WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Montana/Wyoming RV Trip Advice

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Hey All...

We are staying at Yellowstone RV Park at Mack's Inn (hope it's nice...never been there) in Island Park, Idaho in June for a week. Yellowstone, hiking, fishing and so on. We will be towing our Traverse so day tripping with that and our motorhome will be our homebase...no motorhome in Yellowstone, etc. We are looking at extending and I would like to jump over to the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore hitting some spots in Montana along the way (Missoula, Butte, Bozeman, Billings, etc.).

Anyone have any advice, feedback, guidance on any spots, routes, places to avoid, don't miss spots, etc.? We have been to Yellowstone previously about 20 years ago but it was by car and we stayed in Henry's Lake, Idaho. We have gone cross-country twice in our motorhome but this our first in it up this way.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Hey All...

We are staying at Yellowstone RV Park at Mack's Inn (hope it's nice...never been there) in Island Park, Idaho in June for a week. Yellowstone, hiking, fishing and so on. We will be towing our Traverse so day tripping with that and our motorhome will be our homebase...no motorhome in Yellowstone, etc. We are looking at extending and I would like to jump over to the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore hitting some spots in Montana along the way (Missoula, Butte, Bozeman, Billings, etc.).

Anyone have any advice, feedback, guidance on any spots, routes, places to avoid, don't miss spots, etc.? We have been to Yellowstone previously about 20 years ago but it was by car and we stayed in Henry's Lake, Idaho. We have gone cross-country twice in our motorhome but this our first in it up this way.

Thanks in advance!

Doug
I just looked at that RV park. Isnt it like 5 hours away from the YS entrance?

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Hell I hope not...I have 30 min to the West Yellowstone entrance.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Hell I hope not...I have 30 min to the West Yellowstone entrance.
Must have been another one I looked at. Yellowstone is in a lot of their names

You will have a lot of choices out in SD to stay at and explore the Black Hills. You can stay in Sturgis and ride to all those places. Check out around Hill City and Key Stone to be closer to the park. Lots of cool parks thru all the BHs as well

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
My Moho is a 32 ft. gasser and like I said we have gone back East twice. Mostly flat overall, I40, I10 and the southern routes. I am looking at coming back down I25 from Mt. Rushmore (going up I15 to Yellowstone). How bad are the hills on I25? Obviously I know that Denver is the Mile High City for a reason but...how bad?

Thanks!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
You will be fine on I25. There is a pretty gradual elevation all along the 25 from S to N if I remember correctly. Nothing to worry about.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I just booked us in at the Valley View RV Park in Island Park, 10 minutes down the road from your RV park, for June 27-July 2. When are you going? I was going to start a thread and then saw yours.

My parents just officially retired and are making their way West next month in their new RV 5th wheel. They will go North out of Vegas in early June and we will catch up to them later in June. I've got 2 weeks to see some cool stuff, and we've already booked 6 days at this park outside of Yellowstone. When we are done here, we'll head home, but I still have to find stuff to do for the previous 9 days.

I was looking at maybe staying around the Jackson area for a few days and checking out the Grand Tetons. I was also looking at basing out of Ennis MT and checking out the Lewis & Clark Caverns, Virginia City, head back to my old stomping grounds Bozeman, then finally to visit my other work facility that I haven't been back to since 1997 in Belgrade, MT. I figure we could kill 2-3 days up there as well.

After going through Dave and Stacy's post about their Johnson Family vacation, I'm also looking at the Lava Hot Springs area. Looks like some tubing and Craters of the Moon National Park is right there. Still trying to make a plan as only the 6 days is booked. We haven't even decided on what stuff we want to see in Yellowstone. The parentals are late 65 and 70, so "hiking" is likely out of the question.

ETA: I started my own thread so as not to hijack yours.

Last edited: