WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Monkeyswrench...At Last, A Real Garage

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:Well, this isn't near on point with some of garage spaces I've seen on these pages. Not in the "pimp" factor, and certainly not in the speed of completion. We all can't go "Hula-speed":D. So, first off, I picked up and did some work on an old Ford pick-em-up. This was done with the sole intent of selling to raise seed money. This:
2018-07-16 15.15.20.jpg

Got an Ls motor, bigger brakes, old school shoes and new electrical...all on jackstands and while on a gravel driveway...it sucked. It was also the means to get here:
20181215_132019.jpg
20181219_162813.jpg

County made me put in footings fit for a skyscraper! 24"x40" on perimeter, and Hoffa size for the pilings. Next up, concrete...the real reason for selling the 49. Mud is pricey:eek:

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 244

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So, this is where it gets pretty interesting. Most people I know have jobs, families or other things that take priority of helping a jackass. So, the radio gets lit off, and the hillbilly gets to work. Mild disclaimer here, this was a used building. A new 40x50 starts at 18k, no doors, or insulation. This was previously erected, and then taken down when the economy tanked. An old man bought it, and decided he lacked the means to put it up. I got it cheap, and had the ability to haul it from Phoenix. Easy enough, right?
2019-02-17 22.47.05.jpg

The 70something F350 was originally used buy a guy to install refrigeration units and chillers. It has an 11k winch and a few 6v batteries in the service bed. It lifted that arch easily, as one piece. I marked out centerline, and got the headache ball on point. I assembled the arch on cheap H.F. furniture dollies, and then pulled it up and into position.
2019-02-19 20.49.44.jpg
Here you can see the OSHA approved 2" ratchet straps I used to triangulate the main hoop. Wind can get bad out here, and that concrete is my new prized possession! I raised the front wall the same way, fully assembled. It was a bit more tricky, not balanced. I had to play with the loop point to both get it near balanced, and still manageable to get it over the anchor bolts by myself.
2019-02-19 20.49.44.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So, on with the show. Stuff gets creative when you are by yourself. Do to both my lack of speed and weather, renting a reach lift wasn't going to happen.
20190218_155705.jpg

This here is a Horrible Freight hoist. Says it would pull 175#, so I cobbled together the bracket and mounted it to the scaffolding. I am sure it is also OSHA compliant. The Z-purlins for this building are about 28ft long, and probably 175lbs? The idea was to pull up one side, retain it, but not bolt in place. Then, move scaffold to the opposite side, pull up other side and bolt into position. Buy using straps to retain the first side, it allowed me to slide the purlin clear of the girts, and then slide into position. Time consuming as all hell, and a good workout, but it worked!
2019-03-06 11.09.51.jpg

Once again, you can also see my creative use of tiedowns. Because of my extended build time, I needed to keep the structure square and rigid. It turns out there are engineering firms that design temporary bracing for big projects. After reading quite a bit online, I figured wind loads were an issue, but some math figure 2000lb ratchet straps should be adequate.

Spoiler alert: Must have been a good guess, worked out great!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
20190322_130351.jpg

Framework about done! Somewhere along the line my wife made the comment that it looked really dangerous. I found it funny, she really had no clue about my normal days working on roofs. Not that I miss those days(well, the money) but I guess hanging from ropes or scaffolding sealing curtain walls never crossed her mind!

I busted my ass to get here. Busting my ass to get my dream done. I always wanted to have my own shop building. The sidewalls are 18ft, and the main door will be large enough to drive anything in and out of the weather. I have worked on anything from monster trucks to lowriders. I am more a car guy than a boat guy, but anything burning fuel. I couldn't do this if I still lived in Cali. Yes, had weather delays, and not making the money, but working on this building I've seen Great Horned owls at night, and eagles during the day.

