WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Monsoon about to hit north havasu

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Been watching it build up. Looks like it’s about to hit havasu in the north.
5346C230-BB9A-476D-A124-2EF12B2EEB60.jpeg

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Northern side of town has significant lightning and wind but still dry as can be.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Yeah but still dry

Yeach you are right. The rains were south west of town. Just went out on the last bit thunder and the elderly neighbors were out. I went over to be sure and they noted no big deal because it is not raining. LOL..

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Raining in Parker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Wasn’t in parker or havasu but got hit with rain and lighting on lake san Vincente down in San Diego today! Fun times!
Saw that a little earlier in the day. The dome worked it's magic in Havasu again for the most part, lightning and wind in the South end no h2o.:(

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
Someone is having a rough Monday. Damn

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Looks like the sides were sheeted, I always figured they were pretty stable after that. Like to hear more.

franky

Reaction score
I wonder if they had Course Of Construction Insurance. Plumbing and Electrical was in, that is going to hurt. I guess I just don't see the shear panels...

Hammer

Reaction score

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
That’s gonna be expensive. It’s not sheathed. That detail at the roof line is just for stucco. I wonder if they can salvage the trusses and roof and the floor.

DC-88

Reaction score
Damn that sucks to see. It's hard enough to get lumber package and framers once let alone 2x on the same job. Plus the rough ins that appear to be started are focked . Tall sheets were probably backordered needed to shear it and they had it kicked off inside with random braces from plumb and line which wasn't enough given the monsoon factor.....

just_floatin

Reaction score
This occurred at a build site in Maricopa after a monsoon. Surprisingly the following day some of the trusses were back in place. Must be common practice in the industry.
E9415338-F8F2-4187-81C8-26DC2D5A79B8.jpeg

4Waters

Reaction score
That’s horrible. Hard to believe the structural would topple that far along?

That same shit happened to my uncle when he was building his house in Vegas 38 years ago. The winds blew the house over after framing was done but it was still open, no sheeting yet except the roof.

hallett21

Reaction score
Trusses looked busted on the right hand side.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I wonder if they had Course Of Construction Insurance. Plumbing and Electrical was in, that is going to hurt. I guess I just don't see the shear panels...
This is just down street from me , was just there and saw an insurance guy surveying damage

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
ok so here is the deal I went and look at it and officials showed up while I was there
The reason we see no plywood shear or strong wall is that this was designed as all internal DRYWALL SHEAR, some one tried to cheap out and some how got it to calculate out (engineer should be shot) entire 1st story should have been plywood shear 6"edge 12" field, 2nd thing that happened although diagonal bracing was there some of it appears to be ripped out, I am going to guess by the rough in subs. It's the GC's responsibility to make sure the job site is safe at all times and apparently this did not happen.
so it's NOT THE FRAMERS FAULT they did what the plans said to do, This is going to fall back as negligence against the CG is my educated guess and the engineer is going to have a few questions to answer as well. I would bet heavily that this GC's days are over in Havasu as this is a PUBLIC SAFETY issue that can't be ignored, can you imagine what would have happened if children had been playing in there :mad:

Hammer

Reaction score
ok so here is the deal I went and look at it and officials showed up while I was there
The reason we see no plywood shear or strong wall is that this was designed as all internal DRYWALL SHEAR, some one tried to cheap out and some how got it to calculate out (engineer should be shot) entire 1st story should have been plywood shear 6"edge 12" field, 2nd thing that happened although diagonal bracing was there some of it appears to be ripped out, I am going to guess by the rough in subs. It's the GC's responsibility to make sure the job site is safe at all times and apparently this did not happen.
so it's NOT THE FRAMERS FAULT they did what the plans said to do, This is going to fall back as negligence against the CG is my educated guess and the engineer is going to have a few questions to answer as well. I would bet heavily that this GC's days are over in Havasu as this is a PUBLIC SAFETY issue that can't be ignored, can you imagine what would have happened if children had been playing in there :mad:

all great points! let me know where to apply to be an approved vendor :D

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, was this an apartment complex?

attitude

Reaction score
Is it possible to estimate how much money was planned on being saved while trying to build it the wrong way?

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Is it possible to estimate how much money was planned on being saved while trying to build it the wrong way?
sure to have sheathed the entire first floor (my way) looks like 100 sheets of plywood and maybe $500 in hardware, or to have been structurally sound = min code requirement would have been just about 24 sheets for each floor. seems like a drop in the bucket to what looks like $500k or more in damage 🥴

attitude

Reaction score
sure to have sheathed the entire first floor (my way) looks like 100 sheets of plywood and maybe $500 in hardware, or to have been structurally sound = min code requirement would have been just about 24 sheets for each floor. seems like a drop in the bucket to what looks like $500k or more in damage 🥴
The risk versus reward does not pencil out…

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
In are area walls DO NOT even get stood until the OSB is on!! Even if its not a shear wall they still get OSB or a "let in" brace. We do some "IBP's"(interior brace panels) but very few as they dont do shit!!

That is basically a complete loss. Would cost more to try and salvage than to rebuild! The trusses are fukt along with the floor joist.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Drywall shear....that’s a first for me lol.

California = CBC eliminated it long ago, IRC and IBC still allow it depending on your wind and seismic zones, I still use it in addition to ply, but use it along with resilient channel to stop drywall cracking in the RV garages, it just tightens up the nailing/screw schedule and j-bolts a bit, so a extra box of screws and a couple of j-bolts per home is cheap insurance for the GC's not to have to return to fix cracks.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

How did something like this get past plan check at the city? No matter what the structural engineer designed and stamped, the building needs to meet current building code to be issued a building permit. There is no approved shear value for drywall.