WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Montana LLC

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 5th wheel today. We have been looking and this is a pretty good deal I found last night. (Paying Cash)

Only thing is my LLC in MT hasn’t been set up yet.

Question is can I put my name on the bill of sale for the time being and then send it to my lawyer next week to be put in my LLC’s name? Or maybe the guy will be cool and I’ll give him a deposit until the LLC is complete. And then we can finalize the deal.

Also the RV is in CA now does the deal have to be done out of state?

Our LLC took about an hr to set up. Leave a deposit on the RV set up the LLC Monday then buy the RV Tuesday.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Montana LLC?

Looking at Motorhomes and fingers crossed we found one and hoping to pick it up soon. The seller provided me with a contact to set up an LLC to register the new rig- It would have a Montana license plate and I would avoid the heavy California tax and registration fees. My question is- is it worth it? Sounds great to save a few thousand dollars however on the flip side I dont want to be pulled over on my way home from Havasu or the desert because my tow vehicle, trailer, or boat have a CA plate. I have heard that the CHP is onto this and since it pays their salaries- they may be more inclined to pull you over for something stupid.

Has anyone gone through the process and had any experience or issues being pulled over?
If it was a motorhome I would have no problem with the Montana llc and plating it but with a trailer your rig has to also be plated in Montana when traveling through Cali or a few other states so they leave you alone....every agency knows these rigs are not legally licensed in the state when they see different plates on tow vehicle.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
If it was a motorhome I would have no problem with the Montana llc and plating it but with a trailer your rig has to also be plated in Montana when traveling through Cali or a few other states so they leave you alone....every agency knows these rigs are not legally licensed in the state when they see different plates on tow vehicle.

So they know, but what are they going to do? it’s like towing my boat with ca plates and AZ Reg.

PaPaG

Reaction score
So they know, but what are they going to do? it’s like towing my boat with ca plates and AZ Reg.
I have heard the Chippies love to ticket for that from a lot of Cali boat owners with out of state boats...Nevada can also site if the LEO is in a bad mood and wants to kill some time. Even that would not stop me from doing it, we were about to pull the trigger on a Montana LLC when we bought our trailer but decided saving a few hundred bucks was not worth the chance, on a big ticket item I would still do it though.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I do have a second option besides an LLC.

I can put my name on the sewer bill (Utility) of a relatives home in MT and then use that address for my RV registration.

Good idea or bad?

Singleton

Reaction score
I have heard the Chippies love to ticket for that from a lot of Cali boat owners with out of state boats...Nevada can also site if the LEO is in a bad mood and wants to kill some time. Even that would not stop me from doing it, we were about to pull the trigger on a Montana LLC when we bought our trailer but decided saving a few hundred bucks was not worth the chance, on a big ticket item I would still do it though.

CA can’t ticket if boat has AZ registration. Boat registration is supposed to be based on state boat is in the water the most.
Tickets occur when trailer has AZ plates and tow vehicle has CA plates.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

site for what? Is there anything in the penal code to site for this? Besides ticketing for another offense if the officer was upset that you tried to limit you tax liability?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I do have a second option besides an LLC.

I can put my name on the sewer bill (Utility) of a relatives home in MT and then use that address for my RV registration.

Good idea or bad?

mike I’m doing the same thing, just my trailer is not done till the end of September and will be registered in my LLC. The truck will be in 2 yrs once paid off.
My father has had his mohome in his LLC for years and tows his jeep or f-150 with cali plates all over the us. No issues.

braindead

Reaction score

Can you ask what they're citing people for?

HBCraig

Reaction score
Not sure about others but I have a few customers that have their businesses in Montana.

Regarding the delivery of my cranes. The cranes need to be delivered to Montana by a third party carrier. Two fold..... my customers cannot take possession in California or they will be forced to pay the CA taxes. We gave to file the paperwork accordingly. Second, the delivery address needs to state the Montana address the paperwork needs to read that

boatpi

Reaction score
My PI business has been a Montana LLC for 17 years, very private too. I can register any car to my business, I advise my insurance
Agent and they insure me and the vehicle accordingly. No biggie for me. My daily drivers are registered in CA and Nevada.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
mike I’m doing the same thing, just my trailer is not done till the end of September and will be registered in my LLC. The truck will be in 2 yrs once paid off.
My father has had his mohome in his LLC for years and tows his jeep or f-150 with cali plates all over the us. No issues.

Hopefully the deal goes down tomorrow. Set up the LLC Monday and pay the man Tuesday.

Are you picking your trailer up out of state or taking delivery in CA?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Hopefully the deal goes down tomorrow. Set up the LLC Monday and pay the man Tuesday.

Are you picking your trailer up out of state or taking delivery in CA?

Out of CA as the dealer is in AZ.
I’m not an expert, but it shouldn’t matter as you sign the deal in your LLC name and send the title over to the agency.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I think that would fall under the CVC, California Vehicle Code, not necessarily the penal code. Although I'm sure someone could make a penal violation apply as well, fraud or something of a similar sort. But i doubt that's what CHP is using to enforce. They are likely enforcing a vehicle code such as CVC 4152.5 that has a time frame to register an out of state vehcile in the state. There is also a cvc code section that says if you have a california license its presumed you're a resident of the state.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Just finished our deal on a RV. Bennett took care of us. Yes there are several lenders that will do loans for an LLC. The lawyers have list of them, we used a company out of Florida, we didn’t borrow much, but the rate wasn’t to bad if you had to borrow a lot.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Someone suggested to me to put a small rental house I own under an LLC. The problem was they were not really sure of the benefits vs risks, they "just heard from a realtor that that might be a good idea to do". What do the inmates say about doing this with a house?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Someone suggested to me to put a small rental house I own under an LLC. The problem was they were not really sure of the benefits vs risks, they "just heard from a realtor that that might be a good idea to do". What do the inmates say about doing this with a house?