Next step...siding. Neighbor down the way had something I borrowed. He has put up a couple buildings on his property.
20190410_101801.jpg

It's a big old thing, 7x14ft, and lifts an easy 20ft. A couple years back I helped him replace the 2cyl Wisconsin with a 670 Predator...works good. I called up the only guy I know that has a beefy enough trailer and rig to move it to my house. 5o'clocksomewhere showed up bright and early! One major oversight on my part, the lift is a one wheeled wonder. It spun like hell but wouldn't make it up the ramps! Damn, had to call a tow truck. Oh well.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, wind permitting, I'd get going with the lift. Since the building was a used one, I started on the walkdoor side...kind of back asswards, but I needed to line up panels and the lower girts that had been sawzalled in!
20190422_123242.jpg
20190515_094500.jpg
20190524_110310.jpg

Coming soon, chapter 45: Roof Cluster-Fuck...limited photos of that due to the fucktardery and blood pressure:mad:

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
Bad ass...looks good...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Bad ass...looks good...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Thanks. It's getting there. Worked on it a bit tonight...not much, the last 24 hours was a shit show involving a bonsai run to the river and back. The goal is to get some room to work on stuff again. I have tools, engines and all kinds of crap in a 1.5 car garage, with a 31 coupe! Hell, I have a sheet metal brake and a shear stashed away I my daughter's horse trailer! Someday I'd like to post some builds in the various forums. When I moved out here I sold some tooling because I knew I didn't have room under roof. It was part of the scheme to pay down debt as well. I'll be on the hunt for a mill and lathe pretty soon, a Pullmax would be nice too, a big English wheel...there will always be a list!

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If I ever get transferred to Phoenix I’m coming to your neighborhood

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
You don’t want that commute.
Prescott Valley is the weekend getaway for PHX
I sure as hell wouldn't do the commute daily. That said, when I've had to be down there in the morning, it took the same or less than my old commute from Alta Loma to LA. I actually looked at it, but decided the hell with it. I moved here so I wouldn't have to work that hard anymore.

If I ever get transferred to Phoenix I’m coming to your neighborhood
Your kids would love it, we have 10 acres, horses, chickens, etc. Still enough room for a dirtbike track, can (and have) drive a semi around and make U-turns. Wife may not be so up on country life light though. It took me 8 years to convince the wife. She's happy we did it now.

As for work...you're a union guy. Kind of slim out here with the exception of the prevailing wage jobs that come up. That surely limits things. If you ever do come up this way, just don't expect a lot of Pro-Union sentiment. Lots of retired Ca union guys up here, but moved here to escape. Most people here will think union means "Hillary", or "Obama-care". This county is nothing like Maricopa. We have a shit ton of gunsmiths (one of the top programs in the nation), "Don't Tread On Me" flown besides "Trump 2020"...of course both flown below the Stars and Stripes.

If you come, everyone appreciates people that are workers. Very blue collar. People here show more respect for others in general, but here even the fairly wealthy seem to act like normal people. It's not like Ca, where someone with a nice car, house and such may act above a carpenter or mechanic. Two guys I know here in the area and have coffee with occasionally, literally could buy and sell people like me. One sold his patents and business to Ryobi, the other has the first Ferrari brought to the states...serious coin. Niether of them flaunt it, both drive pickups as dailys. They treat people like people. To me, the people are a good reason to be here.

Oh, 3hr from Topock, no traffic, even on hollidays. 4 hrs from Vegas.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
you should of had a barn raising party
All the respectable folk have those pesky "jobs" on weekdays. The other issue is the weather. We had some late storms that wreaked havoc on schedules, and the wind is hit or miss out here. Most of the panels were put up between 5:30am and 10am. The iron was put up when it was just damn cold...I wouldn't ask anyone to help me in those conditions. That's the type of stuff you do when you have to feed your family, not for pizza and beer:)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I DIG IT, I have been watching the posts. I have been trying to do the same at my house since I bought it in 2012. Never can seem to pull the trigger.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
You would be surprised what friends do for each other. :)

All the respectable folk have those pesky "jobs" on weekdays. The other issue is the weather. We had some late storms that wreaked havoc on schedules, and the wind is hit or miss out here. Most of the panels were put up between 5:30am and 10am. The iron was put up when it was just damn cold...I wouldn't ask anyone to help me in those conditions. That's the type of stuff you do when you have to feed your family, not for pizza and beer:)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I DIG IT, I have been watching the posts. I have been trying to do the same at my house since I bought it in 2012. Never can seem to pull the trigger.

