WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Monkeyswrench...At Last, A Real Garage

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, I called in yesterday afternoon for the county to come out and inspect the shed. They use some call in system, with no real people. It's noon now...pretty uneventful day, sitting and waiting.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wednesday went pretty darn good. The normal inspector for this area (a former animal control guy:mad:) was on vacation. Guy who showed up was a bit older, and a car guy! He had a couple questions, with easy answers...Finaled. Aside from the tax assesor lady, done with county. I really should be using time to get the other doors finished, but I couldn't resist a little decorating.
First off...
2019-06-21 19.44.12.jpg
a little wall decor!

...and then two pieces I've had stashed in a horse trailer. Felt bad doing it. So, out of guilt they were first tools to move in.
2019-06-21 19.45.06.jpg
A wonderful experience. It would seem I was much stonger when I put them in the trailer! Dragging the shear out of that trailer was a bitch. Tipped it up on to the lip of the tractor bucket and then slid off onto pad. 4x4'ed and fulcrumed it high enough to get on the dollies.

More to come, but may be a little bit. Scattered the trans in my Dodge, so extra coin headed that way pretty soon. Have to balance wants and needs;)

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
This is badass!! And I bet you're super excited, I know I would be. Lots of hard labor but completely worth it in the end. Kinda jealous actually..lol

Congrats man!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This is badass!! And I bet you're super excited, I know I would be. Lots of hard labor but completely worth it in the end. Kinda jealous actually..lol

Congrats man!!
it's been an asskicker. Of course, this had been the most extreme winter here since we moved. Lots of snow hanging around and then tons of mud. For the most part, I've just been a mercenary mechanic since I moved up here. Good and bad. Good part, I could work on it when the weather was good. Bad part, been working on this, and not making much money. Towards these past few days though, was feeling pretty proud of myself. I'm 42, had a bunch of neck and back surgeries, and two neurosurgeons 14 years ago told me I would only have limited use of my left arm and weakness in my legs. They severely underestimated my stubbornness...as does my wife sometimes!

HitIt

Reaction score
I cant f'n believe that you put than damn thing up by yourself. That is super impressive. You should be incredibly proud.

That is some serious cubic footage. Very interested to see how you take advantage of the vertical space.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I cant f'n believe that you put than damn thing up by yourself. That is super impressive. You should be incredibly proud.

That is some serious cubic footage. Very interested to see how you take advantage of the vertical space.
Thank you! I'm pretty proud of it so far, but still have to keep rolling.

The vertical space does have a purpose;) This will be kind of hard to describe, but hopefully you'll get the gist of it. Obviously, at least one rack. I think the first rack will be a portable 4 post. They aren't that expensive anymore, and will allow me to shift things around if I don't like it. The rearmost 10ish feet will be mezzanine. The lower portion will (eventually) be where I want to put a bathroom, and a cleanroom or storage room. The upper area will be an office area. This will primarily be an area sealed off from the dust and fumes of the shop area, a place for both a table and chairs, and my drafting table. I have found that if I can draw it, I can make it. Lots of paper in the trash, but better than steel scrap. The area directly behind the big bay door will probably never get a lift. That will be work area, and sometimes projects can be big. With the width of the building, I could very easily have two major long term projects, and still maintain enough space for fabrication or quicker projects.

Long term stuff. At least for now I have a lid. As I am able to do more, it will allow me to ad more. Stubborn, persistent...not so bright? It'll get there!

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm pretty proud of it so far, but still have to keep rolling.

The vertical space does have a purpose;) This will be kind of hard to describe, but hopefully you'll get the gist of it. Obviously, at least one rack. I think the first rack will be a portable 4 post. They aren't that expensive anymore, and will allow me to shift things around if I don't like it. The rearmost 10ish feet will be mezzanine. The lower portion will (eventually) be where I want to put a bathroom, and a cleanroom or storage room. The upper area will be an office area. This will primarily be an area sealed off from the dust and fumes of the shop area, a place for both a table and chairs, and my drafting table. I have found that if I can draw it, I can make it. Lots of paper in the trash, but better than steel scrap. The area directly behind the big bay door will probably never get a lift. That will be work area, and sometimes projects can be big. With the width of the building, I could very easily have two major long term projects, and still maintain enough space for fabrication or quicker projects.

Long term stuff. At least for now I have a lid. As I am able to do more, it will allow me to ad more. Stubborn, persistent...not so bright? It'll get there!

Looks great Kevin
I gotta get over there and check it out soon.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Looks great Kevin
I gotta get over there and check it out soon.
Thanks! I'm rolling out to the river Monday morning...meeting up with the wife and kids. 19th anniversary! From there, I'm headed out Friday morning to Sonoma to meet up with my brother and clean out my late aunt and uncle's storage. At least I'll get a few days of downtime with my family first.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Made some more head way. Slow rolling, but still progress. The big door is/was an asskicker. 4 econo-size springs to wind. It's still heavy, but stops where you leave it. Going to end up putting a 4:1 chain hoist on it, but it works for now.
2019-07-23 07.35.58.jpg

I also moved in one of my rollcabs...not fun. Drawer by drawer, pulled and carried, layed out. Rolled the empty shell across dirt and gravel to get it over. Still heavy, even empty!
2019-07-23 07.36.51.jpg

...and I needed some sort of light. No official power yet, so not really up to code. I had picked up some "high bay" lights from craigslist last year. I hung one by a chain in the middle, and one will get me by for now.
2019-07-23 07.34.46.jpg

Shadows are pretty harsh, but very workable for now.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Thanks! I think by August I was going pretty good. I put in a sub panel, but my lighting still has the one light:(. I have the others, but timing is an issue to clear projects and run wire. I still only have 2 gang boxes setup, and 110 only. Need a whole bunch of conduit. With the temps in the mid 20's overnight, I turn on a kerosene torpedo about 7, and get working about 8. So far, put together a crusty 32 roadster, an old 29 sport coupe and working on a 32 pickup for a guy in Cali. Various other smaller projects as well. It helps offset the cost spent on the building, and aupplements the household...with a 2 minute walk. Been wanting to do this for a long time. Couldn't afford to in Cali, or was working too much...had the income, but was never home.
I'm so jealous and happy for you!