WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mission bay boating ??

bagged97taco

Reaction score
So we go to San Diego every year for 10+ days. We stay in mission bay rv park and every year I say to the wife we should bring the boat! Been doing some research about salt water boating and I’m not scared of salt water. Maybe a little worried about my box tube trailer so to speak but I think I can handle the wash down and flushing of engine etc. my questions are, is the boating there worth the tow from Tucson, AZ? Can you flush your engine at the wash down areas? Do I need anything besides my normal registration and safety stuff (ext. throw cushion etc) if we were to try to boat to Coronado would it be possible in a 22ft boat ( Cole superhawk with a 525). Always wanted to boat around the Bay Area in Coronado and dock at our fav restaurant and eat lunch. Any help would be great. May just rent a boat in mission bay for a few hours and see what it’s like.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
There are generally plenty of hoses on the ramps there for flush and wash down. It can get a little busy with small hobie cats and what not. There are a couple of small islands to pull up on.

IMO, the water in the bay kind of smells bad. Just my opinion.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
There are generally plenty of hoses on the ramps there for flush and wash down. It can get a little busy with small hobie cats and what not. There are a couple of small islands to pull up on.

IMO, the water in the bay kind of smells bad. Just my opinion.
Thanks. Obviously not the best water and or scenery but being on the water instead of dreaming of being on the water is usually better

whipple charged

Reaction score
if your only going to use it a day or two I would rent a boat....
there is lots of launch ramps all around the bay and most have hose hook ups can get busy..(bring your own hose its better).
get salt away big bottle and clean your trailer asap..
as for going around to Coronado just check surf report and don't cut in to close to point loma light house that area is full of kelp..
Coronado has some spots to dock boat and go have lunch etc..
theres is fuel at a few spots in the big bay.. fill up before you head back to mission bay..

250Eagle

Reaction score
So we go to San Diego every year for 10+ days. We stay in mission bay rv park and every year I say to the wife we should bring the boat! Been doing some research about salt water boating and I’m not scared of salt water. Maybe a little worried about my box tube trailer so to speak but I think I can handle the wash down and flushing of engine etc. my questions are, is the boating there worth the tow from Tucson, AZ? Can you flush your engine at the wash down areas? Do I need anything besides my normal registration and safety stuff (ext. throw cushion etc) if we were to try to boat to Coronado would it be possible in a 22ft boat ( Cole superhawk with a 525). Always wanted to boat around the Bay Area in Coronado and dock at our fav restaurant and eat lunch. Any help would be great. May just rent a boat in mission bay for a few hours and see what it’s like.

I know there is a wash down hose at the top of the ramp at Mission Bay RV Park. But the ramp is unusable for a boat. Over Memorial Day weekend we rented a Duffy and cruised the bay while down there. It was cool but the mission bay itself is pretty small. You could cover it pretty quick and be bored in a real boat. I would guess you could run down to Coronado but I know you will have to exit out to the break water then come back into Coronado bay. There is a bar/restaurant in the bay that’s pretty cool called barefoot bar and grill.

250Eagle

Reaction score
And to add I think some of the rental companies in the bay have rules against leaving the bay. But I know by looking into it you can rent a boat for around $350 a day (8 hours). Also there is a launch ramp across from Mission Bay RV Park that’s public and another public one that I’ve been told is really nice next door to sea world.

HitIt

Reaction score
Maybe a little worried about my box tube trailer so to speak but I think I can handle the wash down and flushing of engine etc.

You think you can handle it but seriously, you cant. You can't take a boat/trailer in the ocean once and expect it to ever be the same. You either have an ocean boat or you don't. Between the damage the salt is sure to do and the tow, just rent a boat or some PWC's and call it a day. You wont be blasting around but there are some pontoon rentals, too.