Brian
Well, I'm not too far ahead. I bought out here in 2012. The building was bought in the summer of 2016, and stacked on sleepers to wait. I had some issues both with the county and the not so civil engineer I used. This has been a long term project/goal. I had friends pushing me to take a loan against my house to do a building. It's slow going, but not digging a hole for myself. When I lived out by you, there was no way I could have done this. The lots weren't to level on my street, and I was barely able to keep the payments on what I had.

You would be surprised what friends do for each other. :)
Not a whole lot would surprise me...but I am not the type to ask for much help, or ask my friends to work in cold and miserable conditions. If I get in a real bind, yes, I'd make a couple calls...but this doesn't need to be done on a deadline. I'll save the favors for when I need serious help...like a tow back to the launch ramp;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The 48-50 truck, did you sell or are you selling.

View attachment 760549
I sold it...cars, for me, have always been kind of like other peoples' savings accounts. They get kept for a while, but always have to sell to move on. In this case, the 49 became money for concrete and a guy that knew how to do it. Just the pad set me back a little shy of 20k...I had bids as high as 27! So, down the road she went.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
I sold it...cars, for me, have always been kind of like other peoples' savings accounts. They get kept for a while, but always have to sell to move on. In this case, the 49 became money for concrete and a guy that knew how to do it. Just the pad set me back a little shy of 20k...I had bids as high as 27! So, down the road she went.

That's great, I just started looking for a 48-50 ford for a daily driver.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Awesome progress. I’d love to have a garage like this.

Springfield

Reaction score
Great story thread, a “labor of love”. Keep us posted with more. :)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, the expletive filled chapter 45: The Roof

Ok, been around roofing literally my entire life. No big deal, start at the bottom, work to the top...right? Well, not so much with a steel building. It's more of a left to right thing. You have these 6ft wide rolls of insulation. You start at one side, and roll it up and over the ridge to the other. Now, you are supposed to use this kickass two-sided tape to aid with this. Of course, when I was at Bunger Steel in Phoenix a few weeks ago, I ordered several rolls. Of course, when I opened the box this week, it was facing tape for the insulation... Oh well, it's sticky as shit, and I needed to get work done. So, I tagged the roll to the header with tape, stretched it half way and clamped it. 6ft is two panels, so once rolling you can cover some stuff. About half way through the roofing gig...disaster #1 struck.

6am, I fire up the scissor lift. I have 4 panels loaded up and ready to go. I jump up and start lifting off...and see a huge smoke cloud. Like a cold Detroit Diesel cloud. I drop the scissor lift, and shut it down. After some quick checks, I determine the Horrible Freight 670 has up and died over night...puking massive amounts of oil into the intake via the vent. Like both pistons seized rings:eek:

Road trip...
20190529_153253.jpg

So, 700$ and later that day...
20190529_153242.jpg

Please don't laugh at the pipe jacks! The motor is just over 100lbs. Not super heavy, but tricky to grab. I pivoted on the stand on the right, and lifted the post from the left. I swung it over on the other stand, then screwed down the jacks, dropping the motor over the mounting studs, while aligning the Lovejoy coupler...fun;)
20190530_083315.jpg

Now, sometime in between these last pics was the other "Oh Shit!" moment. In the pics you can see I had stacked a lot of the panels on my gooseneck. Well, every evening I strapped them down. Unfortunately, they were always unstrapped while I was working. I was on the lid, and a dust devil crept up and scared the hell out of me...it also caught the panels on the trailer. 52 pickup, XL edition. No pics, I was pissed. It's a big yard, just damn lucky the kids weren't out in that area. 60sft of flying sheet metal can suck. Oddly, and luckily, the panels didn't get tweaked. They landed flat and not on their corners. As always, the best bad luck or the worst good luck. Either way, I'll take it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
2019-06-05 12.54.57.jpg

We are almost caught up to current. In this pic you can barely make out the brown wall top cap. These get a foam weather seal sandwiched between them and the roof panels. Then the lower edge of the panels are screwed down. I read they are supposed to be done before the roof...without the two sided tape though, it was easier to tape the insulation to the header, and then cap over it with the edge metal.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
The lots aren't "level" where I am at either. I had to do a retaining wall (2015-2016 chronicled here) to get the yard where I wanted it, and it has been sitting ever since.

