WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mission accomplished, now what?

stoker

Reaction score
3F6919E9-E770-4E68-A03E-A5C10585168E.jpeg

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Climb it? :dunno

stoker

Reaction score
Kinda dick head responses. I thought this was a boating site where you share your boating experiences. I guess I was wrong moving on.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Living the life. I never cared about cruising the ocean. But as I'm getting more and more tired of people I could sure see myself doing your same trip sooner than later. Bad ass trip for sure.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Can you sail around Manhattan? That'd be badass!

stoker

Reaction score
Are you boating it, or are you drivin' your shoes?

Boating that area can be kind of fun.

Boating. We left ca 2 years ago and just arrived in NY. It’s the furthest north we will be going. Our next major destination will be the Bahamas. After that the boat goes up for sale in Florida and we go home to Komofornia.

stoker

Reaction score
Living the life. I never cared about cruising the ocean. But as I'm getting more and more tired of people I could sure see myself doing your same trip sooner than later. Bad ass trip for sure.

It’s funny you say that. I don’t deal with anybody myself. My wife does all the checking in to our various destinations while I stay on the boat. I let her cruise the marinas and meet people we might have something in common with. Usually cruisers like us or just down to earth good people. I used to be one of those people who couldn’t be without a cell phone and having to deal assholes on a regular basis.
It’s going to be tough having to readjust to that lifestyle next year when I rejoin the workforce.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Kinda dick head responses. I thought this was a boating site where you share your boating experiences. I guess I was wrong moving on.

Sorry, did not understand where you were going with the thread. I never intend to offend but find I am very successful.

stoker

Reaction score
One of the coolest things about our travels is we have met the most amazing people throughout our 2years and 7 countries. But I guess that is to be expected when the people we meet are living the boater lifestyle like us. We are not wealthy by any means nor are many of the people we meet. You would be amazed by how many people we have talked to who can do what we do on $1500.00 a month

Taboma

Reaction score
View attachment 679281

Tons of sailboats. Manhattan is really cool. We found an awesome anchorage and will be taking the train into the city tomorrow.

In the late 60's did a lot of power and sail boating out near the end of Long Island, but never near NYC.
So I take it you've been as far north as you wanted and now starting to work your way south again. Didn't seem all that long ago and you were heading north via Dismal Swamp.
With so much to see up north any particular reason you're starting south so soon ? How far north did you get ?

Universal Elements

Reaction score

stoker

Reaction score
In the late 60's did a lot of power and sail boating out near the end of Long Island, but never near NYC.
So I take it you've been as far north as you wanted and now starting to work your way south again. Didn't seem all that long ago and you were heading north via Dismal Swamp.
With so much to see up north any particular reason you're starting south so soon ? How far north did you get ?

We are currently in Port Washington up the East River. We were going to try to go to thousand islands Canada but it’s to late in the season. All the cruisers have already headed south. I started a thread about our adeventures from San Diego but only got as far as Costa Rica. We have been real busy but I will update it shortly. You can see it here if you are interested.
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/for...rough-the-panama-canal-and-beyond-s-a.186711/

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
One of the coolest things about our travels is we have met the most amazing people throughout our 2years and 7 countries. But I guess that is to be expected when the people we meet are living the boater lifestyle like us. We are not wealthy by any means nor are many of the people we meet. You would be amazed by how many people we have talked to who can do what we do on $1500.00 a month

My cousin her husband built a boat in Chico back 30 years ago. Then traveled the world in it for years. Sounded like an incredible trips in placed that I have dreamed of visiting. Finding work where ever they stopped and needed money. Sadly the travels came to an end when they were in a South Pacific storm in the middle of the night and he was swept over board never to be found. Enjoy the rest of time that you have on your boat.

stoker

Reaction score
What brand boat are cruzin around in? Formula..????

I used to have a Magic Sorcerer 34. The furthest I took that was from Newport to Ensenada. If I was younger and could figure out how to do it I think that would be an amazing trip. 9000 plus miles! We are on a 40foot Defever trawler averaging 6 knots.

stoker

Reaction score
My cousin her husband built a boat in Chico back 30 years ago. Then traveled the world in it for years. Sounded like an incredible trips in placed that I have dreamed of visiting. Finding work where ever they stopped and needed money. Sadly the travels came to an end when they were in a South Pacific storm in the middle of the night and he was swept over board never to be found. Enjoy the rest of time that you have on your boat.

We have met two different couples during our travels who have given their lives to the sea. Both of them with more than 15 constant years under their belts.

MSum661

Reaction score
I used to have a Magic Sorcerer 34. The furthest I took that was from Newport to Ensenada. If I was younger and could figure out how to do it I think that would be an amazing trip. 9000 plus miles! We are on a 40foot Defever trawler averaging 6 knots.

Badass!!!! Good for you.