Or rent a hit tub boat:
http://hottubcruisin.com/

Taboma

Reaction score
I've been boating San Diego waters in many different sizes, small to large, since the late 70's --- I also have a 22' Nighthawk in Havasu. My Nighthawk will never be dipped in the salty big blue. I can flush the engine and drive, but there's no way I can fully flush my trailer. The salt water will get inside the tubes and in time it will rot from the inside out, just like my jet ski trailer did I used in the ocean. Sure the Cole would make the trip from MB to SD Bay, but it's not a deep vee and it's not blessed with a lot of stern freeboard either, so if you lost a drive or engine, things could go sideways real fast. I had a 19' Reinell cuddy I used to run often to the Coronado Islands, but it had a lot more freeboard. Plus I had VHF, flare gun, just in case.

Here's a link to Seaforth Boat rental --- If I were you, I'd rent it on SD Bay, with the big Navy ships, Cruise ships and the fact that bay is the size of many lakes, you can have fun all day exploring. On Coronado Island you can stop for lunch or a drink, that's how I'd do it before I'd tow mine back from Havasu.
https://seaforthboatrental.com/locations/

HitIt

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd rent it on SD Bay, with the big Navy ships, Cruise ships and the fact that bay is the size of many lakes, you can have fun all day exploring. On Coronado Island you can stop for lunch or a drink, that's how I'd do it before I'd tow mine back from Havasu.

That is what I did with my family. Check Groupon/Living Social to save a bunch. You can often just call the place up and tell them to give you the Groupon price and they will, so they dont have to pay Groupon:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/sd-adventures-5

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Pretty sure I’ll just rent some jet skis instead. I don’t wanna deal with the boat while down there and the salt. I was looking online at some jet ski rentals and found some places for really fair prices around the area. Pretty sure one of the places was posted on here for theft of 2 Skiis. I’ll give it more thought in the next week. Thanks for the replies

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
You think you can handle it but seriously, you cant. You can't take a boat/trailer in the ocean once and expect it to ever be the same. You either have an ocean boat or you don't. Between the damage the salt is sure to do and the tow, just rent a boat or some PWC's and call it a day. You wont be blasting around but there are some pontoon rentals, too.

Or rent a hit tub boat:
http://hottubcruisin.com/
Seems like the boat can take it with limited use and a good clean - up / flush, but the trailer can't. Once dip in the salt water for a box tube trailer and that starts the process.....

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I would definitely rent something, don't put your trailer in the salt, you will regret it down the road, unless it is full galvanized. and have fun!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I used to live in Bay Park, just up on top of the hill from Mission Bay, and can tell you that your trailer would be toast. I had a boat parked in from of my house and just the air destroyed the trailer.

It seems big, until your cruising around and then you see how small it truly is. The worse part is the crazy Newbies that you have to deal with. San Diego Bay is fun though.

Taboma

Reaction score
Pretty sure I’ll just rent some jet skis instead. I don’t wanna deal with the boat while down there and the salt. I was looking online at some jet ski rentals and found some places for really fair prices around the area. Pretty sure one of the places was posted on here for theft of 2 Skiis. I’ll give it more thought in the next week. Thanks for the replies
San Diego Bay is a hoot for riding jetskis
thumbs up.png
A lot more fun than Mission Bay where all the ass-clowns tend to ride. Plus you don't have to deal with all the no-wake areas to get outside. We used to ride there a lot. We'd launch at a small ramp on Coronado Island, but I think I heard it's closed for renovation --- during the summer, smart move !! But check, I could be wrong. Anyway, on the Coronado Island side of the bridge, where the golf course is, there's a nice beach you can pull up on and have a picnic. But the best riding is outside the breakwater, hang a left (South) and head back in towards the beach that runs along the Navy Base towards the Hotel Del Coronado. The water there is often laid down with just nice rolling swells, really fun riding. Also slow cruise along the outisde edge of the partially submerged Zuniga Break Water --- the water is usually really clear and you'll see a lot of pretty fish.
If you turn north around the point it's awesome, big swells, but do be careful, there's ton of kelp and that occasional large set that puts folks on the rocks :eek:
I was going to suggest jet skis, but suggesting that here on RDP can get you stoned (Not in a fun way) :rolleyes:
Do be wary of the large boats, with huge wakes in SD Bay, they can leave some mighty deep holes :eek: But it's usually smooth south of the bridge.
OH and don't do what my bro-in-law did --- he decided to run in close to get a real good look at the Submarines, while he was busy checking out the Subs, he failed to notice several guys armed with M-16s running towards him :eek:
Great plan
thumbs up.png

OC Mike

Reaction score
Your trailer will never be the same...

