WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

More Cheap Off Road Radio Hacks!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The FCC has cracked down on the "programmed" mobile radio deal. And if you need a new radio you end up having to pay for extra software and program yourself, or pay some third party for the programming. The 60+watt radios are more powerful radios but are also hundreds of dollars. If you just want to talk with your people out in the dirt over a few miles of distance, and save a few bucks, this 25 watt radio might be for you.

I can't take full credit for this one as I read about bits and pieces of it so I bought another product and experimented with a similar method, and luckily it worked. So I'm just passing it along but what you end up with is a fully functional off road radio that is intercom ready, waterproof, and no programing software to buy. Rugged makes all kinds of mounts for this radio, so you can put it in almost anything easily.

If you want a radio you can use WITH and intercom this is for you. If you don't need the intercom you can buy these on Amazon without the intercom dongle.

What we are doing is taking a Rugged Radios 25Watt waterproof GMRS mobile radio (Part # GMR25) locked down to 16 GMRS channels only, and flashing it with different firmware to completely unlock it to transmit and listen on a wider frequency spectrum.

It is on sale now for $157. You will need some sort of antenna and antenna cable as well. Don't buy the GMRS antenna from Rugged, because we aren't transmitting on just GMRS anymore.

Buy this $11 cable to program your radio

Go to the TYT support website and download 2 things -

Your computer will likely freak out and tell you that you are going to die if you install the firmware and software. go ahead and tell it you want to proceed anyway.

Install the firmware open the included firmware file in the firmware tool, rig up some way to get your radio 12V power, follow the instructions for the firmware tool, and 2 minutes later you will have an unlocked, unprogrammed radio.

Now install the software and you can program your radio. If you get this far, I can send you a program file with all the popular frequencies, and in another 30 seconds you'll be done.

Or you can program the radio yourself like this:
Select Channel in RED
Type your frequency in GREEN, click or hit enter and the rest of the fields will populate
Type your frequency name in BLUE

Capture.JPG

And ultimately you end with a fully configured radio like this

7BA27645-302F-4907-A506-0E1C284F8CC9.jpeg

DE856999-6C84-40DA-A015-4670408C2019.jpeg

*You are only legal to transmit if you are licensed*

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Rugged just rebadges someone else radio FYI.

Correct, that is why this works. Put the original radio's firmware in the Rugged branded one, and you get a open, unlocked radio.

What you get with Rugged is the plug and play dongle for the intercom. If you don't need an intercom, you just buy a TYT TH-8600 and skip all this noise.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Correct, that is why this works. Put the original radio's firmware in the Rugged branded one, and you get a open, unlocked radio.

What you get with Rugged is the plug and play dongle for the intercom. If you don't need an intercom, you just buy a TYT TH-8600 and skip all this noise.
Funny you bring this up. I just added several radios to my watchlist today and was gonna ask you if you think they are programmable as you describe here.
Something along these lines or baofang or similar.
Screenshot_20210921-150235_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20210921-150215_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Does the Rugged you posted have intercom built in?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Funny you bring this up. I just added several radios to my watchlist today and was gonna ask you if you think they are programmable as you describe here.
Something along these lines or baofang or similar.
View attachment 1052015 View attachment 1052016
Does the Rugged you posted have intercom built in?

No the Rugged does have the intercom built in, but it plugs right into one. Rugged also makes a really nice little $300 intercom with integrated PTT buttons and bluetooth music, if you wanted to go that route. Any of those GMRS radios you linked are gonna be locked out of transmitting with friends using the popular "offroad" channels.

CHIRP is a free programming software that is really good. The radio we are speaking about here (Rugged GMR25/ TYT TH-8600) is not supported by it, But the manufacture has the free software for it I reference in my post. The TYT software is just OK, it is a little clunky to use. CHIRP again is really awesome and easy to use. This radio (Rugged GMR25/ TYT TH-8600) is nice because it is waterproof (supposedly) and Rugged makes all kinds of mounts for it to easily mount it in your RZR.

If it were me, I would get something off of the CHIRP compatible list because
1. You will be able to get a programming cable for it,
2. You will be able to program it.

An exception would be this radio (Rugged GMR25/ TYT TH-8600) because it is one of the only waterproof models available.

