WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

More Carbon Fiber and Aluminum Fab - RZR Spare Fuel Tank

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Made this spare Fuel tank for RZR. Putting my box brake to use, it should hold about 8-9 gallons.

After measuring out the size i pre-brake the pan that forms the majority of the tank, These slight bends add a ton of rigidity to the tank.
01.jpg

Fold the Pan into shape and tack the sides to check fit.
02.jpg

Tack the lid
03.jpg

All welded up
04.jpg

Machined some pegs that drop into the RZR's bed holes and weld them on
05.jpg

06.jpg

Tank is substantially bigger than a 5 gallon jug
07.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
After prepping the car by covering all affected areas to mold with clear packing tape and release plastic i precut the carbon sheets that make up the foundation of the part
08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

All laminated in place and covered in peel-ply
11.jpg

Front edges tucked around the front edge of tank to secure it
12.jpg

Some small pieces of coring to fill those front tank tucks in preparation for the final layers to make a nice smooth transition, not a water pocket.

13.jpg

Foam core ribs epoxied down to create a rigid part
14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
All the core ribs are epoxied, filleted, and faired.
17.jpg

18.jpg

Final laminations applied to top and covered in peel ply
19.jpg

20.jpg

Cured and rough trimmed to check fit and mark out the final profile in the car
21.jpg

Hold down points all drilled and profile cut
22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Hold downs use stock location and keep the entire part held tight to the plastic
25.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
This part weighs about maybe 3 lbs, and a 200lbs guy can stand on it and jump and it doesn't budge.

Now i can tough up all the little epoxy pin holes and give it a final sand, flow coat, and clear.

lenmann

Reaction score
Made this spare Fuel tank for RZR. Putting my box brake to use, it should hold about 8-9 gallons.

After measuring out the size i pre-brake the pan that forms the majority of the tank, These slight bends add a ton of rigidity to the tank.
View attachment 1086717

View attachment 1086718

Tack the lid
View attachment 1086719

All welded up
View attachment 1086720

View attachment 1086721
View attachment 1086722

View attachment 1086723
Really nice work, as always, thanks for posting it up. The make stuff geek in me wants to know how the box brake is used to create the cross brake diamond stiffeners in the tank panels? I can imagine how the first bend happens but why doesn't the second bend "un-do" the first when you clamp it in the brake?

Do you worry about carrying 9 gallons of fuel right on top of that really hot catalyst motor?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Really nice work, as always, thanks for posting it up. The make stuff geek in me wants to know how the box brake is used to create the cross brake diamond stiffeners in the tank panels? I can imagine how the first bend happens but why doesn't the second bend "un-do" the first when you clamp it in the brake?

Do you worry about carrying 9 gallons of fuel right on top of that really hot catalyst motor?

The second brake doesn't undo the first one because it never exceeds the yield point of the first brake, basically the spring point of the metal.

No cat under there and its really well shielded from heat, ive never had heat problems in the bed and know plenty of guys that carry plastic jugs back there? Tank will be vented up and around the cage in case of a rollover, fully sealed fill cap.

This tank is not connected into the fuel system at all, it's just a carrier, and it will be syphon only, and only put in the car when long rides are in order. Basically it's a fancy jerry can that is easy to secure, safe, and holds enough fuel to do a full refuel, No need for baffles as it will only ever get fully drained, and even if gas does slosh it's not going to harm anything any worse than sloshing in a plastic jug.

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
That came out really nice, super functional and it looks really cool.

What were the design thoughts on the size and height of the ribs?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
That came out really nice, super functional and it looks really cool.

What were the design thoughts on the size and height of the ribs?

The ribs size was just based on the foam core i had to use. I didn't want to core the whole thing, basically just trying to extend stiffness from the car's frame to each of the ends and center. Core basically creates stiffness.

The ribs are essentially just core material, like balsa in a floor. The separation of 2 laminate layers by core adds a ton of strength by forcing one side to take loads as tension.

This thing is stupid strong, i can jump on it with absolutely no fear of it breaking, before the core it was flimsy like poster board. Now you can't make it flex.

Bugginout

Reaction score
Dude you are one talented human being! I always appreciate the stuff you post up.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 1086717

View attachment 1086718

Tack the lid
View attachment 1086719

All welded up
View attachment 1086720

View attachment 1086721
View attachment 1086722

View attachment 1086723

Bigger and safer too. Cool project! 👍🏼