WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mojo

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I've had this picture and known the story for a long time. I was booking a charter in Newport for my wife. She has an employee retiring after 30 years, so they're doing a harbor lunch cruise etc. Anyway, while doing the search for a charter I ran across "Mojo" as a possible boat. I double checked and it is her. The story of this picture is that George C Scott had chartered her and was heading to Pebble Beach from Morro Bay to play in a Golf Tournament. They were warned not to go out, and this rogue wave was the result. More of the story in the link, but somebody got this awesome picture. She's 82 feet :eek::oops:

Mojo.jpg

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Such a classic pic,Mojo was in Newport forever as a kid growing up I remember seeing it all the time. Maybe at BBC? That picture was framed and inside Minneys for a long time.

DC-88

Reaction score
This one was way worse. Whale watching trip from a school just over the hill. All the kids survived luckily. I've been out of this harbor many times / spent a fair amount of time in the water surfing it during bigger swells over the years and it's no joke -

San Mateo MB.jpg
San Mateo MB.jpg

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
I've had the Mojo pic hanging on my office walls for the last 25 years. Probably wasted 50 hours over those years explaining the who/what/where to visitors.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I've had the Mojo pic hanging on my office walls for the last 25 years.
I would hang one at the lake if I had a higher res file. I peeled this one off some site probably 25 years ago as well.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
You won't find any hi-res pics out there because the original 35mm was taken from a hotel balcony (as I was told) on the inside of the harbor, then cropped to just show the interesting bits.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
I worked on the Mojo in Newport for a decade. That photo hangs above the Captain’s table in the wheel house. Been up and down the California coast running charters out of it - San Diego, Catalina for weeks during the summer. Cool job and still talk to the old owners.

Mojo is hour I earned all my sea time hours.

500bbc

Reaction score
I've had this picture and known the story for a long time. I was booking a charter in Newport for my wife. She has an employee retiring after 30 years, so they're doing a harbor lunch cruise etc. Anyway, while doing the search for a charter I ran across "Mojo" as a possible boat. I double checked and it is her. The story of this picture is that George C Scott had chartered her and was heading to Pebble Beach from Morro Bay to play in a Golf Tournament. They were warned not to go out, and this rogue wave was the result. More of the story in the link, but somebody got this awesome picture. She's 82 feet :eek::oops:

View attachment 1004605

Morro

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
This one was way worse. Whale watching trip from a school just over the hill. All the kids survived luckily. I've been out of this harbor many times / spent a fair amount of time in the water surfing it during bigger swells over the years and it's no joke

View attachment 1004715 View attachment 1004715

The Capt of the San Mateo perished in this accident. Bad deal. Boat shouldn’t have been trying to go out.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I worked on the Mojo in Newport for a decade. That photo hangs above the Captain’s table in the wheel house. Been up and down the California coast running charters out of it - San Diego, Catalina for weeks during the summer. Cool job and still talk to the old owners.

Mojo is hour I earned all my sea time hours.

Did you know Norm Catton?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
No, he was way before my time. It was owned by a private family when I crewed it. Eventually sold to Hornblower.

When Norm ran the Mojo it was owned by the Pauley family. As in UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion. It was not well known that the Pauley’s owned the boat. They also wanted to be a private family. But, they sure sent their boat out for many bare boat charters. Of course the owner designated the crew.