Wadernation

Reaction score
Little off topic but how do you like Mission Bay RV Park? i rented a long term spot from 1/1-3/1/19. Never been before but looks nice online.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Mission bay RV is great we use to go there all the time. I wouldn’t dip my boat in the ocean for nothin. But different strokes, my buddy is planning to run to Catalina in his boat. I’d rather take a beach cruiser or Uber to the boardwalk. There are some dinner cruises and a few other things you can do out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Little off topic but how do you like Mission Bay RV Park? i rented a long term spot from 1/1-3/1/19. Never been before but looks nice online.
It’s a nice park. Has some nice areas for the kids and the bay just out the gate is nice. Met some really awesome people in the past years that we’ve been there

sprintcvx

Reaction score
Isn't there any place around there to sling your boat in the water? To keep your trailer out of the salt.

Singleton

Reaction score
Isn't there any place around there to sling your boat in the water? To keep your trailer out of the salt.

In the entire mission bay, I have only seen 1 lift and that was at a private marina by the exit to the Pacific.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Have done both bays many times. If you have a steel painted trailer even just one dunking will start the rust process. I am unaware of any sling services. My first two boats had galvanized trailers so there were no worries. I agree with using the Seaforth rentals. Or this guy from Craigslist: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/d/sea-ray-8-passenger-rental/6631684015.html

San Diego Bay is way more fun. More dining options. San Diego Seafood Company. Joe's Crab Shack, Peohe's and the Loews resort down in the Coronado Cays. You can hang out by their pool while you wait for your $13.00 Cheeseburger. You can get pretty close to the Midway as well. Lots to see.

Mission Bay has a couple places to eat on or near the water. Paradise Point on the island in the middle. The Bahia and the Catamaran are nice hotels that may let you dock while you eat. Maybe. There's a few restaurants and taco shops in Mission Bay where you could beach or anchor and walk in to get some grub.

Running out of Mission Bay and around to the Big Bay is a fun adventure. You do have to go fairly far out to clear the Kelp beds though. I met an old man who had rigged up a sword to fit on his outdrive. He claimed he could run right through the kelp and it would cut them right open. There's some good fishing out there.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

Campland is way better! They have so many more things to do, more activities, the water is a tad better. Swimming pools, dodgeball and a ton of other games for kids, the people are usually pretty cool.

cxr

Reaction score
In my opinion Chula Vista RV park is a way better place with a full service marina next door.
http://www.chulavistarv.com/
WHats the beach like here? is it nice? does it get supercrowded like camplands?

we love campland usually go labor day weekend and went last year for thanksgiving.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Campland is way better! They have so many more things to do, more activities, the water is a tad better. Swimming pools, dodgeball and a ton of other games for kids, the people are usually pretty cool.
If you don’t mind the Escalades on 30s driving thru camp blasting the Mexi polka all day then yes it might be better. Def more kid friendly.

Wadernation

Reaction score

yea ive been to campland and its a good time!..just not sure if they offer long term. Im going to be living in my tow hauler in 2019 so mission bay RV offered monthly discounted rates. :D

riverroyal

Reaction score
Few little known facts about the bay
On the southwest side of fiesta island is a sludge drying bed. Sewage seeps into the dirt, once it’s crunchy it gets trucked to the desert. It’s on the edge of the island, about 3 feet above the water table.
Next, the marina next to sea world to the east is built over a old navy dump. There’s a unknown amount of barrels of chemicals down there. They did locate some as the marina was built.
Next, there no in and out to the ocean. Just the Same way in and out. So there’s no cycle of water. It raises with the tide but can’t flush. So all street run off and pollution can’t go anywhere.