Well, I'm not too far ahead. I bought out here in 2012. The building was bought in the summer of 2016, and stacked on sleepers to wait. I had some issues both with the county and the not so civil engineer I used. This has been a long term project/goal. I had friends pushing me to take a loan against my house to do a building. It's slow going, but not digging a hole for myself. When I lived out by you, there was no way I could have done this. The lots weren't to level on my street, and I was barely able to keep the payments on what I had.

Not a whole lot would surprise me...but I am not the type to ask for much help, or ask my friends to work in cold and miserable conditions. If I get in a real bind, yes, I'd make a couple calls...but this doesn't need to be done on a deadline. I'll save the favors for when I need serious help...like a tow back to the launch ramp;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The lots aren't "level" where I am at either. I had to do a retaining wall (2015-2016 chronicled here) to get the yard where I wanted it, and it has been sitting ever since.
My lot was a split level...as in pool and rv parking by house, and the lower grass. The lower had a 3ft retaining wall, with a 40degree sloped planter behind it. The only shop access would have been from the horse trail...not good for hotrods or race trailers. When we first got the house, was rolling making money. I figured I'd eventually buy or rent an industrial unit. Those wheels fell right off about 08 or 09. Instead of expansion, it was more survival. Left Cali with my tail between my legs, and hit the reset button. You live in one of the few areas I liked out there. Unfortunately, so do a lot of other people.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Mine as well, house level, 3 footsome tier, second 3footsome tier. I excavated (chronicled here) the first tier to yield a 6ft and 4 foot with a wing retaining wall across the entire yard. Now we have a pretty nice rear yard and the top level is somewhat segregated.

Yessir, I agree, self employed single income family here.

Our Barn access, for the horses, will be the same, by design, I was hoping I didn't end up with a yard full of concrete. We keep the trail access graded and nice.

Brian

My lot was a split level...as in pool and rv parking by house, and the lower grass. The lower had a 3ft retaining wall, with a 40degree sloped planter behind it. The only shop access would have been from the horse trail...not good for hotrods or race trailers. When we first got the house, was rolling making money. I figured I'd eventually buy or rent an industrial unit. Those wheels fell right off about 08 or 09. Instead of expansion, it was more survival. Left Cali with my tail between my legs, and hit the reset button. You live in one of the few areas I liked out there. Unfortunately, so do a lot of other people.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Mine as well, house level, 3 footsome tier, second 3foot some tier. I excavated the first tier to yield a 6ft and 4 foot with a wing retaining wall across the entire yard. Now we have a pretty nice rear yard and the top level is somewhat segregated.

Yessir, I agree, self employed single income family here.

Barn access will be the same, by design, I was hoping I didn't end up with a yard full of concrete. We keep the trail access graded and nice.

Brian
Our trail was narrow, as in Ranger pickup to park a jetski trailer on the lower.

We were dual income, wife teaching and me construction dork. As a Cali teacher my wife did pretty damn good...you know, that union stuff. Out here she makes about half. She actually likes it, confuses the hell out of me:confused:. I just got real sick of pushing 70hrs a week in a job that has consistently been in OSHA's top 5 most dangerous. I got tired of working with injuries that could get leaches Social Security. I guess it was diminishing returns on my blood and sweat. If I would have stuck with it, the house is probably worth 1.5 now...not to me, but someone. At what point do you fold? 9 year olds were complaining about having an iPhone, not an iPad...in my daughter's GirlSprout carpool. I couldn't keep up with keeping my kids up! I think I grew a little too big for my britches, too fast. At 30 I was king of the world, at 36 I had my teeth kicked in. What I learned is this: No matter how many hours I worked, or dollars made, I've only ever had a 100$ in my wallet. Nothing has changed but my blood pressure. Now I work on my own stuff when I want, or actually use the river pad for more than a couple weekends. Money isn't as plentiful, but neither are bills;)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I drove a 3 yard loader, with room to spare on each side. But yea, it was nerve wracking driving something between the walls with the power to destroy everything in its path.