I’m a fan of LLCs so long as you run them as separate and legitimate businesses.

There’s an adage:
Own nothing.
Control everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Not registering the vehicle in CA. If an out of state LLC owns the out of state vehicle, the cop can certainly give you a ticket that you can easily fight and win. The cop does not know anything about the LLC, so as long as you have a back story, what is he really going to do?

I don’t know why everyone is so scared of this.

“I store my RV/Trailer/Boat in (insert state here) officer and have it here for just a few days. I’d be breaking (insert state)’s law by registering it in CA since it spends more of its time there, and is only going to be in CA a few days.”

You can easily use that line on the side of the road with a trailer you own. What can the cop say? Sure maybe you get a ticket, either pay the fine or fight it and move on.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
Not registering the vehicle in CA. If an out of state LLC owns the out of state vehicle, the cop can certainly give you a ticket that you can easily fight and win. The cop does not know anything about the LLC, so as long as you have a back story, what is he really going to do?

I don’t know why everyone is so scared of this.

“I store my RV/Trailer/Boat in (insert state here) officer and have it here for just a few days. I’d be breaking (insert state)’s law by registering it in CA since it spends more of its time there, and is only in CA a few days.”

Draw up a rental contract. Done deal. No different than renting a uhaul legally

gmnhra

Reaction score
The fancy phrase I was told to use is "the boat/trailer/moho is domiciled in AZ (MT whatever) and is only being transported in CA for service and/or temporary purposes"

The rental contract is brilliant....I ran this by my MT LLC guy and he agrees

PlanB

Reaction score
The fancy phrase I was told to use is "the boat/trailer/moho is domiciled in AZ (MT whatever) and is only being transported in CA for service and/or temporary purposes"

The rental contract is brilliant....I ran this by my MT LLC guy and he agrees

You would need to buy a temporary pass from the DMV to be legal. I bought one for an AZ plated car that I was taking from SoCal to Havasu. It was good for one day.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
Who are you using to insure your trailer listed under your LLC. I have everything through Farmers and they just told me they cannot.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Who are you using to insure your trailer listed under your LLC. I have everything through Farmers and they just told me they cannot.

Geico for the cars trucks RV and trailer, State Farm for the boats, all will issue a Montana insurance card

boatpi

Reaction score
For unusual vehicles or exotic cars American modern insurance has fabulous rates and an LLC is no problem

Hdgasser

Reaction score
The people that have registered boats to MT, did you do the boat trailer too? Or did that stay in AZ?

Im taking delivery of my new boat next weekend and dunno if I should keep the trailer in Az or not?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Been a few years but read the fine print with regard to how many days the coach can be in CA during the early part of the LLC licensing period. Also should talk about keeping fuel and camping/grocery receipts proving the periods that the coach is out of the state.

If you keep the coach for 15 years, you can apply for a permanent tag.

Of course, I have ZERO first hand knowledge of these things...

:D
Reg in ut I’ll send you all the receipts you want fuel food whatever 😎

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
The people that have registered boats to MT, did you do the boat trailer too? Or did that stay in AZ?

Im taking delivery of my new boat next weekend and dunno if I should keep the trailer in Az or not?
Both boat and trailer and the truck I tow them with is MT

intense

Reaction score
So what company is everyone using? I would like to do my truck, toy hauler, and another vehicle what are the expected costs?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
So what company is everyone using? I would like to do my truck, toy hauler, and another vehicle what are the expected costs?

Are they paid for? It’s about 1k to set it up, takes about 30 min.

My father and I both have one.

Action Services.

boatpi

Reaction score
One very different part of MT law
Is there is no VIN verification.
You just mail in the signed off title and bill of sale, wait 3 weeks for the new title. Fees are
Low and never any sales tax
Even in new vehicles that will use an MSO with a bill of sale to your LLC. All LLC names and the MT address must match. Remember if it is high dollar car over 200k new they have a new $700 extra fee on yearly registration fees as of 2019.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Vehicles with msrp 150k and up is $825

Mohome’s that have a msrp of 300k and up is $800

again it’s not what you paid, it’s msrp.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have used Bennett Law in Missoula for nearly 20 years. Great firm, great customer service. I don’t have the number handy but if you google Bennett law Missoula they will come up.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
I use Bennett Law as well and agree they are great to deal with. I have my new Mommentum and RZR registered and plated in MT.

gmnhra

Reaction score
I have used Bennett Law in Missoula for nearly 20 years. Great firm, great customer service. I don’t have the number handy but if you google Bennett law Missoula they will come up.
Bennett also
no muss..no fuss

intense

Reaction score
How many use the LLC just to get around the smog laws in California?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Every single thing we own vehicle/toy wise is in that LLC. Also made things simple for estate reasons. Costs vary with what you want to do and what you buy/own. Flathead county has no county tax, some counties do. We now own property in beaverhead county...but no point in changing it. For what they charge its worth avoiding the hassle. They are super fast, and fed ex everything. There is an online portal you do everything through. We just have a card on file so we don't have any delays.

We all have Hawaii DL's so there is no way we could "register" things on the mainland at home. We just renew our licenses when there or by mail. If we get stopped that's the exact thing I tell them.

Last edited:

boatpi

Reaction score
The LLC, although "$49 LLC Montana Registration" may do a package deal.