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
My first job was all All American Home Center in Downey, I was 16 but lied about my age because you had to be at least 17 to work there, even was able to fake my work permit thanks to a friend who worked in the office at school. I believe it was $3.25 an hour but I loved working there, who would have figured I would still be working in Hardware.

I lived down the street from All American, used to go all the time as a kid and adult. Grew up in Downey

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I lived down the street from All American, used to go all the time as a kid and adult. Grew up in Downey
I lived closer to Pico Rivera but my older brother lived in Downey so we used his address so I could go to Warren High, this was from 1975 to around 1978 before we moved to the High Desert. Great place to work for sure, sucks they ended up closing.

nowski

Reaction score
I think an old buddy of mine worked there back in the day, does Ted Johnson ring a bell?

530RL

Reaction score
In 1978 minimum wage was 2.65 an hour.

I took a commission gig selling glow in the dark necklaces at a double header Rick James concert at the Arizona State Fair. I paid .75 cents for them and sold them for a buck. I sold just over 2,000 necklaces over 6 hours.

The next night, a Sunday was Lawrence Welk and I think I sold 10.

I was hooked on capitalism and learned the most valuable business lesson in my life in two short days.

nowski

Reaction score
I started keeping score at the bowling alley's (late 60's) when I was 9, it was about $2.50 an hour after tips. PBA came to town so I signed up to keep score for the tournament. They said no way when this little kid stepped up to the plate. The house backed me and was given the opportunity to keep score for the tournament. I kept score for Dave Frame when he rolled a 300, pretty cool for a young kid...

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
First job was a bus boy/dish washer at Mike's Pizza in Mission Hills, CA. I don't remember the starting pay but I stayed long enough to eventually be the manager before moving on to the Mike's Pizza in Van Nuys.

boatnam2

Reaction score
First gig was $2.75 at KFC, i use to leave work every night with a least two buckets of chicken, tatters and all the fixings. i would head over to my girlfriends apartment, many single moms trying to raise a family on a single income, i was like the robinhood of chicken.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
So my wife is picking up dinner and she sends me this.

Decent living for a kid effing off at a fast food job. View attachment 985319
It is hard for employers these days to get anyone to work for even those inflated wages when the Feds keep pumping people with $400 per week unemployment checks to sit on their ass all day.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
It is hard for employers these days to get anyone to work for even those inflated wages when the Feds keep pumping people with $400 per week unemployment checks to sit on their ass all day.

Ahem! Excuse me, but my supplemental amount was $600 a week.
But before you guys lynch me, in my defense I got zero stimulus money!

I do know guys that worked 1099 with an LLC (most Directional hands have an LLC) that got $85K “loans” that are soon coming due. Most of them fucked off the cash and got lazy, and now are puckered all up.

Taboma

Reaction score
Ain't like when I was a kid washing dishes at Casa De Pizza or slinging hot dogs at Dannys Dogs

Seems the fast food workers are no longer kids.... comprende?

Oh, you must be talking about MacDonald's and a few other FF places in Kingman 😂

C-2

Reaction score
$2 hr, 2 hours per day at age 14 in 1980 scrubbing used dough pans at a Graziano's pizza restaurant. But hey, it got my foot into the door and soon I was making sandwiches for the big time minimum wage of $3.35.

The deal with pizza - it really hasn't gone up in price. Back then I thought you had to be rich to afford a $15.00 pizza, lol.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score

I loved All American. I was a customer of theirs since they were in the small shop on Firestone close to Downey ave. When they moved to big location down the street they were one of the biggest home centers around at the time. The employees all knew me by name. Like you guys, I grew up in Downey, went to Alameda elementary, South junior high and Downey high school. My wife went to Downey high for one year then they moved and she finished out school @ Warren.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My first job was at Lightfoots garage organizing and being a scrub for $5 a hour. Was across the street yesterday and looks like he could use another to fill that position. Shop was a mess compared. I did have a side hustle making a few grand a week.

sirbob

Reaction score
My first job was buying our neighbors tractor and mowing lawns for $5 a yard.

I could do about 2 an hour so I guess. I was making 10 an hour - but I had to pay $50 a month for the tractor!

The first summer went so well, I bought a snow plow for it and plowed driveways at night after school.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I mowed lawns...had about 6 regular customers up and down my street. $10 for the front and $10 for the back. $120/week for about an hour/day after school starting when I was big enough to pullstart the mower on my own. When I moved to Mammoth in 6th grade I shoveled snow...we lived in a Mobile home park that first winter and it snowed like a bitch that year...the mobiles could only handle about 4' of snow on the roofs before the park would come out and shovel for you, charging $300 for a double wide, $200 for a single wide. I did them for $200/$100 and kept busy just about every night. $100/day wasn't bad for a 12yo kid working after school.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
My first job was splitting time between a mechanic shop and engine builder when I was 16 over the summer, then spent a summer at minimum wage at Carls Jr, and then friends finally got me into In N Out. That was my high school AND college job. In N Out proves two things, you can pay a way higher wage than current minimum wage and be profitable, however, the quality of people and the production they expect out of each person will be entirely different than the staff at most of these places.