Here is the TYT TH-8600 (standard version of this Rugged radio), it includes the programming cable. This will not plug into an intercom however.

Another 25 Watt radio I recommend, and this is the one I use in my RZR with an intercom dongle is the QYT KT-8900. This one is slightly bigger than a pack of cards and works with CHIRP.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not built in per-se but it has a port that allows you tp hook up to a rugged intercom with no special adapters or jankiness.
Correct.

@Ziggy this is the intercom cable Rugged, PCI, etc add to their radios

E562CF2F-99D7-41B9-B919-01CD73D83766.jpeg

Attaches to intercom like this

BC2C0F83-8729-4BE9-A817-CA9B41FB4E0E.jpeg

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
So for those of us that have the old Baoefeng handheld with the channels programmed into it (we pass it around the group to the people that don't have radios) do we need to be concerned about the FCC?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So for those of us that have the old Baoefeng handheld with the channels programmed into it (we pass it around the group to the people that don't have radios) do we need to be concerned about the FCC?

From a legal perspective you need a HAM license GMRS License to transmit on any of those offroad or GMRS channels anyway. You can listen to anything you want, so if anyone asks you were listening.

In practice, out in the desert, no one is going to care, especially with the little 5 watt handhelds. Take care to stay off emergency channels though.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Does that allow you to use your headset or helmet w/ptt to operate C2C radio?

Yes exactly. The intercom allows you to talk to other passengers freely with helmets or headsets. The PTT allows C2C radio via the same the helmets and headsets.

You don't have to use a Rugged intercom, you can mix and match most of the brands of intercom/radio.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
So basically what you are telling me is me and my BIL's walkie talkies we got at home depot and added earpieces to are not up to par with what we should be running as far as coms? LOL 😂

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So basically what you are telling me is me and my BIL's walkie talkies we got at home depot and added earpieces to are not up to par with what we should be running as far as coms? LOL 😂

LoL, hey whatever works for you is fine!

You can get the little $20 Baofeng handhelds. They work well and they make every accessory in the world for them, they are just 5 watts

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
LoL, hey whatever works for you is fine!

You can get the little $20 Baofeng handhelds. They work well and they make every accessory in the world for them, they are just 5 watts

LOL I know just messing. We've been thinking of getting these Rugged radios. If we do we will go this route, seems pretty cheap.

The walkie talkies actually work ok if your ok with communications that have static and poor sound. But they actually do work. LOL . I think I got ripped off though, we each paid $60 for a pair, when we could have gotten cheaper ones online.

Nordie

Reaction score
The FCC says that's against the rules, especially on high power.

I might know a guy that can help with legally programming rebranded radios.

Baofengs are not gonna live too long in that type of environment.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The FCC says that's against the rules, especially on high power.

I might know a guy that can help with legally programming rebranded radios.

Baofengs are not gonna live too long in that type of environment.

Yea they can last a few seasons. If you put them in a padded pouch they do well. If you throw them in the cup holder... not so much. A season of that and it will be cooked.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
LOL I know just messing. We've been thinking of getting these Rugged radios. If we do we will go this route, seems pretty cheap.

The walkie talkies actually work ok if your ok with communications that have static and poor sound. But they actually do work. LOL . I think I got ripped off though, we each paid $60 for a pair, when we could have gotten cheaper ones online.

I don't know what your end goals are but if you need some pointers let me know. If you don't want to run an intercom for in car communications, there are lots of cheap options.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
All these radios only work line of site. 5 Watts or 50 watts. The quality of the radio helps tremendously. Those boefucks are just a chip on a board and not a true FM transceiver however how far are you ever away from your buddy? They are generally narrow band which makes things shorten up even more. Their price point, shit buy a case.

We jeep and don't hall ass often so a regular GMRS setup works fine. 50W vehicle mounted unit and hand helds to explore with. This way We all have coms. It just may be a little difficult to hike up a hill to get LOS with your femur poking out.

Ashley if you ever want to come by I can show you what researched and invested in. I can talk from here at my casa to the 405 and Magnolia on 5 watts. No Repeater.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
All these radios only work line of site. 5 Watts or 50 watts. The quality of the radio helps tremendously. Those boefucks are just a chip on a board and not a true FM transceiver however how far are you ever away from your buddy? They are generally narrow band which makes things shorten up even more. Their price point, shit buy a case.