So, how do I know all this you ask. I spent everyday down there when I raced jet skis.
One day I thought I was having a heart attack heading home. I was 27. After a month in the hospital I was told I picked up a bacteria which attacked my heart liner. This caused forever heart desease which I’m told won’t kill me, but when it flares up the pain just about does.
The bacteria was from bad water.
I was off work for 13 months, I did some research.
I will never step foot in that water again.

Enjoy your boating. :)

Taboma

Reaction score
Few little known facts about the bay
On the southwest side of fiesta island is a sludge drying bed. Sewage seeps into the dirt, once it’s crunchy it gets trucked to the desert. It’s on the edge of the island, about 3 feet above the water table.
Next, the marina next to sea world to the east is built over a old navy dump. There’s a unknown amount of barrels of chemicals down there. They did locate some as the marina was built.
Next, there no in and out to the ocean. Just the Same way in and out. So there’s no cycle of water. It raises with the tide but can’t flush. So all street run off and pollution can’t go anywhere.

So, how do I know all this you ask. I spent everyday down there when I raced jet skis.
One day I thought I was having a heart attack heading home. I was 27. After a month in the hospital I was told I picked up a bacteria which attacked my heart liner. This caused forever heart desease which I’m told won’t kill me, but when it flares up the pain just about does.
The bacteria was from bad water.
I was off work for 13 months, I did some research.
I will never step foot in that water again.

Enjoy your boating. :)

And we know that SD Bay has the same single channel in and out ----- and a few shipyards and Navy Bases and live aboards pumping, and, and, the list could go on and on :eek:
Of course if they open a channel on the south end as there's been chatter about for years, then it would probably suck in the wonderful TJ River water :confused:. So really, not the best bay for swimming or eating any marine life, LOL

rush1

Reaction score
WHats the beach like here? is it nice? does it get supercrowded like camplands?

we love campland usually go labor day weekend and went last year for thanksgiving.
Dont think they have a beach per say like camp lands . Its right next door to the marina which has big boat launch so if your going to boat and keep your boat in a slip I think Chula Vista RV Resort is a better deal ,if you want party atmosphere than Camp land is what you want.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Dont think they have a beach per say like camp lands . Its right next door to the marina which has big boat launch so if your going to boat and keep your boat in a slip I think Chula Vista RV Resort is a better deal ,if you want party atmosphere than Camp land is what you want.

The beach for Mission Bay RV is near the entrance of the park in the back bay.

Campland is a mix of gangsters and families and is like a SoCal freeway, busy as fuck. Sites are tiny too.

Chula is nice and super quiet. Not much to do within a bike ride so you’re at the mercy of the restaurants or your campsite, not much else. I like it there though.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Went to mission bay once. There’s only one arm of the bay that’s not a no wake zone so you’ll tire of it quick. We went outside of the breakwater in our 27 for about 5 mins and got rocked. Like 6’ footers, boat spent more time in the air. I’d say not worth the haul especially for a nice 22 nighthawk.

I’ll also echo the trailer issue. It rots from the inside. I destroyed a tube trailer with only a handful of saltwater dunks, it still looked great but only thing holding it together was the paint.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using salt away? I've been told if you coat your trailer and boat before and after it will prevent salt corrosion.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The sewage spreading grounds are gone. Now they pump it up to a treatment plant on Miramar. I agree the water is still not awesome for swimming. Don't most bays have only one entrance?

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Anyone remember the Sea World Hydrofoils from back in the day? The wakes off of those things were ridiculous, and ruined many a day on the launch ramps if people weren't paying attention when the wake was coming.

whipple charged

Reaction score
Anyone remember the Sea World Hydrofoils from back in the day? The wakes off of those things were ridiculous, and ruined many a day on the launch ramps if people weren't paying attention when the wake was coming.

That was the best part of SeaWorld loved that ride..
hydrofoil.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using salt away? I've been told if you coat your trailer and boat before and after it will prevent salt corrosion.