Minimum wage was 4.75 when i started, I started at 7.25 I think, that was raised to around 10 bucks within my first year, and up from there. You show up for your shift 20 minutes before it starts, and you actually start work 10 minutes before you are on the clock helping to transition. You bust your ass all day, take care of shit before being told to, and help your coworkers out no matter what, all shift. If you didn't like the full throttle work environment, 200 other kids wanted your job. My stores never posted a wanted sign, you go to the file of referrals if a new hire is needed.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
My first job was splitting time between a mechanic shop and engine builder when I was 16 over the summer, then spent a summer at minimum wage at Carls Jr, and then friends finally got me into In N Out. That was my high school AND college job. In N Out proves two things, you can pay a way higher wage than current minimum wage and be profitable, however, the quality of people and the production they expect out of each person will be entirely different than the staff at most of these places.

Minimum wage was 4.75 when i started, I started at 7.25 I think, that was raised to around 10 bucks within my first year, and up from there. You show up for your shift 20 minutes before it starts, and you actually start work 10 minutes before you are on the clock helping to transition. You bust your ass all day, take care of shit before being told to, and help your coworkers out no matter what, all shift. If you didn't like the full throttle work environment, 200 other kids wanted your job. My stores never posted a wanted sign, you go to the file of referrals if a new hire is needed.
There is a new IN N Out being built by my house in Yorba Linda on Imperial Hwy. Sign on the fence says $16-$18 a hour. 👍

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
There is a new IN N Out being built by my house in Yorba Linda on Imperial Hwy. Sign on the fence says $16-$18 a hour. 👍

My old neck of the woods, did they end up with the library site or is it in all that new development area, the old real estate and Pancake house/Kookooroo area?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Knew the place well, you were checking out of Warren about my sophomore year. Grew up on Wiley-Burke behind Furman park.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
My old neck of the woods, did they end up with the library site or is it in all that new development area, the old real estate and Pancake house/Kookooroo area?
Library site. Looks like they are going to tear down the old Pancake building and build something new.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
My first job was for $4.25 per hour in 1979 at Main Photo Service in Santa Ana when I was 15. I grew up in Irvine and it would take 2 busses to get there and 2 to get home. Originally, I was the janitor then moved to black and white printing. The other guys would leave me all the crap orders and the Highway Patrol work.

Fast forward 30 years and my company bought them out.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
First job was a lifeguard at Hurricane Harbor. Made $8.25/hour and thought I was a baller........lol. Did work 48hr weeks during the summer while all my friends screwed off. Got to screw another lifeguard a few times in the parking lot and had a couple G's in my bank account when going back to school in the fall.

Flippindough

Reaction score
Why would you want to work when you can collect $600 a week from unemployment? Grooming our future! 18 months ago we had a line for Maintenace techs for apartment buildings at $16 an hour, $22 hour now absolute crickets.

Cdog

Reaction score
You call that food?

Gross!!

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Ahem! Excuse me, but my supplemental amount was $600 a week.
But before you guys lynch me, in my defense I got zero stimulus money!

I do know guys that worked 1099 with an LLC (most Directional hands have an LLC) that got $85K “loans” that are soon coming due. Most of them fucked off the cash and got lazy, and now are puckered all up.

can they File on these Loans? They are Playing with "FIRE"

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Knew the place well, you were checking out of Warren about my sophomore year. Grew up on Wiley-Burke behind Furman park.

spencer Williams, west middle, warren high 92. I’ve run into sooo many people that grew up in Downey. Great place back in the day

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
$3.75 an hour doing grunt farm labor at about 12.....
Didn't really figure out the money making thing until after College. There were better and easier ways to make a living.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
It helps to pay the lowest paid more: in the economic terms, "a rising tide lifts all boats".

If you can artificially add more water and there is no downside, then why not?

Jay Dub

Reaction score
In jr high I started mowing yards. Pulled the mower with my bike around the neighborhood. In high school I started working part-time at a independent car dealership that sold MB, Porsche etc. I was the grunt. Parts and tool fetcher. P/U and deliver vehicles. By the end, I was changing oil, doing brakes. After closing we could work on our own cars. All for about $5 an hour pay. During high school I also had about 4-5 yards I kept up on a weekly basis. This paid much better than the dealer. probably made $500 a month cash when you add in odd ball plantings/trimmings.