We jeep and don't hall ass often so a regular GMRS setup works fine. 50W vehicle mounted unit and hand helds to explore with. This way We all have coms. It just may be a little difficult to hike up a hill to get LOS with your femur poking out.

Ashley if you ever want to come by I can show you what I'm into. I can talk from here at my casa to the 405 and Magnolia on 5 watts. No Repeater.

Agreed. I’ll have to swing by Dave! We’ve been able to do a couple mile range in canyons and stuff in Havasu, way more on the flat areas obviously.

That is a similar setup to what I have in the RZR. I have the in car radio and always carry a handheld for exploring or emergencies. It’s China stuff though not super high end.

I was able to talk to a @Bpracing1127 with a baofeng from my house to he was right under 2 miles as the crow flies. I know they aren’t the best, but for $20 I can’t complain a bit.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Agreed. I’ll have to swing by Dave! We’ve been able to do a couple mile range in canyons and stuff in Havasu, way more on the flat areas obviously.

That is a similar setup to what I have in the RZR. I have the in car radio and always carry a handheld for exploring or emergencies. It’s China stuff though not super high end.

I was able to talk to a @Bpracing1127 with a baofeng from my house to he was right under 2 miles as the crow flies. I know they aren’t the best, but for $20 I can’t complain a bit.

I'll text you a pic of my SHTF hand held. Again if I was racing around in the dirt I think what you have is why they sell a ton. Race Radios is in trouble for past non compliant radios, programming use-paid for channels, etc. Don't get your name on their mailing list. Also if we end up in a SHTF situation who gives a shit about a license.

A couple miles in a canyon is all your going to get possibly with 50 watts. 5 watts doesn't sound like much but it gets the job done.

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

If your standing in the beer isle and your wife is at the other end of the isle saying I dont think you should drink so much beer....fortunately your out of range. :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'll text you a pic of my SHTF hand held. Again if I was racing around in the dirt I think what you have is why they sell a ton. Race Radios is in trouble for past non compliant radios, programming use-paid for channels, etc. Don't get your name on their mailing list. Also if we end up in a SHTF situation who gives a shit about a license.

A couple miles in a canyon is all your going to get possibly with 50 watts. 5 watts doesn't sound like much but it gets the job done.

Yea I need to come back around and actually get my license, but my thought was like yours - in a SHTF deal I should have this crap and be able to program it, or at least know how to use it.

I have a little “portable” setup for bugging out in a car or using in the desert. 25 watt radio with a 12v cigarette adapter and a suction cup antenna mount. I can grab it, plug it in and it will work in any car should the need arise. And 5-6 el cheapo handhelds of course.

Icky

Reaction score
When did this crack down start, I bought mine a few years back and have yet to install it. I'm gonna put it in my car in the next few weeks and test it out with my FIL who has a pci that lives in the next track over.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I was looking into “affordable” coms for my rzr, mainly just for driver/passenger communication, never realized how complicated it is, so gave up, I’ll stick to yelling at each other at stops like we have been…lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
If memory serves me correct around 2004 there was a big push to start narrowing the bands. Due to the congestion. I've heard this is when the FCC started cracking down. But don't take that as gospel it's only rumor I've heard.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If memory serves me correct around 2004 there was a big push to start narrowing the bands. Due to the congestion. I've heard this is when the FCC started cracking down. But don't take that as gospel it's only rumor I've heard.

Rugged got pinched about 18 months ago and no longer sells preprogrammed radios, aside from GMRS stuff. You have to take an extra step to get your stuff programmed by a 3rd party, or do it yourself.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I was looking into “affordable” coms for my rzr, mainly just for driver/passenger communication, never realized how complicated it is, so gave up, I’ll stick to yelling at each other at stops like we have been…lol
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much you want to spend? I can get you a parts list of around $600 to have a fully functional 2 person in car intercom with car to car radio setup.