Even the best tube trailer will allow water inside the tubes. There's no paint protection inside the tubes. In most cases there's no way to get any Salt Away inside the tubes to flush it. I suppose if you could launch then immediately go immerse it fully in fresh water, filling the tubes then flushing them -- but that ain't happening, lol. I did see a set up once where a guy had actually installed female hose fittings on his two main trailer tubes and had drains, so he could fill the tubes and flush them --- at least in theory.

Taboma

Reaction score
The sewage spreading grounds are gone. Now they pump it up to a treatment plant on Miramar. I agree the water is still not awesome for swimming. Don't most bays have only one entrance?

Yes an yes --- and I've never seen a salt water bay or harbor my adult mind has wanted to swim in, lol
Although I spent plenty of afternoons in my youth water skiing in back bay Newport --- and Elsinore, youthful ignorance is bliss :eek:

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I have wanted to do this forever however, it is my understanding that all wash/flush out areas in SD county are history due to washback and contamination into the ocean. North of SD county it is still allowed. Any comments from locals?

Taboma

Reaction score
I have wanted to do this forever however, it is my understanding that all wash/flush out areas in SD county are history due to washback and contamination into the ocean. North of SD county it is still allowed. Any comments from locals?

I don't recall there ever being wash/flush available at Shelter Island on SD Bay, certainly not at the ramp I used on Coronado Island, or Dana Landing on Mission Bay (Back in the day anyway), in fact the only ramp I recall having one was Oceanside which I haven't used in a lot of years.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Thinking I’m just gonna book a duck tour around the bay!! Too soon???

riverroyal

Reaction score
Good point poop plant is gone now
Most bays have one entrance but mission is pretty small for the size of the bay.
Rewind 50 years and the city prob thought it was perfect for future populations. But. The run off to that body of water is huge and its at the furthest end from the ocean..
Im no tree hugger, but im not going in the water. At least my person, for a boat its no different than any salt water.
Salt away, hose it. Then repeat.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Damn, I guess I’m going to glow in the dark after riding jet skis in the bay all day Thursday. But at least I will make in easy target for the gangs at Campland.:D

riverroyal

Reaction score
You will be fine. I was in that water rain or shine for a decade. Just keep your mouth closed.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Even the best tube trailer will allow water inside the tubes. There's no paint protection inside the tubes. In most cases there's no way to get any Salt Away inside the tubes to flush it. I suppose if you could launch then immediately go immerse it fully in fresh water, filling the tubes then flushing them -- but that ain't happening, lol. I did see a set up once where a guy had actually installed female hose fittings on his two main trailer tubes and had drains, so he could fill the tubes and flush them --- at least in theory.
What he said. Salt away is really nothing more than Dawn dish soap anyway.

Nikwho

Reaction score
If my boat wasn't a boat that would always be in salt water, I would NEVER take it in saltwater! I lived in Carlsbad, CA, right on the coast and I never put my boat in the salt water. It really won't ever be the same. Those that said it before aren't kidding. It is horrible.

Also, you mentioned going to Coronado AND Mission Bay. Keep in mind those are two totally different bays. San Diego bay is a pretty big body of water, that ships navigate. I'm not sure what kind of boat you would be taking, but keep that in mind. And, you need to go out into the ocean to make your way south, down to San Diego Bay (Coronado). We've rented a sail boat in San Diego Bay before and it's a blast. The BEST way to see the fire works, BTW! Need to rent from a place that allows overnight rentals, or late returns. Anyway, lots of fun to be had, but I would make sure that you have a pretty ocean worthy boat for San Diego harbor.

My first boat was an 18' Maxum I/O family ski type boat. I realized how intimidating it could be the first time I left Mission Bay, to head down to SD Bay.

Also, if you want some entertainment and want to see what the Coast Guards .50 Cal bow mounted machine gun looks like, drive toward one on the Navy ships until you see them! :eek:

sirbob

Reaction score
Do they still do the over the line tournament in mission bay?

Some of those team names were great the last time I was there...

"Six tits and three slits" played "a pound of penis between us"