WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mojave Road Trail

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
We went on our first overland trip this past weekend on the Mojave Road trail. We had 12 vehicles in our group- 4 Jeeps, 3 Toyotas, 2 blazers, and 3 full size trucks. All were able to complete the trail with no issues. We stayed in Laughlin Thursday night and headed out Friday morning. We started at the river just north of the Avi. The ruins of the old Fort Mohave are on the other side of the river.
IMG_5329.JPG

We headed out and took a break after crossing the 95 for a drink and to fix a small issue on a truck.
IMG_5350.JPG

The next stop on the trip was Fort Piute where we saw old ruins and had lunch.

IMG_5367.JPG

We went about 50 miles the first day. @Riley1 and I had done a bunch of research before the trip and we decided on a campground about 8 miles off the trail. The campsite was great, but it was at an elevation of about 5900' so it was extremely cold and also windy. So much so, that we had 3 vehicles turn off and head back home the next day.

IMG_5426 (2).JPG

to be continued...

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Saturday morning we headed out and hit an old mining site, stopped to sign in at the mailbox, and then took a short side trip to the Lava Tubes

IMG_5449 (1).JPG
IMG_5458.JPG
IMG_5465.JPG
IMG_5479 (1).JPG

After the Lava Tubes, we crossed Soda Lake near Zyzzx and stopped at Travelers Monument to leave a rock.

IMG_5503.JPG

The second night we camped near Rasor Rd. It was warmer the second night, but extremely windy.

IMG_5504.JPG

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Sunday we got up early, packed up and headed off to Afton Canyon.
IMG_5521.JPG

First stop was the railroad crossing. We got there right as a train was going by.

IMG_5509.JPG

Of course we had to do a photo op!

IMG_5517.JPG

Next up was Spooky Canyon.

IMG_5539 (1).JPG

It's a really cool hike back into a slot canyon. I highly recommend this to anyone in that area!

IMG_5525.JPG

IMG_5532.JPG

IMG_5535 (2).JPG

We continued on through the canyon.

IMG_5544.JPG

We hit a couple water crossings.

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5552.JPG

We ended our trip at the Afton Canyon campground about mile 122 of the 140 mile trail. It was getting late and we all had long drives home.

IMG_5585.JPG

With side trips, we did 150 miles overall. It was an incredible trip! There is so much to see that it can't be done in one weekend. We will definitely be planning another trip!
We were a little worried about the size of the group, but it worked out fine. As a group we only had a couple minor mechanical issues. It was a good mix of people also which helps considerably. You might even spot a couple other RDP vehicles in there!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
nice....We did the same run over new years.

ended up skipping the second night of camping due to crazy wind.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Looks like a killer time! We did that trip a few years ago in our buggies, we parked at the KOA in Barstow and stayed in Laughlin We did the trail in 1 day which was fun but we didnt have enough time to stop and check things out. If we ever do it again we would break it up and stay a night out there.

How was the mud on Soda lake? If you have any mud get that shit off ASAP, it took its toll on some of my car (bolts, anodized stuff, etc...)

sintax

Reaction score
Looks like a killer time! We did that trip a few years ago in our buggies, we parked at the KOA in Barstow and stayed in Laughlin We did the trail in 1 day which was fun but we didnt have enough time to stop and check things out. If we ever do it again we would break it up and stay a night out there.

How was the mud on Soda lake? If you have any mud get that shit off ASAP, it took its toll on some of my car (bolts, anodized stuff, etc...)

haha back when i was wheeling a lot. I got a phone call from a bud about rescuing someone from that dry lake. They thought they could cut through a section of it, but the crust broke through and they quickly found themselves sitting on the frame rails of their jeep on 35's.

11pm we got up there, and it took a solid couple ours to extract them. NOT FUN, all in all just stay away from that damn lake

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Looks like a great trip, we saw you guys camped at Rasor, we were just over the flats almost directly across from you. The wind was no joke tho.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
nice....We did the same run over new years.

ended up skipping the second night of camping due to crazy wind.
[/QUOT
I would definitely wait until March or even April next time so it’s a little warmer.
We’re also thinking about a bed rack and a rooftop tent now. They’re supposed to be much better in the wind.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score

We followed the trail exactly. We hit the lake with our windows down and we were immediately hit with a huge cloud of white dust that got all over everything inside the truck. We didn’t come across any mud or wet spots.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Looks like a great trip, we saw you guys camped at Rasor, we were just over the flats almost directly across from you. The wind was no joke tho.
It was crazy. It also switched direction at some point in the night and the bushes no longer blocked it. It destroyed our bathroom tent.
You guys should have come over for a drink!