Our trail was narrow, as in Ranger pickup to park a jetski trailer on the lower.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Ive had my share of ups and downs.

I get it.

We were dual income, wife teaching and me construction dork. As a Cali teacher my wife did pretty damn good...you know, that union stuff. Out here she makes about half. She actually likes it, confuses the hell out of me:confused:. I just got real sick of pushing 70hrs a week in a job that has consistently been in OSHA's top 5 most dangerous. I got tired of working with injuries that could get leaches Social Security. I guess it was diminishing returns on my blood and sweat. If I would have stuck with it, the house is probably worth 1.5 now...not to me, but someone. At what point do you fold? 9 year olds were complaining about having an iPhone, not an iPad...in my daughter's GirlSprout carpool. I couldn't keep up with keeping my kids up! I think I grew a little too big for my britches, too fast. At 30 I was king of the world, at 36 I had my teeth kicked in. What I learned is this: No matter how many hours I worked, or dollars made, I've only ever had a 100$ in my wallet. Nothing has changed but my blood pressure. Now I work on my own stuff when I want, or actually use the river pad for more than a couple weekends. Money isn't as plentiful, but neither are bills;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I drove a 3 yard loader, with room to spare on each side. But yea, it was nerve wracking driving something between the walls with the power to destroy everything in its path.
Ever watch that video of the redneck that got pissed off at the town, and armored his track loader A-Team style! I think it was like a little D2, but damn, new respect for the power of a little tractor!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
No sir, but I don't doubt it. That loader was going for it for sure.

Ever watch that video of the redneck that got pissed off at the town, and armored his track loader A-Team style! I think it was like a little D2, but damn, new respect for the power of a little tractor!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
As of 24hrs ago...right before our monsoon season opener. Front and rear eave trim up, sealed up misc goof holes and the building structure is about done.
2019-06-05 12.54.10.jpg

The discoloration is mostly dirt from the stacks sitting for a few years. Before inspection I'll lightly pressure wash the whole thing. For reference, the door on the right is an 8x12.

First monsoon, no roof leaks!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Here goes some real redneck fucktardery. Before I tape all the seams in the insulation, I have to cut down the wind through the place. Have to get doors up, even if not functional yet.
2019-06-06 15.45.44.jpg

Six of the eight panels for the big door. The wind started blowing pretty good, so inside posting this instead. The mechanics of getting these panels is not exactly safe...don't try this at home.
2019-06-06 15.46.33.jpg

On either side I hooked 2" ratchet straps to the header. I'll have to move them up to the girts for the next two, for the pull angle. The straps give just enough friction to help slow it down if my trusty clamps fail that are holding the tails to the iron. It's not the most efficient way, but it's functional. I lift one side at a time, and get it into position. The last two I'll have to attach using the scaffolding...this is as high as I could go standing on top of a 6ft ladder.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I dig the ingenuity and geturdun mentality.

Doworkson.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Im going home and looking at my dirt pad, and befuckinjealous. ;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Takes lotsocash to make that happen.
Oh God no...trust me. To call and have it "done" for you, it may. I don't have a ton of cash laying around. The biggest single cost was concrete, thus the selling of the '49. The guys out here charge more than Cali prices, and aren't real hungry! In your area, the wind and weather isn't a huge factor. You probably have more friends local than I do that are capable of helping on weekends as well. What took me months, 3 or 4 guys could do in a couple weekends.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I have finished a few small slabs and there is no way I would attempt to plan/dig/pour footings and finish a pad myself.

Ill stick to doing what I know and leave the rest to the people that do that everyday.

Brian

Oh God no...trust me. To call and have it "done" for you, it may. I don't have a ton of cash laying around. The biggest single cost was concrete, thus the selling of the '49. The guys out here charge more than Cali prices, and aren't real hungry! In your area, the wind and weather isn't a huge factor. You probably have more friends local than I do that are capable of helping on weekends as well. What took me months, 3 or 4 guys could do in a couple weekends.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have finished a few small slabs and there is no way I would attempt to plan/dig/pour footings and finish a pad myself.

Ill stick to doing what I know and leave the rest to the people that do that everyday.