RichL

Reaction score
We are currently in Port Washington up the East River. We were going to try to go to thousand islands Canada but it’s to late in the season. All the cruisers have already headed south. I started a thread about our adeventures from San Diego but only got as far as Costa Rica. We have been real busy but I will update it shortly. You can see it here if you are interested.
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/for...rough-the-panama-canal-and-beyond-s-a.186711/
When I was a kid (a long time ago) we used to fish off the dock in Port Washington. A buddy's parents kept their boat on a hook there. Many years later, an old family friend ran his performance boat out ofPort Washington. Great trip story by the way.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
When I was a kid (a long time ago) we used to fish off the dock in Port Washington. A buddy's parents kept their boat on a hook there. Many years later, an old family friend ran his performance boat out ofPort Washington,
Port Washington had really bad flooding last week. Rain here has been nuts.
Lots of businesses, homes, cars, etc damaged. Bizarre weather for this time of year for sure.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
NYC Things to do. Brooklyn park across from the tip of Manhattan.
Coney Island was fun to see and long train ride
Top of the rock
World Trade 9/11 museum take tour with headsets
Walk through Central Park
Tram way on east side of Manhattan
High line
Wolfgang steakhouse was the best ever
Cathedrals on the west side of the island
Begals
Kats Deli
Pizza in little Italy
Seridipity for ice cream
Again the architectural tour around Manhattan helped find many places that we tried to find

Taboma

Reaction score

I'd followed along up the Potomac, now I see you've crossed through all the locks and over to the Delaware and around NJ to NY. Are you going to head up to Mystic Connecticut and around Long Island or turn around and work your way back south. ?

stoker

Reaction score
I'd followed along up the Potomac, now I see you've crossed through all the locks and over to the Delaware and around NJ to NY. Are you going to head up to Mystic Connecticut and around Long Island or turn around and work your way back south. ?

Heading south. We will be in the Atlantic most of the way especially past New Jersey because of the shallow water. It’s no fun when you only have 2 to 4 feet under your keel for two straight days! One day we ran aground twice.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Boating. We left ca 2 years ago and just arrived in NY. It’s the furthest north we will be going. Our next major destination will be the Bahamas. After that the boat goes up for sale in Florida and we go home to Komofornia.
Wait. When did this start and do you have a thread or blog or something so we can follow around? If you sailed from Cali to NY that is a hug adventure. I'd be interested in hearing more about it.

Lol... Never mind. Always helps to read the entire thread before posting...

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Awesome that you made it up to NY. Was wondering about you over the weekend. Last I saw you were in MD. Cruising around Manhattan is really cool. It is bizarre to see the island from the water. My wife's granddad was a pilot and I had the opportunity to go out a few times up there. Really fun boating. The city sounds are totally different from the water it has a bit of an eerie quality. At least it did for me.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd ever have the sack to pull off an adventure like this, but it's sure inspiring to read about!! God knows I want too!

Thanks for giving us an update!

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Stoker would you mind if I combined all of your threads into the original one so we can read the story start to finish in one thread?

RD

stoker

Reaction score
Stoker would you mind if I combined all of your threads into the original one so we can read the story start to finish in one thread?

RD

Go for it. Sorry I haven’t updated the original one but I have been busy. Just got back from NYC. What a shit hole. I will comment on that experience later

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd ever have the sack to pull off an adventure like this, but it's sure inspiring to read about!! God knows I want too!

Thanks for giving us an update!

RD
Right? I have way to much respect for the ocean to attempt something like this.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
NYC Things to do. Brooklyn park across from the tip of Manhattan.
Coney Island was fun to see and long train ride
Top of the rock
World Trade 9/11 museum take tour with headsets
Walk through Central Park
Tram way on east side of Manhattan
High line
Wolfgang steakhouse was the best ever
Cathedrals on the west side of the island
Begals
Kats Deli
Pizza in little Italy
Seridipity for ice cream
Again the architectural tour around Manhattan helped find many places that we tried to find
Serendipity? The one in Vegas by Ceasar's was closed, guess the guy who owned it was a major crook. New Gordon Ramsay restaurant going in its place. Prime location too.

stoker

Reaction score
Serendipity? The one in Vegas by Ceasar's was closed, guess the guy who owned it was a major crook. New Gordon Ramsay restaurant going in its place. Prime location too.
Just got back from the city. So much trash, traffic and chaos. Not sure I like it. We will give it another shot in a couple days.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score

Don’t know....The better half told me that I was going there....and enjoy it. Just like most of the things over the last 25 years. LOL

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Just got back from the city. So much trash, traffic and chaos. Not sure I like it. We will give it another shot in a couple days.

I hear you. But I think for us it makes us appreciate the life that we have.

4Waters

Reaction score
Right? I have way to much respect for the ocean to attempt something like this.

Does that respect come from fear, because that where my respect for big blue comes from. It scares the shit out of me knowing how fast it can change on you.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Does that respect come from fear, because that where my respect for big blue comes from. It scares the shit out of me knowing how fast it can change on you.
I've lived by the beach all my life and know the strength of the ocean, so yes there is a fear factor to it.

stoker

Reaction score

We are constantly monitoring weather even when we are anchored. We watch a number of weather sites and only head out when all the sites coincide with each other. With that said yes the weather can change quickly and we have experienced it on a couple of 3 day crossings.we got beat up pretty good entering the main harbor of Panama on the pacific side one night. The weather forecasted for that leg of the trip was way off. Everything inside the boat was on the floor and we almost lost the tender due to a failed bilge pump. I was never in fear of the boat going down but we did have to alter course and slow down to 1.5 knots to eliminate some of the pounding even though we were still getting rocked pretty good from the confused seas hitting us broadside.

That night I did call on the relief captain (Captain Morgan) to help take the edge off a bit until we got into calmer waters. The nice thing about the east coast is there are a number of inlets you can duck into if neede.