Icky

Reaction score
Rugged still has their sale going on, check their website. I'm going to be pulling the white one out and replacing it with my new one if someone wants it. My OCD can't stand the different colors. Not sure what it's worth.
20210916_162656.jpg
20210916_162704.jpg

Attachments

• 20210916_162656.jpg
    20210916_162656.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210916_162704.jpg
    20210916_162704.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 49

77charger

Reaction score

My uncles were into ham radios in the late 80s early 90s they had hand helds and car mobiles they all said antenna was everything not wattage.I remember all them talking from monterey park to saugus or arcadia on the 5 watt radio.I was able to hit keller peak with my baofeng from fullerton most nights and days too.I use my baofeng in the dunes works fine for us and if im on top of dune i can hit pretty good.But in the bottom of a big bowl even the 50watt may have trouble hitting camp

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
How much you want to spend? I can get you a parts list of around $600 to have a fully functional 2 person in car intercom with car to car radio setup.
Yes please with remote ptt buttons
Does this 45watt radio you posted function out of the box on the common channels?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Rugged still has their sale going on, check their website. I'm going to be pulling the white one out and replacing it with my new one if someone wants it. My OCD can't stand the different colors. Not sure what it's worth. View attachment 1052148 View attachment 1052149

If you need to program the black one at all, let me know. That’s a good little radio, same one I run, just not Rugged branded.
Rugged hasn’t sold those for a few years.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes please with remote ptt buttons
Does this 45watt radio you posted function out of the box on the common channels?

Oh jeez here you go with the special requests of remote PTT 😉. Define remote PTT for me. If you can deal with the PTT on the intercom and mount the intercom at arms reach, this is the ticket. A $300 Bluetooth music intercom with integrated PTT. If you want PTT buttons on the grab handle and the steering wheel for instance, then we must take another route.

CF226186-E62D-48E7-850C-C4007F70F838.png

As far as the radio, You will have to program it. That is the big legal change that happened with the radios. The radio mfgs are not allowed to put the private “common” channels in their products because they are the property of the people that own them.

I can assist you with the programming part if needed.

azsunfun

Reaction score
not familiar with off roading radios, but why not just a ham? boefang, kenwood, etc, if licence needed? are line of vision or reapeter towers?

Icky

Reaction score
If you need to program the black one at all, let me know. That’s a good little radio, same one I run, just not Rugged branded.
Rugged hasn’t sold those for a few years.
Thanks I'll find out in the next few weeks

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Why not just have Rugged program it when you buy it? Seems way easier and done that way, and for 157$ I’m sure they don’t charge that much for the programming.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
not familiar with off roading radios, but why not just a ham? boefang, kenwood, etc, if licence needed? are line of vision or reapeter towers?

Ashley if you ever want to come by I can show you what researched and invested in. I can talk from here at my casa to the 405 and Magnolia on 5 watts. No Repeater.

If anyone is truly concerned about performance and or safety, just get your HAM tech ticket... Why wouldn't you want to use repeaters. I can talk from Phoenix to all three adjacent states through repeaters and links.

Antenna tuning is more important that wattage in my experience.

Since everyone is technically illegal using commercial race radios/baofengs and GMRS... just mod a 150 dollar 80 watt Yeasu Ham and have access to the full 2M spectrum.

dspracing

Reaction score
Why not just have Rugged program it when you buy it? Seems way easier and done that way, and for 157$ I’m sure they don’t charge that much for the programming.
The rugged advantage is that the radio has been modified to be used with an intercom. The downside is that their hands are tied by the FCC. As LOF stated previously, there are much cheaper options but you will not have the intercom interface. For 99.9% of us, it's going to be easier to reprogram than try to integrate an intercom cable.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

They send you to RT systems to program. They can’t sell you a radio with private channels on it.

That and this radio is locked to GMRS channels only via Rugged’s firmware. It CANT be programmed. That is why the firmware must be reflashed to unlock it Rugged has another version of this 25 watt radio for $30 more locked to HAM.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If anyone is truly concerned about performance and or safety, just get your HAM tech ticket... Why wouldn't you want to use repeaters. I can talk from Phoenix to all three adjacent states through repeaters and links.

Because people’s wives will be discussing what flavor white claw to drink at the next stop from LHC to Nashville if we use repeaters.

guzman

Reaction score
Will i still have the intercom once i do this hack to the gmr25

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Is there any way to get the file with all the gmrs freq. that was spoken above in the first post. Please

The radio comes with all the GRMS frequencies programmed in. It is just locked to those frequencies. If that is all you want it for, just use it as is. If you want GRMS AND off-road frequencies, I can send you the file. You will have to reflash the firmware in order to use the file however.