Brian
Yessir, I paid a guy to do the concrete. Forms, rebar...not really such a big deal. Getting it flat and smooth wasn't going to happen, at least not with me in control. I also had a fear of the anchor bolts being off by a few inches. I used to do roofing, so heights and lifting don't worry me as much as they should. That said, at 42 I've had some surgeries and shouldn't be doing it. That was why I opted out of that business. This, as was put up a few posts, is a "labor of love". Everything is incremental. Once this thing passes inspection, I roll out your neck of the woods, and pick up a '32 Ford a guy has been after me to get together. This one is a quick and dirty, been parked for 30 years, get it driving. That gets done, and funds my electrical for the building. Every project car I work on, for myself or others, usually has a portion of profit set aside to further my goals. Also, never taking funds from the "Family".

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Alrighty then...
I currently have one roll up functional, and that turns out to be a good thing. The horizontal tracks make it a game of twister to tape seams. Getting things buttoned up this week. Leaving for a Father's day weekend river trip in a few. Monday I'll cross check my punch list, and call for inspection...I hope!
2019-06-13 10.53.32.jpg
2019-06-13 10.52.43.jpg

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

This post scares the shit out of me... I’m 31

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This post scares the shit out of me... I’m 31
Do what you're doing, and you should be fine. I wasn't thinking three steps ahead, and I should have. I was about your age when all that mattered was chasing paper. Look at life in it's entirety, not the wants...you'll find the wants will fall into place. Take care of your wife and kids, the rest of the crap just happens.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Do what you're doing, and you should be fine. I wasn't thinking three steps ahead, and I should have. I was about your age when all that mattered was chasing paper. Look at life in it's entirety, not the wants...you'll find the wants will fall into place. Take care of your wife and kids, the rest of the crap just happens.
Sometimes I feel like I’m addicted to work. I’ve turned into my dad, which isn’t a bad thing but my whole life I watched that man work 10-12 hours a day, six days a week. When I’m not at work I’m thinking about how I should be working. I’m not sure what’s wrong win me. That and my temper I’m not going to eat any pills or anything like that but damn i wish I could fix it. 90% of the time I’m super fun and easy going. But I can flip in an instant and get real vicious. That’s how I got the nick name. I always say I’m not like that anymore, but it takes a lot of work. It certain people. Certain people just big the shit out of me. I can be in a great mood but the second I see them or they see something I’m just irritated. It’s weird
F7243DD2-C7E7-4A31-83C8-DA0E5B58C18D.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like I’m addicted to work. I’ve turned into my dad, which isn’t a bad thing but my whole life I watched that man work 10-12 hours a day, six days a week. When I’m not at work I’m thinking about how I should be working. I’m not sure what’s wrong win me. That and my temper I’m not going to eat any pills or anything like that but damn i wish I could fix it. 90% of the time I’m super fun and easy going. But I can flip in an instant and get real vicious. That’s how I got the nick name. I always say I’m not like that anymore, but it takes a lot of work. It certain people. Certain people just big the shit out of me. I can be in a great mood but the second I see them or they see something I’m just irritated. It’s weird View attachment 764123
As odd as it may seem, check your blood pressure. My temperment has become much better. Even out here at the river, I'd snap over stupid things. For me the biggest change wasn't driven so much the hours working, the injuries or the pain, it was the loss of my Pops. He was a lot like you. Worked a lot, and made a great life for us. He was a union guy...as in elected office, the whole bit. He retired, and died of a heart attack about 2 years into his retirement. I was your age, and already had 2 young kids of my own...life F'n changed in heartbeat. My Mom had cancer at the time, she hung on for 5 years. In 2012, she passed. At that point, I chose to walk away from everything I knew, my work, the area I grew up in...
I no longer have the shiny new trucks, or newer toys. My only constant throughout this transition has been the river. Life is, or can be, what you make of it. I watched my Pops bust his ass my whole life. When the time came to finally enjoy his work, his wife of 40+ years was dying, and he was short on time as well. I cheated death once, with a car accident and breaking my neck and such. I used up all my luck, I wasn't going to push it thinking I'll have a long and happy retirement.