Ol Man

Reaction score
I have done that trip many times. It is a great adventure. We also camp and spend either 3 or 4 nights on the trail. I don't know if you used Dennis Casebier's book as the guide for your adventure, but all who go should have a copy of his book and the passenger can read about things to see along the road. Here is a link to his story and link to get his book. Without him, we would not have that jewel.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
I have done that trip many times. It is a great adventure. We also camp and spend either 3 or 4 nights on the trail. I don't know if you used Dennis Casebier's book as the guide for your adventure, but all who go should have a copy of his book and the passenger can read about things to see along the road. Here is a link to his story and link to get his book. Without him, we would not have that jewel.

we bought the book several months ago. I read through the whole thing and marked the stops we wanted to make. We also used the gps coordinates to make a route on Gaia that we shared with everyone before the trip. I brought the book with us and we all had radios so I used it to call out points of interest. It was a great resource!

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Looks like your all having fun thanks for sharing, brings back good memories. Years ago I was on a quest to ride a KTM 950 motorcycle solo on all the off-road trails in southern California, this was one of the highlights. Barstow to Avi and back. Deep Pioneer and Indian fighting history of that route. I always wanted to do the route on the other side of the river, the Hardyville Toll road, which is Bullhead to Prescott (Ft Whipple). Another cool one is the Brashaw trail (Salton Sea to Blyth), and then Ehrenberg to Ft Whipple. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/old-mojave-road-738a645?u=i

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score

Also, the EMHT! Eastern Mojave Heritage Trail. Dennis mapped it out years ago but this guy just resurrected it with Dennis' blessing and it sounds like an amazing time. I believe its upwards of about 600 miles split into 4 sections and there are books floating around about each leg. A bucket list item for me for sure.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Looks like your all having fun thanks for sharing, brings back good memories. Years ago I was on a quest to ride a KTM 950 motorcycle solo on all the off-road trails in southern California, this was one of the highlights. Barstow to Avi and back. Deep Pioneer and Indian fighting history of that route. I always wanted to do the route on the other side of the river, the Hardyville Toll road, which is Bullhead to Prescott (Ft Whipple). Another cool one is the Brashaw trail (Salton Sea to Blyth), and then Ehrenberg to Ft Whipple. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/old-mojave-road-738a645?u=i

Thanks for the info. I’m ready to plan our next trip already!

Reactions: DLC

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Also, the EMHT! Eastern Mojave Heritage Trail. Dennis mapped it out years ago but this guy just resurrected it with Dennis' blessing and it sounds like an amazing time. I believe its upwards of about 600 miles split into 4 sections and there are books floating around about each leg. A bucket list item for me for sure.

I found the set of books on that one at the library. I’m going to check it out. It looks like the first leg from Needles to Ivanpah can be done on its own and we would end up close to home in Boulder City.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Looks like a great trip! Did any of the full-size trucks have any issues with tight clearances?
They got some desert pinstripes, but that's about it. There weren't any areas where we went through close rocks or anything.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Did you guys pull a permit or just went for it? Were going in 3 weeks and there is 11 rigs and I know the limit is 7 per group. We're going to refuel at Baker drop in at the top of Soda and drive it east.

Great pictures.

DLC

Reaction score
Those are some cool links guys!

Thank you for posting
The all trails link is amazing!

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Did you guys pull a permit or just went for it? Were going in 3 weeks and there is 11 rigs and I know the limit is 7 per group. We're going to refuel at Baker drop in at the top of Soda and drive it east.

Great pictures.
We did not pull a permit. I didn’t realize one was needed until a couple weeks ago. I started filling out the application and it said it takes a month to process. We only had two weeks at that point so we just went for it. We never saw a ranger until we got to Afton Canyon and it’s open riding at that point. He never asked us for anything.

We were going to refuel at Baker if needed, but everyone was at at least half a tank so we just kept going. It looks like it’s a 20 mile side trip to hit Baker. We were racing the sun at that point also, so we decided we would hit the gas station off Rasor Rd. the next day if needed since it’s only about 8 miles round trip.

BeerMaker

"B" Team Token Black Guy
Reaction score
This was absolutely a killer trip. My son and I had a great time and the group was awesome. Thanks @Riley1 and @Mrs. Riley1 for putting this together. Can't wait for the next one.

I didn't realize the man that preserved and documented the Mohave road passed away the day before we headed out....wow

It is a fitting memorial to a man who dedicated his life to understanding the Mojave, and has revived the past and made it a living experience through the Mojave Road.
Dennis G. Casebier passed away at his home in Bullhead City, Arizona on February 10, 2021, with his daughter Darelyn sitting at his bedside, he was 86 years old.

Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/desert-trails/dennis-casebier.html#ixzz6pDFAuVec

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Great trip report and pics! Always good to see folks enjoying the Mohave Trail.

We've done that trip multiple times and it never gets old - great route and good times on it with wheeling friends.

How were the desert flowers? The spring time there can be amazing if there was enough rain the winter before

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Great trip report and pics! Always good to see folks enjoying the Mohave Trail.

We've done that trip multiple times and it never gets old - great route and good times on it with wheeling friends.

How were the desert flowers? The spring time there can be amazing if there was enough rain the winter before
It was a little too early. We didn’t see many flowers unfortunately.